• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
:confused: I would bet on a list of fictional monarchs for the lacking monarchs rather than random ones. In EU3 it was brand new code, I think, so unless they manage to write their own code for this, there would be nothing in the "old" EU2 code to make this possible.

In this case I do hope that the AI is coded to use the foreknowlege about monarchs and events as the human player can. Nothing like waiting a month or two to build a factory because the upcoming monarch has better stats.

In this case I do hope that the AI is coded to use the foreknowlege about monarchs and events as the human player can. Nothing like waiting a month or two to build a factory because the upcoming monarch has better stats.

That would kind of break the point of playing a historical game, though.

About this supposed EU2 predictability... how many people here actually know all the monarchs by heart? I mean, if you play the grand campaign, any realm you choose will have a hell of a lot of monarchs. So unless you play sweden all the time, I doubt you can remember the exact date when all but one or two of the more well known monarchs will pop up. Unless you check the game files, which is lunacy in itself anyway.

I've played Austria more than anything else in EU2 and out of the dozens of monarchs and hundreds of events, I'd be hard pressed to anticipate more than a handful of either. The whole "what's the point of playing if you know what'll happen!!!1111one" argument is a bit stale IMHO. More often than not, you won't know what's coming, and when it happens, you have the pleasure of knowing that the very same problem facing you now faced an actual leader hundreds of years ago. And you just can't beat that in my book. :)

there is no predictability in EU2 , there are only trends.

all games, have different alliance partners be it extra or less states together, random events also changes the flow of the game .

the only time it is predictable is on the 1st january 1419.

there is no predictability in EU2 , there are only trends.

all games, have different alliance partners be it extra or less states together, random events also changes the flow of the game .

the only time it is predictable is on the 1st january 1419.

The predictability can last a bit longer, thanks to the RNG. I can often tell what my first random event will be based on colony or merchant placement success (example: Russia 1617 - if my third merchant to Astrakhan fails I will always get a political crisis on November 27, if the natives in Irgiz do not attack the occupation force that I move there I will get a deflation event later in 1620).

Will there be any new scenarios?

That will depend on if people choose to make any. It probably won't come with any and will be up to the community to make new scenarios or adapt existing EU2 scenarios.

That will depend on if people choose to make any. It probably won't come with any and will be up to the community to make new scenarios or adapt existing EU2 scenarios.

I can't imagine the game for 20EUR will come without scenarios... :eek:
It will not be a game in that case, but rather a modder's tool-set.

Dev diary is badly needed to dissipate all various speculations :)

About this supposed EU2 predictability... how many people here actually know all the monarchs by heart? I mean, if you play the grand campaign, any realm you choose will have a hell of a lot of monarchs. So unless you play sweden all the time, I doubt you can remember the exact date when all but one or two of the more well known monarchs will pop up. Unless you check the game files, which is lunacy in itself anyway.

I've played Austria more than anything else in EU2 and out of the dozens of monarchs and hundreds of events, I'd be hard pressed to anticipate more than a handful of either. The whole "what's the point of playing if you know what'll happen!!!1111one" argument is a bit stale IMHO. More often than not, you won't know what's coming, and when it happens, you have the pleasure of knowing that the very same problem facing you now faced an actual leader hundreds of years ago. And you just can't beat that in my book. :)

How misguided I have been! - reading game files before playing...reading recipes before baking...reading music before performing in public (OK sometimes I do sightread the hymnal, or at least did before I found out that I was being broadcast on local access cable);)

The anticipation argument is a little more refined, at least the way I make it. My issue is that the player can know what is ahead, but the AI is as of yet not scripted to use that same foreknowledge. I get frustrated by seeing the AI send missionaries to provinces that will be converted by event in a few years. This could be solved with either a wholesale upgrade of the AI to play as competively as possible using every player trick that can be coded, or to reduce the amount of information available to the player relative to the AI.

Besides - monarch generation was one of my favorite aspects of the boardgame!

I thought people play mostly the GC anyway (in various P'dox titles)....

The anticipation argument is a little more refined, at least the way I make it. My issue is that the player can know what is ahead, but the AI is as of yet not scripted to use that same foreknowledge. I get frustrated by seeing the AI send missionaries to provinces that will be converted by event in a few years. This could be solved with either a wholesale upgrade of the AI to play as competively as possible using every player trick that can be coded, or to reduce the amount of information available to the player relative to the AI.

I have never seen this as a problem as I want the AI to act like a monarch would do during the EU2 timeframe, hence not know what will happen in the future. Although I do admit that it is a problem that the AI waste resources and therefore is less able to compete with the player. I would rather see an improved AI and eventually some AI bonuses to keep it competitive. Much like in the Europa Portugalis mod which I highly recommend for anyone that want a challenging EU2 game.

I have never seen this as a problem as I want the AI to act like a monarch would do during the EU2 timeframe, hence not know what will happen in the future. Although I do admit that it is a problem that the AI waste resources and therefore is less able to compete with the player. I would rather see an improved AI and eventually some AI bonuses to keep it competitive. Much like in the Europa Portugalis mod which I highly recommend for anyone that want a challenging EU2 game.

Continuing with the Torqumada example, would it be better to have the event be contingent upon the conversion of the provinces rather than to be the cause of it?

It will not be a game in that case, but rather a modder's tool-set.

Dev diary is badly needed to dissipate all various speculations :)

:wacko: It will come with scenarios, but no 'new' scenarios initially. It is said that AGCEEP will be packaged with it so that means there will be atleast 1419, 1520 and 1648 scenarios.

Deus Vult did not come with any new scenarios. Actually I think that Deus Vult makes a good comparison, many similarities there.

I thought AGCEEP was a mod apart?

I dont know but i do hope there is an option aside so we can play with only the vanilla events, otherwise all the AGCEEP events will deal a deadly blow to the multiplayer community.

You know, you got me scared for a while. Not that i dislike AGCEEP - it gives the player a good experience in single player, but online it causes problems.

Last edited:

actually it was one of the things that irritated many EU3 players : the AI would treat them as if they were playing player vs player and not AI vs player ! :mad: ;)
For me, I'd appreciate that the AI would use all the tricks I could use.