Focus Your Power in New EU4 Expansion - Leviathan Gives More Development Options

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wait I get the name now, its named after Hobbes' book. Happy they are going back to naming the expansions after period texts.

Why is there a Chinese man in the next update?
He is Vietnamese. Dai Viet was affected by Chinese culture at the time.
Btw, if you can, please fix the Vietnamese culture group. I think the "Jurchen - Manchu" mechanic will be better than grouping Vietnamese and Chinese culture together, it's a little bit racist to me. Thanks in advance!
From "Great proclamation upon the pacification of the Wu", Nguyen Trai shown the Vietnam unique culture and national identity, which was written just before 1444, the starting date,17 years (1427). Zhuang and Vietnamese could be group together. In old Chinese context, Viet was the word for "barbarians from the South", which means we are different and not equal as them. This was also the situation of Zhuang and Vietnamese at the time. Consider this, after Ming annexed Dai Viet in 1407, we continuously rebel and got independent again just about 20 years later. Qing also tried to conquered Vietnam 1788 but also failed just after a few months. This should be reflected in the game.

Vietnamese kings at the time considered Nam Yue was their roots of identity. There are still mixed history information about Zhao Tuo, the guy founded the kingdom. Chinese consider him as them. But at the time, Vietnamese considered Zhao Tuo Vietnamese and one of the founding kings of ancient Vietnamese kingdom also. Thai is also from Nam Yue somehow? (it said on Wikipedia) so put Vietnamese into Thai group could be consider.

Kkmer and Vietnamese are in Austroasiatic languages group. So I think it's also fine to put Kkmer and Vietnamese in the same group culture. With Champa, which has different culture group, separate Dai Viet and Kkmer, the intention of putting Kkmer in the "hard beginning" situation is still there. And the purpose for Great March South for Dai Viet can be easily archived also.

I don't agree to use "Jurchen- Manchu" mechanic, but a mechanic like Savoy is possible. In my knowledge, there's a mission Savoy can move the capital and change main culture to fit with player playstyle (France or Italy). I suggest after took Yue, "NamYue" name tag will appear and let player decided to change main culture (Cantonese and Vietnamese), and move the capital (Canton or Dong Kinh).

Last edited:
Reactions:
It finally has a name.

Content wise, this looks good overall, even though I usually don't play ROTW countries. I also agree with the idea that this probably going to be the last big update for EU IV. If what they've done with CK is any indication, the devs are taking more of a "back to basics" approach, rather than just cramming in as many different mechanics as possible. I would guess we'll probably start getting teasers for EU V sometime within the next year or two.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am looking forward to the Southeast Asian changes.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I believe it was the malaria, rather than the ultra violet light, that really made European occupation impossible. A sun hat is pretty low-tech. And Europeans sailed through tropical latitudes with just a bit of sunburn.
Lack of interest of getting inwards was also a great factor, as most colonizers were more interested in India and China than Niger and Mali and they could get what they wanted (gold and slaves) from the coast
Brazil is thought to have had the largest number of slaves imported to it, compared to US, Spanish main, or carribean Islands, although conditions likely not as bad as Haiti. Brazil also means SA gets a focus, whereas NA was more the focus this patch.
Brazil recieved more than Half of the number of slaves imported to the Americas so slavery was one of the most important parts of the colonial and imperial periods
Slave plantations of Brazil could be a great focus of the dlc
True
For instance, the Atlantic slave trade is very underwhelming in EU4 even though it was verfy profitable at the time - and thus caused enormous misery for unfortunates sold to European slavers. Another problem is anti-Semitism and presence of Jews in Europe. It's like the holocaust came early, and the survivors high-tailed it to the Americas - or Mars.
There should be some mechanic for the countries that have slave "producing" provinces to increase the goods produced in their American colonies, like an event to increase the production (development or goods produced) in colonial nations, another event to increase manpower for them as well from slaves freed (since this is a thing that happened outside of the US), a Slaveholder that replaces nobility for CN and a Slave one that increases or decreases Unrest based on their loyalty (for example by freeing slaves from cruel Slaveholders (event)) and goods produced in the inverse based on their influence
You are right about south america and west africa. Also I think the current treaty of tordesillas is a terrible mechanic. They need a specific one where Spain tells portugal to aside from brazil stay out of the americas or else.
also, it is good to point that the Treaty of Tordesillas was also made (from the Portuguese point of view) to get Spain out of the southern Atlantic Sea as the Portuguese were really more interested in their route to India than some bullshit Western route to China they thought Castille was interested on

• 2Like
Reactions:
Lack of interest of getting inwards was also a great factor, as most colonizers were more interested in India and China than Niger and Mali and they could get what they wanted (gold and slaves) from the coast
Inability to control the interior and instead just founding trading posts where the goods could be brought to*
The demand for control of the means of production does happen once early with the Dutch and the spice islands, but its really only a late 18th century thing once the tech difference is big enough the Europeans start taking land proper
There should be some mechanic for the countries that have slave "producing" provinces to increase the goods produced in their American colonies, like an event to increase the production (development or goods produced) in colonial nations, another event to increase manpower for them as well from slaves freed (since this is a thing that happened outside of the US), a Slaveholder that replaces nobility for CN and a Slave one that increases or decreases Unrest based on their loyalty (for example by freeing slaves from cruel Slaveholders (event)) and goods produced in the inverse based on their influence
Increased population from manpower I'd rather see reflected in tax increase, as whilst as whilst the Portuguese used armed blacks when the French invaded, its quite rare after that. Slave estate could work, or just having events based on slavery for your merchant and nobility Estate vs Church Estate. Do slaves belong to a monopoly company or a royal company and what different buffs could come from this.

Quote - also, it is good to point that the Treaty of Tordesillas was also made (from the Portuguese point of view) to get Spain out of the southern Atlantic Sea as the Portuguese were really more interested in their route to India than some bullshit Western route to China they thought Castille was interested on
Response - and that control of the source of slaves once the natives are used up would be grand, but they have to fix Portugal going to India fix not carribean

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Inability to control the interior and instead just founding trading posts where the goods could be brought to*
The demand for control of the means of production does happen once early with the Dutch and the spice islands, but its really only a late 18th century thing once the tech difference is big enough the Europeans start taking land proper
We are talking about Africa, for now, though, and there was no need for Europeans to control the "production" centers of slaves
Increased population from manpower I'd rather see reflected in tax increase, as whilst as whilst the Portuguese used armed blacks when the French invaded, its quite rare after that. Slave estate could work, or just having events based on slavery for your merchant and nobility Estate vs Church Estate. Do slaves belong to a monopoly company or a royal company and what different buffs could come from this.
I said "manpower from freed slaves" it didn't apply to slaves generally since, obviously, arming slaves is a terrible idea.
Response - and that control of the source of slaves once the natives are used up would be grand, but they have to fix Portugal going to India fix not carribean
Slaves only became relevant after Brazil's sugar took off, and the Portuguese AI goes for the Caribbean because the Indian is rarely profitable for any non-player colonizer

1613483667324.png

• 7Haha
Reactions:
Your idea is not bad but the triangle trade have 3 sides, this idea only interact/affect 2 sides: European colonizers and new world colonies. African kingdoms/tribes should have some form of impact too for owning slave producing provinces or by having foreigner trade companies producing slaves in their area.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Your idea is not bad but the triangle trade have 3 sides, this idea only interact/affect 2 sides: European colonizers and new world colonies. African kingdoms/tribes should have some form of impact too for owning slave producing provinces or by having foreigner trade companies producing slaves in their area.
Infantry and siege modifiers until they completely modernise?

• 1Like
Reactions:
The drawbacks could be increased national unrest and development cost, scaling with the number of slave producing provinces in their region, the numbers should be carefully balanced. The bonus and penalties could be removed with slavery abolition decision that become available after certain tech level.

In the suggestions sub-forum exist a very good topic about west Africa and one of the ideas is that after the "Triangle Trade event" provinces in west Africa and central Africa near trade companies should have a huge chance of change their trade good to slaves if they reach 100% devastation, it is a penalty for the region because you can lose valuable trade goods like ivory, gold and gems.

There are already some events in place that touches on the triangle trade and European trade in Africa but they are very few and all predetermined. There are also one or two generic events that have to do with Europeans getting African slaves.

The only event that comes to mind is that Mali gets and event where they get cheaper and strong cavalry.

Reactions: