• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mich333

Sergeant
74 Badges
May 18, 2012
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Semper Fi
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • 500k Club
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Darkest Hour
Hello all!
I have been enjoying the Elder Kings mod for a while and now I'm going to start an AAR dealing a user-created character, Romulus Trebatius, the duke of Virtue.

I'll post the prologue soon: it will deal with Romulus's childhood and his first steps as a duke.

Follow the Green Emperor Way

From "The Memoirs of Romulus Trebatius"
Prologue: Childhood Memories
In the year 334 of the 3 Era I was born on a certain day to uncertain parents with a now forgotten name. "You were left in the Imperial City when you were just a tiny, innocent cub", my foster father said to me once. My early years were just a mysterious, misty and strange shadow.
The earliest episode of my life I can recall right now is when I was running around with a bunch of kids in Green Emperor Way: what a sight it was with its majestic trees and all the different flowers from all over Tamriel and maybe even beyond. I was the youngest in the group and still couldn't talk even though I was probably 3 years old at the time. But I laughed and smiled all the time, through good times and bad times, through sunny and rainy days.
poxt.JPG

My foster father was a patrician of the Kingdom of the Heartlands, which emerged as the most prominent faction in northern Cyrodiil after the chaos that bursted from the assassination of Potentate Savrien-Chorak and his family. All of its neighbours tried to keep good relations with the republic and avoided large conflicts, but the year 448 was the year when this small period of apparent stability stopped and transformed in to a sequence of wars.
He became the court mage of the new ruling patrician family in White Gold Tower and taught me a lot about magics, but also about the ways of the sword and the bow: I received the training fit for a king.

In 448 my foster father was assassinated as well as his relatives and other families in the City, but I was spared as I didn't have any blood tides and wasn't his legitimate heir. I took whatever I could and ran east after I had gathered some friends and supporters. We established a small community in a nearby ruin known as Virtue and repaired the abandoned castle. Sonn I was recognized as the ruler of this new entity. The nearby factions didn't react right away to the new presence and I managed to spend 2 years in peace trying to organize my new hold and prepare for war.
In 450 I managed to be recognized as the Duke of Virtue, title that the last owners of the castle held.

My growing power started to worry some of the neighbouring rulers, especially the king of Skingrad, Sorex "the old", who thought that he had the right to rule over Virtue.
bctq.jpg

But I tried to put aside my fears and be brave: I had to follow the Green Emperor Way, claim the Imperial Isle, the Ruby Throne - that was my goal - and defeat anybody that dared to try to stop me!
wzk6.jpg

My name is Romulus Trebatius! Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited:
I love the Elder Kings mod, glad to see an AAR for it. I tried a similar game starting as Kvatch and enjoyed it a lot. Colovia and Nibenay can be challenging early on unless you can jump them or work an inheritance. Any way, good luck on your path to becoming an Emperor!

Cyrodiil is always the most interesting setting for the path to the Ruby Throne. I played a full campaign as Whiterun and it was fun uniting Skyrim and then slowly crushing Morrowind and High Rock.
I'm working on the next few updates and I am in a stalemate situation, but we'll see how the Trebatius household will figure out how to tame the colovian warlords under a true Imperial rule!

From “The Memoirs of Romulus Trebatius”​
The Ring

Ambassadors from the lords of Colovia came and went throughout the year. Most came from the city of Skingrad and were trying to persuade me to join their lord’s demesne, but I was determined not to bow to anybody except for the Eight. Other than meeting with these annoying people I spent most of my time planning the castle’s new towers and new quarters and training with my men in the courtyard. I also liked trying new spells, especially new fireball spells that the court mage made for me… I won’t tell all the accidents which these spells made me do.
Life was good back then: small court, small issues, not too many things to worry about; the only thing that tortured me at times was loneliness, but soon it would disappear.
I had a great feast in my palace and invited some patricians from the Imperial Isle and some nobles from Colovia. The music was overwhelmed by the heavy laughs of some of the nords from Bruma and by the loud talking of the patricians. I was sitting near Leyius, a childhood friend and now leader of House Vitellius, a family of the Heartlands.
After a while a nord passed out and I remember my old friend saying “Nords! Just a bunch of barbarians who are used to cheap mead and beer!”. He then started laughing, but a couple of other nords came close to our seats and started a fight with him. Sooner than later the feast came almost to look as the Arena in the Imperial City and I started to loose my patience. I shouted with all of my strength and cast a charm spell. Everybody went back to their seats.
My friend wasn’t in a bad shape, the nords were too drunk to fight properly, so we went back talking.
It was quite late and a lot of glasses came full from the kitchens and went back empty but I was still quite “sober”, if you can call it that, and I noticed a girl chatting with a couple of her friends. Leyius pointed at her and proudly told me “That’s my daughter Carmana, my second born, my first beign Humilis”. I was bewitched by her even though she wasn’t the most beautiful of flowers, but she had that something that the other women that I had seen didn’t have and still don't understand what that thing was: funny how love is.
A month later I invited the Vitellius family for a proposal. I welcomed them as if they were my kinsmen.
We entered the private dining room and Leyius made his daughter sit by my side and looked at me with a smile. The first few seconds near her were quite tense and I almost felt fear inside of me, but soon I felt a positive energy, warmth coming from her presence.
After another month of numerous meetings and feasts in which he and I talked a lot around the matter I proposed my friend that I would marry his daughter and in the end I managed to convince him completely to accept the proposal.
That day no man from Daggerfall to Necrom was happier than me.
61tw.jpg

A few days after the celebrations a messenger arrived with news from Skingrad… Very good news… By the Eight, were those great news!

From “The Memoirs of Romulus Trebatius”
Romulus “the Warlock”, part 1: Gottlesfront and Grayrock​

The messenger came running from the west.
I rapidly stepped outside in the courtyard and when he arrived asked why was he in such a rush.
“I have news for you, my liege! - he said gasping and panting – From Skingrad!”
"Oh, yes? I wonder what that old dumbass wants now. Whatever it is, it will never be done"
“It’s no message from the king, my liege, Skingrad’s vassals are fighting against their king! You must act soon, my liege! – he thought about what he said and corrected himself – Excuse me, my lord, you should act soon”
“I see. I shall rally my men march west! You, my friend, get some food and rest, you’ve earned it”
It was a matter of days. I decleared war on the county of Gottlesfront, which was a de jure county the Duchy of Virtue.
zfnv.jpg

I managed to muster about 640 men from my lands and from my vassals and march forth into enemy territory. My men and I clashed against our enemies in Skingrad right in front of the temple of Aetherius. My army crushed the enemy in a particular phalanx formation I had invented.
02de.jpg

6aa3.jpg

Victory was ours and Gottlesfront became part of the Duchy.
89ba.jpg

Right away I pointed my armies south to grab the county of Grayrock which fell quickly.
These were my first confrontations in open field and my training in the Imperial City finally was used in a real life situation. I became a better commander and from then on I would have been known as Romulus “the Warlock”.
8qp9.jpg

Colovia and Heartlands
xeu3.jpg

I am enjoy is AAR and hope it continues. You have a good writing style in my opinion and the story so far sounds believable. Keep it up!

A short update...

From “The memoirs of Romulus Trebatius”​
A growing household​
A truce was signed with the king of Skingrad and peace came back to Virtue.
News from the east told of the discovery of the Dragonborn, a petty count, Regulos of Drakelowe. I sent an emissary to visit his court and he didn’t seem quite the great man that people talked about: I still believe it was a hoax.
e0kc.jpg

Soon after I discovered that my old friend Leyius Vitellius had fabricated claims on my lands with the help of his steward. When what I had found out was confirmed I exploded in anger and some of the things I said about him after that made my wife runa way in her bedchamber. I now understand what a young, stupid and impatient boy I was back then. I managed though to apologize to her. I almost started crying when I saw her eyes swollen the day later.
h7ok.jpg

This small episode was followed by an important happening: Carmana was pregnant! Nine months later she gave birth to a healthy daughter we decided to call Rena.
fn2i.jpg

I decided to organize a great dinner inviting all of my vassals and friends to celebrate the birth of Rena.
nxqz.jpg

A year later my dear wife gave birth to a son: we gave him the name Apelles.
mcol.jpg

Peace brought growth to my household: a heir, a son, and a daughter to marry to one of the Colovian lords.

Attachments

• nxqz.jpg
    nxqz.jpg
    103,5 KB · Views: 60
Another short update... Next ones will get longer and more interesting.
Thank you Mike!

From “The memoirs of Romulus Trebatius”
Romulus “the Warlock”, part 2: Roebeck​

I was brave and confident enough to go to war again. This time I faced south, against the count of Blackboot, though he was more of a thug than a real man.
I rallied my troops near Virtue and marched south encountering no resistance in Roebeck: not even a single drop of blood was spilled there.
dkpo.jpg

Blackboot was a different thing from the other two counts though, because the thug could count on almost a thousand bandits.
In my personal study I still have a map with the battle plans drawn on it. I had placed two of my most trusted and valuable generals to the flanks with a great number of well-trained swordsmen and archers while I had placed myself in the center of the formation with a small amount of phalanxmen and skirmishers. The enemy pushed right against the center of my army and as I and my section slowly moved back, the flanks closed the enemy from the rear: what a slaughter it was. The only problem was a group of archers which was hiding in the nearby woods and which managed to kill a good number of my men, but they were clever enough to run away after they had seen defeat in their comrades’ lines.
2uoa.jpg

The battle of Blackboot was convincing enough for the thug-count to surrender and give me the county of Roebeck.

The Duchy of Virtue started to get bigger and more powerful than its "rightful" master...
clrs.jpg

Last edited:
From “The memoirs of Romulus Trebatius”​
Friendship​

Peace brought again growth to my household as my wife gives birth to another son, Adonis.
l48m.jpg

Meanwhile, Rena has reached her sixth year in Mundus and it is time for her to recieve a proper education from a member of the court. I found Paulus, one of my council members, to be the best candidate to become my daughter’s teacher.
ii3y.jpg

After a quite short council meeting, Paulus invited me for supper to his manor, not too far from the castle. I accepted happily knowing it wasn’t a trap because I trusted the man. I spent one of the most fun and entertaining evenings of my life: we passed the whole night laughing like small kids. A friendship was born.

The next month I passed most of the time with Paulus trying to figure out which way to organize the western part of my castle. He gave me some very good ideas and I put them onto the paper and already started seeing the big picture. Architecture was starting to become my favorite passtime… After war of course!
03rc.jpg

Going from my study to the barracks I saw my son Apelles fighting with other toddlers and was quite happy that he was already showing his warrior spirit: he's just like his father... Angry and strong!
s0qu.jpg

arr2.jpg

As I arrived at the barracks a man whispered in my ears there was an urgent matter to solve: it was my spymaster and the problem was quite alarming...

You'll see... :)
I have a lot of material for a lot of updates.
Also wanted to add: this is in ironman mode: no cheats, just my skills (well, I'm more of a Total War expert than a Paradox one) and some good old luck.
Talking about Total War... I'm thinking of doing another AAR with regular Crusader Kings II (maybe CKII+ or some similar mod) and recreate the battles with Medieval 2.

I'm going to role play CKII and when major battles/assaults occur (I'm obviously not going to fight every single skirmish) I'm going to recreate them in Medieval II with approximately the same number of troops (cavalry, light/heavy, archers etc.) and using tactics the general would use (if he is a defensive leader, I'm going to make him stay in a defensive stance, if he is a heavy infantry leader, I'm going to use a heavy infantry unit as his bodyguard and use infantry more than cavalry, etc.).
Obviously results may be a little different, but the battles would make roleplay better and I would add a lot of fun to the fun I'm already having with CKII alone.