• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Bolingbroke said:
I have an idea re: Humanist Tolerance - just make it so that cultural conversion happens *far* more often to someone with HT.
Possible to do, but not in the spirit of the Resettlement event; you'd need a new event instead.

Better yet, make it so you can gain an accepted culture if you have HT. That would make the idea very attractive to say the OE. Or a Russia who wants to accept more than just Russian with Tartar Sauce on the side.
No can do - the only way we can affect accepted cultures is to change the defines for every country. There may well be a command to add an accepted culture - I forget - but it would result in random and pointless events, as you would gain the accepted culture, then lose it immediately at the end of the month as the game calculated that you didn't quite meet the threshold.

I had no idea about Tax Assessors. I assumed it was a straight bonus because that's how the building description worked and how each TA reduced inflation by the same amount for me. Also the small trading AI nations tend to have very high inflation in my games. I think Modena had something like 25%. The Imperial Cities were similar.
That is high - this was in 2.1? In 2.0 the AI had very high inflation, but that's because of the way it spends money...i.e. it spends it all ASAP and then has to mint for the rest of the year to pay for its massive armies. In 2.1 it does the same thing, but now when it runs out of money it only mints a little - the rest is free.

In any event, the way tax assessors are supposed to work is that the game gives you a 0.5% inflation reduction each year if 100% of your provinces have a tax assessor - so if your total number of provinces stays the same, each TA you build is worth exactly the same. If you're expanding, each tax assessor you build is worth less than the last, and if you're losing provinces, each is worth more...

If Paradox doesn't come up with a solution, I advocate at least reducing the force limits for naval for the AI. They build insane navies which dwarf a player's ability to compete because unlike them we have to pay for all our pretty ships.
I'm thinking that a solution could be to lower the tax income of the AI. Right now it's building massive armies and navies because it has the cash - and then gets more "cash" because when it spends it all, it gets free maintenance. If we take away a third to a half of its tax income it ought to stop building massive fleets so much. In theory. Anyone want to test this?

dharper said:
I'm thinking that a solution could be to lower the tax income of the AI. Right now it's building massive armies and navies because it has the cash - and then gets more "cash" because when it spends it all, it gets free maintenance. If we take away a third to a half of its tax income it ought to stop building massive fleets so much. In theory.
I think the best solution would be to make ships and regiments cost more to build, if thats possible. AI armies and navies might still reach the same size though, but it could be slowed a lot depending on how much the recruitment cost is increased.

I wish we could just make the AI SMART. :rolleyes:

dharper said:
Possible to do, but not in the spirit of the Resettlement event; you'd need a new event instead.

I'm pretty sure there is an event with a MTtH of something on the order of 400 yrs which switches a province you own's culture to your primary. I forget which event # it is though. You probably don't know about it because it never happens. It isn't Resettlement.

That is high - this was in 2.1? In 2.0 the AI had very high inflation, but that's because of the way it spends money...i.e. it spends it all ASAP and then has to mint for the rest of the year to pay for its massive armies. In 2.1 it does the same thing, but now when it runs out of money it only mints a little - the rest is free.

In any event, the way tax assessors are supposed to work is that the game gives you a 0.5% inflation reduction each year if 100% of your provinces have a tax assessor - so if your total number of provinces stays the same, each TA you build is worth exactly the same. If you're expanding, each tax assessor you build is worth less than the last, and if you're losing provinces, each is worth more...

Yes, it was in 2.1. IT was only a handful of nations and mostly trading ones. No heavies like France or Ming.

I wish there was some FAQ on inflation and how the heck the modifiers work to reduce it. Thanks a bunch for enlightening me!

I'm thinking that a solution could be to lower the tax income of the AI. Right now it's building massive armies and navies because it has the cash - and then gets more "cash" because when it spends it all, it gets free maintenance. If we take away a third to a half of its tax income it ought to stop building massive fleets so much. In theory. Anyone want to test this?

I'm all for it. I'm also against the idea of raising costs. Armies and navies already cost too much for the player compared with the AI. Sorry, germanpeon. I think Darken also addressed this but his method is lower force limits. This might work, but it would be tricky. I'd definitely lower the naval limit across the board though. Those can't be attritted away like armies can by a crafty player.

germanpeon said:
I think the best solution would be to make ships and regiments cost more to build, if thats possible. AI armies and navies might still reach the same size though, but it could be slowed a lot depending on how much the recruitment cost is increased.
We can make them cost more to build, but the same modifier will also increase maintenance costs, which will end up hurting the player more than the AI, because we actually pay it. ;)

dharper said:
We can make them cost more to build, but the same modifier will also increase maintenance costs, which will end up hurting the player more than the AI, because we actually pay it. ;)
I failed to specify this, but I meant that it should cost the AI countries more, not the player. My bad. :eek:o

Very good aar :cool:

I've been following this from the shadows for many moons now (yes I meassure time spans in moons). It was a pleasure to read!

too bad about the save files.

but overall a very entertaining AAR!

one can only imagine what life would be like if Tsarist Russia replaced Britian as the colonial power in the 1700s and 1800s

Would there still be Communism? Nyet likely

Good job, and don't worry the save game thing happens to me all the time, but I usually get really mad and swear like a ol' Swedish Sailer and punch my desk....

Anyway, I liked it, and we should add the "Most updated AAR" in the 2008 voting.

Fijj said:
Good job, and don't worry the save game thing happens to me all the time, but I usually get really mad and swear like a ol' Swedish Sailer and punch my desk....

:rofl: :rofl: