• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very entertaining AAR, and I think i'll get even more as war with Novgorod is approaching

Novgorod's Turn

updates.jpg

Some random updates and a very nice border dispute event.

After waiting what seemed like generations, the great war to unite all the Russias under one banner began in 1492. It lasted less than a year.

dow-nov2.jpg

Nov_in_Finland.jpg

It helped that Novgorod was at war with Sweden, who was at war with Kalmar Union and Norway. Novgorod was doing well, also. Let’s hope they can keep some of their gains so that we get them in the eventual annexation.

They made a white peace. Novgorod has not gained a single territory in this game.

peace-pskov.jpg

Pskov fell in a month. No joke. Their 50 ducats will be well-spent in paying off some of our loans.

nov-peace.jpg

Novgorod made peace on terms which were favourable to us. In fact, we might as well ally them and head into Lithuania to grab a few choice morsels together. Novgorod will be moral support or something, as their battlefield prowess leaves something to be desired.

Chicken_Baby_Large.jpg

BB is a manageable 9.33/28.

Excellent, 10 years and counting to the unification?

dow-lith.jpg

Riding the wave of euphoria brought on by the rapid defeat of Novgorod, Grand Duke Vasiliy II decided to slap around Lithuania a bit. Though his soldiers had experienced only a year of respite since the end of the War of Novgorodian Smack-down, they were eager to face a foe worthy of their skill.

lith-peace.jpg

Lithuania wasn’t it.

Sadly, the old Duke Vasiliy II died from the joy of hearing Kiev was restored to Orthodox rule. His son, Vasily III, is not much to look at. Some say he was hit on the head as a boy. It is a good thing for him and for Muscowy that his illustrious forbearers won him a vast kingdom with no enemies strong enough to challenge it. Hopefully his reign will be peaceful.

metro-peace.jpg

The Metropolitan of Moskva must be our homeboy, because he always knows when to stick up for us. This time, he sends forth an edict calling for priests to preach peace throughout the land. This should help us recover the previous level of supreme tranquility we lost as a result of our people not wanting to beat on poor defenseless Novgorod.

BB is 10.82/26.00. No more evil things for a good while.

Now you've taken down Lithuania and Novgorod what's next? Poland? The Norse countries?

Situation 1500

situation1500.jpg

You can see here how the peace-loving people of Muscowy invite in their brethren of Mogilov. You can also see how their lot is improved by being under our care.
OE_1500.jpg
My main rival in the East is the Ottoman Empire. Here you can see how they increased their holdings at the expense of the once-proud and mighty Mamluks. They bear watching. The rest of the world is essentially the same as 1453, with only minor changes.

kiev_revolt.jpg

Check out the size of that revolt! It’s because Kiev has

a. large population
b. large manpower
c. high tax base

This shows how serious revolts can be in the latest version of the game + MM.

Last edited:
smuggle.jpg

Here you can see a feature of MM which gives access to a new espionage mission, “Smuggling Operation.” The mission is pretty cheap and has a small effect on a target nation’s trade economy and a small increase to revolt risk. It’s cute, but I think it needs to be fleshed out some more. The triggered modifier is nicer than the mission.

border_patrol-1.jpg

Muscowy is finally wealthy enough to afford a Border Patrol. This is a 0/0/0 conquistador which costs a fortune but doesn’t require QFTNW. We are now exploring the vast open spaces to the East. Colonization is starting in the icy North as well.

good_men.jpg

Oh, where have all the good men gone? These are just mediocre.

annex_nov.jpg

Check out the income from Novgorod! That’s *before* I took over, btw. I won’t share the revised income, preferring to make believe it stayed the same.

A matter for discussion:

Should I have created a COT in Muscovy before annexing Novgorod and gaining theirs? I am beginning to this “yes” if for nothing else than the massive tax boost and the population growth bonus.

Very well done, now you've annexed Novgorod it's just matter of time before you become Russia and bring your power to the entire world.

Good job! The imbalanced tech stuff is indeed frustrating. Not sure "cheating" would really be cheating in this case, as it's caused by a design flaw.

How do you cheat to get better tech, by the way?

clblabin said:
Good job! The imbalanced tech stuff is indeed frustrating. Not sure "cheating" would really be cheating in this case, as it's caused by a design flaw.

How do you cheat to get better tech, by the way?

Well, I *could* go into the save game and edit my tech higher. I can also use the console. But I'm going to play it straight for now. As long as I don't get into any European wars with majors I'll be fine. I hope.

The really frustrating thing is that Tartar isn't an accepted culture yet. Hopefully it will happen once I convert Kazan over to Orthodoxy. If not, well I might cheat on that. It makes no sense that they wouldn't be accepted by now. Maybe as most Tartar provinces are cores now they will become accepted.

I can't recall how MM affects the gaining of acceptable cultures. I know it makes things harder, but I don't remember specifics. The lack of accepting the Tartar sauce is holding me back. It is ~40 ducats yearly I'm losing in tax revenue alone due to 40% culture penalty.

framed-investigation-succes.jpg

See? I'm not some villain. I'm just misunderstood.

patriarch_visit.jpg

The Patriarch of Constantinople thinks I'm OK.

byzantine_princess.jpg

We even have foreign hotties throwing themselves at us. This was before the Regency. Though I wish it was during the Regency. Some funny event text that would have been!

land5.jpg

This is great news! Early on, the Eastern tech group gets huge upgrades to their land forces for relatively few tech levels. Now begins a long dry spell.

regency_advisors.jpg

Maybe these excellent military minds will help make the drought a short one? You can also see our Regency Council likes to make with the fighting and the killing. Not so much with the actual running of the country.

bureaucracy.jpg

Nothing says "Russian Nation" like a good Bureaucracy. Since ~65% of my income is taxation, this makes a lot of sense. Now, the problem is that by going with Divine Supremacy and then Bureaucracy instead of military NIs, I'm a bit weak in that area. But I think the Army is good enough as it is. Huge numbers of cheap soldiers. What more could you want? It's not like I'm next to France or anything. Sweden and Poland are my only serious competition. And they don't have the vastness of Mother Russia to suck in and bleed dry any invasion.

The other contender for NI was Guild Priviledges. This would have given me a 15% boost to production efficiency. Not bad, and it helps with colonization. I think it's better suited to New World colonization though as their resources are worth more than my most common semi-valuable one: furs.

So it's back to the waiting game. It might take 50 years to live down my current BB without any help. I might be forced to take some more land from Lithuania out of boredom.​

If you still have some conquistadores left, you should start colonizing east, while you get BB down