• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(115311)

4chan is so mature today
4 Badges
Sep 20, 2008
www.facebook.com
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
THE FINNISH GFX IMPROVEMENT PROJECT 1.2 BY STORM501

Untitled-1-7.jpg

Enjoy the new pics. They can be found in 'Extras' in the rar, straight ready to be unpacked to your HoI folder. I will give you a challenge and leave you to sort out who is who, since most of the pics have really improved quality from the old ones. But if someone still remains alien to you, don't hesitate to ask! ;)

Untitled-1-6.gif

This mod improves EVEN YET MORE the standard leaders and ministers in HoI2. Here are the leaders from the regular GFX packs & Vanilla compared to the ones on this mod. Now as a Christmas and a New Year's present to the Community, I have searched authentic and cool ww2 pics for the HoI cities. But even more importantly, I have collected close to perfect pics of the important men in ww2. Also the Great Men, who happen to have less quality pics, now have my specially made colour pics to bring them back to life in some really fantastic HoI games!

Current Version: 1.3 01/01/10

Download from:

Filefront - MIRROR 1

Just select the packs to extract into your game folder, can't be easier! :cool:

Untitled-2-9.gif

Let the (better) games begin! :cool:

All material/ideas/comments/critique are welcome!

I hereby grant free use of this material for all purposes!

EXTRAS!!!
(included in the rar)

Untitled-1-69.gif

Untitled-2-71.gif

Untitled-1-70.gif

A new loading screen, menu and scen selection screen included in the same pack! Partial credit to the GIP guys for their HoI logo and a part of the background. Hope you guys won't mind. ;)

Last edited:
At this time, it has been about 70 years since ww2 began. It began with Poland, yes. But also now during the closing dark winter months, it will soon be 70 years since the Winter War began!

According to the secret protocols of the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact and with a fake casus belli, 1 million Red Army soldiers marched over the border to conquer Finland within just a matter of weeks. The Soviet forces had four times as many soldiers as the Finns, 30 times as many aircraft and 218 times as many tanks.

However numbers didn't solve the entire war, although eventually in April 1940 Finland had to give in to the Soviet territorial demands (and these territories were never returned), but the war took a huge toll on the Soviets. The Soviet losses are estimated around 100,000 dead or missing 250,000 wounded, 5,486 captured, 3,543 tanks and 261–515 aircraft. Finnish losses were substantially smaller. "We barely won enough land to bury our dead." expressed one Soviet General.

So as my humble tribute to the Heroes of the Winter War, the ordinary Finnish farmers who rose to defend their country. Who held overwhelming masses of Red Army soldiers with limited ammo and obsolete weapons. But also myself and by this mod we also pay our respects to the Red Army soldiers who were forced to fight in a war they did not want to have any part in. Not to mention the Soviet soldiers who did some actualy heroic actions in the war. Hopefully these kind of wars won't ever happen again.

Also I got sick that nearly every other country had cool colourful minister & leader picks while Finland had only 1-3! :D ...So during two nights I searched the net for pics and improved them. I hereby grant everyone free usage to the files on this thread for all "good" purposes. This is only my humble contribution to the Paradox community and the modders who have made so many cool mods for me to enjoy as well. :)

But for now enjoy remember to give Finland a shot when you're playing HoI! :D ...Or at least respect the Finnish resistance when you are thinking about annexing Finland as the Soviets before that horrible German Stuka Barba. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks!

Version 1.2 finished and uploaded. Most of the common ministers and best military commanders have been coloured now (thanks to a revolutionary method I discovered! :D)

Also added a few of my loading & menu screens as extras. I might focus on other countries' ministers in the later versions.

Last edited:
Fake cassus belli? Didnt we find out in victoria that refusing demands is enough of a cassus belli :D?

Anyway great mod (Except the menu background- those black dots just dont fit in and in the scenario screen-personal opinion).

Fake cassus belli? Didnt we find out in victoria that refusing demands is enough of a cassus belli :D?
By fake casus belli, I am referring to the Shelling of Mainila. The Soviet artillery bombarded their own troops and then they blamed that Finland was responsible for the whole thing. The Finns were able to prove that the shots came from the Soviet side and any Finnish artillery was out of range to bombard the area.

But like the Soviets cared. They cut off all diplomatic relations and soon invaded. :D ...Sometime in the late 80s or 90s Yeltsin or someone finally admitted that the Soviets had shot at their own troops (suprise, suprise).

But alas Karelia and Petsamo remained in Soviet/Russian hands, due to the inactivity of the Finnish government when the Soviet Union collapsed. At one point the Finnish government didn't dare to anger the Soviets, so they didn't support the Baltics declaring independence or demand the territories. A joke says that Finns still had diplomatic relations with the Communists, even when Yeltsin had took over. But their decision can be defended that they actually calculated how much it would cost to buy Karelia and restore the infra and so on. Also since majority of the Karelian residents were Russians, they would have to find new homes and what would happen if they refused to leave their homes? Also there were plans to reacquire Petsamo in -95, but didn't happen for some reason...

Anyway great mod (Except the menu background- those black dots just dont fit in and in the scenario screen-personal opinion).
Those black dots are covering the swastikas, which I can't post on the forum. They aren't covered in the real pics in the rar.

Last edited:
In other news, working on other ministers for the great and smaller powers (with good success). Several ministers have been made, but I will still keep them in secret, until I have done enough. :cool:

But voila, here is the new Gamelin!
L24077.jpg

:rofl:

In other news, working on other ministers for the great and smaller powers (with good success). Several ministers have been made, but I will still keep them in secret, until I have done enough. :cool:

Please do Flanders and Wallonia!!!!

Please do Flanders and Wallonia!!!!
Dunno, how often do people actually liberate them? Well I think I could take care of the HoS and HoG guys, so at least they will look better surficially. ;)

Which Reenactment group do you belong to?
Lol, you're referring to the German armored car pic? Sorry, but that ain't me in the pic, although it would look pretty cool. ;)

But I can admit that for a few years I was really involved with our local airsoft group. We had huge games (even some reenactments) and depending on the situation, I either had some German -44 uniform (or at least a copy close to it) pr an US airborned uniform. With the badges and everything. Too bad my M14 and MP5 were a bit ahistorical in the games, but oh well. :D

Dunno, how often do people actually liberate them? Well I think I could take care of the HoS and HoG guys, so at least they will look better surficially. ;)

I always do - but for countries like Slovakia, Flanders and Wallonia the ministers are "unimportant", it is the military leaders that needs some colour...

Lol, you're referring to the German armored car pic? Sorry, but that ain't me in the pic, although it would look pretty cool. ;)

But I can admit that for a few years I was really involved with our local airsoft group. We had huge games (even some reenactments) and depending on the situation, I either had some German -44 uniform (or at least a copy close to it) pr an US airborned uniform. With the badges and everything. Too bad my M14 and MP5 were a bit ahistorical in the games, but oh well. :D

Flanders yes, Wallonia no.

I always do - but for countries like Slovakia, Flanders and Wallonia the ministers are "unimportant", it is the military leaders that needs some colour...
Well I think it is the HoG and HoS that are important, because all the players see them first when they happen to click at the countries. Leaders are only important if you are actually commanding the units or fighting against them.

It might be a bit difficult to find leaders for ahistorical countries. But I will look into the HoG and HoS tonight...

Any news?

Well the GIP already has a coloured hos/hog for Wallonia. However I tried to colour the black&white hoG/hoS of Flanders, but I was not satisfied with the result. The pic is a bloody nightmare to colour! :(

To be honest, I haven't really ever understood the motivation with all the trouble of impoving the TT pics. I mean you research maybe some 50 techs during the game, you will only see TT pics for some 30 secs during a really long game! :D

Poor minister & leader pics on the other hand will continue to haunt you everytime you look a country or wage war against them. And loading screens remind you everytime you start the game. :)

So I don't know if modding TT pics would really be worth the effort... ;)

...Sometime in the late 80s or 90s Yeltsin or someone finally admitted that the Soviets had shot at their own troops (suprise, suprise).

Actually, though Soviets surely were those who shot in the Mainila shelling, they didn't shot their own troops, but they shot to unoccupied area. They later claimed that several Soviet soldiers had died, but really no one died in that shelling. Actually it's not even sure if entire 'shelling' even happened, or if the Soviets just claimed so.

This, of course, doesn't change the fact that whole affair was faked reason for Winter War...

To be honest, I haven't really ever understood the motivation with all the trouble of impoving the TT pics. I mean you research maybe some 50 techs during the game, you will only see TT pics for some 30 secs during a really long game! :D

Poor minister & leader pics on the other hand will continue to haunt you everytime you look a country or wage war against them. And loading screens remind you everytime you start the game. :)

I have to refuse, in my opinion techteam pics are almost as important for atmosphere as leader or minister pics, the thing just is that you will see only your own tt-pics. But when it comes to actually tech-images, they are not important... But I like good tt-pics, for some reason.

Actually, though Soviets surely were those who shot in the Mainila shelling, they didn't shot their own troops, but they shot to unoccupied area. They later claimed that several Soviet soldiers had died, but really no one died in that shelling. Actually it's not even sure if entire 'shelling' even happened, or if the Soviets just claimed so.

This, of course, doesn't change the fact that whole affair was faked reason for Winter War...
Hmm yes, I might have confused the facts with the Soviet propaganda a bit. :D ...But the shelling did happen, there were several Finnish borderguards, who heard the shots and could point out in which direction the shots had been fired. At least I have understood so...

I have to refuse, in my opinion techteam pics are almost as important for atmosphere as leader or minister pics, the thing just is that you will see only your own tt-pics. But when it comes to actually tech-images, they are not important... But I like good tt-pics, for some reason.
You disagree... Well you have to admit that ingame people will see TT pics 50 times less than minister/leader pics on average. You have to take in account that you have to play the country to see TT pics or use espionage a lot...

So you could call them important and there is no harm in having good TT pics of course, but I wouldn't say they are as important as the minister/leader pics

I agree that the leaders pack is more important, but it would be great to have TT too anyway, especially if you are playing Suomi;)