• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The plebians and elites demand their fill of entertainment!:p:D

I'd been resisting returning to King Haakon because I didn't want the massive commitment of trying to run three AARs at once, but curiosity (and writers block elsewhere) compelled me to have a quick peek back in the Fjords.

A quick few play tests from my last save confirm that it would not, in fact, be a major commitment. Have a quick go as Norway in HOI2/AOD from the 1939 start and you will soon understand why.

Therefore;
Good news - I'm now slightly more likely to continue this AAR in the near(ish) future.
Bad news - It may be quite short when I do.

I'd been resisting returning to King Haakon because I didn't want the massive commitment of trying to run three AARs at once, but curiosity (and writers block elsewhere) compelled me to have a quick peek back in the Fjords.

A quick few play tests from my last save confirm that it would not, in fact, be a major commitment. Have a quick go as Norway in HOI2/AOD from the 1939 start and you will soon understand why.

Therefore;
Good news - I'm now slightly more likely to continue this AAR in the near(ish) future.
Bad news - It may be quite short when I do.

If it will shut up these nerds then so be it.;)

So Norway's doomed then? That sounds like a challenge someone should overcome...

I like that we received a FKHATF update, but not in the actual thread. Thats got to be some sort of accomplishment!

I like that we received a FKHATF update, but not in the actual thread. Thats got to be some sort of accomplishment!
More of a trailer/teaser than an update, but certainly unusual. Certainly I hope there is some kind of award handed out for this sort of thing, to encourage such exciting developments and innovations.
DYAEiOu.gif

The 9th of March 1940

King Haakon VII of Norway had failed to arrive at the daily meeting and, while many were secretly relieved at this, he was still King and probably should have been present. Prime Minister Nygaardsvold had been despatched to get him. Nygaardsvold walked into the royal bedchamber and saw a slumbering Haakon slowly awaken at the sound of his footsteps.

"Dark have been my dreams of late," the King said, "but I feel as one new-awakened to fresh herring. I would now that you had come before, Nygaardsvold. For I fear that already you have come too late, only to see the last days of the House of Haakon."

"Dark dreams your majesty?" Nygaardsvold asked.

"Yes. I saw before me six large, fat, Herring, but they were then boxed up in five sheets of particularly poor quality plywood and the whole lot shipped off to the UK. What can it mean?" The King asked.

"That you should lay of the Gjetost cheese before bed." Nygaardsvold suggested.

"Yes that will be it, it's very unlikely to be a metaphor for the course of Norway's involvement in the war." The King agreed.

Nygaardsvold gave his monarch a very long stare before continuing.

"You must come to a cabinet meeting." He said.

"A cabinet meeting, what is it?" Haakon asked.

"It's a meeting of the senior members of a country's government to discuss the issues of the day and agree a course of action. That is important right now so lets get there."

---
Does King Haakon need the services of a modern day Joseph? What does his dream really mean? What happens to the Herring once shipped to the UK? What port are the shipped to? Is it Hull? Is there ever any excuse for Hull? Can you even get good quality plywood? Some of these questions, or less, may be answered next time on, For King Haakon and the Fjords!

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Oh my god it's back, also I'd say that Hull does have some uses, it's a level 10 port in HOI3 and a great place to base your secondary fleet when playing as the uk (primary one in Dover of course), now Scapa Flow that's a useless one, it only comes in useful if the Germans can take Norway and if you let the AI do that then your not playing the uk very well

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The 9th of March 1940

King Haakon VII of Norway had failed to arrive at the daily meeting and, while many were secretly relieved at this, he was still King and probably should have been present. Prime Minister Nygaardsvold had been despatched to get him. Nygaardsvold walked into the royal bedchamber and saw a slumbering Haakon slowly awaken at the sound of his footsteps.

"Dark have been my dreams of late," the King said, "but I feel as one new-awakened to fresh herring. I would now that you had come before, Nygaardsvold. For I fear that already you have come too late, only to see the last days of the House of Haakon."

"Dark dreams your majesty?" Nygaardsvold asked.

"Yes. I saw before me six large, fat, Herring, but they were then boxed up in five sheets of particularly poor quality plywood and the whole lot shipped off to the UK. What can it mean?" The King asked.

"That you should lay of the Gjetost cheese before bed." Nygaardsvold suggested.

"Yes that will be it, it's very unlikely to be a metaphor for the course of Norway's involvement in the war." The King agreed.

Nygaardsvold gave his monarch a very long stare before continuing.

"You must come to a cabinet meeting." He said.

"It's a meeting of the senior members of a country's government to discuss the issues of the day and agree a course of action. That is important right now so lets get there."

---
Does King Haakon need the services of a modern day Joseph? What does his dream really mean? What happens to the Herring once shipped to the UK? What port are the shipped to? Is it Hull? Is there ever any excuse for Hull? Can you even get good quality plywood? Some of these questions, or less, may be answered next time on, For King Haakon and the Fjords!

Well I was walkin' along, the banks of the river...

Queue the inevitable Jezza Clarkson "We're back!"

• 1Like
Reactions:
I was a bit surprised to get a notification about this, but looking back through the thread I see that I commented on this AAR 14 years ago, so that explains it

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Oh my god it's back, also I'd say that Hull does have some uses, it's a level 10 port in HOI3 and a great place to base your secondary fleet when playing as the uk (primary one in Dover of course), now Scapa Flow that's a useless one, it only comes in useful if the Germans can take Norway and if you let the AI do that then your not playing the uk very well
It's back and so are you. Didn't expect to see you return. It is true Hull has it's uses in game, but not so much as an actual place... ;)

Well I was walkin' along, the banks of the river..
King Haakon can only hope that his name is remembered, unlike the entirely generic Pharaoh of Joseph. Characters so generic there could well be several of them, none worthy of name or individuality.

Queue the inevitable Jezza Clarkson "We're back!"
"Defending Norway from the Germans. How hard can it be?"

I was a bit surprised to get a notification about this, but looking back through the thread I see that I commented on this AAR 14 years ago, so that explains it
I am amazed the notification system has kept track of that despite the many forum changes in between. But I am pleased that it has.

@Fiftypence It is an El Pip AAR...
Exactly. None of this fast-paced, quicker than real time rubbish around here.
DYAEiOu.gif

And yay it is back. Hopefully it will inspire more HoI2 goodness from El Pip!
This was the response it was hoping for. I make no promises on further HOI2 work, but I will see this AAR reach a conclusion and, of course, Butterfly will always continue.

Exactly. None of this fast-paced, quicker than real time rubbish around here.
DYAEiOu.gif

Not much risk of that at this point! At 14 years and counting this AAR is longer than the war was!

This was the response it was hoping for. I make no promises on further HOI2 work, but I will see this AAR reach a conclusion and, of course, Butterfly will always continue.
This one might see an end before it reaches adulthood, but will Butterfly be old enough to run for public office by the time it’s finished? Who are we kidding, it will be drawing a pension!

• 2Like
Reactions:
King Haakon can only hope that his name is remembered, unlike the entirely generic Pharaoh of Joseph.

First you need to get a hit musical going and then...

"Defending Norway from the Germans. How hard can it be?"

Well...it shouldn't have been that hard but...

Reactions:
Not much risk of that at this point! At 14 years and counting this AAR is longer than the war was!
It may yet end up my most majestically paced work.

This one might see an end before it reaches adulthood, but will Butterfly be old enough to run for public office by the time it’s finished? Who are we kidding, it will be drawing a pension!
Butterfly is looking likely to be the first inter-generational project, a work which both the writer and readers will pass onto their children to continue their work.

Well...it shouldn't have been that hard but...
It was never going to be easy, but if Norway had mobilised, say, a month earlier and had bothered to train more than one division of troops during the inter-war they probably could have defeated the OTL German invasion. At which point the knock-on consequences are huge and ripple out to the wider war. Logistics alone say that if Germany concentrates on Norway they will win, but that would seriously delay their plans for the West and the Allies are getting stronger all the time. Even if they abandon Norway the psychological impact will be huge as will the practical effects (loss of all the Ju-52s along with all the other invasion forces, etc)

This would be a fascinating subject for an AAR. But this is not that story, this is a story of Herring, matches, plywood and Fjords. And on that note, we return to Oslo

The 9th of March 1940 (Still)

The King and Nygaardsvold have arrived in one of the surprisingly large number of cabinet room bunkers under Oslo Castle. Their discussion on the logistics, and morality, of shipping Herring to Hull is interupted by the sound of wood being smashed up.

"What is the meaning of this?" Nygaarsvold asked.

"You asked us to assembled the cabinet." Armaments Minister Adolf Indrebø said sheepishly.

"But we could find a kit and didn't want to ask the Swedes for one." Minister for Security Wold spat.

"Wise move." The King nodded his agreement.

"So we decided to smash up this chest of drawers, to get some wood to be able to build a cabinet." Indrebø finished.

"Shut up. Sit down." Nygaarsvold decided.

When the cabinet had put down their tools and got to the table the King nodded at General Ljunberg to begin the briefing.

"We have activated Defence Plan N." Chief of Staff Ljunberg said.

"I'm impressed we even have 14 Defence Plans." The King said.

"No your majesty, it's a Code name." General Laake explained.

"N for Norway?" The King guessed.

"No, it's N for Not-enough-troops." Ljunberg said sadly.

"We have deployed the 1st and 2nd divisions in Oslo and Kristiansand in the south, with 5th Division under General Ruge is in Trondheim in case the Germans try to sneak into the North." Laake pointed at the map.

"The 3rd and 4th Divisions are our reserve?" Nygaarsvold asked.

"No, those divisions continue to not exist." Ljunberg said.

"There was an unfortunate numerical mistake made when we named the 5th Division." Laake confessed.

"Curse you King Oscar II!" King Haakon continued to blame his predecessor for the Norwegian Army's inability to successfully count to 5.

"So what if the Germans land anywhere else?"

"Well in that case we are probably doomed." Ljunberg speculated.

---
Will the Norwegian Army regret not garrisoning Bergen? How will soldiers trapped in 1918 react to modern warfare? What happened to the 6th Division? Why did Paradox screw over the Norwegian OOB so badly? Is it ever ethical to ship Herring to Hull? Some, all, or fewer of these questions will be answered next time on, For King Haakon and the Fjords!

• 1Like
Reactions:

I feel like I’m in a herring-infested episode of Airplane/Flying High! :D You do seem drawn to playing countries with very small militaries and primitive tech.

How will soldiers trapped in 1918 react to modern warfare?
Probably not very effectively?