• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Tom Morrison

Recruit
Aug 15, 2020
Finland's 1939 Winter War mobilization was unprecedented in its totality. In addition to its extensive reserves, Finland could count on a well-trained and well-organized private militia, the Civic Guards, as well as 100,000 women's auxiliaries from the Lotta Svard organization. Simply triggering the "Women Enter Workforce" random event does not do justice to the Lotta Svard organization, as these women were trained to provide combat service support (logistics, nurses, civil defense, even an anti-aircraft unit), freeing male soldiers for front-line service.

I wrote the following code to reflect Finland's mobilization, which I put in the events > finland file. (Note: Other nations with large pools of trained reserves, paramilitaries, and/or auxiliaries may use an event similar to the below.)

#########################################################################
# Finland mobilizes - Civic Guard & Lotta Svard
#########################################################################

event = {
id = 3204
random = no
country = FIN
style = 0

trigger = {
NOT = { government = communist }
atwar = yes
}

date = { day = 0 month = january year = 1936 }
offset = 2
deathdate = { day = 29 month = december year = 1947 }

name = "Mobilization!"
desc = "Our general mobilization includes six divisions of well-trained reservists, six private Civic Guards militia brigades, and 100,000 Lotta Svard women auxiliaries."
picture = "finish_fortunes_of_war"

action_a = {
name = "Wonderful!"
ai_chance = 100

command = { type = manpowerpool value = 10 } # Lotta Svard 100 - manpower costs of below units
command = { type = add_division which = "5. Suojeluskunta Prikaati" value = militia when = 1 } # Civic Guard
command = { type = add_division which = "6. Suojeluskunta Prikaati" value = militia when = 1 }
command = { type = add_division which = "7. Suojeluskunta Prikaati" value = militia when = 1 }
command = { type = add_division which = "8. Suojeluskunta Prikaati" value = militia when = 1 }
command = { type = add_division which = "9. Suojeluskunta Prikaati" value = militia when = 1 }
command = { type = add_division which = "10. Suojeluskunta Prikaati" value = militia when = 1 }
command = { type = add_division which = "1. Varajalkaväen Div" value = infantry when = 0 } # Reserve divisions
command = { type = add_division which = "2. Varajalkaväen Div" value = infantry when = 0 }
command = { type = add_division which = "3. Varajalkaväen Div" value = infantry when = 0 }
command = { type = add_division which = "4. Varajalkaväen Div" value = infantry when = 0 }
command = { type = add_division which = "5. Varajalkaväen Div" value = infantry when = 0 }
command = { type = add_division which = "6. Varajalkaväen Div" value = infantry when = 0 }
}
}

Teemu249

Recruit
Feb 17, 2020
Nice idea. I hate that Finland hasn't gotten any love from Paradox when so many other "less" important nations in the war have.

I like HOI4, but I preferred the HOI3 mobilization system as well as many others. And few flaws (in historical accuracy) in your code is that the Civic guard should be actually better than normal infantry and not militia (but the game doesn't allow this). The game mechanics really hit Finland hard in HOI4 as it is almost impossible to play historically. For example the Finnish-Soviet frontier was in NO WAY to be possible to man and fight all the way through because of poor infrastucture and difficult terrain. (again problem in HOI4 not in HOI3). And as you addressed the Finnish mobilization is non exsistent in the game because of the game mechanics which you try to correct, which is nice ofc. But in the base game it is impossible to reach the military Finland historically had in Continuation war without going facist, which is again unhistorical.

I really think Paradox should do something about Finland. I think they realize as well that it is impossible to make Finland "historical" because of their own dum,bed down game mechanics in HOI4. And that is a real shame.