• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

kingofeurope

First Lieutenant
54 Badges
Mar 22, 2012
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
Hello readers. You are most welcome.

This will be my first ever AAR.

Game Rules: everything on normal except lucky nations( none)
Mod: HRE improvement mod V5.0 (thank you Sudertum)( Sub-mod for D&T)
Start Date: 10. Jan. 1356
Rules:
No cheats
No reloading

Goals: Finish the game

AAR story will be formed after events that happen in-game. I will casually play the game, and later post it.
I'm thinking that Every chapter ( every post) includes 5 game years( except the first one 1356-1560)

Obviously all ideas/suggestions, I need them.

Last edited:
Introduction - The story Pt. 1

The year is 1356. Grand Master Winrich von Kniprode is sitting on his chair, in his Hall in Elbing. He is thinking...

156 years ago, 500 crusaders arrived near what is now Riga. The Order conquered and converted the local Baltic people in the south, Finno-Ugric people in the north. Fpr over a Century, his predecessors have fought against the enemies of Christ. Winrich has been the Grandmaster for 4 years. There is almost no-one to fight. Only the Lithuanians in South-East. The relations aren't good with Poland either. "We are not recognized as crusaders of the north anymore. It is my duty now, to prove them wrong. The glory of the Order must be raised into the sky. It is I, I who must do it. I shall leave a glorious State behind me." Winrich has stood up from his chair. He walks out of the hall, into a somewhat busy town square of Elbing, a small town with 4500 people, but it is the capital.

Order's lands occupy the coasts of South-Eastern Baltic Sea, the sea from where the first crusaders stepped onto this land. In the north, Livonian Order is ruling the lands, though under the command of Teutonic order. Bishoprics are scattered around the lands of the Order. the Order has a narrow path along the coast from the southern Teutonic Order to the Lands of Livonian Order, making it easy for robbers to steal small merchants and even large caravans, not to mention single persons. Due to that, Winrich has hardly been to Riga, Dorpat or Reval. Further away from the coast next to narrow path, is the Lithuanian lands and because the relations arent very warm, it is impossible to pass trough that land, which would be a safer route. For several years, even before Winrich became Grandmaster, he thought that those lands must be taken for the Order. The thoughts however have stayed like this...

Territory of Teutonic Order and his subordinates
4gaJ4X8.jpg

Last edited:
Best of luck, especially since this is your first AAR!

Cheers!

Chapter 1 - Preparations

Winrich has summoned several diplomats into his hall. He has written letters in order to make alliances with the neighbours of his enemies. one by one, diplomats come to him, Winrich gives them the letters saying where the letters shall be delivered. " Praha" , "Novgorod" , "This goes to Stockholm" , "Smolensk" , "Take this to Buda" . Winrich dismisses them. He expects answers in a few days. Winrich has decided that , war must be made against the Polish king.
uq1gT02l.jpg

But first Lithuania must be attacked, and the long-lasting dispute of the Landbridge must be broken.

Winrich calls for a small army reform , to increase the size of the Order's armies.
HYWYNMtl.jpg

Immedate recruitment of men also begins, 7000 men isn't enough to hold a war, especially against the Lithuanians and Polish.

In the following days, the diplomats come back from their destinations, most of them with good news. only the Hungarian king has refused to make an alliance. The diplomat from Novogorod however, comes back with a different letter. Novgorod is calling for aid against Golden Horde. Winrich reluctantly goes to the aid of novgorod. But no physical actions are made for the war. Recruitment is still in process.

Diplomatics of Teutonic Order, after the return of the Diplomats.
pdOvcjil.jpg

Last edited:
Hey I thought we were friends! And you want attack my home with this gang of murderous thieves? Anyway I hope this AAR go well for you

Last edited:
It's always important to have powerful friends nearby! :cool:

You don't see too many EU3 AARs any more. This ought to be interesting!

You don't see too many EU3 AARs any more. This ought to be interesting!

Eu4 killed Eu3! :ninja: Well, I'm disappointed when I say that despite owning Eu3 for all these years, I barely logged half as many hours on that game as the fourth! :mellow:

CHapter 2 - Destiny of The Order

But then, nothing happened. Winrich couldnt do anything. He knows that without a valid reason, foreign leaders will consider him as a warmonger, a tyrann. (apparently I dont have any casus belli against Pagans) The army has been recruited.
o7jGS9zl.jpg

Meanwhile, Lithuanian armies have annexed Mazovia.
Bk9Ldt0l.jpg

Winrich doesnt like the situation. He must look for possibilities to fulfill his missions, to show the world Who the Order is, kill his enemies and rule over them.

peace was made with the Golden horde. and for 2 years everything was quiet. Then, Bohemia called for aid against France, who had attacked Provence. Even though joining the war. Winrich saw no possibility and the need to send an army there.
France took some land from provence and occupied Burgundian lands with his ally, Savoy, eventually taking some land from them aswell and having Burgundy release Nevers. The French king sent a peace deal with a messenger to Winrich, and Winrich accepted the peace, as there was nothing to be done in the war anyway.
Once again the Order lived in peace, living a regular every-day life. No wars threatened the lands and people of the Order.

Then, suddenly, a messenger with a disturbing message came into the hall. He came from Livonian Order, telling that French troops have landed in livonia. Winrich however couldn't do anyhting, as he had already made peace with the french.
Ums7mM8l.jpg

and then a few months later, news came that Milan, the leader of the opposition side against France, accepted to give France Liepaja, a land that belonged to Livonian Order.
0Z7JPIFl.jpg

Winrich was furious. But yet again, for now he could do nothing. He had to wait for his moment to launch an attack. "It seems, that it is Order's destiny to be at presence, but yet not aswell. just a holefiller in Europe. Teutonic Order was cut from Livonian Order and other subordinates. Trade must continue through the sea now, announced Winrich. Every merchant knows, that Seatrade in the Baltic Sea is very dangerous, Sudden storms, but above all Sea Bandits, raiding every merchant ship they see. Sometimes They have formed groups of ships, mostly stolen ones, and attack even convoys. There are very few warships, that are guarding the Convoys so they are a pretty easy target.

In the West, news that Brandenburg is expanding his territory, came.
Territory of Brandenburg.
GYmFeN5l.jpg

It has been over 12 years now, that Winrich decided to make the Order stand out from others. nothing has happened, expect some wars and also losing province to france. Winrich sits in his hall, goes out to the town square, welcomes regular guests, but thats it. Winrich wants to Show his people that he is a capable Grandmaster, that he is capable of making war, and bringing wealth and power to the Order. But this hasnt happened...

Wow, a very eventful AAR I must say. I hope you didnt fall asleep, like I almost did during playing.

The Teutonic Knights can form Prussia can't they? I presume then, they can form Germany too if given the chance?

I can't recall, and I often don't spend too much time east of the Danube unless I'm playing as Russia or trying to form the Mughals both back in EU3 and now in EU4.

Hello, kingofeurope, definite sub, this looks interesting.

Well, if I continue my AARs , you will see alot more AARs for Eu3. I don't have Eu4, with no plans getting it.

Good - I don't plan to get it either!

Nice a Teutonic Order AAR now subbed.

Pretty historic game so far, as Winrich was quite peaceful for a Grand Master, prefering to improve the economy and trade income also trying to reduce the hate of the neighbours and get the trust of them back.

Think due lack of CB for a proper way to expand, opening a COT and starting to "absorb" the vasalls (Riga!) should reduce the waiting time to get Liepaja back.

two things.

1) Teutonic Order changes to Prussia as long as you own East Prussia and are a Protestant Religion. And yes, they can form Germany.

3) I bought EUIV the day it came out, and have put about 6 days worth of gaming into it. Still dont like it. I keep giving it more of an opinion, but I like EUIII alot more. Now I want to do an EUIII AAR.

two things.

1) Teutonic Order changes to Prussia as long as you own East Prussia and are a Protestant Religion. And yes, they can form Germany.

3) I bought EUIV the day it came out, and have put about 6 days worth of gaming into it. Still dont like it. I keep giving it more of an opinion, but I like EUIII alot more. Now I want to do an EUIII AAR.

Hmm, I adore the entire EU series, Victoria, I guess CK but I've never been good at the game so I tend not to play it that much. The only Paradox title I was extremely, and I emphasize extremely, displeased with was/has been HoI3. I haven't really played the game since it came out. I went back to playing HoI2 and the various add-ons, expansions, etc. based on the HoI2 engine. I conservatively estimate I probably played upwards of 1,000+ hours of HoI2 between 2005-2007 when I had a lot of free time, an additional couple hundred since, probably no more than about 40 hours of HoI3. I just don't like the game at all.

Unfortunately, the release of new games always means the old ones fade away, but it's always nice to see them hang around in the forum per AARs.

I rather enjoyed HOI3. But the again, that was my Paradox Cherry pop.

Haha, I despise it with a passion, even though I follow a few HoI3 AARs just for fun.

Chapter 3 - Change of Destiny

For another 2 years, life in the Order was the same. Winrich decided, after having a mysterious man suggest him that, to start working on the economy of Order.
Plans were made to build a Center of trade in Danzig.

But then, News came that Smolensk is at war with Lithuania. Winrich knew what this meant. He went to the town square, after having sent messages to northern Subordinates, that War is imminent against the Lithuanians. He gave a speech in the Town Center: " People, I am to announce, that We are going into war against the heretic pagans of Lithuania. We mus aid our ally against the savages that live there. To War!"
cx2zKlgl.jpg

Winrich immediately ordered, another army to be recruited. 15000 more men are being recruited.

War was declared. Novgorod and Poland however had joined with the Lithuanians, and so the Order had 3 enemies to fight. Allies of he Order, Sweden and Bohemia were called upon to aid Winrich.
q2pOLMMl.jpg

The polish army was defeated in Mazovia, and the routing units were captured or killed. Nothing was left of the Polish army.
f3qD5MNl.jpg

The war went very well. Peace was made with Poland, demanding some territories from them. and Novgorod, which was of no interest to Winrich.
Soon all the armies of Lithuania were eliminated and Sieges began.
NB! warning, large picture, sorry
gs1sYpx.jpg

And then Winrich , after Lithuanian lands were almost entirely occupied, made a peace deal with Lithuanian king.
The war is over. Teutonic Order is Glorious. Winrich has succeeded to increase the Glory and Prestige of the Order.
NB: Warning, large picture, sorry
KrqcVor.jpg

New territory of the Order
Xhi0yYtl.jpg

Missionaries were immediately sent to the newly-conquered lands.
Finally trade from land was available again, The land-bridge has been broken. Time of Rebuilding has begun...