For the love of God and Satan and Cthulhu please stop this abhorrent Ace message spam

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Morbus Bubbonicus

Banned
1 Badges
Jun 10, 2020
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
Ace Pilot Promoted Who dares Wins Ace pilot shot another Ace pilot Ace pilot shot down Ace Pilot Promoted Who dares Wins Ace pilot shot another Ace pilot Ace pilot shot downAce Pilot Promoted Who dares Wins Ace pilot shot another Ace pilot Ace pilot shot downAce Pilot Promoted Who dares Wins Ace pilot shot another Ace pilot Ace pilot shot downAce Pilot Promoted Who dares Wins Ace pilot shot another Ace pilot Ace pilot shot downAce Pilot Promoted Who dares Wins Ace pilot shot another Ace pilot Ace pilot shot downAce Pilot Promoted Who dares Wins Ace pilot shot another Ace pilot Ace pilot shot downAce Pilot Promoted Who dares Wins Ace pilot shot another Ace pilot Ace pilot shot downAce Pilot Promoted Who dares Wins Ace pilot shot another Ace pilot Ace pilot shot downAce Pilot Promoted Who dares Wins Ace pilot shot another Ace pilot Ace pilot shot downAce Pilot Promoted Who dares Wins Ace pilot shot another Ace pilot Ace pilot shot down

It is okay once in a while but when there are thousands of thousands of planes and dozens of wings fighting this spam is unbearable
At this point you already stopped caring about your wing losing +10% to agility modifier or other ace bonuses. And in MP it is a neverending distraction, in SP - constant annoyance, most players do not care if one of their wings get negligable bonus when you have tens of thousands of planes in the air. With frontlines becoming bigger and bigger and need toconstantly monitor naval landings due to AI's inability to handle invasions this neverending flow of popups distracts you even more.

This thigs should've been patched YEARS ago in QA fixed but it is still here.

• 32Like
  • 5Haha
Reactions:
Can always mod it out. There was a thread not even a week ago:

I agree, though: intrusive popups is the worst kind of UI element one can come up with.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Yeah late in achievement runs it's not uncommon to see 3-5 instances of the message simultaneously. It's not exaggerating to say I've clicked the message away hundreds of times in one run.

Game could really use a toggle for which events give pop-up, like EU 4 has. Though even outright removing this particular pop-up would be a massive improvement.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I generally prefer popups to be limited to things that are going to change the course of the game in a major way, a smattering of flavor events, and situations where you have a choice to make.

You can assign your aces to all the air wings in a particular area to get a boost...but how often are people doing that? I usually only have time/interest to do it in the build up to a major campaign when no other busy fronts are distracting me. So to me aces are less significant than "general earned a new trait", for example.

Maybe the ace generation/deaths could be a little clickable bubble like sea battles? You could click on the various ones to see what is up if you care, or right click in the top bar to dismiss all of them.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I was about to make this very thread, and post a screenshot of literally more than a dozen ace popups in a list that you get when you turn off event popups. The problem with the solution of turning off the event popups is that other events can be defaulted if you miss them, such as puppets asking to be released. This is definitely one of those too many "just how can this stuff not be addressed in so many years" items.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Disagree. Just imagine, i.e Stalingrad I think Paulus was way more interested in the courier running in saying "Mein General this can't wait! A pilot have now become Max "Teufel" Egelbert".

I am sure Paulus and the Germans were much more interested in Aces than Zhukov going full on Uranus

• 9Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Disagree. Just imagine, i.e Stalingrad I think Paulus was way more interested in the courier running in saying "Mein General this can't wait! A pilot have now become Max "Teufel" Egelbert".

I am sure Paulus and the Germans were much more interested in Aces than Zhukov going full on Uranus
Good one!

But that made me think that IRL they for sure would have noticed things like this though some army news magazine or whatsover, just as a side not, but if not too busy at a certain moment a nice good night lecture...

So idea that came up to me is, instead of pop-ups per each event, a weekly or monthly newspaper appears that sums up all of those events. I mean these events that do not require immediate action like diplomatic stuff, major battle events, government changes and of course also aces.
Imo this would add flavor if well styled and reduce spam.

Some other events (Spies captured, cough...) just need a reduction of occurrence...

• 5Like
Reactions:
Good one!

But that made me think that IRL they for sure would have noticed things like this though some army news magazine or whatsover, just as a side not, but if not too busy at a certain moment a nice good night lecture...

So idea that came up to me is, instead of pop-ups per each event, a weekly or monthly newspaper appears that sums up all of those events. I mean these events that do not require immediate action like diplomatic stuff, major battle events, government changes and of course also aces.

Some other events (Spies captured, cough...) just need a reduction of occurrence...
Great idea!

Good one!

Jokes aside. Agreed

Good one!

Indeed. Have it highlight things that are easily missed. Germany commissions new battlecruiser, Japan starts justifying an invasion of the USSR, Italy makes significant gains in North Africa, random dude appointed this or that minister of the United States, large American army lands in occupied Phillipines. Have it be a report you can open whenever you want, or a weekly/monthly summary.

I've toyed with the idea of a marquee, too. As in, just text scrolling along the top of the screen, with you deciding what messages to feature. Something like this:
Marquee.png

There are many possible ways to implement this, of course. An alert icon you can click to see a report like you suggest, a marquee you can toggle on and off, the ability to choose which countries to ignore and which to focus on, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Agree.
Regarding assigning aces: couldn't a button be added to the air-mapmode next to the 'more ground crews' one -- like 'prioritize ace assignments', which would assign aces from air wings not active in that region, to that region. If several were enabled, then the aces would be divided evenly between chosen regions. Not sure if it's possible to implement, but would be nice I think.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I know that we already have an agreement on the issue, but just to put a number on the silliness, here is a screenshot from my game last night. I had 18 events in the space of 14 days relating to aces. That translates to clicking away the ace screen 400-500 times per game year.

This silly issue makes me think of a more general issue with air war in this game: I think it's too micro-intensive. Creating air wings manually by selecting up to individual planes is a design decision back from EU2 days. I can see why for navies a single ship is a logical unit to work with (though I wish things were a little nicer there as well), but the air part of the game really cries out for its version of division designer, and its own version of battle planner.

The design really doesn't scale with game time. I want to have an ability to create "garrison orders" for air spaces I want to protect from nukes with interceptors, without having play whack a mole and keep track of 50-100 wings I have going late in the game. I'm sure the air version of battle planner won't do as good of a job, but I don't care, I'm just one person managing everything happening with the country at war, I need some help with delegating responsibilities.

Attachments

• 20220424044544_1.jpg
    20220424044544_1.jpg
    581 KB · Views: 0