• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Professor Wilson is going to be confirmed in his feelings, if nothing else. I wonder how Elizabeth reacts to this blatant realpolitik imperialism? Is it possible for us to put in a request, because if so what I would really like to see some of / more of is how Elizabeth reacts to the world she is now in which, I imagine, is differnet from her old one in nearly every respect.

Rensslaer said:
...Key to the Russian plan was capture the Persian Gulf coast, which was rich in oil. Waldemar determined that it was critical for Germany to pre-empt this Russian operation..
most excellent! ! :cool:

yes, by all means, take out Russia's "warm water" ports! ! :D

Hey now...you best leave my Persians alone. ;)

But I suppose it is the right thing to do. One cannot allow the bear to growl too much.

Wow, I missed a lot. Conspiracies, danger, and now war and mayhem. :D

Great work, Rensslaer. Though it seems that young Waldemar is on a collision course for ANOTHER confrontation with Russia. However, there may not be enough time left in the game for that. ;)

Hey, I would just like to say (I saw someone ask for an elizabeth post) Please! Please dont! Shes an annoying character. And if I may be so bold, is very generic. I say you should focus more on Wally and more of the History like posts, until were a while in and are more use to her (she would be there once in a while) then we can backtrack and talk about how she adjusted!

EDIT: I see the Ottomon's have managed to take the majority of Arabia! Can you post another around the world sort of thing. But more of a historical thing as well. Ex: The ottomons were a major contender for Prussian dominace in the Persian golf region, because in 1894 they conquered the state of nedj, etc. Not everyone obviously just people that have expanded/lost alot of land that hasn't been completely coverd by the story. Or hasn't for a number of years. (China perhaps?) Sorry if this isn't completely coherent, Im busy on msn!

Last edited:
First war waged by Waldemar and I am sure many more to come. By 1900, oil should be a valuable commodity. Prussian-Persian war could be the first war fought over this but definitely not the last in the history of mankind :rofl:.

stnylan said:
Professor Wilson is going to be confirmed in his feelings, if nothing else. I wonder how Elizabeth reacts to this blatant realpolitik imperialism? Is it possible for us to put in a request, because if so what I would really like to see some of / more of is how Elizabeth reacts to the world she is now in which, I imagine, is differnet from her old one in nearly every respect.
Hmm... I had not intended to, but it would help keep her in the mix. I don't want to drop her as a character. Now that I've thought about it for a day (since you suggested it) I've got a couple ideas.

Elizabeth, by the way, is back at Princeton to finish her education. I know I said she was "living" in Potsdam, but I think that was too strong. Staying in Potsdam would be better. But now back in Princeton. Once she finishes, things can take off again.

Iron Skull, yes the Ottomans have been cleaning up the Arabian peninsula kind of like the Russians have been in central Asia. I didn't mention it as prominently because the Ottomans are one of the friendliest empires to Prussia, and so we don't look on it as threatening. Besides, we could wipe the floor with 'em! :D

More feedback later! As well as the promised stuff about Lech Walesa. Just not a lot of time to concentrate on any of this recently.

Rensslaer

I wonder - she can't be having a too easy time of it back there. Sure she will have friends, but there will be plenty of people full of bile and petty malice because of her intentions.

stnylan said:
I wonder - she can't be having a too easy time of it back there. Sure she will have friends, but there will be plenty of people full of bile and petty malice because of her intentions.
...and perhaps not just in Germany! ;)

Renss

It would prove to be quite interesting for we readAARs to read of Elizabeth's experiences back at Princeton, as well as quite informative to her as to how the "elite" of America view Prussia.

As for the realpolitik of the race for Persia, better Prussia than the Russian Bear, is all I've got to say, eh? :p

The question is, who do the Persians want to rule over them, the Russians or the Prussians, and do they even know the difference?

Uhm, I think history tells us that we can safely assume the answer to that question is a resounding, 'neither!' That said, their neighbors can probably tell them horror stories of life under the claw of the bear.

Vann

Indeed, Vann... The Persians are a proud people!

Well, I finally got some writing time last night (up to 2 am), but wasn't able to finish the update...

I am, however, incorporating your requests -- Stnylan and Draco -- regarding Elizabeth. We shall see soon some interesting things.

Thanks!

Rensslaer

Selected Excerpts from Captain of My Heart: A TransAtlantic Romance, by Camelia Gardner, Pub. 2003

Nov 1, 1903

Dear Wally,

To my Prince, Captain of my Heart, I miss you so. It has been so long, since the summer, when we last saw each other. I think of you every day, dream of you every night. Wish for your kisses, and sleep with your letters.

It sounds like you have settled in to being a wonderful Kaiser! I hope your people appreciate you. I know they must.

With All My Love,

Betsie

Nov 6, 1903

Dear Betsie,

Your letters are an ever-present comfort to me, as I still struggle with the Reichstag, and even my own ministers! I feel like a Montana bronco buster, like those your President Roosevelt told us about! I’m always riding high, but having to hold on tight to keep from being thrown in the dust.

Your Enduring Protector,

Wally

Nov 15, 1903

Oh, Wally! I heard in the news today that you are going to war again! Well, perhaps not you, but Germany. You won’t go to war yourself, will you? Yes, I suppose you will, won’t you! You’re too much a man to send someone to do something you wouldn’t do yourself. But I do hope you will take care of yourself, wherever you are! Don’t let anybody at home take advantage! And be safe. You will be in my prayers, every day, seven times a day – not just twice or thrice, like usual!

With Kisses for My Captain,

Betsie

Nov 16, 1903

My Dearest Prince,

Professor Bradford said today that Germany was just playing as bully, and that one of these days you were going to find someone bigger on the block who would put you down! I spoke out against him, of course, but… I have to admit, Wally, I don’t know exactly what to say. I got your telegram to say you’re okay, but I know you’re surely too busy to telephone. And I certainly don’t want to trouble you when you have so much on your mind. The newspapers here have mixed feelings, but I know none of them have your perspective on things. Some of what the newspapers say is much worse than old Bradford! And I was just getting used to not having Wilson’s snide comments to get my blood boiling!

Love and Prayers for My Captain,

Betsie

Nov 22, 1903

To My Axis, My Center, My Heart,

Dear Betsie, I am so sorry I haven’t had time to write. Things are calming down now that all the soldiers are ashore, but it was a rough time for a while.

I can now attest that I had absolutely no idea how much work it was to run a war! When I was out in the field, shivering on horseback or gathered around a campfire, I thought all those generals and ministers were having parties and dining out every night while we suffered. I have to admit, I saw my Father doing that a number of times during the Isthmus War. At least until Fritz died. But I’m told that I am a much more responsible commander than he. I don’t want to believe that, though I do try my very best.

Thank you for standing up for me. And for Germany. I really didn’t realize that you would face so much heat at Princeton, though I should have known, the way those professors are.

For one, I must say that, although we haven’t been in a shooting war with Russia since before you and I met, there has been a war of sorts… Call it a “cold war,” perhaps. I can’t tell you the number of times we found troops gathering on our border, and began to get concerned, and then found they were being sent someplace else. They did that intentionally, I think. Just to make us nervous, and to remind us they’re there. Nicholas should know I harbor no evil intentions toward him, but he taunts us nonetheless.

ss709.jpg

And then, where are all those soldiers going? In recent years, they have been going east and south – toward central Asia – where they have been taking over small countries and unorganized territories – Crimea, Khiva, Kokand, Bukhara, among others. When they attacked, and finally annexed Khiva earlier this year, I felt we had no choice but to conclude Russia’s aggression must be countered.

ss719.jpg

They have also been waging war with Persia, and we believe they mean to take all of Persia and make it a base from which to launch assaults or disruptions against our Persian Gulf oil wells. From a strategic standpoint, we cannot allow this. So we will create a buffer of German land in Persia to stand between the Russians and the oil wells.

Thank you for understanding these things, My Dear Betsie! I know many Americans do not look beyond their own borders, and when they do they can only sneer.

With Ultimate Love,

Your Prince Wally

Vann the Red said:
"My Axis"? "Call it a cold war"? You had me in stitches, Renss!

Vann
Well, the concept of a "cold war" is concievably available to someone of their age as much as one of ours... But I thought that might spark a giggle.

As for "My Axis" I actually did not catch that one myself... in geopolitical context anyway.

Sometimes I slip in things that would have seemed natural in their day and age -- ways of referring to things, and ways or phrasing -- that sound rather odd today. It's fun! As a student of the English language, I remain fascinated at how the language and words change in meaning over time.

Naturally, he is telling her she is the center of his world! So to speak. :D

Always glad to add a little levity! ;)

Rensslaer

Slip or no that made me chuckle a-plenty, not that it detracted at all from the correspondence in question. They are both clearly very much in love.

hmm, interesting exchange of letters. I think they will soon be running out of things to call eachother, I detected a certain tendency towards 'more thought up' namings, IE those that take longer to come up with, in the later part. ;)

But fun nonetheless :D

Poor Betsie, getting all the shell from her lecturer especially if she herself doesn't know how to defend Wally. How many more years does Betsie still have at Princeton? Berlin is nicer at this time of the year.