• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks Sir Humphrey,

So, what do you think we should do about naval research. (you said earlier about researching BB's and BC's, anything else, like naval bombers?) And, we can still give france blueprints for naval doctrines, but I agree with not giving them naval tech, a waste of time.

What do you think a sufficient Naval Air Arm/CC Naval Bomber force would be. We already have 1 carrier in the area, and I think we should get a few more, plus 5-8 Naval bombers. But, we can and should use our capital ships to sink the RM, so we really don't need an extensive naval air arm. Japan, though, is another matter. We need more than just subs there, but don't have the capacity to build anything major outside of the home isles. Maybe some naval bombers in Hong Kong, when the japs declare war?

I will wait on building subs, but will build a serial run of 2 BB's and then 1 BC, instead of building them all at once. We also benifit from the tooling bonus (5% is alot for a BB). I'll start the BC when the inf div's start to finish.

I would advise against leaving the BB's and BC out of Home waters as its possible france could fall in the event of war and so need protection against any possible water born invasion.

Trouble with Japan is there airforce in china, it would be better to invest in Cruisers and Subs for Japan. To work in co-operation with each other. Also can I suggest that a number of transport flotillas either be bought or trasnfered to Singapore and a 1 or two divions at most be trasnerrf their incase Japan invaded Malaya or singapor. COuld be useful in helping the yanks as well or even invading the home islands.

I recommed that submarines be the primary weapon against the Japs, as there surface forces (BB's and Carriers) are succeptable to submarine attack. Also get naval access from the Yanks, so we can base stuff out of Guam, Hawaii or Midway.

Technology; Get everything ready for a war in 1939, so try and improve on the doctrines. Most of the ships would benifit gretaly from this. I would rather use the Naval Bombers against the Italian fleet flying from either Gibralta, Malta or Egypt, an since the italian air force is rubbish, that would be less of problem than Japan. Also I must ask the Army chief that if war does break out and the Italians join, East Afrca would have to be captured, as this could hinder the movement from the Suez.

Sorry for being late, gentlemen. As the Chief of Air Force, my primary responsibility would be to ensure air superiority in the Britian Isles and surrounding seas. Therefore, I recommand the research of better Interceptors. We already have 3 interceptors squadrons and our air defence capability would be vastly enhanced without the need to build new squadrons in a rush, thus saving our industrial capacilities for something more important--- Radar Stations (RS).

As fundings and resources available for Air Force rearmements are limited, effecient use for our available asset is vital to the defence of our airspace. We already have the necessary technology on hand and the building cost for one RS is very low, so it should not be difficult to build a rudimentary but functional RS network within a year. I proposed a three phase plan, phase one would be the Southern/ South-East coast of England, the second phase would involve the industrious midlands and the overseas strongholds such as Malta, Gilbralter, Singapore and Hong Kong. Finally, phase three would attempt to plug any holes in network coverage.

At the same time, small- scale AA guns production should also be proceeded to protect vital spots such as London, but RS building should have priority.

Secretary of State for the Air Ministry;

I disagree, most funding for aircraft should be placed with the consturction of Naval Bombers and Patrol Craft.

I beg to differ, my fellow Secretary. What's the use of naval bombers if enemy fighters have free reign over our beloved Isles and its territorial seas? Besides, the cost of research of better interceptors and building of radar stations is a fraction of what you proposed to build. All the RAF want in 1936 is one new Interceptor Group, 4 radar stations and 2 AA batteries, plus one research team.

Air Force 1936 proposal:
4 Radar Stations--- Norwich, Dover, Sheffield and plymouth
2 AA Batteries--- Dover and Norwich
1 Interceptor Group
One Research Team--- New Interceptor (Hurricane Mk. I)

Sir Cyril looked at the meeting infront of him. The bickering between the naval and air chief of staff reminded him of why he joined the army, much more civilised he thought. He shuffled his paper and prepared to answer the various questions from the assembled group:

Formula 51, as you will see in my original proposal I intended the Mid East to get 3 Inf Divs eventually. I understand that Wavell could use the third quickly due to some problems with the locals, I've got no problem with it being transferred from the Home Isles.

India is not of great concern at the moment. 12 Inf Divs is adequate at the moment. If The Wookie wants to become Commander in India then I'll agree to that as long as he understands that I will be allocating him his units and I don't expect him to go over my helmet.... um head to request anything direct from the government. :D How he wishes to order SE Asia command is up to him. In time I'll endevour to provide him with a proper headquarters but that will be some time later.

Also, I point Sir Humphrey to my request for an increase in the defences of Singapore. It should have two garrison units there as soon as possible (the third from Ceylon can be disbanded). These will be replaced in time by two Infantry Divs as they are brought up to strength. At this time we will be sending no more East. Sorry gentlemen but that is a firm decision of the Army Chiefs of Staff. That means that Hong Kong will not receive reinforcements. Please remember that if the need arises then Commonwealth forces will be available to support our SE Asia Command and the Royal Navy is more than capable of shifting additional troops.

Obviously we will continue to monitor the situation but at the moment the increase in troops in the Home Isles and the Middle East takes precedence.

There was also a question about East Africa. I'm sorry I don't remember who asked but the answer is that war with Italy will see the immediate reduction of their East African Empire. Indeed, we have plans available for that eventuality. I'll redirect all to our request for mobility in our troops. Their movement in Africa, both East and North is of primary interest to us.

Mr Prime Minister I'd also like to say that Sir Montgomery-Massingberd asked me to remind you that the Armoured divisions not be forgotten. We are quite happy to have their implementation delayed, but we remind you that the speed we are intending to set for our troops requires them at some stage.

Other than that, we ask that Artillery and Armour be placed in line for research when it becomes available.

Thank you gentlemen.

[An Empire run by two Canucks and an Aussie thank you very much!] ;) :D

Last edited:
Sir Cyril, I am sorry to inform you that I plan to merge the Far East Command to with the Indian Command, and putting the new unit in Rangoon to fascilitate efficient contorl and contentration of force. The absence of air cover would not be remedied until new interceptors become available.

It is the Minister's most frevent belief that air control over the home isles must be maintained. To that end I must argee with the Commander of the RAF that aircraft production, must for now be committed to increasing our fighter cover for now. I do argee however that Naval bombers will be useful but for now we should wait to build as they are big investment in IC.

To that end when the Infantry production ends, we begin a production run of four radar stations in serial for savings.

For the navy I propose we concerate on smaller classes for now such as DDs and CLs to provide screening capabiltiy for our bigger ships.

As for tech I propse the following:

Improved Light Cruisers
Early Interceptor Fighters to give us more air defensive protection
Improved Machine Tools to increase our IC
Improved CVs, so that we if need build good carriers, and the Upgraded CAG

I would like to request as either a Army officer in France or the Med or as Naval officer anywhere anytime. Not to high please (I want to be the young dashing officer ;))

The man in the high chair, at the head of the table, stood, and begun:

"These are all good suggestions, gentlemen. But, England doesn't have the power to accomplish them all, so, I propose a list, being handed out to you now, about some of the ministers suggestions, and if they have my approval. This list, however, is quite flexible."

*shuffles as the cabinet ministers all take out their reading glasses and begin*

Army

1) Construction of 5 infantry divisions (5 for home isles, 1 for Middle East Command), and 11 Engineer brigades, partly for those 5 Divisions, plus, 2 in the Middle East, and 4 in the home isles. *APPROVED*

2) Motorized Infantry Research, with Enfield Arsenal. *APPROVED*

3) Sir Montgomery-Massingbird steps down as Chief of Army, in favour of Sir Cyril Deverell. *APPROVED*

4) Production of Armoured formations. *DENIED* (we do not have the resources at this time, and we should wait until we get better tank technology, the machines we are able to produce now are very bad)

5) Research on Tanks and Artillery. *APPROVED* (but will wait until some other researchs are finished)

6) Appointment of Sir Wookie to command of Far East Command. *APPROVED*

Naval

1) Construction of 7 Tribal-class Destroyers *APPROVED*

2) Research on new battlecruiser and battleship designs. *DENIED* (I would think that the King George V battleships and Hood-class battlecruisers would be sufficient enough, but a good reason could change my mind)

3) Serial Run for submarines in the Far East. *APPROVED* (but scheduled after the destroyers are finished)

4) Research of new designs of Naval Bombers *APPROVED*

5) Production of Naval Bombers *DENIED* (we do not need them right now, our surface fleet is more than sufficient, and we don't have the resources)

6) Production of 2 Battleships, and 1 Battlecruiser (to be posted in the home waters) *APPROVED*

7) Appointment of Lord H.J. Tulp (who is a dashingly young 26 ;) ) to commander of Naval Task Force Mediterranean. *APPROVED*

8) Research into Carriers, and light cruisers. *APPROVED*

Airforce

1) Building of radar stations in and around Britain (as outlined by Sir Asimov, earlier on) *APPROVED*

2) Research into the Hawker Hurricane MK.I *APPROVED*

3) AA gun production. *DENIED* (with radar, our fighters can match and suppress any threat, and they are deployable to any place we need)

4) Interceptor production *DENIED* (we should wait until the Hawker Hurricane is ready for production.)

Industrial

1) Research into Machine tools *APPROVED*

We also need some industrial expansion to keep our economy growing.

If there's any suggestions I may have missed, tell me.

Sir Cyril waited for the PM to finish before he began:

Mr Prime Minister, I think that covers everything we have at the moment. I'll ensure that Asimov is informed of any further suggestions I have. I've had my adjutant prepare the following based on what has been decided here for everyone's ease of use.

OOB 1 January 1936.

Home Isles
Bristol
1 Army HQ
6 Infantry (6 Eng)

Ulster - Ulster Garrison
2 Garrison

Mediteranean Command
Gibraltar
2 Garrison

Malta
2 Garrison

Middle East Command
Jerusalem
3 Inf (3 Eng)

Port Sudan
3 Militia

Mombasa
6 Militia

Far East Command [The Wookie]
India
12 Inf (2 Eng)

Singapore
2 Inf (2 Eng)
2 Garrison

East Asia Command
Hong Kong
1 Garrison

------------------
Now gentlemen, I point out that several units and brigades are still forming but this is the overall situation as we wish it at the moment. I believe Asimov may wish for a greater concentration in Singapore, I'm not sure where he wishes to take the unit from but if he would like to let everyone know then I will edit this to comply.

I'd also like to ensure that the Wookie is happy with his posting. Obviously we want our best Generals where the action is, I think you'll all agree that India is a perfect breeding ground for future commanders.

Last edited:
1 Jan 1936
To The Wookie

Orders for SE Asia Area Command.

The Wookie, you are ordered to report to Delhi and take command of all forces within the SE Asian Command area. This shall extend from Pakistan through India to our Singapore naval base and possessions in the Indonesian archapaelego.

Your primary mission is to assist the Viceroy of India and the other civilian administrations in the maintenance of order throughout His Majesty's Empire.

Secondly, you are tasked with ensuring your forces are capable of defensive action in the theatre in case of war or other emergency.

It is expected that if war is declared then additional forces will be provided to allow offensive operations. This should be the message provided to our Dominions in your discussions with their officials however it is noted that if war occurs in Europe as well as Asia or the Pacific we would expect you to hold India and Singapore with your current forces.

To this end, nothing is to be expended trying to assist our Dominions. Obviously, this fact should be hidden from them to avoid their undue worry.

To assist in your duties the Naval commander has informed me that the Far East Fleet will include transports to allow your units ease of movement. Please liase with the local commander on how many will be available and establish good relations for their use.

Further, it would seem that air protection will be minimal in your theatre for some years. It is expected that you will examine possible air base locations in your command and make recommendations to me as to where these should be built so that once aircraft are delivered the bases are prepared.

Also, it is expected you will make yourself aware of the economic value of your command. It is expected that any defence plan would be geared to save as many resources for the empire as possible.

You are also instructed to suggest improvment to units or doctrines if you see fit but remember that such requests shall be through your Chief of Army.

Signed
Sir Cyril Deverell

Admiral of the fleets and Secretary of State for the Admiralty;

Without control of the sea, Britannia cannot rule the waves, however it was wise to see that the laying down of new keels was approved. From the Navy's point of view, the commonwealth will best serve us if their ships and aeroplanes are equal to ours, so I propose that we share out technology with the commonwealth to improve their stature.

Why must we increase the size of the army at the expense of the navy and airforce, as these arms can protect the home isles and empire without an enemy soldier ever setting foot on our sacred soil. We must divert divisions from India to Hong Kong and Singapore is we are to maintain their usage effectively during war, however I think that the construction of fortifications in these area would be effective.

Can I also suggest that to better use our commonwealth military assets, we assume military command of their forces, so as to better acqauint them to our method of command and for their operational uses. Naval Bombers are essential in the Med, as the Italian Air Force's fighters have short range, and would make excellent use of our positions, from Gibralta, Malta and Egypt. They would also provide limited capacity as ground bombers should the war break out.

Those are my recomendations,

Last edited:
OOC: Sir Humphrey, you do mean the Secretary of State for the SEA Ministry, right? ;) I also just noticed Ernie Chatfield's name is spelt Ernle.

Sir Chatfield, these are good points, I shall add the sharing of technological knowledge to our Commonwealth allies as a priority. Also, I will try to aquire naval bomber designs from the Australians, as they seem to have advanced farther in that field. About the naval bombers themselves, they will be a future project, I have decided, as they will wait until we aquire the australian designs, and build our own prototype. We shall most likely begin production once the destroyer production is finished.

Sir Deverell, the OOB for our land forces has been brung to my attention, and I shall make sure that the transfer of units to the required areas is completed quickly. I expect the Naval and Air Chiefs to bring forward their OOB's (side note: if you really don't want to do this, I'll do it) as well. Shouldn't the infantry division in Ceylon go to Singapore, instead of the garrison? (note: it also has an engineer brigade.) A cable from the Naval Ministry states that there are 2 transport flotillas in the indian ocean area, for the army's use.

Sir Boyd, I did not mention this, but your request of merging the 2 far east squadrons will be granted.

Last edited:
Admiral of the fleets and Secretary of State for the Admiralty;

Now for another matter, the threat posed by the KM. Now if the KM does try to break for the Atlantic, for they will not face us in open battle the cowards, then it is likely the will have strong air cover from the Lufftwaffe and KM Air Support, making the use of Coastal Command and Fleet Air Arm assets dangerous. That is why I recommended that the majority of the Battleships and Battle Cruisers maintained in home waters.

Air Force OOB, 1936

Home Isles
Liverpool:
1st Fighter Wing- 1 Int F Group
1st Tactical Wing- 1 Tac Group

Norwich:
RAF Strategic Bomber Command- 3 Str Group

Portsmouth:
2nd Fighter Wing- 1 Int F Group
3st Fighter Wing- 1 Int F Group
2nd Tactical Wing- 1 Tac Group

Middle East
Tel Aviv:
Middle East Air Command- 1 Tac Group

Far East
Rangoon:
Far East Air Command- 2 Tac Group

OOC - Thank you for the OOB, it will greatly assist our planning powers. By the way, whenever we decide to update the OOB, I eventually will cut and paste the OOB into the first post of this thread, so we can have it for easy reference. Whenever we finish production on something, tell me, and I'll add it.

Sir Asimov, what sectors of aircraft research do you propose sending Supermarine Aviation Corp. onto?

EDIT: If Verto1 doesn't participate, I'll PM kaempfer because we need a chief of staff.

Last edited:
Keep the production as planned.