• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sir Iain

Major
19 Badges
Jan 10, 2008
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
Dear developers,

While of only very minor importance, would you make it possible to have a diffent flag and the arms for a country? Especially in Great Britain the fact that in EU3 they had to be the same leads to weird results. There's no English or Scottish flags, only banners of arms. But because GBR flag is so widely recognised, it's flag is used as it's arms.

While probably much harder to code, a separate flag and arms for the Holy Roman Empire would be very nice. An Imperial Austria would fly the eagle, but if it was to remain a minor duchy, it should stick to it's red-white-red triband.

Is this feasible?

Yes please. In fact, could we please have flags and CoA that can be changed by event, rather than one flag for each TAG? That way France could go from the Fleur-de-lise to the tricolor without a TAG-change.

CK2 (with the ruler designer) stores CoA information in the savegame, rather than locking each title to a specific CoA. It would be great if EU4 used a similar file-structure (say "flag = france_royal" vs "flag = france_republican"), along with a command to change the flag/CoA in events.

Yes please. In fact, could we please have flags and CoA that can be changed by event, rather than one flag for each TAG? That way France could go from the Fleur-de-lise to the tricolor without a TAG-change.

CK2 (with the ruler designer) stores CoA information in the savegame, rather than locking each title to a specific CoA. It would be great if EU4 used a similar file-structure (say "flag = france_royal" vs "flag = france_republican"), along with a command to change the flag/CoA in events.

This was possible in EU2 and I would be surprised if it wasn't incluced in EU4.

This would make it harder to recognize which units/ships/countries go together. I realize that some of the people on this forum are really into heraldry, but the vast majority of customers for this game are not.

For gameplay reasons, I think countries generally need to be represented in a unique and consistent way, lest it be confusing. Distinguishing between a flag and a coat of arms causes problems, because except for the more well-known ones, it will be hard to see at a glance which coat of arms and which flag belong to the same country.

That said, making tags separate from flags/coats of arms is definitely a good idea. It adds a lot of flavor if switching government types also switches the flag, such as switching to the French revolutionary tricolor.

This would make it harder to recognize which units/ships/countries go together. I realize that some of the people on this forum are really into heraldry, but the vast majority of customers for this game are not.

It might be hard at first, but I think people could get used to it. I mean, Paradox games aren't known for being easy to learn, and this really wouldn't be that hard.