• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Strager

General
10 Badges
Jan 9, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris Sign-up
Hard to tell from the trailer - is that all in-game or cinematics? How does this compare to say Homeworld or other space-based RTS's. Is it more like Starcraft with limited maps, or more like Sins of a Solar Empire where you are on a giant map covering the whole galaxy.

Yeah, the trailer didn't say much, actually.
I'm waiting for an actuall gameplay video to make assumptions about the game, because I have no idea how it will work.

Hard to tell from the trailer - is that all in-game or cinematics? How does this compare to say Homeworld or other space-based RTS's. Is it more like Starcraft with limited maps, or more like Sins of a Solar Empire where you are on a giant map covering the whole galaxy.

The trailer was captured entirely in-game, during actual missions/levels (but with the GUI hidden of course) so you are seeing the actual graphics quality on display without any shenanigans. There are some pre-rendered cinematics in the game, but those play while mission levels are loading and relate some of the story.

The game maps are entirely 3d (as in X-Y-Z axis, not just a 2d plane) and each level is "self contained" around a theme but split into multiple "sectors" with wormholes and warpgates that take you between them. Sometimes these gates are heavily guarded, sometimes not and sometimes YOU have to stop enemies from using them. Mission objectives (both primary and secondary) take place across several sectors, so you might have one group scouting ahead and another defending another. One rather unique thing is that many levels are FULL of stuff... space is no longer just big and empty. A couple levels even take place with you flying around inside mega-structures or asteroids...

The trailer was captured entirely in-game, during actual missions/levels (but with the GUI hidden of course) so you are seeing the actual graphics quality on display without any shenanigans. There are some pre-rendered cinematics in the game, but those play while mission levels are loading and relate some of the story.

The game maps are entirely 3d (as in X-Y-Z axis, not just a 2d plane) and each level is "self contained" around a theme but split into multiple "sectors" with wormholes and warpgates that take you between them. Sometimes these gates are heavily guarded, sometimes not and sometimes YOU have to stop enemies from using them. Mission objectives (both primary and secondary) take place across several sectors, so you might have one group scouting ahead and another defending another. One rather unique thing is that many levels are FULL of stuff... space is no longer just big and empty. A couple levels even take place with you flying around inside mega-structures or asteroids...

Man oh man this sounds awesome.

Will the devs be joining us here on the forum? Or do they have a forum of their own?

jizz-in-my-pants-jewish-300x222.jpg

Ohgawd, this will be great :laugh:

When are we going to see some gameplay footage? Like a mission that you described?
Or, when are we getting any new info about the game?

Mission objectives (both primary and secondary) take place across several sectors, so you might have one group scouting ahead and another defending another. One rather unique thing is that many levels are FULL of stuff... space is no longer just big and empty. A couple levels even take place with you flying around inside mega-structures or asteroids...

That's interesting it reminds me a bit of the kind of multitasking you had in AI War. Is there some base building or not at all ?

Ohgawd, this will be great :laugh:

When are we going to see some gameplay footage? Like a mission that you described?
Or, when are we getting any new info about the game?

Soon... soon! ;) I'm the Producer on the game though, so if you have any specific questions I will try to answer as many as I can when my schedule permits.

That's interesting it reminds me a bit of the kind of multitasking you had in AI War. Is there some base building or not at all ?

There isn't base-building in the Starcraft-sense, really. Your "base" is the Ulysses II, which is your command ship and handles all unit production. It can be upgraded between missions (so can other ships, but the Ulysses II has its own upgrade system). During missions you capture and fortify strategic areas but these are more combat and defense-oriented.

Soon... soon! ;) I'm the Producer on the game though, so if you have any specific questions I will try to answer as many as I can when my schedule permits.

I have a very important question. Nay, an essential question!

When will you take my money?

There isn't base-building in the Starcraft-sense, really. Your "base" is the Ulysses II, which is your command ship and handles all unit production. It can be upgraded between missions (so can other ships, but the Ulysses II has its own upgrade system). During missions you capture and fortify strategic areas but these are more combat and defense-oriented.

Damn, sounds great! Sounds a bit reminiscent of Nexus: The Jupiter Incident when it comes to how progress is handles, which is a very good thing. Just avoid the fiddlyness of Jupiter and I'm quite the happy camper :)