• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So if I play with Yunnan I get annexed anyway or this is only for AI countries. If I play with communist china I have to end the war against the nationalists even if I don't want?

Have to agree with the others on the Asia colours - far too similar. That said, the map does look fantastic. How easy will it be to mod country colours?

I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

What other significant events (i.e., they have to do more than say: on this day, this happened) would you suggest?
I was hoping for an event or two to model the rise of the Popular Front in France but I understand that its probably too late for that now

I saw some typos in the Spanish map. It's La Coruña, not "Corunna", and it's Tarancón, not "Tarancon". Well, and Córdoba, Cádiz, Almería, Castellón de la Plana, Jaén, Lérida and Cáceres.

Corunna is the english name. àèìòù and similar were removed as a choice (not all keyboards have them).

I thought you used native names. Anyway, that's a residual name (literally, wiki says "still sometimes known as Corunna in English, and archaically as The Groyne") and, honestly, it hurts the eyes of all the Spaniards (Just like "Saragossa"). Moreover, the name in the map has nothing to do with keyboards. Only the name that appears when you choose the province had any relation, and it could be translated to any language via Notepad.

I thought you used native names. Anyway, that's a residual name (literally, wiki says "still sometimes known as Corunna in English, and archaically as The Groyne") and, honestly, it hurts the eyes of all the Spaniards (Just like "Saragossa"). Moreover, the name in the map has nothing to do with keyboards. Only the name that appears when you choose the province had any relation, and it could be translated to any language via Notepad.

No, no native names are used on the map. All names (or at least most we payed attention on) are using the English form about 1930's. This is needed compromise for a game that is played by people from all over the world. I'm sure Chinese players would prefer Chinese names on all China provinces and while this is a bit too extreme example it shows why we chose to stick to a single naming form.

No, no native names are used on the map. All names (or at least most we payed attention on) are using the English form about 1930's. This is needed compromise for a game that is played by people from all over the world. I'm sure Chinese players would prefer Chinese names on all China provinces and while this is a bit too extreme example it shows why we chose to stick to a single naming form.

If using pinyin, Chinese names for Chinese provinces would be great.

Moreover, in English, La Coruña is La Coruña, A Coruña, La Coruna or A Coruna, not only Corunna. And La Coruna is far better tan Corunna, and without any special letters.

I, for one, appreciate the lack of diacritics. It always made it hard for me to search for the province without knowing its ID...

I, for one, appreciate the lack of diacritics. It always made it hard for me to search for the province without knowing its ID...

As I pointed before, that has nothing to do with province's map name.

As I pointed before, that has nothing to do with province's map name.
Consistency. It is quite odd to see La Coruña, then see La Coruna in the database. It makes even less sense when you see Königsberg, then see Koenigsberg in the database. Many people would not know that ö is equivalent to oe, and then are lost. There are a couple of solutions (drop the diacritics, or use the nearest approximation) but dropping the diacritics makes the most sense, to me. Developers seem to have gone for whatever the common English name was circa 1930, this probably required more work so I appreciate the effort and historical flavor...

Last edited:
Consistency. It is quite odd to see La Coruña, then see La Coruna in the database. It makes even less sense when you see Königsberg, then see Koenigsberg in the database. Many people would not know that ö is equivalent to oe, and then are lost. There are a couple of solutions (drop the diacritics, or use the nearest approximation) but dropping the diacritics makes the most sense, to me. Developers seem to have gone for whatever the common English name was circa 1930, this probably required more work so I appreciate the effort and historical flavor...

First, I was talking to add La Coruna, not la Coruña (One thing is drop diacritics, another change the whole name), but what you tell isn't odd. Odd is to see Leningrad and St. Petersburg. In fact, it's interesting to see different languages. Second, it isn't inconsistent: one thing is the name in the map, in English, the other is the name of the province, which will be different depending of which language do you use. Third, by the same reasons you post, using the English of the 30's adds no historical flavor for non-English speakers. You could appreciate it because you speak English as mother language, but that's not the case for a lot of us. I didn't know that La Coruña was called Corunna until yesterday when I saw this. If I didn't read this AAR and post in it, I would think that Corunna was simply a mistake, as I thought the first time I saw Saragossa.

PS: And I prefer Königsberg. :p

You guys seem to be slicing hair here..

And beating dead horses.
That is why this discussion ends right here.

The convention for names were chosen to be convenient for the greatest number of players, and are final.

If you need diacritics or think your home city absolutely needs to have its name written in old sanskrit or whatever else, open a thread in the modforum and get to work, but don't spam in here.

Heh, my mate above maybe sounds a bit harsh, but that is because he is tired of similar to this discussions.
Of course we're open to correct any wrong names on the map as long as those are in-line with the convention chosen long time ago, but the convention itself is not going to be changed.

BTW there is a new version of the E3 map in the works that AFAIK uses localized names, but I'll let its creator (mumia ;)) to announce it when he wants to :)

Heh, my mate above maybe sounds a bit harsh, but that is because he is tired of similar to this discussions.
Of course we're open to correct any wrong names on the map as long as those are in-line with the convention chosen long time ago, but the convention itself is not going to be changed.

BTW there is a new version of the E3 map in the works that AFAIK uses localized names, but I'll let its creator (mumia ;)) to announce it when he wants to :)

And he's right. I know diacritics could be a problem, because that I requested La Coruna. In my point of view it's the perfect option: No diacritics, used in English and it doesn't hurt the eyes for nobody.

I won't continue this topic because the reasons you give, but I left here my advise. Take it if you want, I only want ot improve the final product. ;)