• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AlbieDamned

Captain
12 Badges
Apr 27, 2005
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
I'm trying to figure out the formula for determining what percentage of resources you get from non-national provinces. I know the base value of 20% comes from misc.txt:

# IC Non-National Province Multiplier
0.2 #0.3333

I'm playing as Japan in a 1936 campaign. I conquered the Dutch East Indies and then made peace with the Netherlands, so the provinces there are now owned by me not occupied. I'm getting exactly 44% of the original resource amount. I'm also getting 44% from the 3 non-national provinces in the Kwangtung area, which Japan of course owns right from the start of the game.

I'm wondering what raised it from 20% to 44%? I don't think it's something that grows the longer you own it, since otherwise the Kwangtung provinces should be higher. I also don't think it's a minister effect, since the various minister settings can affect foreign IC and manpower use but not foreign resource use.

Does anyone know what the additional factors are?

The last time I checked, you get 50% of the resources (not 20%). This is the new base for modifiers (machine tool techs, difficulty, peace time modifier and the 2 events which improve the industrial efficiency by 1%).

It seems you played on hard and have basic and improved machine tools researched.

I am playing on Hard, and I do have Basic and Improved Machine Tools, but I also have Advanced Machine Tools. So you're saying the "Industrial Efficiency" modifier affects foreign resource use? If so, then that's +15% for me. What is the foreign resource usage modifier for playing on hard? And why do you say the base is 50% not 20% when misc.txt says 20%?

Because the 20% value is for IC, not resources.

Edit to be more comprehensive:
On hard, you take a 20% hit to total IC and resources. I think you're asking about IC though, in which case the formula (I believe) looks like this:

You capture 5 IC. Your total IC on hard goes up by 5 * (0.2 + 0.15 [Prince of terror]) * industrial bonus * 0.8. It's been a while since I've played Germany, but between ministers and tech, your industrial bonus should be around 1.3.

Hmm, that gives me 36.5%. What am I missing?

Last edited:
misc.txt says 20% to IC output and not to resources.

For resources the following modifiers apply:

Base for annexed territory is 50%.
Base for occupied territory is 40%.

The following modifiers apply to all resources:
- All Machine Tool Techs apply accordingly. (+5%; 3-times)
- The peacetime modifier applies accordingly (for those countries having one like US or UK).
- Eventeffects ("Private Initiative" and "Gouvernment nationalizes private sector") for +1% each.
- Resourcemodification due to difficulty (+40%, +20%, 0, -20%, -40% - for v.easy, easy, normal, hard, v.hard).

So playing on hard, your foreign resource modifier is 40% with 3 Machine Tool techs, it should be 46%. I have no clue why you have 44%.

Ok Mediator, that seems like a pretty accurate formula. I would compute it as 45% though - start with 50%, add 15% for Machine Tool techs, and subtract 20% for difficulty. I think the percentages are additive, not percentages of each other. That's how it seems to work elsewhere in the game. But I still can't explain why I'm getting 44% not 45%. I think there might be one more time-based factor since I noticed this morning that it went up ever so slightly after a few more months of playing. I didn't have time to do the math again - I'll check that tonight. I also didn't have time to check if it went up everywhere or just in certain provinces, but I would guess it's everywhere.

By the way ar13, I was asking about resources not IC.

Nope, the percentages are not additive, they are percentages of each. So it goes:

0,5*0,8*1,15=0,46

So you should produce 14,76 energy in the chinese province 1203 - Tangshan (more if you got some events).

AlbieDamned said:
Why would the percentages not be additive here, when they are additive in all the other formulas in the game?

that's a question you should ask to Johan, I can only report what I am seeing in the game.

However it makes sense.

The 50% for annexed territory IS the new base. The difficulty modifier affects the base to create the modified base and from now on all modifiers are additive (the machine tools techs plus anything coming from events).

I'm seeing 25% of resources from screenshots on very hard. This is without calculating the formulas.

Screenshots before and after:

Baku with 80 oil before and 20 oil later (nominally 58 oil)
Helsinki with 9.66 before and 2.42 later (nominally 7 metal)

Using Mediator's formula and the base resources values from Wiki, his formula seems to be correct.

Baku oil = 58*0.5*0.6*1.15 = 20.01 when owned by Germany
Helsinki metal = 7*0.5*1.15*0.6 = 2.415 when owned by Germany
Baku oil when controlled =58*0.4*0.6*1.15 = 16 which matches a different screenshot that I had. I was wondering why there were two different values and now I know.

I just do a before and after comparison and figure on 25% resources when playing very hard. Which is backed up by Mediator's math.