• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CJL78

Duca di Firenze
29 Badges
Oct 15, 2009
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Rise of Prussia
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Note: Much of this introduction is outdated and will be updated soon, but the overall idea/mission of the mod is still accurate

What the heck is this?
A general overhaul of HIP, primarily focused on revamping histories, provinces, de jure titles, title creation, and creating events and other features to overhaul the SWMH (and PB to some extent) module of HIP, for the purpose of increasing historicity and historically plausible gameplay.

Right now, only France, the HRE, and the Italian peninsula have been majorly overhauled, though I plan to expand the scope to Spain, Eastern Europe, Scandinavia, and possibly Britain in the near future.

Also, it should be noted that the mod is designed to be played from a 1066 start and all effort has been put into that start, though other start dates may be perfectly playable.

So if it's much more than Florence, why is it called "the Firenze SubMod"?
My very first real mod was a submod for the Magna Mundi Ultimate mod of EU3. It originally entailed adding Florence and some Tuscan flavor and a few other features, but quickly became a general overhaul and the Magna Mundi team unofficially endorsed it as they had quit developing the mod to work on their commercial venture. Despite my attempt to name it "SubUltimate", fans of my submod continued to call it "the Firenze submod" so it stuck. Seeing as I add the Duchy of Florence as a creatable title in this submod, I figure: why not call it "Firenze version CK2.0"?

Alright, so what do you got to show me? (Note: some of these screenshots are currently outdated)
First of all, de jure titles and provinces throughout the currently developed areas have been redesigned.

Modified PB's Remove Ahistorical Empires Decision, which is highly recommended. You can become Tsar of all the Russias, but you actually have to become.... Tsar... of all.... the Russias....

Kingdoms have been reworked a bit. Particularly in the HRE. The Emperor will hold the title King of Germany, as well as Burgundy and Italy unless the latter two are usurped from the Empire. There is a special little event chain that transfers these titles to the next Emperor, and it works very smoothly. At the same time, care has been made to ensure that Burgundian and Italian nobles will still seek independence, not create lots of annoying claimant factions to those respective titles, and that the HRE will not conquer the capitals of Pisa and Genoa by county claim.
Note: Lotharingia is still formable, as are some other titles that have been removed from de jure SWMH, and in future versions an event will make it de jure when it is created.

Speaking of kingdoms, de jure drift has also been shaken up, so that only a duchy that borders a de jure kingdom will de jure drift. So, for example, Italy will begin assimilating Spoleto under the HRE, not Germany. It will take 200 years of rule for the far south of Languedoc to be de jure France, Normandy will never be a de jure duchy of England, republics won't de jure drift Sicily into their realm and Leon can't assimilate Navarre while leaving Castille in-between. De jure drift of kingdoms into empires now takes 200 years.

Meanwhile, the Papal States are a de jure entity, as the Pope has claimed these areas for centuries, and historically gained jurisdiction over them as a result. A planned future feature will be to make sure that an orthodox/ERE conquest of the Papal States will result in the SWMH de jure "Exarchate of Ravenna" gradually taking the Papal States' place.

Then there are duchies as well. Aside from reorganization, there are new requirements. Almost all duchies now require a creator/usurper to directly own at least 1 (usually the capital) province, and at least 51% of provinces, which annihilates usurper ping-pong. This also prevents kings and emperors from creating billions of anachronistic titles within the first decade and handing them out, and better represents vassals being elevated (by paying their liege for the privilege) rather than a king/emperor spending money to create himself a duke, giving him prestige, and immediately dishing out to whatever vassal he wants. "New" (as in not existing on or before 1066) duchies also require creators to be fairly prestigious. Currently under development are mechanisms for the stem duchies to dissolve under certain conditions into smaller duchies.

As you can see, some duchies have simple requirements...

...and others are a bit more sophisticated. But they have bigger rewards as well!

...and a few duchies are not to be created at all. These are more to represent regions that were never vassals of any particular duchy-type entity for a particular reason, such as the French royal domain in the Ile de France.

There are new and more accurate provinces in Germany/Netherlands and Florence.

There are new playable historical dynasties; these were all sitting in vanilla files, actually, just waiting to be placed in titles that didn't exist in vanilla.

Welf, who held a barony in Schwyz, is now playable as well. He had actually inherited the castle of Ebersburg in Bavaria from his uncle:

*One note here: The House of Wurttemburg has been made Counts of Wurttemburg in 1066 in order to make them playable, and also since there was no Count of Wurttemburg until Konrad arrived in 1083.

In addition to new duchies, there are also new titles; here is just one example, the Dauphine of Viennois. Others include Seigneur of Bourbon, Rector of Ancona, and Prince of Anhalt. New duchies include Anhalt, Westphalia(WIP), Florence, Siena, Romagna, and others.

Some other small features include:
Florence has a port (will be able to become Merchant Republic-WIP)
events that elevate the Savoy and Lombardia titular County and Margraviate to de jure Duchies after creation,
event that gives Paris to the king of France if the kingdom is usurped

WIP (Work in Progress) features include:
events that dissolve the stem duchies into smaller duchies under certain conditions
other "Dynamic" duchies that change de jure titles/lands similar to The Winter King mod
event that dissolves Matilda's realm and gives rise to city-states if she dies without an heir
Florence Merchant Republic
expanding duchy creation requirements to Iberia, Britain, N. and E. Europe, etc...

Required mods:
HIP with SWMH and PB+EMF installed

Highly Recommended:
All HIP modules
All DLC (except, of course, Sunset Invasion, though it is compatible)

Download:
Version 2.3 - for HIP update 2014-10-04

NOTE: there are still missing histories and localisations to be done; some one province counties, mostly in Swabia and Bavaria, are currently unplayable at start.

Credits:
Sol717 - Armenia+
Cormac91 - Historical Succession Laws Submod
This submod stands on the shoulders of giants: Aasmul and the SWMH team, Meneth, and all other Historical Immersion Project modders and contributors. It is obviously not possible without their work.

The SWMH team and other HIP modders are free to use any of my modifications in their official releases if they so desire.
The changes I have made to the SWMH map are not in any way meant to insult the way SWMH had designed it; only to make it more accurate according to my own interpretation.

Other modders may not use any files contained within without requesting my permission first; I will give it, but what you request may very well include the work of HIP modders and you will have to ask them as well in that case.

Last edited:
Changelog:

Version 2.3
Major:
  • Compatibility with 2014-10-04 HIP update, including expanding the take-all-infidel-titles-de jure wars to the new de jure duchy CB
  • Kievan Rus' overhaul(see here, though I didn't include all he suggested)
    -Veliky Knyaz (Grand Prince) of Kiev de jure title held by Kiev, all Rurik princes vassals
    -1066: Polotsk at war with Kiev for Grand Prince title
    -title creation/usurpation restrictions extended to all of Rus': duchies require corresponding city; kingdoms other than Kiev require not to be Grand Prince of Kiev (or some others); Tsardom(empire) of Rus' requires being Grand Prince of Kiev, Novgorod, and Vladimir (though the inability to create the latter two while being the first, etc., is intended. Tsardom of Rus' is only intended to be able to form if Kiev falls apart first)
    -Seniority succession in Kiev, gavelkind in all duchies
    -Some very minor title redistribution and de jure rework
  • Duchy of Apulia & Calabria king-tier title(for reasoning, see Bohemond I of Antioch and Roger I of Sicily)
    -replaces d_apulia and calabria; destroyed when become King of Sicily
    -Gavelkind instead of primogeniture succession so Apulia and Calabria stays united, other duchies inherited by other sons
    -Prince of Taranto re-added de jure
    -Count of Loritello is vassal at start (1066)
    -Robert Guiscard's brother Roger (Gerace & Messina) given claim on "County" of Sicily
  • Sultanate of Rum event chain overhaul(Ensures plausible border on takeover and no Greek/Orthodox vassals of Rum)
    -Only conquers de jure Ikonium minus Rhodes
    -takes all titles under Ikonium, not just vassalizes all the Greeks
    -Paphlagonia and Armeniacon moved to Ikonium for now so that they are conquered are by Rum, pending SWMH update or my own Anatolia overhaul
    -event reworked to ensure that count titles/vassals of a de jure Ikonium doux that aren't in de jure Ikonium stay with Byz
    -no longer destroys Trebizond
    -All non-de jure Byz vassals on mainland Asia will now declare independence, not just if they border Rum/Seljuks (i.e. Antioch or Edessa, etc.)
    -invasion of Nikaea and Retake the Coast events removed because they're no longer really needed with Imperial Reconquest and Holy War CB's restriction removal
Minor:
  • some Iberia Reconquista event localisations
  • minor bug fixes

Verson 2.2.1 bug fix
*de jure county/barony claim CBs fixed

Version 2.2
Major:
*Compatibility with 2014-09-19 HIP update
*De Jure Claim wars on infidels now take all titles like a holy war
*Iberian peninsula overhaul:
-overhaul/extension of PB's de jure expansion/reconquista events with plausible dynamic de jure expansion
-new de jure kingdoms (Toledo, Valencia, Principality of Catalunya, Mallorca, Murcia) existed as titular kingdoms in SWMH^
-Title creation/usurpation requirements extended to all of Iberia. Most duchies not formable by Christians (Iberian kingdoms didn't really have them, or even duke-level counts; however, the titular late-era duchies from SWMH like Gandia are still there); kingdoms not formable by Muslims (except al Andalus). al Andalus formable by Christians as Andalucia (represents the four kingdoms of Andalusia)
-what I'm calling the proto-kingdom-duchies (i.e. d_castilla, d_leon, d_aragon, d_navarra, d_galicia, d_porto) are now localised as Counties (historical) and are destroyed on elevation to the corresponding king title
Minor:
*All submod-added titles localised
*some central Italian province cultures updated to fit with previous map revamp
*Norman conquest of the Balkans CB "fixed" (imho) to usurp Dyrrachion as well as Epirus
*duplicate d_lausitz fixed
*submod will no longer "uncheck itself" in the launcher

Version 2.1.3
*Compatible with HIP update 2014-09-13 - EMF release!
*All empires other than HRE, ERE, Rus, Persian, Arabian, and Abyssinia removed per removal of PB No Ahistorical Empire decision due to vanilla bug

Version 2.1.2 bug fixes
*Armenia+ Kasog and Caucasian Avar cultures removed (for now)
-all Kasog/Avar characters and provinces, etc. incorporated into Alans (for now)
*Tuscany no longer republic in 867 start
-castle capital in Piombino in 867 start

Version 2.1.1 bug fix
*HRE king titles no longer destroyable (Succession law is gavelkind and not changeable; with succession event, the law doesn't matter anyway)

Version 2.1
Major:
*integrated Armenia+ submod (credit to Sol717)
-updated Armenia+ province positions
*integrated Historical Succession Laws submod, including titular Ireland (credit to Cormac91)
*Major overhaul of central Italy, from Piombino to Ancona to Napoli.
-Papal states no longer de jure, but Popes given the Patrimonium title
-New provinces - Piombino, Orbetello, Pitigliano, Rieti, Tuscania*, Anguillara*, Ceccano* - *historical characters forthcoming
-New (mostly fictional) characters in Abruzzi region
-Aversa subsumed into Capua, Napoli given more and accurate holdings
*HRE usurpation event for the Imperial kingdom titles of Germany, Italy, Burgundy
*Nuremburg duke-level Burggraf restored as per suggestion
*updated compatibility with latest HIP update (2014-08-30)
Minor:
*Thibaut given duke level C. of Champagne as well as Blois
*Chartres looking independent on menu screen fixed
*Slight overhaul of Aargau/Oberaargau to look better/more accurate and b_rheinfelden in Aargau
*history changes
-central Italy - more historical characters (Alberti) forthcoming
-Bresse - historical characters (de Bage) forthcoming
*various minor changes forgotten about over the last few weeks

Version 2.0
Major:
-Compatible with post-RoI HIP
-Easy Win Ahistorical Empires are now available. PB's Remove Ahistorical Empires decision is highly recommended and has been modified to no longer remove Rus, Arab Empire, and Abyssinia
-Colonna family now playable (changed Gregory of Tusculum from di Spoleto to founder of Colonna dynasty, fixed his age, and added his son and some further Colonna descendants)
-Hellas/Athens and Achaia now de jure vassals of Thessalonika
-Genoa and Pisa kingdoms are de jure as a temporary fix for county claim CB
-Toscana once again de jure, future update to include possibility of breakup into Firenze, Siena, Lucca
-history and vassal changes to Abruzzi region (north of Naples)
Minor:
-slight province border redraws in Swabia/Bavaria/Carinthia
-redid de jure titles from scratch, so some minor differences from previous version may exist

Version 1.0 (changes from initial/beta version)
-Fixed bug with ambitions
-Fixed everyone and their grandmas in empires joining Independence factions
-Fixed Amalfi/Sorrento histories to what I had intended - Amalfi independent, Sorrento vassal of Salerno
-Changed county of Amalfi to (county-level) duchy of Sorrento
-Re-added D. Taranto as de jure at start with Taranto and Lecce
-Fixed some localisation

Last edited:
Sweet, nice to see you back! :)

A question however: When SWMH updates to expand Central Asia, with a small Punjab, you are planning on updating it to include Central Asia, but not include the Punjab?

I'm asking as I would love to combine this with Arko's economic flavour mod, but as I understand it, he will only be designing it to work for the SWMH map.

Last edited:
I'm asking as I would love to combine this with Arko's economic flavour mod, but as I understand it, he will only be designing it to work for the SWMH map.

The only relation which ties the eco mod and the map is the base province map (lists of province IDs to assign some of the commercial modifiers). So if base province map from SWMH is used, it will be fine, if some province IDs are missing, i don't think it will affect the concerned events.

I can't wait to see how your improved province setup in Germany will compare to the improved province setup in the HRE that Ruwaard is working on at the moment.

The only relation which ties the eco mod and the map is the base province map (lists of province IDs to assign some of the commercial modifiers). So if base province map from SWMH is used, it will be fine, if some province IDs are missing, i don't think it will affect the concerned events.

Ah okay, good to know thanks Arko. :)

Seems like a great mod !
Very nice work.
Sweet, nice to see you back! :)

Thank you.
A question however: When SWMH updates to expand Central Asia, with a small Punjab, you are planning on updating it to include Central Asia, but not include the Punjab?

I think I could easily make it compatible. I have only changed a few base SWMH provinces, and added several IDs that SWMH may use for new provinces in the future.

I can't wait to see how your improved province setup in Germany will compare to the improved province setup in the HRE that Ruwaard is working on at the moment.

Tbh, I don't have much time for games and modding, and have only sporadically been following HIP over the past year. I didn't know Ruwaard was working on a new HRE. I mostly tried to take existing settlements in the files and rearrange them where they geographically should be and fix histories, and/or adjusted province borders, though I did add several settlements and made de jure changes, some pretty dramatic.

I'm about to post an update. I immediately noticed when I got back from vacation and fired up a game today a very bad bug.

Version 1.0 released. The beta wasn't very playable due to a major bug that affected selecting ambitions and made Independence factions go crazy in empires. I have tested this version today and everything appears to be WAD.

Changelog:
-Fixed bug with ambitions
-Fixed everyone and their grandmas in empires joining Independence factions
-Fixed Amalfi/Sorrento histories to what I had intended - Amalfi independent, Sorrento vassal of Salerno
-Changed county of Amalfi to (county-level) duchy of Sorrento
-Re-added D. Taranto as de jure at start with Taranto and Lecce
-Fixed some localisation

Download

Last edited:
Is this still only for 2.04 and PreROI HIP?

Well I was under the false impression that post 2.0.4 SWMH/HIP had already included India, but it seems that this is not the case. This may very well be compatible with latest version of HIP. Try loading it with regular HIP and let me know if it works fine; I won't be able to try it myself for a day or so.

Well, I tried this with the newest update when combined with the new HIP, and it would appear that... you lack any diplomacy options with anyone whatsoever outside of your kingdom. I was the Duke of Barcelona, and I couldn't even marry off my son to a different demense.

Last edited:
Well, I tried this with the newest update when combined with the new HIP, and it would appear that... you lack any diplomacy options with anyone whatsoever outside of your kingdom. I was the Duke of Barcelona, and I couldn't even marry off my son to a different demense.

Weird... I will have to look into this.

Well, I've spent all morning trying to update this to the latest version of HIP, but this is just... bizarre.

I noticed 3 major issues:
1. The absence of diplomacy options as you mention. But this baffles me because none of my files even affect diplomacy options in the first place.
2. Some flags are wrong (in Byz, S. Italy, Ireland mostly). Normally, this can be caused by an extra title or something in landed_titles, but this is bizarre because I used a text compare tool and fully updated all of my files to be compatible with the additions to HIP, so I'm stumped here.
3. Perhaps most weird of all is a random history - the Byz count of Kaliopolis also holds Monte Sant'Angelo in S. Italy (c_foggia). I did this history file myself for SWMH, and it doesn't look like they've edited it, and my submod does not include the file nor have I done anything with this Greek character. There should be absolutely no reason for this.

I'm totally stumped, so if anyone could offer a suggestion, or take a look at my files here, I would appreciate it.

I would hazard a guess that the diplomacy issue is related to the new distance restrictions on diplomatic options. As for the random history, you may want to check the Bug reports as I think PB dealt with it by putting the bookmarks in chronological order.

I would hazard a guess that the diplomacy issue is related to the new distance restrictions on diplomatic options. As for the random history, you may want to check the Bug reports as I think PB dealt with it by putting the bookmarks in chronological order.

Thanks for quick reply

and OMG I'm a moron... I completely forgot that I had fiddled with defines and that was where the new diplomacy stuff was added, of course. So that issue is fixed.

Bookmarks I haven't touched so that should not be causing the weird history. That one guy is the only weird history as far as I can tell, and EDIT: it looks like his cousin was a Byz Emperor, and held the county. But still doesn't explain why that dead guy is still holding the county instead of the guy defined in the history file.

Last edited:
This looks interesting. Especially some of the additional historical playable dynasties IMHO might be interesting for the main SWMH mod. Other features might be a bit harder to achieve unanimous decisions on or are just outside the scope. Any way keep up the good work.

Thanks for quick reply

and OMG I'm a moron... I completely forgot that I had fiddled with defines and that was where the new diplomacy stuff was added, of course. So that issue is fixed.

Bookmarks I haven't touched so that should not be causing the weird history. That one guy is the only weird history as far as I can tell, and EDIT: it looks like his cousin was a Byz Emperor, and held the county. But still doesn't explain why that dead guy is still holding the county instead of the guy defined in the history file.

That actually seems to be a bug in vanilla. There's a thread about it in the main CKII forum.