• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Should be able to snag a province or three now :)

Fb-fb:​

Well all know that the Scots are pretty stubborn, you'll succeed, it's just a matter of time (and luck) :p.

That is true, but when it comes to fighting the English we have a dreadful track record...

All downhill since Bannockburn :D

Yeah - anything after 1328 was pretty much a non-event. A few victories here and there usually punctuated by complete calamity. ;)

Yup, but tell me who's the British PM right now?
And who will be the next one?
Complete calamity? maybe not. :rofl:

It shall go differently should I have anything to say about it. And the English can have Brown. ;)

Thats great!:) London is next:D
I hope...but there may be some problems there. More to come.

You seemed to have destroyed most of the english home army. It might be a good idea to cover a lot of provinces to keep them from a raising a new army to stomp you.
I wished I could but I am low on usable troops. I'm recruiting again in Glasgow but I can't split Buchan any more so it's either leave York entirely or sit in the siege. In retrospect, I might have done better to take your advice. But I get ahead of myself...;)

Good work defeating the ebil English! You're only outnumbered on the seas it seems. Now to get a good peace deal...
It may appear that way but the English aren't finished yet. I don't think those boats are loaded, but that can change.

The tide has turned! Now lets hope you can grab Northumberland wich would provide a safe border. :) (or even more if possible and wanted!)

I was reading since the begining but now I subscribe.
I hope so. There was a huge momentum shift, to be sure. At present, I am torn over just taking Northumberland and getting the hell out or pushing for Lancashire as well.

Just make sure to protects the pubs and Tesco in Stirling please. Also if you can afford for Lothian to be plundered once more direct the English to destroy the RBS for me please. :p

Good work against England so far, in your place I'd think about destroying that 2k in Lancashire and/or intercepting the soon to be ready troops of Midlands.
Fear not, I want to make sure and preserve as many pubs as possible. I'm going to need them. ;) That's good advice, if I could have done that and still maintained the siege in York. As it turned out, it came back to bite me. Coming up...

Nice progress here.
The road to London is wide open.
Objects in the mirror may appear closer than they really are. ;)

Looking good. I love the way that Scottish success in the field is looking to be undone by our propensity for stabbing each other in the back behind closed doors :)
Well, what's a medieval world without a little backstabbing and intrigue. I'm curious to see if there is more to that event string.

Should be able to snag a province or three now :)
At least Northumberland. My war score may demand that's all I can get. I have not checked it yet. Even if I am now in an alliance with Burgundy, who is surely the alliance leader, I started my war independently, so hopefully I can dictate my own peace.

More coming up in a little bit and I hope to perhaps get a second update later in the day. I am playing slowly in the game to make sure I don't get too far ahead in the AAR but I am keen to get a little further in the game.

Scotland Forever

When we left off, I had three sieges going and a new found sense of superiority after a string of victories. But as quickly as things turned for the better, they can easily turn once more to the worse. In November of 1420, Northumberland finally falls and before I can consider my options, I see the English have put together another force to challenge me in Yorkshire. Not only that, but one pesky ship from Ulster starts messing with my 5 strong fleet.

Atwaratlandandsea1420.jpg

I watch both battles with interest and see those newly recruited 5,000 cavalry for English easily deal with Buchan.

RetreatfromYork1420.jpg

Let me tell you, it was not a nice Christmas present. I move into the new year of 1421 watching that one Ulster ship continue to give me trouble. But I have a card stuck neatly up my sleeve. For commanding the army pushing back into York is none other than...

MacNeillinvadesYork.jpg

Want to play?

...little Regan McNeil...yes, that's right - The Exorcist has arrived to deal with the English! It proves too much for them and once again Yorkshire is under siege. Let us hope that 1421 sees even better victories such as these. (A little assist from Pazuzu never hurts. ;))

But finally, on January 18th the naval battle is resolved, resulting in...our loss. :eek: What the what?!

NavallosstoUlster.jpg

Son of a...

Irritated, I turn my gaze south noticing that London appears to be under siege.

HYW1421.jpg

Hundred Years War, January 1421

England seems to have solid control of Normandie but I'm not seeing too many English troops anywhere but Zeeland. Hmmm...:confused: I hope they aren't at the beach in Cornwall. It's too cold to swim in January and they may think better of it and suit up again. Those already at it...that same damn cavalry force, still aren't done as they move back into York and challenge once again.

LoseinYorkMarch1421.jpg

Re-learning an important lesson.

It appears cavalry still reigns supreme in the early game as they beat me yet again sending me back into Northumberland. Lothian looks soon to falling back into our hands, however. Still very much touch and go, folks...

Last edited:
So long as no one peaces them it should be possible to wear them down.

Scotland Forever

So with the loss in Yorkshire we regroup once more as only an army can. Haggis is passed around (OK...OK...cheap joke!) and we take a step back and look upon the war. We have had numerical superiority but some trouble on the battle field. I think it is the cav difference. When they have won, they had the edge there. I need a cav force but I cannot really afford it.

FinSummary1421.jpg

But I put my best men (women and children...they are still very much a part of this enterprise) together and send them to face the rump of the English force in Lancashire. It is a prized province as I'd like to be able to take it along with Northumberland in any peace. It has nice vantage points for future conquests (see...I'm getting a bit cocky here.) By June we meet,

June1421.jpg

Within days we receive news that Lothian is back in our hands. No more English in the North. It's all a push down hill from here...we hope. More good news hits on June 22nd - we win in Lancashire. New siege set up. Sweet! :D Events in France, however, are curious...

FranceJune1421.jpg

Hundred Years War, June 1421

But here on the Isle...smooth sailing, it seems...

July1421.jpg

Still, I am not convinced. The English are sneaky capable of much misery should I let up. I raise war taxes again...yes, upping my war exhaustion and inflation. I want more recruits and can afford 2,000 more infantry. The desired cavalry will have to wait until I can afford them.

By October, I move my fleet out again to blockade Yorkshire, McRae having made it down from the north to lay siege...

HalMcRae.jpg

2,091 Hits
1,097 RBI
191 HR
Lifetime batting average of .290

This is the only McRae I know. Not a bad player either between the Reds and the Royals. Lost the batting title to George Brett in '76. According to Wikipedia:

McRae played hard—so hard, in fact, that the rule requiring a runner to slide into second base when breaking up a double play is still referred to as the Hal McRae Rule in honor of the man whose cross-body blocks into second base broke up a lot of double plays and second basemen at the same time.
He's served as a hitting coach (namely of the Reds) and Manager of the Royals and Rays. But I'm getting far afield here...suffice to say, I think he can handle the siege of Yorkshire. Maybe teach a little baseball while he's there. :D

Lancashire is reinforced with new recruits and we move to the end of the year finally finding battle with an English fleet off the coast of Yorkshire.

DecNavBattle1421.jpg

The new year quickly follows and 1422 dawns with an amazing shift in battle. Once I was beating the English at sea and then, suddenly more show up and next thing I know, I'm in retreat. Where is Hal McRae when you need him...or Regan McNeil...Steve McQueen? Enough loss!

While my navy finds some respite at dock, Midland finally falls to us and Buchan moves to Lincoln. As they say in Almost Famous, "It's all happening."

BtoLincoln.jpg

Buchan arrives in April and while it might be nice to sit on our laurels and waste away in Lincoln, London sits open and ripe for the taking. I have to do it. Buchan takes a sharp right and heads south right through to Aldersgate.

MarchonLondan1422.jpg

Pip, pip...cheerio and all that...hello, England! Never Mind the Bollocks, Here Come the Sex Pistols!

pistol-flag.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah! London will soon experience the Scottish fury.

It does rahter seem that the tide has turned. Haggis and High Tea in London before Hogmanay and all of that. :D

Fb-fb:​

I'm sure in the end Regan McNeill will prove too much to handle for the English. :D
She did her job, surely. :D

Yup, but I hope that the Pope won't send them father Merrin...
He didn't send Merrin but you will soon see he's not happy with us. :rolleyes:

So long as no one peaces them it should be possible to wear them down.
Indeed, we're on the end run here. Peace lies just over the hill.

Nice work! It looks like the English AI isn't necessarily good at defending, well...England. I snuck some 20k Frenchmen in there and forced a peace with them. Good work!
Well, this is a perfect storm type deal for England with Scotland, France and Burgundy all after them. It's the best time to hit them even if it was right off the bat. Wished the outcome was better. Read on.

Yeah! London will soon experience the Scottish fury.
Indeed they will! :D

It does rahter seem that the tide has turned. Haggis and High Tea in London before Hogmanay and all of that. :D
I admit it was sweet marching into London after the early setbacks. Felt very nice. :cool:

Take the Stone of Scone back to Scotland!;)
You will be pleased with upcoming events. ;) I'll take plenty from London before I head back north. :D

A successful siege of London ought to make up some of that warscore from lost battles. Hard to see you not coming away with at least two provinces in that case.
I'd certainly like that outcome. The peace attempts will be in the next update. Indeed, sacking London helped a lot when that time comes.

A lot of money would be nice also.
Very good point, considering my finances. I think it is almost a must for a peace deal.

A new cozaar! Yayz! :cool:
Good to see you over here finally, Enewald. I was wondering when you'd get this way. ;)

Bring the light of baseball to the heathen English! :D

Nice job crushing the English after some bad luck.
I shall indeed. Of course, McRae has to work with his own Scotsmen. Seems they'd rather toss about trees than hit balls. ;) Thanks.

With London under siege and akk known English armies beaten, what could go wrong now?
Well, Burgundy and France could peace out leaving me holding the bag. ;) Let's hope we can work around that should it occur.

The next update will follow some time this afternoon. Pics are ready and I just need to write it up. It'll be a big time Sunday extravaganza...which is another way to say it'll be a bit lengthier. Lot's happening, surely. :cool:

Scotland Forever​

Here we are in mid 1422 and I'm covering as much of England as I can. Taking some earlier advice, I move to take out some fresh recruits in Bristol.

ToBristol1422.jpg

They are easily defeated but escape my clutches and retreat to Wales. If I'm going to have rogue troops moving around, I'm going to need some more recruits myself. (Even if I have to get rid of them when the war is over.) As I consider these thoughts, I am greeted by some sweet news:

Angliafalls1422.jpg

Not only that, but 3 days later, Lancashire also falls into our hands. The end of the war is easily in sight. I'm curious if England might want out of this so I send a shot in the dark peace offer for Northumberland, Lancashire and Yorkshire. That would be a huge haul and of course, they don't fall for it. Sent the wrong guy. Next time, it'll be Doug. Everyone is terrified of Doug. I've seen grown men pull their own heads off rather than see Doug. Even Dinsdale is frightened of Doug. He uses...sarcasm. He knows all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and...satire. He's vicious...but I digress...

With no peace, I return to the war finding victory in Wales and meeting another small English cavalry force in the Midlands.

BattleofMidlands1422.jpg

And Herr Doctor will be pleased to know that in sacking London, we take back the Stone of Scone...

StoneofScone.jpg

Now I'd like to know where the hell James I is? Shouldn't he be free now as well? No matter, I keep moving forward. And I see some curious events occur across the channel.

DauphineAnnexFrance.jpg

Not sure of the full chain of events here but I must assume Henry V dies leading to a peace for England with Burgundy. Dauphine inherits the realms of France and then soon after becomes France themselves with Charles at the helm. Now I am at war alone with England.

FrancerebornBurgundypeace.jpg

And my war exhaustion is building...

RevoltRisk1422.jpg

I send another peace offer to the English,

Peaceoffer1422.jpg

Once more, they refuse. As you can see, the knights are returning home to England and will soon be a thorn in my side. I'd much prefer them to war with themselves.

We turn to the new year of 1423 and in January, England sends us an offer of 220 ducats for peace. While the money is nice, I did not shed blood and treasure for no gain of land. If nothing else, I want Northumberland to lock down the border. Finally, in February, I send an offer the English find acceptable...Northumberland and 150 ducats.

PeacewithEngland1423.jpg

The money helps immensely as I was at wits end. I did raise war taxes one more time before the end of the war so for a moment, I have some needed funds. 100 ducats is spent immediately to hire tax collectors in the Highlands and Grampians. Army and Navy maintenance is lowered to 50% while the boys return home. In March, I disband a further 2,000 infantry to help costs. I'm still over my support limit and paying for it. Not helpful especially with the loan and higher inflation.

Europe1423.jpg

Europe, 1423

The situation in Europe seems to have calmed so I send some feelers out to the Pope hoping to end all my wars and get at my war exhaustion. He is not interested in a white peace. I start sending out some merchants. Three head to Flanders and one of them makes it in. It's now April of 1423 and Scotland looks to be heading into a period of peace.

Scotland1423.jpg

Scotland, 1423

If only the damn Pope would accept peace...

Poperejectspeace1423.jpg

He won't even accept 25 ducats to quit his crusade! :mad:

Last edited:
Silly pope.:mad:

A shame that you could not get more than one province in the peace deal, but Northumberland is acceptable: now you have a one-province border wich is a mountain province, instead of the English having it. It will take some times before your economy and war exhaustion is back to normal, however.

I am wondering, what are your long-term designs for Ireland?