• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
testudos in a battle against barbarians?
Eh, why must it always be Mark Anthony, when Marcus Antonius sounds better. :)

The battle description was oddish, barbarians are too stupid. :p
And the romans could be far more genious in their tactics. ;)

But I still like this aar. :cool:

canonized: Yes, it is spreading and hopefully it will be able to spread its wings all over gaul.

stnylan: The romans sure are a crafty bunch

Enewald: Enewald, Enewald ,Enewald. Everything will be explained later. However, the reason why I write Mark Anthony is because this AAR is in English, not latin, though if Mark Anthony were ever to write his name down it would be spelled "Marcus Antonious"

The next update should be the aftermath of the battle where we will all learn some interesting...things :D

comagoosie said:
Enewald: Enewald, Enewald ,Enewald.
Everything will be explained later. However, the reason why I write Mark Anthony is because this AAR is in English, not latin, though if Mark Anthony were ever to write his name down it would be spelled "Marcus Antonious"

The next update should be the aftermath of the battle where we will all learn some interesting...things :D

Me, Me, Me? :p

I am waiting for those interesting things.
To comment, and to be evil. ;)

Now that sounded like a very easy battle, I guess the fact that you outnumbered them and had the best troops helped a lot of course. A clever strategy, but one wonders if the infantry isn’t a little bit angry that they weren’t allowed to do the killing. Still a battle won is a victory no matter how it happened :)

Enewald: You are certainly hard to please :D And I said you name four times. Enewald: Enewald, Enewald, Enewald ;)

Lord E: war is sweet for those who have never tasted it...hey wait, that is an awesome line...gotta use it. And yes you assumed correctly, I outnumbered them 3-1 and plus I rolled a 6 and them a 1. The battle only lasted 2-3 days.

I forgot to ask this, but why not. how is the length of the updates. They are ~1000 words. I can make them longer, but they will come out in longer intervals. But I am sure all you will all say that the length is perfect ;)

I like the story so far, very enjoyable. I am worried though that with the (beautiful) details you are getting into, you will finish this game at about 2012.

Still, keep writing! :)

war is sweet for those who have never tasted it- sounds.... no idea. :p

And yes, I am hard to please. And I do not know the difference between four and three.
But now you said my name five times... :)

And the updates are fine as they are now, just keep them coming. ;)

#reaches post number 1000th#

Aww, barbarian stake. :)
Nice tactic and seems like an easy victory.

Wdll: :rofl: don't worry. Sieges will only have 1-2 updates which may be 300 days. And never forget that Caesar could die. That would suck :(

Enewald: how about six times, you little pompous spammer ;)

hjarg: :p There is a difference between barbarian stake and barbarian steak, which I didn't catch until a few moments ago. And yes the battle was almost too easy.

Now that I have just finished my previous AAR [thread=339176]here[/thread], hopefully I will be able to spend more time on this one. Yeah!

comagoosie said:
Now that I have just finished my previous AAR [thread=339176]here[/thread], hopefully I will be able to spend more time on this one. Yeah!

Yes indeedy, go go go!

I just finished reading this AAR and I'm enjoying it thoroughly after a recommendation from Rens. Keep up the good work!

Lord Boreal: terribly sorry for the delay, but I have a million reasons, though they aren't good enough.

Eber: Thank goodness for the recommendation then :D

Everyone I am so sorry for the delay. I had the entire update on paper on Monday, but then *really long story*, so now it is typed, but I don't have Rome installed on this computer so no screenshots. I am going crazy because I can't update. Just hang in there.

August 9, 696

The Northern legions continued marching through the forest. It was an estimated three days until the city of Helvetii where the first true aggression against barbarians would take place. Soldiers were anxious to draw more blood after the first taste three days ago.

Smoke that had been following them dissipated enough so that it couldn’t be smelled. Before they left the field, the Romans dug another hole in which they put their casualties alongside timber. Juluis had dirt, with a hole for air, supported by beams of wood on top of their comrades. Then they lit the fuel and the bodies were consumed in flames. A tear or two was shed for lost friends, though there weren’t many of those.

Marching away, the smoke could be seen for miles, a tactic that Julius exploited. People from all over, theoretically, would come and investigate the cause of the smoke. What they would find would be barbarian corpses strewn everywhere and no enemy bodies because the fire would burned up the supports causing a cave in, burying the roman bodies.

“Caesar, congratulations on your victory.” Julius looked around to see Mark riding headed for him.

Julius hailed him, “friend, and thank you. It wasn’t possible without you and your quick reaction time and superior authority. Those shined through that day.”

Mark pulled his horse alongside Julius’s and chuckled. “There wouldn’t be anything for me to react to if you had told me there would be an enormous hole only a few feet away.” Mark stared quizzically at Julius.

The chuckle wasn’t a comforting one and turned the situation awkward. Indeed, Julius told a limited number of people his plans, and none of them happened to be rather powerful people. “I had to do what I needed to do to achieve victory. I think how many that died would agree with me.”

Mark snorted, “Unfortunately it isn’t the dead that disagree with you but the living. Still I have to give your credit. Eighty-three dead is quite a feat any day, but when you kill around a thousand, that is extraordinary. Only someone like you could pull those results out.”

“All thanks to you, my friend. And what do you mean that the living disagree? I am a bit confused.” Julius looked up at the blue sky trying to decipher why people would get up in arms at him for winning a battle.

Mark shrugged, “I guess you can say that the greenies want blood, they want to kill their first barbarian. If I were you I would address the troops and set things straight.” Nodding at the sound advice, they continued to ride together until they broke for the night.

Later that day, Julius sat in his tent pondering what to say. He wanted to boost morale and tell the truth, yet not the whole truth. Telling the troops that in hand-to-hand combat, a barbarian would win wasn’t smart. Though telling them that they decimated the enemy was acceptable except for that it was improbable the outcome would have differed. Shaking his head, he exited and strode out into the middle of the camp.

“Men of Rome, gather around me.” Julius called out, cupping his hands to amplify his voice. Slowly but surely they followed his order and formed a circle around him until there was a sparse amount left not in the circle.

Julius cleared his throat, readying himself for what was going to come. Taking a deep breath, he started.

“I hear that we want an overview of our current position and barbarian strategy.”

There was a nodding of heads as everyone quieted down for their general.

“First, we must understand that the last battle was the first major battle between this generation of Romans and barbarians. None of you are veterans of Gallic fighting; at most you might have been in a skirmish or two. This last battle was the result of what we know best. For us that means using our superior armor to its fullest.”

The legionaries that were still wearing their armor started to beat upon it while their neighbors helped them. Julius smiled; this was already gong better than anticipated.

“That is not all. Since I have previously dealt with them, I designed a trap to ensnare the Helvetii. Our archers were stationed in the frontline to make them charge and try to create a gap. Sorry to say, for them, they didn’t see the loose foliage in front, which would give way to their death. Then our excellent marksmen picked them off once they realized that it was hopeless.”

He pointed to a group of archers who were caught off guard by the surprise. A few brave ones lifted their bows in the air in triumph. Noteworthy were some of the faces that were assigned to the second line during the battle, they were disappointed.

“Of course, I apologize to those which did not get to use their weapon. War is sweet to those who have never tasted it. But don’t worry all of you will get your fair share of blood. Now onto Gaul’s strategy.”

This was met with voices of disproval. Swords were clanged on shields and bow fired blanks creating a hum. The noises combined resonated like in the midst of a battle. Julius raised and then lowered his hands, silencing the crowd.

“Over my many years I have found four tactics used by our enemy. First, and simple, is that they prefer to have numerical supremacy.” Snickers came from within the circle. “Quiet, yes I know. Second is catching the enemy unawares. Following, is fighting on difficult terrain and charging into the enemy. Now as you may have figured out, they employed only one of their tactics. Therefore, not only did they lose but they got slaughtered.”
There were some claps here and there. That died down and everyone had their eyes on Julius. Almost in a whisper he said, “who are we?”

The front row uneasily answered, “Romans.”

A little louder he spoke, “who are we?”

This time they understood, “Romans!”

Then almost on the edge of his voice he yelled, “Who are we?”

They answered back screaming, “Romans! … Romans! … Romans!” The last shook the air as each man vied to have their voice heard.

Julius nodded and started to walk back his tent. A gap in the circle was created for him will everyone cheered his name. “Caesar, Caesar, Caesar.”

Once outside the cheering circle, Publius came up to him smiling. “I wish I had your charisma, you really stunned them and me.”

He took Publius by the shoulders and heartily laughed. “Some day you will know what it feels like.” They embraced and went their separate ways. There was no worry in Julius’s mind. The scout’s report indicated the remaining army would be stationed at the capital, but with one battle down and troops yelling his name, there were no doubts.

War is sweet to those who have never tasted it.

hmm.... :)

Caesar is odd... :p

Damn... it is not fair that somebody can speak well and others not... :(

And when Caesar asked who we are, what did the ala or auxiliaries shout? :p

So, building up the loyalty a bit as i see? ;)

Trying to keep the bloodthirsty soldiers in line XD one might wonder how much of the barbarism really is between everyone XD

Ah... Caesar's magic coming to bear....

Jaspume: Thanks. He is in control when he wins, but if he loses...

Enewald: I told you, I had to have the quote, it sounds sweet! :cool: And about the auxiliaries, I had to think long and hard, how I was going to implement them. Historically, auxiliaries were cavalry especially around this time period and I happen not to have any cav. regiments in my army. But if I so happen to get them they will be auxiliaries. Though I am assuming that there is a small number of equestrian orders, but their numbers are too few to be written about or effective. Thus, my point is that there are no auxiliaries in the army. A bit unrealistic, but who cares.

hjarg: I was kinda going for the popularity gained from the battle, but I guess loyalty works pefectly fine too :)

canonized: It is all from the point of view.

General_BT: And it seems that no one can figure out his tricks. So all is good.

On a sidenote: Exams :wacko: So expect an increase in the intervals between the already long intervaled updates.

Caesar is forging his army quite effectively.