Fix AI debt spiral / alliance issues. It's been broken for weeks, and it's gamebreaking.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadelith

Major
87 Badges
Feb 6, 2003
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Heir to the Throne
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
Allied Russia, as Sweden.

Russia never joins (or even gets anywhere near joining) any of my wars because it has 5k debt. It ALWAYS has 5k debt. That's -190 reason, which is insurmountable by any +'s I have.

But it has zero issues declaring wars on its own to commonwealth the moment their truce timer is up.

I fight the whole war for him (70-80% warscore), and he gets all the provinces, and maybe gives me 1-2. Now, he got so many provinces he's going for provinces I clicked as 'vital importance'... 50 years ago. But I couldn't get them because allies in EU4 right now are abusive spouses who take everything they can possibly get and give nothing in return.

I had 100 trust AND favor for so long now, that it's funny when I get ANOTHER 40 from the last war Russia decided to let me fight for it.

This is simply ridiculous. How difficult is it to say 'if you have >X debt, stop everything you're doing, and pay off that debt'? This would easily be better than what's going on in the game right now - maybe not perfect, but at least makes alliances worth something.

• 27Like
  • 5Haha
Reactions:
The same thing happening to me as Pope allying Austria. I keep getting tons of trust for doing his job, while they didn't join my wars for almost the first 100 years of my alliance with them because they were in debt. But if I decided to refuse their call to arms, I lose prestige and diplo reputation, because they can refuse me but I can't refuse them.

EDIT: I have to say that this game was the quickest 50 to 100 trust with a country, in the 1500s I was 100 while also having tons of favors.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Yeah alliances are pretty much worthless except for reduced AE. They wont join your wars (offensive or defensive), stay in massive debt, spam even more coastal batteries and screw you over in any war they call you in to.

• 7Like
Reactions:
My PLC ally once had like 14k debt. I couldn't believe they weren't bankrupt

• 5Like
Reactions:
i can't remember the last time i liked having allies in any pds title.

this is just more of the same; they've always been a cursed nuisance who try to drag you into their wars when your troops are wildly out of position.

• 1Like
Reactions:

this is just more of the same; they've always been a cursed nuisance who try to drag you into their wars when your troops are wildly out of position.

allies mean less micro in war, and often they are really opponents and so you're scamming them out of any gains from wars you declare on your shared enemy

• 5Like
Reactions:
Allies are completely OP in CK2, you can call them in any war and attach them to your army to basically multiply your troops by 4-5. And they are pretty much mandatory in HOI4 too. :p

• 11Like
Reactions:
Biggest problem is that this basically makes the game unplayable and it probably won't be fixed if at all until the dreaded Paradox Summer Vacation is over.

Which unfortunately is par for the course with their latest releases.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Russia didn't want to join war against Austria, "Too much debt, and too far away" they said from their border in Ruthenia.

Called me against Oirat *facepalm*

• 23Haha
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Allied Russia, as Sweden.

Russia never joins (or even gets anywhere near joining) any of my wars because it has 5k debt. It ALWAYS has 5k debt. That's -190 reason, which is insurmountable by any +'s I have.

But it has zero issues declaring wars on its own to commonwealth the moment their truce timer is up.

I fight the whole war for him (70-80% warscore), and he gets all the provinces, and maybe gives me 1-2. Now, he got so many provinces he's going for provinces I clicked as 'vital importance'... 50 years ago. But I couldn't get them because allies in EU4 right now are abusive spouses who take everything they can possibly get and give nothing in return.

You're saying the ai is treating you how you want to use them?

Jokes aside this is actually good gameplay, "Sorry I can't join you against the teutonic order - i'm in debt. BTW wanta help me mug the PLC?"
If you wanted you could do the same and take a few loans to avoid getting called in

• 4Like
  • 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Has any of the devs commented anywhere about whether they plan working on the ai? I haven't seen it anywhere in the forums or reddit so i'd assume they are not planning on fixing it. The ai has been broken for a while, unfortunately this is nothing new...

• 6Like
Reactions:
A entire vital mechanic being worthless is not good design
You're saying the ai is treating you how you want to use them?

Jokes aside this is actually good gameplay, "Sorry I can't join you against the teutonic order - i'm in debt. BTW wanta help me mug the PLC?"
If you wanted you could do the same and take a few loans to avoid getting called in
A entire vital mechanic being worthless is not good design and the only people who would say such a thing dont even play the game.

• 12Like
Reactions:
A entire vital mechanic being worthless is not good design

A entire vital mechanic being worthless is not good design and the only people who would say such a thing dont even play the game.

Ai ducat management issues aside (again) there is nothing to stop you sending them money to pay off their debt.

My point was; why is the ai calling you in? Where are your loans? Why do you have high manpower? Why are you not at war taking land? Why aren't you causing their truces instead of being called in?
Use your allies or get used. If you can't use them, drop them and find another. They aren't your friend. Ally the enemy of your enemy and not just the Russians. Ideally you should be calling in powers about your strength (to maximise favour generation) and using the massive otto-french-austrian etc blobs as a defence against coalitions or to crack a specific common enemy (promise them land and then don't give them it).

Reactions:
Ive already fixed the AI going into debt, the problem is that it makes significant changes to gameplay (which people may not like). It mainly forces the AI to spam manufactories/temples/workshops.

The main thing is that you need the AI to spam manufactories, because if they dont, there is a very high chance of the AI running into economy issues, but this prevents them from using the new manufactory alternatives, so i made them take up regular building slots instead and there are potential balancing issues there.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Allies are completely OP in CK2, you can call them in any war and attach them to your army to basically multiply your troops by 4-5.
It's been a while since I played CK2, to be fair.
And they are pretty much mandatory in HOI4 too. :p
Which is unfortunate, because your allies are a bunch of filthy teamkillers who do not understand the supply system.

• 9Haha
Reactions:
Ai ducat management issues aside (again) there is nothing to stop you sending them money to pay off their debt.

My point was; why is the ai calling you in? Where are your loans? Why do you have high manpower? Why are you not at war taking land? Why aren't you causing their truces instead of being called in?
Use your allies or get used. If you can't use them, drop them and find another. They aren't your friend. Ally the enemy of your enemy and not just the Russians. Ideally you should be calling in powers about your strength (to maximise favour generation) and using the massive otto-french-austrian etc blobs as a defence against coalitions or to crack a specific common enemy (promise them land and then don't give them it).
I really think you should read the OP of this thread cause every single one of your arguments ignores the fact that every AI goes into like 2k 3k debts before 1500. This makes essentialy every single major not usable for alliances since they neither defend for you nor attack and serve no purpose except taking up a diplomacy slot. Do you want asshole allies wich betray you? Play MP then but if I play a game I actually wanna be able to play small nations and without big allies this is impossible for most of them.

• 3Like
Reactions:
A common complaint about the 1.30 AI is that they'll use your money for something else and still not pay off the debt. So that's not reliable.

• 20Like
Reactions:
Here's a good example of the problem. A few years ago i checked and the Ottomans were not in debt, and since then they where not involved in a single war. Yet they somehow found themselves 1.7k in debt... Wth is the ai doing with their money?

Screenshot_2.png

Clearly this is not just a problem of the ai building to many shipyards and regimental camps and not enough workshops and manufactories. The ai is doing something stupid with their money while they are at peace.

They also have no manpower (again, they've been at peace for decades!). Where can you even spend your manpower when at peace?

Screenshot_3.png

Would be great if we could get a fix before the summer.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Clearly this is not just a problem of the ai building to many shipyards and regimental camps and not enough workshops and manufactories. The ai is doing something stupid with their money while they are at peace.

They also have no manpower (again, they've been at peace for decades!). Where can you even spend your manpower when at peace?
1) They build regiments, costing them money and manpower.
2) They lose money because they're hell-bent on drilling.
3) They disband some troops.
4) Now they make money again...
5) See 1)

Or at least that's what it looks like to me. Hope I'm wrong here :D

• 12Haha
  • 8Like
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.