• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Milan23

Captain
40 Badges
Mar 15, 2016
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
As I am from the Balkans i find that this is the region i naturally care and know most about and i feel it is terribly underrepresented in the game. Currently i am please with Serbia and Bosnia and i don't feel too much needs to be done as for most of the game's timeline they were owned by the Ottomans but there are a few things which mainly involve Venice and Hungary

1) Split Dalmatia into 2 provinces. Whilst this may be the least important of my suggestions i feel that Split and Zadar were big enough cities in their own right and Dalmatia is too big and ugly. They weren't highly developed but they were important trade ports. It would look something like this:

Dalmatia.png

2)My second suggestion is to take the sea away from Serbia. Atm Serbia has cost with Zeta and whilst Serbia did have some access to the sea this was very minor and frankly its too small to incorporate. The Venetians owned most of the coast of Zeta and this should be given to them and renamed Kotor and should be a Serbian and Zetan core. As a Serb it pains me to take away our precious sea but for historical accuracy and better representation of Venice's power in the Balkans it makes sense.

20160719164028_1.png

3) Finally this is the one that is most important to me. One of the biggest and most important cities in the Balkans - Belgrade - is completely ignored in the game. I understand that this is because its awkward because it was owned by Hungary and right on the border with Serbia but this is no excuse to not include it. Unfortunately the only way is to make it a micro/city province as it simply didn't have any land but the city itself and surrounding villages. Also Smederevo (Serbia's capital) it in completely the wrong location and i have fixed that. My solution is below:
Belgrade.png

It should be of Serbian culture, orthodox and a Serbian core. I'd give it development of between 16-20 and a level 3 fort (Belgrade Fortress) as it kept the Ottomans out for ages and was known for being very defensible. Belgrade should also be made a CoT because of the confluence of the Sava and Danube and considering the Ragusa node only has 1 it makes a lot of sense. This will also help buff Hungary. An added bonus would be to give serbia decision to make Belgrade the capital but i think this is asking for too much :D. Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated and i hope the devs consider this for the game as it would make Venice and Hungary more interesting as well as the mighty Serbia.

Reactions:
Upvote 0
Update 1)
20160721121925_1.png

Both Trieste and Rijeka are wrong as they aren't part of the regions of Istria and Lika so only solution is to make them separate provinces. Austria has too much sea anyway so its fine to give some of the land to Trieste. New capitals of Istria and Lika would be Pula and Gospic. Also make either Rijeka or Trieste CoTs as both were important ports.

Reactions:
Yeah Balkans have to be fixed. Prussia(Remember square Memel? lmao), France, Russia and Finland got fixed- Balkans need a make over too.

Reactions:
Yeah Balkans have to be fixed. Prussia(Remember square Memel? lmao), France, Russia and Finland got fixed- Balkans need a make over too.
France still isn't great, although I highly doubt they'll get another make-over/re-drawing soon. However the borders around the Southern Netherlands, especially Hainaut, Cambrai and Rethel, are absolutely awful and are very ugly, especially after the Burgundian inheritance.

As to the original suggestion, I don't see why a Kotor province needs to take up the entire coastline.

Venezia_Montenegro.svg

Whilst Venice not having the entire coastline at the start of the game is inaccurate, it would allow Serbia to maintain sea access and be more accurate for the rest of the game.

Reactions:
France still isn't great, although I highly doubt they'll get another make-over/re-drawing soon. However the borders around the Southern Netherlands, especially Hainaut, Cambrai and Rethel, are absolutely awful and are very ugly, especially after the Burgundian inheritance.

As to the original suggestion, I don't see why a Kotor province needs to take up the entire coastline.

Venezia_Montenegro.svg

Whilst Venice not having the entire coastline at the start of the game is inaccurate, it would allow Serbia to maintain sea access and be more accurate for the rest of the game.
I don't think you understand what this map is saying. It's saying that all the land south of the Purple dotted line used to belong to Venice but was lost by 1573. I'm not sure if you're aware but EU4 starts in 1444 so it was entirely possible (factual) that Venice held this land in 1444. As I said in 1444 Venice didn't own all of the Zetan coastline but Serbia only had a very small coastline which is way too small to incorporate a sit would involve 2 micro Venetian provinces either side of it. If you want to disprove me feel free but you need better evidence..

I don't think you understand what this map is saying. It's saying that all the land south of the Purple dotted line used to belong to Venice but was lost by 1573. I'm not sure if you're aware but EU4 starts in 1444 so it was entirely possible (factual) that Venice held this land in 1444. As I said in 1444 Venice didn't own all of the Zetan coastline but Serbia only had a very small coastline which is way too small to incorporate a sit would involve 2 micro Venetian provinces either side of it. If you want to disprove me feel free but you need better evidence..

I recognised it would be inaccurate for 1444, but the game is 1444-1821. Provinces borders aren't designed to only be accurate for the start of the game. I was just pointing out a way for Serbia to retrain some coast via Zeta.

Reactions:
I'll throw in an image to consider. This is what I got from research for expanding Voltaire's Nightmare, which can be taken as 'an ideal situation where province sizes don't matter':

2.png

Information on Venice's lands on the Zetan coast was somewhat contradictory from maps alone, but I got the impression from looking at individual cities that they did control the entire coastline there in 1444, albeit losing parts of it quickly to the native states and the Ottomans. A very simple way to take away Serbian sea access would be to start Zeta/Montenegro as a vassal rather than a nonexistant entity. Historically they were notable for joining the League of Lezhe (the Albanian alliance), and Paradox has already filled out the ruler histories all the way through from 1385 AD.

What is interesting is that Hum/Herzegovina/The Duchy of Saint Sava controlled a tiny area between Ragusa and Venice centered around Herceg Novi; and more notably, they actually controlled the whole Makarska region before selling it to Venice shortly after game start. If this warring duchy is simply represented as pretender rebels as in the mod posted above, it would make sense to give the hypothetical new Split province to Bosnia.

Adding a new province for either Trieste or Rijeka also seems like a good idea, because Gorz could then rightfully be turned into an independent OPM

Reactions:
Heres what i made:

yAwwBo0.jpg

I tried something similar:

20160727234426_1.jpg

Granted, my main focus was buffing Venice more than anything else.

(I'm still of the opinion that Japan's map needs an update before any other part of the world is touched, as it's the only place left that hasn't.)

Reactions:
What about Bulgaria? Could it do with a few changes?

Dobruja would be a change to Bulgaria as well as to Romania.