• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Trytols

Captain
30 Badges
Mar 4, 2012
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
Let's say you play a OPM or a small nation, else this will be kinda pointless if you play only powerhouses nations.

I was thinking if it can be a good idea to let your "5.000" army able to "hide" (Exiled and visible to enemies) IN the fortress of your region, becoming untargetable, adding to garrison but still "under siege".

I mean, lets say France invade you with 30k soldiers, You will be able to delay the battle joinin the fort garrison and wait that the allied armies come your territory and rescue you.

Then, once allies arrive, you can sortie from fort and join the allied army versus the invaders.
Is this a good suggestion for OPM\Small countries?

Last edited:
Reactions:
This sounds really nice and i think the engine already has the ability of taking and moving units offscreen( transport ships). Hopefully it is doable and something that the devs agree with.

I disagree. I'd prefer not to come across 30k hiding in a fort..

Reactions:
I'm pretty sure by "hide" he just means not be engage-able. You'd most likely see them in the garrison display.

Yes. I mean exactly that. This is for "simulate" an army hiding behind walls but able anyway of attack enemies. An improvement of the "sortie" feature. There is no point to have 5k soldiers wiped out at day 1 of the war cause you MUST fight enemies and then have NO ARMY AT ALL cause that. In my opinion is way more historical accurate this way.

The example may be Sardinia-Piedmont during Napoleonic wars. They waited Austria before engagin the french army cause they alone had no chance. For the actual game mechanichs you can only run away but if you have nowhere to go you lose all your army instantly.

I disagree. I'd prefer not to come across 30k hiding in a fort..

Of course the limit may be capped by the size of the fort or for others factors. Do you want exploit a feature that don't even exist? :D

If I saw 30k enemies hiding in a fort I would just park 35k outside the walls and force the enemy to commit to battle.

If I saw 30k enemies hiding in a fort I would just park 35k outside the walls and force the enemy to commit to battle.

Still you must waste time in sieging and the defenders will have their army exists for more years instead of get deleted in 1 day. And in that time many things may happen.

The example of 30k doesnt fit, i was talking of early game small OPM armies. Dunno for lategame, I just had an idea I really dunno how it can be perfectly implemented in game.

That sounds like WAD to me.

30k armies tended not to get sieged in history because it was strategically imprudent not because it was impossible to fit 30k men in a fortified city.

Reactions:
Indeed I was talking since the beginnin of small opm armies defending.

If you have 30k army you dont need (and can't) to go in a fortress. But if you have 3k maybe you dont want to face a 30k invading force cause there is no way to "save" your small army as opm and dont rebuild it spending gold and manpower cause there was nowhere to go.

I had a similar suggestion a time ago with the Knights as the inspiration. It didn't get too much response but maybe some of the ideas from there could work better in the new fort system: --

Firstly a limit to soldiers(not garrison) in a fort based on fort level. May be modified by ideas, policies etc.

Different units have different effects: Infantry contribute to garrison size(and size of enemy army needed), cavalry gets protection from the walls( and maybe night raiding(small attrition to the enemy)), artillery get up the fort defense and bombarding(small attrition). All these units take damage the same way as the garrison.

Leaders also play a role and could be assigned to the fort(this was not in the suggestion):
Higher maneuver than the attacker will give a -1 to siege progress(smuggling rations in to the fort), this will be a lighter version of the no blockade modifier and won't add up with it.
Fire and shock help in sorties(because it's a battle)
Leader siege could give extra attrition to the besiging army. Why? Because if you are good at besieging, i bet you know where it is best for the enemy to go to siege it as quick as possible and you could prepare bombarding and similar to those areas.

Reactions:
It's necessary IMO, or rather some similar change is necessary. This is because small armies often are actually worse than useless in this game as it stands. It's better to have no army whatsoever than a tiny one which, when stackwiped, contributes to the enemy's warscore against you. Totally absurd - they need to be given some use.

Last edited:
Reactions:
If you hide a large army in a fort it should very fast take very heavy attrition from blocked supply routes if the fort goes under siege.

Lets say a 10k stack hidden in a fort goes out of supplies from siege, they should die within months without food and water. They would need to break out.

So you are basically suggesting regular regiments to be able to enter forts and serve as a garrison, which I fully support! Just imagine how more interesting combat is going to be.

Reactions:
You could be able to top up the garrison with your regiments up to 3 x Fort level i.e. 2k on a level 1, 4k on level 2, 6k on level 3 etc.

when you leave or sortie the original actual garrison remains.