• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I expect so. Japanese experience with the B-20s ought to give Boeing designers a good deal of feedback in designing the Superfortress. Also, that certain city would be a most logical home base indeed.

Have the 509th Composite Group be stationed there as well.

I have to know, what was the actual reasoning behind swapping the engines? As far as I can tell the Wasp Junior SC-G is broadly similar to the Aquila and neither of them got developed any further so it can't be 'concerns about lack of development'. Given the improvement managed with the Aquila's sister engine (the Perseus) Bristol clearly could have made it better over the years, but as no-one wanted it there was no reason. Doubtless P&W could have made the Wasp Junior even better, but no-one wanted a high power version they just wanted lots of cheap and cheerful engines for trainers and transports.

The only real difference I can see is that the Bristol engine has sleeve valves, which mean it's lighter but more complex for maintenance, and there's also more potential for improvement crossing over from the other Bristol sleeve valve engines. And of course the big difference; as the Venom was designed for the Aquila swapping engines will take time and money re-designing the aircraft (the SG-C is a similar size but is heavier so will need stronger mounts). If your being overly detailed there may even be slightly worse performance, though I'm not sure the extra 100lb or so of the P&W engine would be that significant in a 4000lb odd aircraft.

In summary; why?

That aside an interesting selection of aircraft the Japanese have, though I do wonder if they might have trouble supporting their odd-ball fleet in the future. I'm not sure how possible it was to 'localise' an aircraft at the time, but it's something I'd be seriously looking at if I was Japan, you don't want to be dependant on a spare parts factory on a different continent when war starts. As some of those aircraft have some clever components (the sodium cooled exhausts on the B-20s engines for instance) this may require some quite serious local investment.

If you're still looking for a good dive bomber you should take a look at the Arado Ar 81, that it should be available by early 1935, IIRC. Or the Heinkel He 118, which was actually tested by IJN -I don't like that bird, BTW.

I have to know, what was the actual reasoning behind swapping the engines? As far as I can tell the Wasp Junior SC-G is broadly similar to the Aquila and neither of them got developed any further so it can't be 'concerns about lack of development'. Given the improvement managed with the Aquila's sister engine (the Perseus) Bristol clearly could have made it better over the years, but as no-one wanted it there was no reason. Doubtless P&W could have made the Wasp Junior even better, but no-one wanted a high power version they just wanted lots of cheap and cheerful engines for trainers and transports.

The only real difference I can see is that the Bristol engine has sleeve valves, which mean it's lighter but more complex for maintenance, and there's also more potential for improvement crossing over from the other Bristol sleeve valve engines. And of course the big difference; as the Venom was designed for the Aquila swapping engines will take time and money re-designing the aircraft (the SG-C is a similar size but is heavier so will need stronger mounts). If your being overly detailed there may even be slightly worse performance, though I'm not sure the extra 100lb or so of the P&W engine would be that significant in a 4000lb odd aircraft.

In summary; why?

That aside an interesting selection of aircraft the Japanese have, though I do wonder if they might have trouble supporting their odd-ball fleet in the future. I'm not sure how possible it was to 'localise' an aircraft at the time, but it's something I'd be seriously looking at if I was Japan, you don't want to be dependant on a spare parts factory on a different continent when war starts. As some of those aircraft have some clever components (the sodium cooled exhausts on the B-20s engines for instance) this may require some quite serious local investment.

Your detailed study on this subject rises once more. In regards to the Aquila, I'd say that Japan FAVORS further production and refinement of the Aquila. The main problem the Japanese see with the Aquila: Availability. Frankly, Japan sees British need for the Aquila as rather low compared to other engine types and fear that with the increase in Britain's OWN defense needs, the Aquila would be a logical sacrifice to be cut out to concentrate on other engine types. If this were not a concern OR if they could get a third party (IE American) firm to build the Aquila, then of course the Twin Wasp would be completely unnecessary, but failing such guarantees another engine will be required. Hence the modified Twin Wasp. Very little chance the basic Twin Wasp will disappear. Of course if the basic Venom proves as promising as it seems, investment in local production would not be amiss. And I admit that since Kawasaki will NOT be making DB-601 copies, then investment in the Aquila is logical. Have edited same.

It's really embarrassing to find the answer staring you right in the face after missing it the first time. :eek:o

Last edited:
The loss of ANOTHER computer. (Grrr...) brought me pretty low on this. Frankly I was not sure I would ever return to this. But I love this game. And so the rebuilding has begun! When it returns it will have some major changes. The old game had the Pacific turned into an Allied pond. This will change. Stay tuned.