Jan 31, 2018
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III
SO2wOcS.jpg

Y8Hvnf6.jpg

This mod adds lots of details and improvements to the base game. It has dynamic country flags and names that change based on ideology, adds several formable nations, allows natural reunifications to occur between opposing governments of the same nation (east and west Germany, for example) and has an experimental political turmoil event chain which theoretically gives every country in the world the ability to join any alliance.

Download:

(DH Full)
Version 3.0: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mvnf9y8ctv5m6hn/CSMF.rar?dl=0 (*Latest Release)
Version 2.0: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsi79pdyrbhcwwz/CSMF.zip?dl=0
Version 1.0: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pap8nf8yriprtzk/Cosmetic Features Full.rar?dl=0

(DH Lite)
Version 3.0: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k4uqxqfrrnef9sj/Cosmetic Features V3.rar?dl=0
Version 2.0: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrdhuq67hn2vhxy/Cosmetic Features v2.rar?dl=0
Version 1.0: https://www.dropbox.com/s/begojfjaip1ztgc/Costmetic Features.rar?dl=0

Flags - I've added hundreds of new flags to the game. These are based on real historical flags representing the specific ideologies of their respective countries. Not every ideology is different enough to warrant a totally separate flag (social liberal and market liberal, for instance, could both reasonably be considered centrist). Most countries have about 3-4 different flags, and some have as many as many as 8. Some smaller nations, however, do not have any alternative flags (such as Namibia or Nicaragua). The new formable nations have their own sets of flags as well. Some flags are actually specific to who has puppeted a country. For instance, a German puppeted Norway will be called "Reichskommissariat Norwegen" (this is different from an independent fascist/nazi norway) while a Soviet puppeted Norway will be "People's Republic of Norway" with differing flags, of course. All of the new flags also have accompanying counters and icons.

Formable Nations - There are several new events which allow the formation of larger theoretical countries. These include:
The Roman Empire: Formable by Italy. Requires at least three of the following: Rome, Athens, Istanbul, London, Cairo, Paris, or Madrid.
Austria-Hungary: Formable by either Austria or Hungary. Can be formed either diplomatically through a secret event chain, or by either country controlling both Vienna and Budapest.
Scandinavia: Formable by Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, or Iceland. Requires control of at least two Scandinavian capitals (starting country's counts).
Byzantium: Formable by Greece. Requires control over Athens and Istanbul.
Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth: Formable by either Poland or Lithuania. Requires control over Warsaw and Kaunas.
Arab-Federation: Formable by Iraq, Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Yemen and Palestine. Requires control over Cairo, Jerusalem, and Baghdad.
China: Fordable by any of the Chinese warlord states assuming that Nationalist China no longer exists. Requires control over Beijing and Chongqing.
Gran Columbia: Formable by Columbia. Requires control over Bogotá and Caracas.

Reunifications - Nations that can be split ideologically (such as Nationalist Spain and the Spanish Republic) can now reunify assuming that one country's government changes to match the other. The country which will take the dominant role in the annexation process is always the one whose ideology is already naturally aligned (Nationalist Spain being Autocrat/Fascist, for instance). For example, if the Soviet Union performs a successful coup on west Germany while east Germany exists, east Germany will automatically annex west Germany. If east Germany does not exist, west Germany will simply become east Germany as usual. Additionally, if a player were to manually change their ideology in the diplomatic menu, they are now given the option to form the new opposition government through the flagchange event. Also, a player that is on the receiving of an annexation will always be notified by an event beforehand, so there is no worry about a game abruptly ending with no explanation due to being coup'd.

The countries that this currently applies to include:
Germany/DDR/DFR
France/Vichy France
DPRK/Korea
Communist China/Nationalist China
Spanish Republic/Nationalist Spain

Political Turmoil Event Chain: I have added an experimental set of decisions that allow players as well as the AI to more radically influence the direction that their nation takes in WW2. These events may seem redundant, but they do in fact allow for interesting scenarios that are otherwise impossible in the base game. For example, the UK can leave the Allies, join the Axis or Comintern, or simply remain neutral despite being the leader of their respective alliance. This is not just a random free-for-all either. Nations which are already members of a major alliance have a lower likelihood of leaving and joining another compared to neutral countries. Additionally, nations are more likely to join the alliance which currently reflects their respective ideology (centrists lean towards Allies, Right-wingers towards Axis, and Left-wingers towards Comintern). The decision is deliberately structured so that AI countries do not collectively take decisions all at once, and some countries may never take the decision at all over the course of the game. Due to the highly randomized nature of these events (which is a major turn-off for some players) they are disabled by default. To enable them, simply go to to db\events.txt in the mod folder and find the second to last line "#event = "db\events\mod\politicalturmoil.txt" and erase the "#" symbol.

My long-term goal for this mod is to refine the new content, finish applying it to every reasonable nation, add unique artistic elements (title screen, etc.), and add a new scenario. I intend to add a few more formable nations in the future. This is the earliest version of the mod I have released, and I intend to continue working on it until my previous goals are met. I look forward to your feedback.

Last edited:

Khor

Lt. General
2 Badges
Jan 27, 2011
  • For The Glory
  • Stellaris Sign-up
It is impressive. One more thing could be added if you feel like it. If a dissent rate is too high, or if a larger government meddles in your affairs, than there could be a civil war. You already have chopped up nations for it. So in the '30s Weimar Republic is not DFR and German Union (or something like that) is not DDR, but everything else could be the same.

John Doe

Sergeant
29 Badges
Jan 31, 2018
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III
It is impressive. One more thing could be added if you feel like it. If a dissent rate is too high, or if a larger government meddles in your affairs, than there could be a civil war. You already have chopped up nations for it. So in the '30s Weimar Republic is not DFR and German Union (or something like that) is not DDR, but everything else could be the same.
This is a good idea and I think I will try to implement it. The question is: how high should dissent be to trigger such an event and what options should the player be given to counter it (if any)? My first thought is that at 25% dissent a country has a high chance of losing control over puppet states and they can either choose to allow them to break away or go to war with them (causing further dissent). At 50% maybe there's a high chance for internal nations (Ukraine in the Soviet Union for instance) of breaking away and the player has the option of either allying them or going to war. At 75% the country automatically loses control of all puppets, all internal nations are released, and the country is put at war with any "shadow governments" (Russia for the Soviet Union) that they may have, or maybe the player has a choice to become that opposing government if they desperately wish to avoid war. I'll play around with this tomorrow and see if I can get it working. Thanks for the recommendation.

Khor

Lt. General
2 Badges
Jan 27, 2011
  • For The Glory
  • Stellaris Sign-up
To save tags it would also be doable, to just choose a successor nation after 75% dissent and let a lot of revolts happen, which the nation should deal with. So in case of SU, there can be either SU or Russia and with various governments for both. The player has a choice if that is happening, and it would be random for the AI. So for instance a communist SU falls and a new Russian Monarchist state could lead a war against a lot of revolters and partisans or SU becomes a democratic SU and fights the rebels. With actual tags and actual civil war would be better, but there won't be any possibility for that.
AI could also randomize of letting nations go or declaring war. So SU could let the Baltic states go, but declare war on Ukraine.
Breakaway nations would give dissent, but annexing defeated puppets would actually lower them. Why? It shows, that the government is still in power and they have the means to overcome chaos.

Last edited:

der Kriegsherr

Sith Shaman
38 Badges
Oct 27, 2010
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Darkest Hour
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
@John Doe

Thanks, man, this is really helpful seeing as some of my custom-designed shields/flags...weren't exactly up to scratch. In fact, a few of them were complete crap.

V2

John Doe

Sergeant
29 Badges
Jan 31, 2018
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III
Hello again everyone. I have recently finished the second iteration of this mod. I have added a new set of civil war events (triggered by high dissent), several new formable nations, a new playable scenario, and many new flags. I hope you all enjoy. I am also working on porting this mod over to DH full.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrdhuq67hn2vhxy/Cosmetic Features v2.rar?dl=0

V3 and DH Full

John Doe

Sergeant
29 Badges
Jan 31, 2018
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III

John Doe