First approach in modeling a building - further information much appreciated.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Oejsen

Sergeant
11 Badges
Feb 1, 2015
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Prison Architect
Hey,

This is my first approach for a possible custom building (hardware store) for Cities Skylines.
I'm using Blender to model and Wings3D to texturize. Well, it's not a beauty but I take it as practice.

I have never made any assets for a game, so I wonder if you experienced modding people have some advice to tips for me... :)

For example: How do I define the 4x4 area in the model?
Well, it might be a little early to ask things like that.

practice1.jpg

practice2.jpg

To define the area:

- Go to "Scene" properties panel (Right panel with many icon tabs, third tab). Change units to "Metric"
- In 3D View, open "Properties" panel (hotkey N)
- In "Display" section: change "Lines" to 4 (this define a 4x4 grid area), "Scale" to 8 (this mean each tile measures 8 meters), subdivisions as you wish (8 for each 1m for example)

To define the area:

- Go to "Scene" properties panel (Right panel with many icon tabs, third tab). Change units to "Metric"
- In 3D View, open "Properties" panel (hotkey N)
- In "Display" section: change "Lines" to 4 (this define a 4x4 grid area), "Scale" to 8 (this mean each tile measures 8 meters), subdivisions as you wish (8 for each 1m for example)

Well, thank you a lot! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Important to keep in mind that games nowadays also heavily use LOD (Level of Detail). In short, when you are viewing a model close up in the game, the engine shows a high detailed model/textures. When you are viewing the model in the distance, it will use a low detailed model/textures, this is to save on performance and also to give greater artistic control over how a model looks at varying distances.

I'm not sure how exactly Cities: Skylines will handle LOD, but it will be good to keep this in mind when creating models. How you vision the model in high detail (close distance) and in low detail (far distance) and somewhere in between.

Hey,

This is my first approach for a possible custom building (hardware store) for Cities Skylines.
I'm using Blender to model and Wings3D to texturize. Well, it's not a beauty but I take it as practice.

I have never made any assets for a game, so I wonder if you experienced modding people have some advice to tips for me... :)

For example: How do I define the 4x4 area in the model?
Well, it might be a little early to ask things like that.

practice1.jpg

practice2.jpg

I think that your model is beautiful. My concern is when it is next to all the other models in game how will it look. You clearly put a lot of effort into detail and realism, I want to know how it will blend with other creations and the default buildings.

I think that your model is beautiful. My concern is when it is next to all the other models in game how will it look. You clearly put a lot of effort into detail and realism, I want to know how it will blend with other creations and the default buildings.

I totally agree. This model with the kind of worn texture won't fit very well into the actual look of the game.