• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

kingofeurope

First Lieutenant
54 Badges
Mar 22, 2012
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
Hello again.
Im kingofeurope (not really) and once again I am beginning to write an AAR. My previous one, which was also the first. was successful as a "tryout" AAR, but completely failed one in terms of an actual AAR. Due to different things and eventually losing the savegame I did not get past 3 chapters for that. The link for that AAR is still in my signature, should you be interested.
Nevertheless, my love for EU3 hasnt died, and I´ve decided that it is time for me to write a more proper AAR, even if I might not finish it (reach the end date of the game).
The previous AAR was done almost a year and a half ago, and ofcourse during this time between I have improved my skill in english and also, more importantly the confidence in foreign languages.

As you might have already read from the Title, the AAR will be a Florentine one, its one of my favourite areas in the world, having visited it twice.

I hope you will have a enjoyable read and feel free to give feedback and comments about the AAR and the events about the game.

Modification used: HRE 7.0 (thank you Sudertum)
no cheating etc.

AAR specifics: I´ll try to make one chapter cover 10 years in-game or so, can vary depending on conflicts. (A war taking one full chapter for example)
No specific role-play, except the connection with the title, in this case, supremacy in Europe
Something which I would really like to do(as a future reference) is to make the monarch of Medici dynasty, but we will see how it goes, I wont make that my goal in any way.

Once again, Enjoy whatever I come up with in the future :)

Last edited:
568px-Flag_of_Florence.svg.png

Chapter 1-1
The New Era of Europe
Iacopo Conventini arrives back to the Palazzo della Signoria in Florence(from now on Firenze), coming from the Holy Roman Empire meeting in Metz. Before his arrival, news spread of the new, Golden Bull, laws that were implemented there. Seven electors of the Holy Roman Empire, with Karl IV of Bohemia being the Emperor. The electors will choose another emperor under the majority system, when Karl and his succeeding Emperors die.
People in Firenze, althought not directly connected with the Imperial system, being a republic of nobles, greeted these news rather happily. New order brings new opportunities, and the long-time feud with the Pisan republic was once again raised up.

Shortly after Iacopo arrived to his office, his political advisors entered the room and started demanding a declaration of war on the pisans. All the former diplomatic relations within the HRE were diminished with the bull, meaning that Pisa, but also Firenze had no allies.

"Signore, it is the perfect time to strike our foes, the pisans. We must declare war and claim the land as our own"
"I know what I must do," responds Iacopo, "But I have been elected the Signore of Firenze, and I say that we must prepare for the war before declaring one. Send diplomats out to Naples, Venice and Milan. alliances with them can guarantee us safety from the Pope"
"Marshal, perform a small army reform, we need more men. I will leave it to your hands to recruit us 3000 soldiers."
"Would Signore like 1000 as horsemen"
"No, we will need infantry. finding horses will be too costly for our economy."
Iacopo turns to the wealth advisor, sometimes called the Treasurer of Firenze.
"Treasurer, find out whether it is more favourable to send our merchants to Genoa or Venice. Wealth in these new times are more valuable than the land you own. We also need the wine of Firenze to go further than our own Tuscany. Come back to me when you know the answer."
Now turning to a messenger: "I would also like to have a local scientist help Firenze. Please tell the town officials to put a notice of hiring a scientist in front of the Palazzo(referring the Palazzo della Signoria) Also notify the University della Firenze about this notice.
A gesture with his left hand, and the advisors and the messenger leave the room to do what they were ordered.
Now, left in the room alone he thinks ahead, looking at the map of Italia, the provinces of Firenze and Arezzo, homeland of the Tuscan people. Once he conquers Pisa, he would have access to the sea. Maybe he could build himself a flagship, named after him. Yes, that would be a grand sight. The first Warship of Firenze, named Signore Iacopo Conventini.
He likes the idea of conquering Pisa, he despises the Pisan prince Gian, he isn´t a very good leader anyway, but his military knowledge can cause problems. This reminds Iacopo:
"An army must have a general. It will have to be me, I cannot pay gold to a man to command the army of Firenze... Or should I say Tuscany. Yes! If I conquer Pisa, I will not need much to declare the land Tuscany. I must unite the Tuscan people under one true, Florentine flag."
He looks at the borders of Tuscany. Firenze, Pisa, Arezzo and then Siena. Iacopo knows that in order to unite Tuscany, he must own Siena, and that will be a struggle.
He continues to study the map of Italy, sometimes also taking a look at the European map. He walks from time to time, to the window to look at the Piazza (town square), notices the messenger putting up the notice of hiring a intellectual and then walking towards the Palace stables, to ride to the University.

While Iacopo is in his office, the marshal orders 3000 reserve soldiers from within the city and the countryside to mobilize into the active army of Firenze. with the 3000 additional troops, the Army would grow to be a 7000-man army. One of its largest in the area, only defeated in numbers by the Pope. The marshal also announces a small army reform, providing slightly more men to the reserves, and also allowing Firenze to have a bigger active army.

Later on the day, a local economy student from the university, Carlo Vasari, hears about the notice about hiring a intellectual to the palazzo, walks there and after talking to Iacopo himself, is hired to be an assistant to the Treasurer of Firenze.

The diplomats began their journeys to Milan, Venice and Napoli, all carrying an offer to ally with the Florentine Republic.

In the evening, Iacopo called for another diplomat.
"Tomorrow you will go to Pisa, and give them the demand to surrender under our rule. If they refuse, We will respond with a declaration of war. We cannot wait, as everyone will be looking for strong allies in the region. We can only hope that Gian will not seek friendship with the Pope."

Last edited:
Chapter 1-2

The next day, 11th of January. at around midday, Iacopo was called to the secondary gate of Firenze, the road going from that gate went towards Pisa. When Iacopo arrived, some men were dragging a man off the horse. The man´s tongue was cut out and he was stabbed into the chest, he was dead. Iacopo recognized the diplomat he had talked with last evening. He and all the others in the gate square knew what this meant. War was imminent. But Iacopo had to wait, for he did not have full power in Firenze, he needed to propose the declaration of war to the senate of Firenze. It is known that the senate discussions may go on for months. But it was the only option if Iacopo wanted to declare war legitimately.

The following day, the diplomats arrived back from Milan, Venice and Napoli, all bringing good news. the three countries had agreed to ally with Firenze.

On the second of February, the Senate agreed with the declaration of war against Pisa. But Iacopo had another issue. With the time ti took the senate to decide, Pisa had allied themselves with the Pope and his state (called the Papal State), just as Iacopo ha feared. He thought about the matter, and eventually decided that he would still declare war on Pisa, and hope for his allies, especially naples to help him out against the Pope. Thus, on the third of February Iacopo declared war on Pisa, from the balcony of Palazzo della Signoria, as it had been done when Firenze declared war on Arezzo and victoriously conquered it after 2 years. Now, it was his time to show what a magnificent prince he was.
With the declaration of war, Iacopo also sent messengers to call for aid the Florentine allies.

On the same day with the declaration of war, Pisa had however made another alliance, with Genoa. It was a surprise to Iacopo, but he wasnt affected a lot with it. Afterall, Genoan republic was fairly far away from the Tuscan area.

A few days after the declaration, the allies of Firenze and Pisa were dragged into the war. the Florentine ally Venice however refused to join the war on the side of Firenze, and Iacopo called off the alliance. Iacopo hoped that Milan and Naples will deal with Genoa and the papal states respectively and that he can focus on the Pisan conquest. Prince Gian, the "Illegitimate ruler of Pisa" as Iacopo said about him in his speech, had asked the Pope to be the leader of the war against Firenze, of which the Pope agreed to.

During the first week, bad news arrived once again. The papal vassal, Urbino was forced to join the Pope´s side, and also an ally of the Pope, the King of Verona, as much as you could call him a king, was called to the war against Iacopo. The advisors came to him, saying that Urbino must be conquered aswell. Iacopo´s only response was that it would have to wait as he had other issues in his mind.

Iacopo ordered his army of 4000men to march towards Pisa, where reportedly 3000 pisan soldiers were garrisoned. A battle broke out near the plains of Pisa. At the same time, the Milanese army had marched to Genoa, and in the south the King of Napoli sent his army to Rome. During that time, the urbinese army had started to lay siege on Arezzo, which alarmed iacopo, and he promised the poeple of Firenze and Arezzo to deal with it as soon as possible.

Then, Success. Iacopos forces broke through the pisan lines and forced them to retreat, His army followed the enemies, who were retrating to the Florentine plains. Meanwhile , a messenger brough in reports of the total destruction of the Papal army in viterbo, and that the Genoan army was defeated near Genova, the capital of Genoa. A day after these victories, a diplomat came into the army camp of Iacopo. He was a montferratian diplomat who brought an offer of alliance from the montferratian ruler. Iacopo didnt hesitate long to accept the offer, and Firenze had another ally, although Montferrat had very little influence in anywhere.
MZRHdNi.jpg

A week later Iacopo managed to kill and imprison all of the pisan soldiers, leaving Pisa completely defenseless. But before Iacopo could lay siege to conquer Pisa, he needed to deal with Urbino, who was still laying siege to Arezzo. As the urbinese only had 1000 soldiers, Iacopo had no trouble of taking care of them, and very shortly after the victory in Arezzo, he marched towards Pisa, once again. During that time, the marshal had managed to recruit the first 1000 men, who immediately joined Iacopo, and the 5000-man army arrived Pisa. The siege began in late March. The war had only lasted 2 months, and everything was in favour of Iacopo. The only army the enemy alliance had was the 4000 soldiers of Verona, who were located in the Milanese plains, far from Firenze.

While things were fairly calm, minor skirmishes in the papal and genoan lands and a Naval battle between the Genoan fleet and the Fleet from Napoli. Hungary, being the Papal controller, declared a Crusade against the Pagan Lithuanians.

The war started to make big issues for the Florentine economy however, but the war subsidies from Naples helped relieve the situation.

In june, a comet was sighted, which made the people fear for the future of Firenze, but Iacopo hasted to Firenze to calm the florentines down, minor damages still remained from the event, damages that needed a few months to fix.

While sitting in his siege camp, Iacopo was looking at the war maps. Suddenly he thought of vassalising Verona and possibly taking Romagna for Firenze, The province in Romagna also had the University of Bologna, the oldest university in the world.
"If Firenze would become the center of European Culture, it would bring so much glory to our small nation" Iacopo told his advisors, who were amazed by Iacopos warplans. He continued:
"Vassalising Verona would also weaken Milan, and I fear that we must fight Milan sometime in the future. it might not be me who will fight it, but it will be Firenze."

A month later reports came in that the King of Veroan had succeeded to conquer and occupy brescia, a milanese province bordering Verona. Iacopo knew that this meant a delay in conquering verona, adn thus he ordered his men to assault the Pisan city, the walls had already been breached before, but despite killing off many of the defenders, the assault didnt succeed fully, and Iacopo still had to wait. The second assault, a few weeks later, succeeded and Firenze occupied Pisa.
mTmauYP.jpg

Iacopo immediately sent diplomats demanding the annexation of Pisa under Florentine rule. There was no resistance, and some of the people were even happy to go under a Florentine rule. Afterall pisans are tuscans just like florentines are.

Iacopo started marching his army to Romagna as soon as the annexation was complete. During the march, he also sent a diplomat to the King of Modena to ask for permission for his armies to be given a passage through the lands of Modena. They did not refuse, possibly taking this as a guarantee that Iacopo and Firenze wont attack them. After that Iacopo issued a decree, which stated that Pisa will always be a part of Firenze, and although in the beginning there were some unhappy people, Pisa was no longer recognized as a sovereign area.

Meanwhile, the Milanese army had occupied the capital of Genoa, which gave Iacopo an opportunity to negotiate with the Genoans. A separate peace with the Genoans was signed, weakening the genoese, by releasing the Island of Corsica to be independent, but also stopping any diplomatic relations with Siena and provence. Siena was especially important for Iacopo, as the province of Siena was the only barrier infront of creating a unified Tuscany.
0JydyFG.jpg

Iacopo was near Bologna, laying siege to the city. you could see the university complex from the hill. Soon, it will be Florentine, thought Iacopo. He was impatient to capture the city, and ordered several assaults against the walls, they weren´t successful and many men were lost.

Meanwhile, after the peace with Genoa, Milan was free to deal with the Veroan king and started a counteroffensive against them. With the Milanese king having around 13000 men and Verona only having 4000, it didnt take very long for Galeazzo II to win against the Veroan army, and he started to retake Brescia. Iacopo was pleased with that, because as the leader of the war, he had the right to vassalize any nation occupied by his allies.
"It would give me the chance to focus even more on the papal lands"

However, something which Iacopo didn´t like, the king of Naples, after defeating the papal army, started sieging almost all of the papal lands and eventually occupied them aswell, leaving Iacopo no room to make further conquests. Still it did give Iacopo better position in the negotiations with the pope.

But then, Naples signed a separate peace with the Pope, taking Ancone for themselves, and also freeing Urbino from being a vassal of the Pope. Iacopo immediately split his army in half and sent one half to Urbino to siege that, hoping to annex it once its occupied. And then, very soon after the peace. Papal state called in Mantua as an ally to aid him against Iacopo.
ibA4u2a.jpg

Iacopo was scared at first, but after thinking about it he said to his advisor:
"This war will be the most successful war Firenze has ever seen. With the help of Milan I shall vassalize Verona and Mantua, I have already conquered Pisa and I shall conquer Romagna and Urbino aswell."
If earlier the advisors would have been shocked and in disbelief of such grand plans, then now, after all the successes, they completely agreed with Iacopo´s plans. The war had now lasted 2 and a half years and it would take a few more years to conquer the lands. but the prizes would be huge.

Very soon though the peace of naples brought in concerns, the papal lands were free and the Pope started to recruit a new army which entered Arezzo.

In november of 1357, Milan occupied the Veroan capital. and iacopo demanded a vassalisation. The king of Verona didnt resist and took an oath to Iacopo.

The political situation of Europe, January 1358
ZDRcadF.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 1-3
In January, Iacopo ordered his armies to leave 1000men to continue sieging Bologna and Urbino and with 5000men marched to Arezzo, as the papal army was making progress in the siege there. The papal army received reinforcement throughout the battle and were positioned on a hill, which made the battle very hard for Iacopo, but in the end, the papal army withdrew to their own lands, relieving Arezzo for the time being. The pope had however, 10 divisions, against Florentine five and Iacopo marched back to Bologna, to continue sieging.

Next week, Milan had occupied Mantua, and as Iacopo did with Verona, he demanded a vassalisation of mantua, to which there was no resistance. The Mantuan King was defeated. In april, Bologna surrendered and Iacopo marched to Urbino. He wanted to end the war quickly. The last battle with the papal army was a close one and he did not want to have another big battle against a bigger army of the Pope. Milan could not reach the papal lands as Galeazzo had apparently not asked for a military access through Modena. Iacopo was alone in this conquest.
wQVd4sE.jpg

The next month, the papal army entered Tuscany once again. Reports said that their army was around 13000 soldiers, They did not lay siege to a tuscan province though, and instead went to Bologna to retake it. Iacopo knew that he had to hurry up and conquer Urbino, and then make peace with the Pope, hopefully in a good position to make demands. In June a big peasent rebellion started near Bologna and the papal army was forced to fight against them. There were over 10000 peasants, very good news for Iacopo.

After another month , Urbino surrendered and Iacopo immediately sent a diplomat to demand an annexation of Urbino. He then sent a diplomat to the Pope for negotiations. After a Few days a peace with the pope was signed. The Pope was to hand over the city of Bologna and th surrounding lands with it.
"A Grand Victory for the Tuscan people" said Iacopo back on the balcony in Firenze.
XMie1hM.jpg

j5UBXxL.jpg

Iacopo also sent a diplomat to arrange a royal marriage with the Corsicans, who were very friendly with Iacopo, after helping them become independent.

A month after the peace with the Pope, a messenger from Napoli came to speak with Iacopo.
"Signore, the Queen of Napoli Giovanna, requests your aid in a war against the Mamluks"

He sent the messenger away with a positive response. Iacopo did not want another war, but the African nations was not his area of interest and he decided to be part of the war only nominally, not actually taking part in any activities.
"We have no means of getting to Africa anyway. We have no fleet"
JR257wP.jpg

Ah yes, the fleet. Iacopo remembered how he planned on building his flagship after his victory. That idea was thought a year ago. Now it is time to fulfill it. He ordered a shipyard in Pisa to build a Galley. It would be called Signore Iacopo Conventini.

During that month Iacopo also defeated the peasant rebellion that the papal army had left behind, and finally his army could rest. A time of restoring had begun for the Florentine country. The reputation was very bad. Iacopo had no real right to conquer Urbino and Bologna, and the vassalisation caused concerns among the nearby rulers. But Firenze was now the greatest it had ever been. The people of Firenze were happy with the outcome of the war and even though life was hard right after the war, had very little complaints.

To aid with the restoration of the country, Iacopo issued the Liquor act, which would help the economy of Firenze.

Now that Iacopo was back in his office, the treasurer came to speak with him.
"Signore, after looking at reports and papers, It would be wise to send our merchants to Venice and Genoa equally. This would guarantee us an income even if we go to war with one of them, should that happen"
"Thank you treasurer, you are free to go now"

Indeed, Iacopo agreed with the advisor and told the merchants that they are free to choose to which center of trade they would go. After that he hired a new diplomat, that would help soften the relations with the neighbouring countries and would ease the situation with the Florentine reputation, or as it was called all around the world, Infamy. Alliances were officially formed with the new vassals. And the marshal was ordered to recruit new soldiers for the army. The new territories required a bigger defense. Firenze was to have an army of 12000 men, 3000 of which were to be horsemen and knights.

In January an message from pope arrived. The Pope was angry at our idleness, presumably regarding our inactivity against the muslims. Iacopo knew that it was only an excuse to get revenge on him and did not care about the message.
vZCe6Vx.jpg

At the end of January, Iacopo´s flagship was launched to the sea, and was stationed in Pisa. Iacopo went to see his beautiful Galley, with florentine flags flying on it.

A few months later, Iacopo sent a diplomat to the mamluks, offering a white peace. Iacopo did not want to be in that war and had nothing to gain from it, but he had remained friends with Naples, a very valuable ally against the Pope.

As the economy was still regaining, Iacopo decreased the pay for the army, saying that the army isn´t being used right now and shouldn't be paid as much.

In february of 1360, Sad news spread across the Florentine country. Iacopo Conventini, hero of the new Florentine republic had died. The senate elected Salvestro Grimaldi as the new Prince of Firenze. The people cheered for Salvestro and hoped that he would bring glory to Firenze just as Iacopo did.
RU1KTKj.jpg

f319qdc.jpg

Iacopo´s last voyage was done on Iacopo´s flagship. sailing from Firenze to the port of Pisa, and he was buried in the cemetery of Pisa, the city of victory for Iacopo.

Q6q0Cn3.jpg

The political situation of Europe, February 1360
Hg4zOWh.jpg

Chapter 2-1
The Legacy of Iacopo
Salvestro Grimaldi is sitting on the same seat as Iacopo did only 4 years ago, when the plan to attack and conquer Pisa was made. Now , Pisa is in the hands of Firenze, and with it the city of Bologna and Urbino. Iacopo more than doubled the Florentine territory within these 4 years, and Salvestro wants to make a great gift in Iacopo´s memory. He has orderd two of the local textile workers to craft a new Florentine flag, designed by an artist from Pisa. But remembering Iacopo´s deeds is not the only reason for this. he knows that the conquering of Urbino and Bologna were done without a legal reason, casus belli as they say, and the people living there are quite angry and even rebellious towards the Signore of Firenze. Salvestro ordered all the newly conquered areas flags to be put on the flag to show that they are under the Florentine rule, but that they do not play a small role in the republic. Today, the Flag will arrive at Palazzo della Signoria and will be shown to the people of Firenze, in the following days, all the other major cities and towns will receive the new flag to be hoisted in their town squares, just like in Firenze.

The Flag of Republic of Firenze, under the rule of Salvestro Grimaldi, 1360 AD
UhOeBks.png

Last edited:
Chapter 2-2
Salvestro made no significant changes within the republic. Firenze, as a republic was in the same state as it was during the end of Iacopo´s time, the reputation within Europe was being dealt with, and Salvestro administrated the every day thing, taxes, production and also making sure that the Republic was improving in the fields of technology, of which Salvestro was really interested in. His idea was that with technological advantage over others,Firenze would become even greater. He searched for any possibilities to improve the florentine technology and for that he hired a Statesman, that would help find improvements in the statecraft of the Republic. With the cooperation of the three universities now in the republic, improvements in the government and statecraft started to arrive.

However, besides the new flag of the republic and the statesman, the first year for Salvestro was uneventful, The whole area was at peace, with the exception of some neighbouring countries were fighting in Northern Africa against the Hafsids.

A year after Salvestro was elected, Venice invited Firenze to their Trade League, and after consulting with the treasurer, he accepted the invite and all the cities started to export their goods to Venice.

In march of 1361, Hungary inherited Croatia, who had been under their Personal Union. Although making Hungary even stronger, it did not worry Salvestro, who was still doing the every-day business, occasionally holding larger dinners for the families of the Republic, visiting Pisa, and giving out small orders to messengers and governors. But other than that, everything was calm within the Republic. The economy was growing steadily, but not at an big rate.

In November however, a messenger from Modena came. Modena was bordering most of the northern border of Firenze. The messenger carried with him an invite to a celebration dinner.
"To the honourable Signore della Firenze, we invite you to a dinner, celebrating the victory of our King Aldobrandino III over the Hafsids."

Apparently a war in Africa that Salvestro didnt consider anything of importance had led to Modena conquering an area in there. Politely, Salvestro accepted the invite and travelled to Modena next week.

In december that year, a large rebellion had risen up in Bologna. Reports said that they claimed themselves to be part of the Ferraran country and fought for the king. The King of Ferrara said nothing about the matter. Salvestro defeated the rebels in the battle, and they were finally killed or imprisoned in February of 1362. Meanwhile more news had arrived from the Hafsid land: The King of Arborea had conqured two coastal areas for his kingdom and now ruled over them. Salvestro was amazed at the Italian success in Africa.
"First Modena and now Arborea. The italian people are made for glory and victory" thought Salvestro by himself.

The Hafsid Territory| pink=Arborea(Sardinian), light yellow-Modena, darker yellow-ziyyanids
8srGLE7.png

"But the African people are of Sunni faith, a form of Islamic faith itself, they will be hard to control, especially when overseas. The catholicism doesnt like other faiths, for the Pope, there is only one true God, one true Faith."
And then Salvestro realized: Firenze must not be like that. In ourcountry, people should have the freedom to believe in anyhting they want and they should be free to do what they want. But Salvestro knew, If his ideas were to be public right now, he would be despised by almost everyone, the aristocrats, the pope and the kings of Europe. He couldn´t change his republic to a tolerant country to all within a week, not even a year. It would take decades before such a country can exist. Nevertheless, Salvestro drafted a document, and he called it the "Charta Equalita Firenze". He would let know of the Charta only to his 2 most loyal advisors who weren´t allowed to say a word about it, and hid it inside his office. Only the rulers of Firenze were allowed to see it. The charta said that the rulers of Firenze must with all possibilities create a country where everyone was allowed to believe and do whatever they wanted to. Catholics, Muslims and Orthodox people should all have equal right to everything. In the Charta, the Pope was considered a trouble-maker for Europe and the Pope´s power was considered none.
Salvestro had the opportunity to denounce the Pope´s power in the republic, but it would have brought a lot of trouble with the neighbours and the pope, that he decided not to do it at the time. Timing must be good to do that, said Salvestro to himself.

In Summer, another revolt in Bologna occured. His army lost near Bologna, and the army had to replenish before they could attack the rebels again. He also ordered another 1000 men to be recruited, to help deal with the rebels. In winter he could attack again, this time he was victorious. Due to the increasing rebellions, a second big rebellino in 2 years, he kept the army in Bologna now, instead of Firenze, hoping that it would discourage the rebellious minds.

Overall though, Salvestro´s reign had so far been a very quiet one. Due to wealth problems, merchants were not sent to Genoa, and the merchants sent to venice were rarely successful.

5 years had passed since Salvestro was elected the prince. He decided to celebrate his reign, although an very uneventful and without any glory. He ordered a Galley to be built, just like his predecessor Iacopo. And just like Iacopo, he named it after himself. The ship would be ready in six months.
He also issued a law which lessened the power of serfdom in the republic, as part of his plan of the Charta he drafted. He could only do it with small steps, in orer to not anger other rulers and the pope.

In the summer of 1366, A messenger, who were really rare to see in the last years, arrived from Milan. Salvestro was asked to aid Milan against Alencon in a war. Salvestro agreed, although much like Iacopo did, he had no interest in fighting in the war.

In February 1367, Firenze was struck once again by sad news. Again in February, their Prince had died. Salvestro Grimaldi was sent on his last voyage on his ship " Signore Salvestro Grimaldi" just like Iacopo was, and this time, Iacopo´s ship accompanied Salvestro. This time the ships did not sail to Pisa however, they stopped near Firenze and Salvestro was buried to a chapel graveyard. The chapel was loacted on a hill overwatching the surrounding fields and you could see the village in which Salvestro was born and where he had grown up, eventually to become a Prince of Firenze.

Salvestro left behind a calm and a stable republic, even though nominally being in a war.

0LbTx9D.png

a1zvXOx.png

The Senate elected Signore Cosimo Tempesta as the new Prince and the new prince was greeted with joy and most of the people wished him well, secretly hoping that Cosimo would do things that Salvestro couldn´t and that he could be hailed as a hero just like Iacopo was.

After the ceremonial speech in Firenze, Cosimo sat down behind the desk of the Signore. He picked up a paper and read: " Charta Equalita Firenze "

KMnSFtc.png

Chapter 3-1
The Future of Firenze
Cosimo looked at the charta, It was rather well organised, but you could clearly see that it was not finished, almost half of the paper was empty. Salvestro had planned to finish the charta for future rulers in his last year of term, but he did not have that time. We do not know what Salvestro had in mind to add to the charta, and ofcourse we will never get to know it.
The more Cosimo read the paper, the more he started to think and agree with what Salvestro had planned. He started following the instructions of the Charta and thoguht of how to make sure that all his successors would follow the charta aswell. As soon as a deep catholic or pro-pope prince would be elected, the Charta would be in danger and with it, the ideas that come with it. Cosimo hid the paper in his office, adn he went on to do his duties as a ruler, still thinking about the charta and how to fulfill the ideas of it.

The Charta Equalita Firenze, as written by Prince of Firenze Salvestro Grimaldi

Charta Equalita Firenze

This Charta is made for all of the people of Firenze and for the subjects of Firenze.
The rulers of Firenze must agree with and follow the ideas written in this charta, so that the people of Firenze, no matter what culture, religion and status, would be free to do whatever they wish, aslong as it does not harm our country.

The rulers of Firenze must make sure that the following ideas will be implemented and maintained in the lands owned by Firenze and its subjects.

* All religions are allowed
* All cultures are allowed
* The pope must not have any governmental power within the borders of Firenze
* All people must be free to do whatever they want
* The rulers of Firenze must not be selfish, and should only do what benefits Firenze and all of its people

Signed
Salvestro Grimaldi

Such was the charta that Salvestro had written, signed at the bottom by him, and Cosimo would sign it after Salvestro´s name aswell

Chapter 3-2

One of the first orders Cosimo gave out was to sign a white peace with Alencon. The peace was accepted very soon as Alencon had bigger problems than Firenze. Thus, the Republic was at peace again.
yp7DnXI.png

Cosimo also started a charities system for the poor in Firenze and Pisa, which were meant to keep the populace happier.
h9jNIt1.png

In summer Cosimo noticed an issue with the wealth of the republic. The expenses for merchants, especially aidint them to go to Venice were greatly exceeding the income from the merchants. It turned out that the merchants had a very rough time setting up business and almost all failed in the beginning and only very few lastd for about 6 months, but that was it. Cosimo decided that no funding will be given to any merchant for the time being to go to any of the trading centers.

But other than that, the first year of Cosimo´s term was very uneventful, just like his precessor´s.

Honouring the tradition, in 1368, Cosimo initiated a building of the third Galliot of the Republic. And as tradition, the galley was named Signore Cosimo Tempesta

In Science and technology, improvements started to arrive aswell, New techniques were implemented to production for example as well as better accounting for merchants. However any progress and advancements from the old started to worry some of the people and they demanded a shut on of a small office where a few scientists were known to work. Cosimo had nothing o do but to agree with the demands, even though it meant that the technological advances were lost.

The years 1368 and 1369 were very peaceful times for Firenze, as well as the first half of 1370. Cosimo had now gone through half of his term, and had achieved nothing of interest. Even though he knew that there was nothing he could do, it made him sad. 4 years ago he was eager to follow Iacopo´s footsteps, but the hopes never realised.

In the summer of 1370, a navy officer and one of his army generals came to him with dispute. They had started arguing about whether the republic should focus on the navy or the army. Of course they came to speak with Cosimo, who would give them the final answer.
" Our republic has barely got any navy, admiral. My choice is clear, we should focus more on the army."

This decision also shut the mouths of some of the senate who for years ahd demanded that a proper fleet would be built. However, now the Senate requested that Cosimo would deal with the papal relations which were rather hostile. No doubt, the initial request had come from the more catholic members, joined by those who found the Pope too strong for Firenze to deal with. Cosimo had no intention to make better relations with the pope though, and he let the senate annoy him with the requests.

Technically, The Senate had no power within the way the Republic was going. All the Senate could do was request the Signores to do something and they also were responsible for the ceremonial coronation of the Princes. Iacopo was kind enough to ask for Senate´s approval for declaring war on Pisa, more than 10 years ago. However, it was written in the laws that the City of Firenze must always have a senate that would aid the ruler of the city in all matters. Naturally, as could be seen at the rule of Cosimo, their power had diminished over time.

The next 12 months were just as quiet as the previous years, though. Only reports of the Austro-Hungarian war came in, reporting a major Austrian success against the Hungarians. After the wars ended with Austria claiming some land from the hungarian king, things went on the same peaceful way.

In spring of 1374, an emissary from Shetland arrived. They asked Cosimo for financial aid to help Shetland out of bankruptcy. After hearing how much money was requested, Cosimo immediately sent the emissary away with empty hands. They requested almost double the amount of what was in the coffins of Firenze.

A few months later, reports came of a rising unhappiness in Pisa. Liberals started demanding more liberal attitude from Firenze and were angry at the conservativeness and narrowminded status of the Senate and even the Prince. Cosimo as surprised that some people thought him to be conservative, but he seized the opportunity. He met with the liberalistic leaders in Pisa and after hearing them out, issued some law changes which made the pisan group much happier. Of course, the catholic side did not approve of the changes but they had no influence over the decision.
xz8OJva.png

The incident moved Firenze closer to the ideas written in the Charta, that still kept coming to Cosimo´s mind. He had found very little progress towards making the ideas real, the last incident being the biggest step for it. Cosimo´s term was coming to an end. There could be a chance of being re-elected, but Cosimo saw the chance very small.

Meanwhile, even during the war with Austria, croatian people started rebelling against the Hungarian king. after the end of the war Hungary was even weaker and the Austrian conquest split Hungary in half, leaving the Croatian lands separated from the Hungarian capital. This gave more strength to the croatians and about a Year after the end of the war, the King of Hungary agreed with the demands of the croatians, and Dimitrije Zvonimir II was crowned the king of Croatia.

In february, Cosimo´s term ended and as traitional, a public vote was done between Cosimo and 3 other candidates. One of the Signore candidates was Cosimo´s brother Leopoldo, and quite surprisingly to Cosimo, his brother Leopoldo Tempesta was elected the new prince of Firenze. Even though Cosimo had no power anymore, the rulership of Firenze stayed within the tempesta family. Cosimo was pleased as he knew Leopoldo would follow the same ideas that Cosimo would, especially with the ideas of the Charta. On his last day at office, Cosimo signed his name at the bottom of the Charta, and handed it over to Leopoldo who had just arrived to the office from the coronation.
UfIC8FP.png

5yo2GWE.png

Sorry for the large screens so far. I will see and try my luck with editing the screenshots starting from the next chapter.
The last chapter(3-2) was reloaded one actually. I got a claim on Lucca but during declaration of war I did not call allies to aid... Would have been an interesting war as Modena was allied with Aragon who was allied with France.

Always nice to see a new eu3 aar, good luck! It looks like the first steps on the road to the unification of italy have been taken.