First death of an Elite Mechwarrior - traumatizing

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In so many ways that is BATTLETECH taking a direct lift of the BattleTech Experience. It happened often enough back in the the late 1980’s on our table tops that it was then and forever part of the Franchise.

There are times that weaponless 50 tonners and above are more of a Danger after they lose their weapons. Quite often I keep high enough Evasion Chevrons and of Bulwark that a Griffin’s PPC and LRMs and the Griffin’s propensity to overheat tank it fairly low in the Target Priority List. But I too have lost Mechs to Melee. So when that Griffin’s Right Torso get’s removed and all I’ve left the AI is that Griffin’s Melee Attacks, well I redirect just about all the firepower needed to put that Mech down as soon as possible.

So when that Griffin’s Right Torso get’s removed and all I’ve left the AI is that Griffin’s Melee Attacks, well I redirect just about all the firepower needed to put that Mech down as soon as possible.

Sweet mother of sod yes!

There's little in Battletech I find more terrifying than a strong melee 'mech in melee range.

I make it a priority to take enemy A/C20s off of the battlefield. Demolishers get priority a long with any mech location with that autocannon or it's ammo.
It depends on the playstyle. In my case, if I'm playing something like a melee lance or several mechs with SL/MGs then yes, things like AC20s and SRM carriers are a priority. But if I play with a highly mobile longer range lance then I can ignore them for the most part and the absolute priority become faster mechs together with Sensor Lock mechs, and PPCs after that. In this case AC20s and SRMs are no more than an afterthought for when I've killed everything else.

And anyway, if you're worried about those Demos, make sure to have a 70 tube +2 dmg LRM boat with a couple TTS+++, that will bring you peace of mind, with one potential Demo killed per turn, when you need it and no matter facing and cover.

@Kharille, just like @stjobe, I’ve got north of 700-hours and have never had a corrupted save.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh well, 200 hours and I'm doing my 3rd playthrough. Trying to get along with the Taurians. Medium mechs are a pain to work with and I hate that mission where you blow up ammunition dumps. Finally managed that after 3 attempts and one of my centurions is missing an arm and shoulder and we managed to save 3 piles of ammo. Not sure what happens in ironman and I don't think you can withdraw from that mission.

Maybe I'll get around to an ironman game later... its awful going underweight. I still remember my first attempt and I had a Marauder on this mission, and I think I got the max ammo dump payoff....

I like playing Ironman more in Career mode than Campaign mode. I could see doing either though.

I once ran a Medium Mech only run of the Campaign. It was fun, and not too bad. This was a while ago though and the game has seen various balancing patches since then. I may try again one day though.

I like playing Ironman more in Career mode than Campaign mode. I could see doing either though.
I've never played Campaign in Ironman, and haven't played Campaign at all since Career Mode came along. To me, Career Mode fits my view of the 3025 BT universe much better than the Campaign.

Of course, I had hopes HBS would have gotten around to giving us a Leopard to start out in, and some Onions Unions and Overloads Overlords to progress to before moving on to other things, but such is life.

I once ran a Medium Mech only run of the Campaign. It was fun, and not too bad. This was a while ago though and the game has seen various balancing patches since then. I may try again one day though.
I sometimes get the urge to do another lights-only run, but I fight that idea back right where it belongs ;)

I'm currently on an "Ancestral 'Mechs" run, where every MechWarrior is stuck with the 'Mech they have - no switching unless it's shot out from under them. To offset that rule, and not have to play the whole campaign with the same old Vindis, Cents, and Commandos, I also edited the starting lance to some 'Mechs I seldom see; The lance is comprised of a Rifleman RFL-3N, a Hatchetman HCT-3X, an Assassin ASN-101, and an UM-R90 Urbie.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: