• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 7 - Waiting for Information
In the meantime, he had work to do. He was pretty sure that he had Georgios’s allegiance, but there were other influential men in the Legio I Thrakia, and he needed to be sure of their allegiance, or, at least, of their current allegiance - if they weren’t loyal to him at all, then he would need to keep an eye on them somehow.

Georgios might have omitted some details from his tale, but he was loyal. He had a explicitly stated reason for that loyalty, but the Emperor wasn’t stupid. He had caught the subtext of the other - perhaps more important - reason for his loyalty. His family had ruled over at least a portion of Cyprus, and they believed that the Julio-Argeads were their best bet for reclaiming their ancestral lands. Whether or not that was true was ultimately irrelevant. It could be used to his advantage if it seemed like Georgios’s loyalty was faltering.

But Georgios wasn’t the only person that Emperor Cassander needed to worry about. There were two other men who were influential in the new legion, and he needed to know what they were like. He knew what their names were, of course, but that was far from enough.

In addition to that, spies could be in places other than the army. They could be in the capital. For that matter, they could be in the Senate. Even if the Senators were loyal to him right now, they might not be later. He needed to keep an eye on his capital.

But how could he keep an eye on Thessalonica? At the moment, he was outside Thessalonica’s walls, so nobody would dare act against him. When he was on campaign, however… that was another matter entirely. Who could he trust with such a job?

Then, the answer came to him. Alexios and Leonidas had been his father’s advisors. Alexios handled military matters and had already given him advice - Emperor Cassander figured that he would want something in repayment for his service. Leonidas, however, had allegedly been the more political advisor. The Emperor would need to ensure his loyalty, but he could keep an eye on Thessalonica if he proved trustworthy. Of course, that wouldn’t necessarily be permanent - he still needed a way to discredit democracy.

The Emperor smiled. That was a good plan, but he’d held off on interrogating the other two important men in the Legio I Thrakia. Their names were Alexandros and Constantine, but that - and the fact that they were leaders in the Legio I Thrakia - was pretty much all that he knew of them. He would need to ensure their loyalties.

First, however, he needed to get background on the two men. His father had told him about Georgios, but he didn’t know these two men. Cassander couldn’t afford that degree of ignorance himself. His father’s fate had taught him that much.

Oh, his father hadn’t trusted many people, but he had trusted. Sometimes, that had been blind trust. Cassander knew that trust had to be earned, and he would make others earn it. If they did not, then they were foolish. And just because a person had his trust once didn’t mean that they would keep it. Blind trust and ignorance had gotten his father killed. He couldn’t afford to make the same mistake.

He needed to get information on the other two important men in the Legio I Thrakia before he subtly interrogated them. They couldn’t know that he wanted to know their loyalty, or they would answer what he thought that he wanted to hear - and not the truth. He needed the truth from them, for he wouldn’t entrust command of his men to people he didn’t trust. That would be utter folly.

He sighed. He couldn’t send Leonidas,as he would be busy enough with dealing with the schemes that were undoubtedly cropping up in Thessalonica already. The center of power was always the most attractive prize. But he still needed someone to gather information for him.

The answer hit him like a bolt of lightning. Of course. He was already almost certain of the loyalty of one man in the Legio I Thrakia, so why couldn’t he use that? He resolved to ask Georgios about both Alexandros and Constantine. He was a member of the Legio I Thrakia, so the information shouldn’t be that hard to get. Furthermore, this would reassure the Emperor of Georgios’s loyalty. Words meant nothing.

He decided to ask Georgios this in person. He did know where Georgios’s tent was - it never hurt to be prepared - so he could simply walk there.

He decided to be polite and knock on Georgios’s tent door. From there, he would give Georgios his assignment, and they would begin to march towards Athens itself.

Georgios quickly answered the door, and the Emperor told him of what he needed to do. However, it seemed as if Emperor Cassander was lucky. Georgios already had the information that he wanted. Furthermore, he was willing to share it.

Emperor Cassander entered the tent of his father’s second-in-command. He didn’t look at the tent at all, though, he simply sat down. This information would prove very useful.

As the Emperor waited for the answers he wanted, he mulled over his other plans. He would ensure that the men who led the Legio I Thrakia were loyal to him, and he would attack Athens. Well, he wouldn’t attack the city of Athens itself - he would attack wherever the Athenian army happened to be. He would leave the Prince of Attica alone, as long as he didn’t aid Athens. The Emperor figured that both Attica and Athens would soon be forced to surrender.

That was assuming that the Prince of Athens aided his nominal vassal, but Emperor Cassander figured that he would. If he didn’t, then that would be even better, as that would make this war far easier. However, the Emperor figured that Attica would feel threatened by his new expansionist policies. He’d be right to be worried about that, at least - Attica would either fall with Athens or alone, but it would fall.

As he mulled over all of this, Georgios was silent. Finally, he spoke. “I have the information that you seek,” he said.

Chapter 7 - Georgios's Information
“Tell me, then,” the Emperor said. “What are Alexandros and Constantine like, in your experience?”

“Well,” Georgios began. “I haven’t spoken with them that much, but I do know why they joined this legion. How hopeful that will be for your interrogation, well, that I don’t know. Unfortunately, that is all that I know. We were never close.”

“Go on,” the Emperor said.

“Alexandros says he joined because he was personally loyal to your dynasty, but I don’t actually believe him on that. He is very passionate about his hatred for the current government of Athens. As such, I believe that he will remain loyal to you…”

“There’s a catch there,” Emperor Cassander said. “What’s the catch?”

“The catch is that, ultimately, he serves himself above all else,” Georgios explained. “He hates Athens, yes, so he won’t betray you in this war. However, you shouldn’t count on his loyalty to you for any wars after this one.”

“Why not?” the Emperor asked. “Or, more accurately, why can I count on his loyalty to me for this war? Why does he hate Athens?”

“Near as I can figure, he dislikes the idea of democracy,” Georgios replied. “Also, the government of Athens apparently officially exiled him, although whether or not that’s connected to his dislike for democracy is unclear.”

“I see,” Emperor Cassander said. “And Constantine?”

“Constantine was once a mercenary,” Georgios murmured. “He seems to be interested in personal glory above all. Of course, as a former mercenary, he would be loyal to money.”

“That’s both worrying and reassuring,” Emperor Cassander admitted. “On the one hand, we can be sure that his chances of defection are low. On the other hand, if someone else offers him more money than we do…”. He didn’t need to finish that thought. Mercenaries were wild cards - pieces that either side could use.

“Thank you for this information,” the Emperor said. Then, he left. He had a lot to think about now. He needed ways to ensure the loyalty of the Legio I Thrakia, and that wasn’t his only worry.

No, there were many other problems facing the true and rightful Emperor of Rome. He needed to ensure that the Legio I Thrakia - his legion and his army - would serve him and him alone, of course. In addition to that, he needed to ensure that he kept control of his capital and the lands that he already ruled. If he lost control of Thessalonica and Thessaly, a successful conquest of Athens and Attica would mean nothing.

To do that, he needed spies in Thessalonica. For all intents and purposes, whoever held the capital held the realm. Thessalonica would become a cesspit of lies and schemes soon enough. He would need to ensure that he kept power there.

Thankfully, he already had a plan for that. He would send Leonidas - who was very familiar with politics - to Thessalonica. Leonidas would keep informed of developments in Thessalonica - for now. He would be needed in Athens soon enough. That meant that he would need someone to keep an eye on Thessalonica while Leonidas was in Athens… but that could wait. He needed to focus on the campaign against Athens for now.

He will need to defeat the Athenian forces militarily, but merely doing that will do nothing to solve the problem - democracy. He had already decided to send Leonidas to prove that democracy was a terrible government system. It was about time that he did those interviews, though. He needed to be absolutely sure of the Legio I Thrakia’s loyalty. History was full of lessons where disloyal legions lost wars.

He couldn’t allow that to happen. The Legio I Thrakia would be loyal to him, and him alone. Disloyalty would be met with death… or worse. Emperor Cassander wouldn’t allow traitors to live. Doing that was a recipe for disaster.

Sorry to everybody who was a fan of this, but I'm cancelling it. I just don't feel the drive to write it anymore, and I would prefer to focus on my other AARs...

Also, I felt as if this AAR was getting too similar to A Narrative History of Byzantium.

However, to make up for this, here's a brief outline of the rest of this plot.
  • His (Cassander's) interrogations are somewhat successful, and Emperor Cassander begins his campaign against Athens. The Thrakia marches south, hoping to catch Athens unaware. The Prince of Attica decides to defend his technical vassals. Meanwhile, Leonidas, already experienced in political matters, remains in Thessalonica, while he plays a harsh game of politics. Leonidas discovers lingering tension between certain factions, and he writes of this to the Emperor. The Emperor authorizes him to figure out a way to resolve the conflict, and he does so.
  • An Athenian army is encountered at Thebes, and the Eastern Romans defeat them. However, many escape, so the war is far from over.
  • Leonidas, having succeeded in preventing Thessalonica from erupting into factional warfare, is sent to Athens proper by Cassander. He manages to trick numerous politicians, which leads to Athens being weakened from within. As he does so, Emperor Cassander manages to get Alexios to raise a new army to aid in the war against Athens and grants him command of this army. This is the creation of the Legio II Thessalia.
  • The Athenian-Attican alliance attempts to attack Thessalonica. The Legio II Thessalia defeats them there, and the joint army is utterly destroyed.
  • The Legio I Thrakia defeats an Athenian army outside of Athens proper, and Athens is forced to surrender.
  • Cassander executes the Prince of Attica and annexes both Attica and Athens.
  • Cassander negotiates with the rulers of Epirus and Tylis, and they agree to swear fealty to him. Seeing this, the Emperor in Constantinople forms an alliance with numerous other states. They preemptively attack Thessalonica.
  • However, both of the newly created legions are present there, and the surprise attack is defeated.
  • Emperor Cassander manages to negotiate the allegiance of the Lord of Nikaea and, by extent, his aid in the war.
  • Many inconsequential skirmishes occur but no decisive engagements. Emperor Cassander begins to get impatient.
  • Cassander decides that the war should end with a large battle. He moves to unite the Legio I Thrakia with the Legio II Thessalia and force a confrontation.
  • The two legions unite at Adrianople and move to attack Constantinople. The two armies meet there, and a fierce battle occurs.
  • The allies of both sides move towards Constantinople.
  • They arrive, but, despite that, the battle outside of the Theodosian Walls ends in stalemate.
  • Both sides decide to attempt negotiations with other states in Anatolia. They both find allies, and Cassander decides to allow the Anatolians to fight amongst themselves.
  • He marches to Adrianople, which he besieges. He ultimately manages to take it by treachery.
  • The Eastern Roman Emperor attacks Adrianople, and a large battle occurs there. Ultimately, Cassander wins the battle, and he begins to make peace overtures. He hopes to divide the alliance.
  • The Anatolian states agree to a pact of non-aggression.
  • Cassander begins efforts to diplomatically isolate the ERE. Achaea is defeated militarily, and the other Greek states surrender conditionally.
  • Cassander moves to Constantinople with the Legio I Thrakia and the Legio II Thessalia, while the Lord of Nikaea’s army, the Legio III Nikaea, moves to attack it from the east.
  • The Eastern Roman Emperor sends out diplomats to negotiate a peace.
  • After much negotiation, it is agreed that a small portion of Thrace shall be ceded to Cassander directly. In addition, Cassander shall be crowned as Eastern Roman Emperor, but the former Emperor shall keep his lands - and his vassal - as Despot of Constantinople.
  • Cassander dies. He has made preparations for the succession, but these are all for naught.
  • Nikaea, Achaea, Thessalonica, Epirus, Tylis, and Constantinople all secede. The new emperor is annoyed at this, but can do nothing. He decides to attack Constantinople - and humble the pretenders once and for all

Again, I'm really sorry about this!