• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zorro

Field Marshal
92 Badges
Mar 15, 2003
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Majesty 2
I have beem a vassal of Swadia for some time and I have one village, castle, and town. I have two lords that a friends and I have many that I have good relations with. I want to form my own kingdom. Is there anyway I can get these lords to rebel with me? I'm not sure how I can declare independence. Swadia is becoming quite large and I want to do it before they get any stronger.

The only way you can is to capture a town or castle while not being a member of any faction. At this point, you will form your own nation, and then be able to name it, and so on. A tutorial will come up walking you through how to manage your nation. After you have done all the intial stuff you can go talk to those lords you have good relations with and ask them to join you, by selecting the "There is something we must discuss in private" if i rember correctly. It will then do the standard check of relation+persuasion=percent chance or something like that. Should you succed they will join you as vassals. Note whomever you take this city or castle from will start at war with you, and will usually send a large army to try and reclaim the area immediatly. Also all other factions that you have negative relations with will also declare war on you, upon you becoming your own kingdom. Note also that legitimacy may play a roll in the chance you get a lord from another faction join you.

Hopefully you'll have 1-3 others when you first start out, then over time you will get more as factions are wiped out, and so on. There is no real ideal number, or a base number to be successful. However you should remember that you can grant fiefs to your companions, once you are king.

Forming your own kingdom can be a hassle or comfortable.

A hassle, meaning that you will be perpetually sucked into defensive fights. This might be the way you look to play the game, as it brings non stop action.

Comfortable, which means in my book that you can break free from the perpetual requirement of defending your kingdom. Warband offers the possibility of deleguation of war management by electing a marshall. Very useful as you can choose the size of the campaign and the way the campaign is led if you pick up the accurate lord as a marshall.

Before starting your kingdom, you must invest into certain operations to warrant the environment can sustain your goals.

Character: your character must be able to generate cash fast and this, in a restricted environment (looted villages, closed cities), whether you rely on trade or battle/loot to do it. Starting with 70,000 gold helps but you must make sure you can generate cash on the fly. Attrition can be punishing so be prepared.

Villages: defending a starting kingdom will take its claim. You need high relationship with villages both in your kingdom and in other kingdoms. If you rely only on your kingdom villages, anytime a village is looted means you cut off from possible recruiting. Getting 8 or 10 villages to support you completely allows fast and large levies, which makes defense of a starting kingdom easy.

Lords: you need friends in all sides. The reason is that as soon as you start your own kingdom, it is done at the expense of your former kingdom. Lords from your former faction consider you as an enemy, whether or not you befriended them. Right to rule might help to overcome this but it is easier to recruit outside your former faction.
The second thing is that they wont defect to you on ground you are friends. They need other factors to join your side. You need to target lords who no longer trust their liege.

Consistency of the faction: settling grudges have been reinstated. This said, it does not play a big part. You can recruit lords hostile to your ruling philosophy at no cost.
But at start, you will benefit from recruiting lords that go well together as you will be able to pair them.
Anytime you distribute land, give the castle to a high renowned lord and the associated village to a less renowned lord who will get well along the castle owner. This will lead the pair of lords to befriend each other and work as a unit. This reduces the probability they are singled out in a fight. The higher the consistency of the faction, the more the faction works well together. An important feature at start as you'll need all your lords to work on defending the kingdom.
So if you start with one city, three castles, you will need six lords to pair them to lead to an efficient defense of your kingdom.

Location of the starting city: if you locate the city at the crossroads of several kingdom, you will easily turn it into the wealthiest city on the (game) board.

If I have read this correctly, I can't form a new kingdom if I am a vessel of another faction. This is a little annoying because I am part of the Nord faction and I have done a lot of work to gain respect and a reputation within the Nord faction. What is the highest position I can get within a faction if I remain loyal to that faction.

From what I have read it seems that having a good right to rule rating as well as having a good honour or dishonour rating are important when you create your own faction. I was wondering what rating would people recommend before creating your own faction.

Lords: you need friends in all sides. The reason is that as soon as you start your own kingdom, it is done at the expense of your former kingdom. Lords from your former faction consider you as an enemy, whether or not you befriended them. Right to rule might help to overcome this but it is easier to recruit outside your former faction.
The second thing is that they wont defect to you on ground you are friends. They need other factors to join your side. You need to target lords who no longer trust their liege
Careful here. In my experience recruiting lords from neutral factions will only make them hostile to you. I would focus on converting lords from your old faction, which is already at war with you, as a first priority

davidGB said:
If I have read this correctly, I can't form a new kingdom if I am a vessel of another faction
You can. Capture a random town/castle in a war and demand that your liege grant it to you. If he refuses then you have the option to declare yourself independent. Your existing holdings will form a new kingdom and you'll be at war with your old king

If I have read this correctly, I can't form a new kingdom if I am a vessel of another faction. This is a little annoying because I am part of the Nord faction and I have done a lot of work to gain respect and a reputation within the Nord faction. What is the highest position I can get within a faction if I remain loyal to that faction. .

Well if you install the claimant to the Nord throne you will be the permanent marshal of the Nord faction from then on.

Careful here. In my experience recruiting lords from neutral factions will only make them hostile to you. I would focus on converting lords from your old faction, which is already at war with you, as a first priority

Most of the times, when a new kingdom is formed, it is from land taken from factions other than the character's former faction.
As reclaiming lost land is a CB, all the factions whose land was taken previously and is included in the kingdom are potentially hostile to the new kingdom.
Recruiting lords from them weakens them a bit before an attack that is unavoidable.
And it is much easier as recruiting from the former faction requires right to rule.

So now my problem is acutally trying to break away. I went to the King and broke the oath but he took my lands and I didn't have the option to fight him. I reloaded and attacked a castle of a faction we were at war with. I requested it and hoped he wouldn't grant it to me but he did. Is hoping he will deny me something the best chance I have? I do not want to do the rebel thing.

That is the only way. Breaking one's oath does not lead to the possibility of forming a kingdom.
The only way is to get the screen after the King denied a conquered land to you.

So you have to capture something else, a city or a castle and hope that the faction you are soldiering for is not in a configuration putting you as the least bad choice possible (King gives land according to this standard)

I had a similar problem and had to capture much more than I wanted to at start before the King denied me.
If your game is not that advanced, I think it will happen at the second try or third try. Maybe capturing a city will increase the chances.

My question is: does being not at war with the faction you take the city from increase your chances of being denied?
For example:
Let's say I'm Vaegirs, and am at peace. To become hostile with the Sarranid Sultanate, I assault one of their lord's armies and destroy it, making myself enemies with the Sultanate. With that, I can besiege their cities. Let's say I take a city from the Sultanate. Since only I am hostile to the Sultanate, and it is not a legal war between them and the Vaegirs, will the king be less likely to give me the fief? Do I get to keep it if he doesn't? I mean legally, it wouldn't be his to give me.