• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Martin_Mortyry

A pretentious asshole who thinks he knows history
35 Badges
Jun 4, 2015
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
Ahhh, Neumark. Teutonic province with Brandenburg core, owned by Poland in 3 out of 4 games. What a mess it is!
A few patches back that province has been split into Neumark and Sternberg. Now upon (almost) inevitable Commonblob conquest of Oder-Neisse the province of Sternberg keeps its German name and Neumark changes into Lubusz... except - Lubusz (Ger. Lebus) in situated in province of Sternberg!
Solution to this inconsistency is very simple - give Sternberg a dynamic name: Lubusz or Torzym(not sure which one was more important in that time period but I'm pretty certain it was the former) and change Neumark's dynamic name to, say, Gorzów.

Reactions:
Upvote 0
Agree.

Though by my rather limited historical knowledge, Myślibórz (Soldin) was more significant in administrative terms than Gorzów. (I don't know how well that fits in with EU's map).

Reactions:
You should probably post this in the suggestions forum instead.
Yeah, I thought I was doing so, but I derped and accidently put it here. :oops: Oh well, hope the devs still read it.

Though by my rather limited historical knowledge, Myślibórz (Soldin) was more significant in administrative terms than Gorzów. (I don't know how well that fits in with EU's map).
You might be right, but Myślibórz, especially without our special letters, won't look as good as Gorzów(and iirc ó is one of supported letters).

Yeah, I thought I was doing so, but I derped and put it here. :oops: Oh well, hope the devs still read it.
The regular forum is flooded fast so I wouldn't count on it. On the other hand the devs do look at the suggestion forum so I would repost it there. And they do listen to dynamic names requests; just look at all those dynamic names Denmark received in the latest patch. Those were all ones I suggested and which then got added. (Though those dastardly Swedes decided to suppress the use of the glorious Danish =...!:mad:)

So now you can enjoy names like these when playing as Denmark and conquering Poland:
255 Kalisz -> Gnesen, Gniesna. CS
43 Danzig -> Danzig. CS (just pointing out that it is Danzig and not Gdansk.)
2963 Notec -> Netzeland, Netz=Districtet. CS
254 Poznan -> Posen. CS
256 Plock -> Plozk. CS
1859 Chelmno -> Culm. CS
1939 Leczyca -> Lentschiza. CS
262 Krakow -> Krakov (Cracovia, Carodunum). CS
257 Warszawa -> Warschava, Varschau, (Varsaria). CS

You might be right, but Myślibórz, especially without our special letters, won't look as good as Gorzów(and iirc ó is one of supported letters).
Are you sure Myślibórz can't be written in game?

It can, but it will be "Myslibórz" or "Mysliborz". Gorzow/Gorzów just looks better and is easier to remember/pronounce/spell for foreigners.
You can't use ś in game?

Nope, you can only use ó of all I know.
Interesting. I thought they could be used, since I remember using them in my personal CKII mod. Or at least I have used Š. And with Stellaris have full UTF-8 support it is strange that they didn't implement this to EU4.
This is what I got when trying to have Neumark be Myślibórz in game---as you can see ó can't be used either.
eu4_9.png

Attachments

• eu4_9.png
    eu4_9.png
    2,6 MB · Views: 30
The ó can be used. You need to encode the file in ANSI not UTF-8.
Hope this helped :)

I figured this out while doing Portuguese province names, lots of â, á, ú, í, ó, é, ã, etc.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Yeah, it works for all (ANSI, I guess) 'standard' western keyboard layouts. This includes ó, which I guess is used in other Latin languages but does not include ś, which I guess is not.

If you use Polish programmers, in my experience, none of the special characters work (including ó).

You need to encode the file in ANSI not UTF-8.
I thought I did since I didn't change the encoding style when editing in Myślibórz.

What about Santok? I remember someone suggesting that name in one of the other threads some time ago. It was a formerly Polish fortress that was apparently still important for quite some time to the point that the Polish kings kept the title of castellan of Santok despite not owning the castle up until the late XVIII century, according to the Wikipedia.

Why is everyone necroing my threads all of the sudden? Not that I complain. ;)
What about Santok? I remember someone suggesting that name in one of the other threads some time ago. It was a formerly Polish fortress that was apparently still important for quite some time to the point that the Polish kings kept the title of castellan of Santok despite not owning the castle up until the late XVIII century, according to the Wikipedia.
Yeah, I've read that too, probably in one of the threads about dynamic Polish names.

It confuses me, why doesn't this province have a dynamic name yet? It's been almost a year since this thread, even more since the split of Neumark. Anyway, I doubt Paradox's gonna do anything with that in this patch - it's too Asia focus and the issue doesn't really matter... almost at all.

It confuses me, why doesn't this province have a dynamic name yet? It's been almost a year since this thread, even more since the split of Neumark. Anyway, I doubt Paradox's gonna do anything with that in this patch - it's too Asia focus and the issue doesn't really matter... almost at all.
Was @Trin Tragula pinged? If not then it's likely no dev saw the request in the first place and that's why it hasn't been added. Because in my experience dynamic name suggestions are added as long as they're well documented. And that it's a long time since the province split doesn't mean much, since the devs likely knew nothing about these names until made aware of them here. And even if they perhaps knew a little they very well didn't have the resources to verify the names. Just look at how there were no Danish dynamic names for the first 3 years of the game's life until I suggested a long list---and that's names which are quite similar to the Swedish names and hence very likely quite familiar to the devs.
And yes, it's certainly too late for the patch---though had you been in time I'm pretty sure it would have been added despite the patch being Asian focused.

No idea whether Myslibórz or Santok is most appropriate for Neumark.

Might've been me who suggested Santok based on the fortress. I also suggested the Kashubian form of Landsberg - Łącbarg (would be rendered as Lacbarg ingame I guess because eu4 hates Polish characters) - as the name Gorzów is quite modern and would be kinda anachronous.

Might've been me who suggested Santok based on the fortress. I also suggested the Kashubian form of Landsberg - Łącbarg (would be rendered as Lacbarg ingame I guess because eu4 hates Polish characters) - as the name Gorzów is quite modern and would be kinda anachronous.
The reason why the game lacks Polish characters (except for ó) was explained here. AFAIK all newer games made by Paradox have support for all country-specific letters.

but dynamic names for Neumark and Sternberg were only added in updated .txt, which most likely wasn't checked by Paradox.
That's why you never, ever edit in important information. Because if somebody already has read/loaded the post he'll never know of the edit unless he rereads the thread. If you have something important to add then make a new post.

The reason why the game lacks Polish characters (except for ó) was explained here. AFAIK all newer games made by Paradox have support for all country-specific letters.
At least Stellaris uses UTF8. And the reason that Polish letters are supported in past titles indeed is that the engine originally wasn't UTF8, but Latin1. And Latin1 only covers the characters used in Western European langauges. So it's perfectly adequate for the languages PI supports plus for having things like Swedish names in game.