Fix AI debt spiral / alliance issues. It's been broken for weeks, and it's gamebreaking.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, Paradox is decent to tolerate public criticism of Paradox in Paradox's own forum. This must be hard for management to do, but it is also the right thing to do.

I suspect that Paradox's tolerance is costly to the company, in terms both of morale and of lost sales; but dishonesty brings its own, hidden costs. Paradox is an honest company. (Like most Western companies, Paradox buys into dishonest human-rights-commission-style suppression of "hate speech." My compliment regarding Paradox's honesty would itself be dishonest if it failed to mention this point! However, the hate-speech-censorship fiasco is obviously a cancer in the larger society, not a problem with Paradox specifically.)

Paradox's honesty is appreciated by me and is a significant reason I continue to buy PDS products.

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Wow I took a break from this game around right after Dharma was released. Back than leading up to it the big things people complained about was trade company land being way to good and the ai being bad. Up to dharma the devs acknowledged that TC land was to good and then released an expansion that made it even better.
After Dharma/1.26's release they talked about wanting to improve the ai and since I really didn't like 1.26 I took a break.

That was 2 years ago and returning now it's really sad to see that nothing came of wanting to improve the ai and that they literally broke.
Haven't bought anything from paradox since dharma and sadly it seems they've become an even worse company since then.

Reactions:
Emperor is the last thing I'm going to pre-order from Paradox, and I'll be aiming not to buy anything at full price either. It's unfortunate that the summer of discontent is tainting everything else with the fossil logo, but it is not the choices of the consumers that has led to this.

• 3Like
Reactions:
At this point, I would be OK even if there's just an event that fires every 5 years that cancels all AI debt. It's a fudge, but at least one that makes the game more playable. But more fundamentally, bankruptcy needs to be reworked to be less punishing or at least more realistic (see my suggestion: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/on-bankruptcy-and-loans.1407191/) , and the AI obviously needs to get better to not go broke all the time.

Reactions:
At this point, I would be OK even if there's just an event that fires every 5 years that cancels all AI debt. It's a fudge, but at least one that makes the game more playable. But more fundamentally, bankruptcy needs to be reworked to be less punishing or at least more realistic (see my suggestion: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/on-bankruptcy-and-loans.1407191/) , and the AI obviously needs to get better to not go broke all the time.

I would much prefer an actual solution instead of a bandaid. A good start would be reverting the money and AI building logic to the 1.24 version, as that build had the best money handling by the AI, hands down. And that led to the AI also being the most compenent we've seen it ever be without mods. Not amazing, but you know, more competent.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hey, France, at least give give me some favors for clearing your 910 ducats debt you've been in for the last 50 years so we can go to war against Burgundy...

...or you can keep guaranteeing Liege for no reason and attacking England every once in a while.

• 2Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Like most Western companies, Paradox buys into dishonest human-rights-commission-style suppression of "hate speech." My compliment regarding Paradox's honesty would itself be dishonest if it failed to mention this point! However, the hate-speech-censorship fiasco is obviously a cancer in the larger society, not a problem with Paradox specifically.)

Oh brother lmao

• 2Haha
Reactions:
I would much prefer an actual solution instead of a bandaid. A good start would be reverting the money and AI building logic to the 1.24 version, as that build had the best money handling by the AI, hands down. And that led to the AI also being the most compenent we've seen it ever be without mods. Not amazing, but you know, more competent.

That's a fair criticism. I'd rather see the AI fixed so it doesn't go broke either, but as a hotfix to get the game working reasonably well again, it couldn't hurt to apply a bandaid in the short run, while 1.31 changes AI behavior to avoid going bust so often.

I'm not sure simply reverting the economic AI to 1.24 actually works. That was ~2.75 years ago, and there's a lot of other moving pieces that must have changed since that would make that difficult to actually implement without causing a ton of other bugs.

Reactions:
It's very simple at the moment.
I'm pretty sure paradox team members can read.

1... Acknowledge the issue on this forum and say you are working on a fix.
2.. Fix it.

Why can't they just do that ?
Are they ignoring us for a reason ?
What is galling is that we have to rely on the unpaid work of modders to be able to actually play a decent game.
Paradox, do you have any pride in your work ?

• 5Like
Reactions:
By the way, Paradox is decent to tolerate public criticism of Paradox in Paradox's own forum. This must be hard for management to do, but it is also the right thing to do.

I suspect that Paradox's tolerance is costly to the company, in terms both of morale and of lost sales; but dishonesty brings its own, hidden costs. Paradox is an honest company. (Like most Western companies, Paradox buys into dishonest human-rights-commission-style suppression of "hate speech." My compliment regarding Paradox's honesty would itself be dishonest if it failed to mention this point! However, the hate-speech-censorship fiasco is obviously a cancer in the larger society, not a problem with Paradox specifically.)

Paradox's honesty is appreciated by me and is a significant reason I continue to buy PDS products.
Iam so confused. PDX good? Bad? Orange man bad?

• 1Like
Reactions:

Companies don't deserve praise for not doing bad things. Deleting comments just because they are critical is completely indefensible behavior, and just because some companies engage in it does not mean we should praise other companies simply for abstaining.

That said, I appreciate the fact that Paradox maintains this forum - I have been using it for over 14 years. I am sure there is a cost to running and moderating it. But I'm not going to give them any points for simply not being awful. My standards are better than that.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Companies don't deserve praise for not doing bad things. Deleting comments just because they are critical is completely indefensible behavior, and just because some companies engage in it does not mean we should praise other companies simply for abstaining.

That said, I appreciate the fact that Paradox maintains this forum - I have been using it for over 14 years. I am sure there is a cost to running and moderating it. But I'm not going to give them any points for simply not being awful. My standards are better than that.
Agreed.

and given PDX relies so heavily on using its playerbase as its QA (a bad practice in my book, they should put resources into released functionally games in the first place, but hey-ho), it surely needs this forum to have critical comments so they can know when things aren't working. So it would be shooting itself in the foot if it censored dissenting views.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I am glad that my earlier comment has afforded some commenters an unintended chance for levity. Meanwhile, I like Paradox. I like how Paradox does business. I like DDRJake and am sorry that he no longer works there. My mind is unlikely to change on these points.
Deleting comments just because they are critical is completely indefensible behavior, ...
No, deleting so-called "hate speech" is completely indefensible behavior.

(Downvoters can downvote this comment as much as they like. Fatuous online smirkers can smash the smirk button, too, if it makes them feel better. Has no effect. Since forum rules forbid me from defending my side on the hate-speech point, my side—as everyone knows—wins that debate by default.)

Last edited:
  • 4Haha
Reactions:
Go to the ledger and hover over any of the modifiers mentioned in this page. If there is a negative modifier called bankruptcy then you know they have declared it less than 5 years ago. https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Economy#:~:text=Bankruptcy,-Please help with&text=If the combined monthly interest,loan to manually declare bankruptcy.

Alternatively, check the country's adm score on the ledge. Loans and bankruptcy subtract points from it.

Lastly, you can adjust your message settings to be notified when someone declared bankruptcy.

Now, why they fight so well despite having debt? Without having more details I'd say that they had high revanchism and that was keeping them afloat for a while.
Thank you mate, i just did what you told me :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am glad that my earlier comment has afforded some commenters an unintended chance for levity. Meanwhile, I like Paradox. I like how Paradox does business. I like DDRJake and am sorry that he no longer works there. My mind is unlikely to change on these points.

No, deleting so-called "hate speech" is completely indefensible behavior.

(Downvoters can downvote this comment as much as they like. Fatuous online smirkers can smash the smirk button, too, if it makes them feel better. Has no effect. Since forum rules forbid me from defending my side on the hate-speech point, my side—as everyone knows—wins that debate by default.)

Not a word on hate speech. In fact, the rules never directly mention any of the buzzwords (i.e hate speech). It only mentions toxicity and trolling.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Not a word on hate speech. In fact, the rules never directly mention any of the buzzwords (i.e hate speech). It only mentions toxicity and trolling.

The TOS explicitly mentions hate speech:

1597501602384.png

Anyway, we've wandered off into a completely different topic so I am locking the thread as it stands.

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.