Flashpoint: The Periphery Is A Harsh Mistress

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hobbes__

Major
4 Badges
Sep 11, 2018
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
HarshMistress.png
HarshMistressFull.png

20200117200814_1.jpg

New flashpoint, originally created for the Hyades Rim mod (to be included on its upcoming 4.3 version), released as standalone for BattleTech 1.8.X (requires all DLCs and ModTek 0.7.6).

Please send me a private message to get the link if you can't find the mod at Nexusmods - forum rules don't allow to post outside links.

It is a starting Flashpoint, will spawn a few weeks after career start, with some nice early presents to the player, and you'll need a Mechbay well stocked with mediums to complete it. It was inspired by Robert Heinlein's The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, pirate tales and the awesomeness of HBS's Marauder BattleMech.

Last edited:
ccc.png

*holds sealed letter to forehead*
i see moon landscapes and a sweltering heat.....

most things dont as the HBS mod loader is buggy as all get out.
that will change
until then your best bet for any mod use is the old way.
get modtek from github (7.6 or higher) which now uses the built in hbs UI
and put the mods in the old location and use the injector

No story spoilers cuz it's good nuff you should go play it! I'm giv'n it 4 outta 5 (cuz no one should ever get a 5 rating..)

Mister Hobbes.. Nice job! and looking forward to the rest of the series because it's obvious to ME it is but one flash point, of a series of flash points!

*rubs hands in anticipation*

It's our next big Hyades Rim teaser is what it is! Darn you Hobbes!

Really enjoyed it. Went in with a Marauder refitted with 2 SPPC, and lugging 2LB2X stuffed in the torso for main ride.. (decapitator!) 1 of my SND-1's (from my mod, picked it up as salvage) and the assassin variant from the mod packing the sword.. limited me to 200 tons but with a 75 ton cap for any one mech it gave me options I could work with. so only 3 mechs (been watch'n TheEdmon.. gett'n inspired...) I went in with the short lance. Didn't loose a single allied unit.. Wasn't easy. Got pounded. The Sandman is going to be in the shop for a bit. One pilot down for a couple weeks. Good fight.. and Multipule drops with no time to repair between is a good call. Ya either take em with nothing fixed beyond armor patched or grab a spare mech..

I have 4 mechs under repair from this Flashpoint mission bundle. Most of it self caused as from punching the red line and taking heat damage.

So yea, good fights!

Mister Hobbes.. Nice job! and looking forward to the rest of the series because it's obvious to ME it is but one flash point, of a series of flash points!

*rubs hands in anticipation*

It's our next big Hyades Rim teaser is what it is! Darn you Hobbes!

I got the setting for at least two other FPs, each of them to recover another of the pirate leader non-random starting 'Mechs. Let's see how those ones go.

@Hobbes__ Thanks for the awesome job.

3 consecutive deploys was challegening, specially considering we´re limited to a 200t lance. I didn´t lost a mech. But got 3 with internal dmg and 2 pilots in the sick bay.
The only negative was the absence of a Flashpoint decision.
I found a bug. In the TA mission, if you have your lance on evac point in the same turn the target is destroyed, you get a mission failed result. Had to reload, wait a turn and move into the evac point.

Waiting eagerly for the next FPs!

@Hobbes__ Thanks for the awesome job.

3 consecutive deploys was challegening, specially considering we´re limited to a 200t lance. I didn´t lost a mech. But got 3 with internal dmg and 2 pilots in the sick bay.

I prefer consecutive deployments for several reasons, one of them being the challenge.

The only negative was the absence of a Flashpoint decision.

I completely agree: Flashpoints are all about decisions, but with this particular FP and its setting, I wanted to literally tie the player's hands.

I found a bug. In the TA mission, if you have your lance on evac point in the same turn the target is destroyed, you get a mission failed result. Had to reload, wait a turn and move into the evac point.

Waiting eagerly for the next FPs!

I'm 95% sure that on my last attempt on that TA mission that I had all my lance in the evac point when the target was destroyed. But I'll keep an eye for this in the future.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Will this mod play nicely with BEX-CE installed? It certainly looks interesting.

It's made to work with the vanilla game, nothing else required.

Version 1.2 released at Nexusmods.

Change log:
* Fixed: several contract location inconsistencies
* Changed: first contract now has friendly turrets and APCs and more baddies
* Changed: third contract now has the enemy motor pool active

For what it's worth, I have a 100% repeatable bug that causes the game to crash when Kitten 4 fires for the first time in Mission 2. Using Extended Commanders Edition and the CAB.

You either have a corrupt database (delete the .modtek folder and restart the game) or one of these mods is causing the issue.