• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 3: Bastion of Democracy

luchtafweer_8

Cut Off: September - November 1940
Initially General Winkelman managed to use the French and British units to hold a strip of land south, sometimes even pushing the Germans back. However, things soon turned bad: German reinforcements put great pressure on the British and French units east of The Hague, eventually pushing them back to the city itself.

holddenhaag.jpg

The Successful Defence of The Hague(The last line of text was clearly a perverse example of German propaganda, so Winkelman took the liberty to correct it)

Unfortunately the Germans managed to break trough the Belgian and French lines south of The Hague, which cut off The Netherlands from the French. Winkelman desperately ordered the French units southwards to make them defend their own homeland. France falling would spell disaster.

greb_scan_0002.jpg

Vile Germans smile at an abandoned French tank after most of the French divisions in the Netherlands retreated to their homeland. They will not be so happy any more once being ordered to attack the formidable defences of Fortress Holland, though.

Alas, at the beginning of November the Germans had broken trough the Maginot line to the east and managed to crush the French lines just south of Belgium. France was lost. The Dutch navy managed to save some British and French divisions trapped in Calais as a result of the German offensive. This however, was the only bright news in this month.

expforcessaved.jpg

The Dutch navy saves trapped allied troops.

France fell in late November. As a result, Den Haag had to be abandoned because the French troops defending it lost all sense of order. The fall of their homeland had been a hard hit on the men's morale. Another negative effect of the Fall of France was that Mussolini now felt confident enough to declare war on our ally, Greece. During the course of the fighting in The Netherlands the Greeks had send several divisions to Amsterdam as expeditionary forces. They had not seen battle yet, and were transported back to Athens immediately.

francebreaks.jpg

Abandoning Den Haag, and Mussolini's act of aggression against our Greek allies.

Victory against the Kriegsmarine: November 1940
The Dutch navy had been very active in the war. Dutch submarines had destroyed German shipping, and the Dutch cruisers and destroyers protected allied transports against German raiders. Together with the British we severely damaged two famous German ships. Our submarines scored several hits with their torpedoes. Commander Bussemaker was responsible for this victory. Although he begged the fleet department for funds to research new submarine tactics and material, Winkelman successfully managed to persuade the staff that air defence was more important during this stage of the war.

navalbattlesilverpit.jpg

The victorious battle of Silverpit

boat_o24_inspection_juliana_new_london_31aug1944_2.jpg

Royal Highness Princess Juliana thanks the crew of a Dutch submarine which participated in The Battle of Silverpit, damaging KMS Bismarck and KMS Tirpitz badly.

The Winter Battles of Den Helder: November - December 1940
winterbattledenhelder.jpg

During the months of November and December, Den Helder still suffered constant German attacks. Winkelman effectively shifted the Dutch and New Zealand divisions, to give the men some rest during the constant German attacks. However, all German attacks on Den Helder ended in Dutch victories.

bombingdenhelder.jpg

One thing was made clear during these battles: The Dutch Army needed protection against air attack.

The defences in the south would only see minor probing attacks by the Germans, which got repelled easily by our defenders. The Dutch survived the year 1940 against the German onslaught. Will Winkelman be able to successfully defend against the fascists for another year?

Last edited:
i'm gonna try this out! it looks pretty interesting
It is! Although the first years are very boring, just as 1940 where you are basically waiting for your manpower to reach positive numbers again.

I think the bastion of Democracy will fall soon, sadly.
I actually think my chances are quite good... I haven't played any further than the latest update but I almost reached a positive manpower again(Now I'm gaining 1.3 a month while I still need 5 manpower to reinforce all of my troops) - At the beginning of the war I still needed 20 manpower to reinforce my armies.

When you are certain that you will lose, you should evacuate troops to the UK and then to Dutch East Indies. Defending against AI Japan should be easier than against Germany ;)
Nah, this AAR is meant to show a defence of the Dutch Homeland. There will be no retreat!

Nah, this AAR is meant to show a defence of the Dutch Homeland. There will be no retreat!

Well said! Onward to victory! :D

The Netherlands getting cut off is not too much of a surprise although it would have been helpful if France had shown more resistance.

Its bad news that you've lost Den Haag (I'm guessing that's hurt your IC...). I think I would have been tempted to include the city in the fortified line. It wouldn't have made the front longer and, even though more exposed, the urban terrain would still have made it a defensible position.

The retreat from Calais was most interesting! :) Were those Allied divisions under your control before they retreated? Or did they become your forces when they retreated to your ships?

This is the first AAR about The Netherlands I've come across, and it's great!

Good to see you're holding on to the "Vesting Holland", just like our high command was planning to do irl. The one major difference being that you seem to be able to hold the line, while irl the "Grebbelinie" was breached during the initial German attack... Any plans regarding the Dutch East Indies when the Japanese attack? You wrote you shipped all of the KNIL to Europe, but perhaps you have one or two divisions to spare now the Allies are helping to keep the Germans at bay?

Will surely be following this one. Good luck!

I highly doubt the Dutch will fall. This resembles somewhat my game with Belgia in which I fortified the Northern border up to level 10 forts to defend France, trying to keep it alive.
Unfortunately the computer outwitted me and the French AI, going through Italy for the attack. Thus I was left alone with a heavily fortified Belgia and a ton of expeditionary forces. In the end (due to my fortification lines being broken at one weaker place) I decided to fall back to two level 10 fortification provinces. And what did I get? I actually sat there through the early 1940's and waited for a chance to make a counter-attack, which I eventually did.

Long story short; the Dutch can and probably will hold.

This looks great. I tried it with Luxemburg once but failed quite epically...

If holding off Germany with Holland is ambitious, then I can only salute the sheer optimism that trying it with Luxembourg involves.

Well said! Onward to victory! :D

The Netherlands getting cut off is not too much of a surprise although it would have been helpful if France had shown more resistance.

Its bad news that you've lost Den Haag (I'm guessing that's hurt your IC...). I think I would have been tempted to include the city in the fortified line. It wouldn't have made the front longer and, even though more exposed, the urban terrain would still have made it a defensible position.

The retreat from Calais was most interesting! :) Were those Allied divisions under your control before they retreated? Or did they become your forces when they retreated to your ships?

Indeed France did not put up a very strong fight. Then again, they rushed about 10 divisisions into the Netherlands and gave them to me as exp. forces.

Den Haag doesn't hurt: No IC or leadership, just a good port. And the allied divisions were indeed under my control, I desperately tried to return all of the expeditionary forces to their owners and back to France to keep the French from falling. Did not help :(... I did however manage to ship half of the Greek army back to Athens, which just in time saved this Greek city(and the Greek nation as a whole)

This looks great. I tried it with Luxemburg once but failed quite epically...
Thanks for reading! And Luxemburg seems almost impossible to me... Although I will try it once too.

This is the first AAR about The Netherlands I've come across, and it's great!

Good to see you're holding on to the "Vesting Holland", just like our high command was planning to do irl. The one major difference being that you seem to be able to hold the line, while irl the "Grebbelinie" was breached during the initial German attack... Any plans regarding the Dutch East Indies when the Japanese attack? You wrote you shipped all of the KNIL to Europe, but perhaps you have one or two divisions to spare now the Allies are helping to keep the Germans at bay?

Will surely be following this one. Good luck!
I'll have some ideas about the defence of the Dutch East Indies in my next update... Although I think it will be VERY hard to hold the colonies. And thanks for following!

Dutch will probaly fall soon, im afraid to say.
Gah, people have said that before! I'm still confident, although indeed the situation turned quite nasty. More on that in the next update :)

I highly doubt the Dutch will fall. This resembles somewhat my game with Belgia in which I fortified the Northern border up to level 10 forts to defend France, trying to keep it alive.
Unfortunately the computer outwitted me and the French AI, going through Italy for the attack. Thus I was left alone with a heavily fortified Belgia and a ton of expeditionary forces. In the end (due to my fortification lines being broken at one weaker place) I decided to fall back to two level 10 fortification provinces. And what did I get? I actually sat there through the early 1940's and waited for a chance to make a counter-attack, which I eventually did.

Long story short; the Dutch can and probably will hold.
Belgium sounds like a good nation to try too: Its army is way better than the Dutch in 1936 and you are bordering France, which will make it easier to prevent getting encircled like the Germans did to me this game. And indeed I am quite confident: Even with only Amsterdam under my control I can still survive, although Id bout I will lose Utrecht(basically the only other decent tile I still control, with minor industry, manpower, and leadership points)

Interesting :)

looking back now, do you think you might have been better off investing in fortresses from the start (rather than artillery) and possibly air defenses?

Nice job so far! I've been lurking on this AAR but I felt it was time to comment. I like how you've so far been able to hold off against the German onslaught. Seems the AI in HOI3 Semper Fi is actually alot more fierce then in HOI2 (I've not really dabbled much in HOI3 to be fair). That said, in regards to the colonies, I'm not sure how the Japanese AI is now although if the AI is still weak in that area, perhaps holding onto the colonies might not be so difficult after all....

If I may ask but how does the new expeditionary forces work in HOI3? Does the British and friends usually send you their own divisions by themselves or do you have to request military control? I am impressed though with the Allies providing you forces. Atleast you haven't been fighting the war on your own.

Keep up the good work! Let us hope that one day, it will be Dutch divisions liberating Holland this time around!

Interesting :)

looking back now, do you think you might have been better off investing in fortresses from the start (rather than artillery) and possibly air defenses?

Indeed I think I should not have done the artillery thing. It would have spared me from researching the artillery tech and the doctrine that gives it's bonuses. Apart from that, the manpower cost for artillery is just too big, and the Germans bombing me is the main cause of concern(In most battles I lost about 300 and the Germans more than a thousand men, but the bombing kept killing 200 men at a time... very frustrating). I think the arty cost me more than I earned from it.

On a closer note, I think the Dutch deserve some more manpower: Not being able to fully reinforce your army after mobilization even though I got all reserve mobilisation laws trough ASAP seems bugged to me. After all, in 1940 they had a fully mobilized army at their disposal.

If I would start over I would focus on forts and home-researched interceptors, so that I can build a line of 8 from the start or something. Licenced interceptors at the start of the game are just as bad as the Dutch(or worse with some nations, I think the Dutch start out with one interceptor tech already researched).

Nice job so far! I've been lurking on this AAR but I felt it was time to comment. I like how you've so far been able to hold off against the German onslaught. Seems the AI in HOI3 Semper Fi is actually alot more fierce then in HOI2 (I've not really dabbled much in HOI3 to be fair). That said, in regards to the colonies, I'm not sure how the Japanese AI is now although if the AI is still weak in that area, perhaps holding onto the colonies might not be so difficult after all....

If I may ask but how does the new expeditionary forces work in HOI3? Does the British and friends usually send you their own divisions by themselves or do you have to request military control? I am impressed though with the Allies providing you forces. Atleast you haven't been fighting the war on your own.

Keep up the good work! Let us hope that one day, it will be Dutch divisions liberating Holland this time around!

In the few games I played I have seen the Japanese AI invade the East Indies if they managed to annex Nationalist China before 1940(which has been the case in all of my games). Besides, at the moment I really cant spare any troops for the East Indies. I really need the Soviets to DoW soon, because the Germans have been attritioning me with air attacks and it costed me a lot of men. The biggest mistake I made is indeed my lack of defence against the Luftwaffe.

Expeditionary forces work good: I had a target for the French to defend an area and they promptly send forces there, although it could also just be a 'standard' AI action. New Zealand, Canada, and Greece send about 10 divisions in total without me asking for it with a defend target, which was a great help(especially the NZ division with two AA brigades... Saved a few battles but unfortunately got decimated in 1940 by the Luftwaffe)

I'll try to get an update up tommorow. I've had quite a busy month with my study, but my one-week holiday finally arrived :)

Very nice AAR mate. :)

I have been watching this AAR for some time too, and I really love the idea, the strategy and the way you write your AAR.

PS: Good you have some holiday now, because you never know the so lurking community will do if you're too busy... :p