Flavor (and events?) for Cultural Unions

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Weeeell...Milan had not been a city-state for almost 50 years, in 1444 (Gian Galeazzo bought dukedom in 1395), and had been moving away from that model steadily, smacking indipendence ambitions in its lands. It should NOT be an OPM, either, as it was a decent regional power - a bit less powerful than Venice, but certainly not Ulm-level. It is, if the map stands as it is now, a 3PM (Lombardia, Cremona, Parma). Also, a Milanese Italy would hardly be "Roman" - I could see them keeping the capital in Milan or, at most, moving it to Pavia, capital of the Lombardy of old.

But yes, while saying that we need "ahistorical DHE" is a semantical nonsense, we DO need flavour for nations that could become major players, at least - the cultural unions. I would advocate for flavour on the whole line but well, that's out of the door with no chance of changing, it seems.

Plenty of ways. First of all, instead of being one of the minor states of balkanised Italy, Milan would be one of the many provinces of big country with totally different foreign policy, and likely capital of Rome. Thus city of Milan and Lombardy would develop very differently than historically. There are other things, like type of government, types of ruling classes, religion. What if such Italy would go protestant, be involved in many religious wars, and go through the period of internal infighting, resulting in conservative Calvinist religion being predominant? It would be totally different Italy in which events for smallish Catholic Milan would make no sense. What if such Italy becomes despotic monarchy with strong militaristic aristocratic ruling class? Events written for city states with strong burgher class/merchants/republican traditions would make no sense at all. Game can progress in plenty of different ways, all of which would make events based on history totally out of place.

That would be true if DHEs were fixed, but as far as I know any DHE in EU4 will depend on pre-conditions. Because. truth to be told, even if you don't form Italy with Milan, you can transform it totally (creating a vast Empire, for example) to the point in which any fixed DHE created for a small duchy in Northen Italy would be ridiculous. DHEs of Milan transfered to Italy would have of course the same pre-conditions, so an Italy so diverse as you envision will not have those events. For that matter, I'd like to see international DHEs that any country can have if it mets the pre-conditions, even if in history another country had the event.

That would be true if DHEs were fixed, but as far as I know any DHE in EU4 will depend on pre-conditions. Because. truth to be told, even if you don't form Italy with Milan, you can transform it totally (creating a vast Empire, for example) to the point in which any fixed DHE created for a small duchy in Northen Italy would be ridiculous.

Yes - you're right. They should have rigid triggers, and in effect unless one plays totally via historical path, few to none of them would ever fire. That's why I don't understand why devs decided to go with DHEs as it seems to be a lot of work for a very little effect (counter-productive).

DHEs of Milan transfered to Italy would have of course the same pre-conditions, so an Italy so diverse as you envision will not have those events. For that matter, I'd like to see international DHEs that any country can have if it mets the pre-conditions, even if in history another country had the event.

Yeah, if devs concentrated on such generic events instead of historical ones, game would be better and work spent on events more visible in actual game. And no matter whether you play France totally historically, ahistorically unify Italy with Milan, or play some forgotten OPM - there would be similar amount of content and entertainment.

With historical events we may get some kind of flashback from EU2, where you had to chose between playing country with lots of events via same, old, tired, predictable historical path, and dull, less renown countries without events.