• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
IIRC when I converted some pagan provinces in the Crimea as Byzantium the culture changed, but an event popped up shortly after reverting their culture to what it had been. That was in 1.02, but I'd assume this still applies.

If that is the case, we have to reconsider taking those pagan provinces. I've asked Matty about it, so he can confirm if it's the case with the current version.

I also asked about the Novgorod CoT. He has altered an event a bit, so you need to copy-paste it into Finland's event file. You can find it here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379178

Looks like you guys had a rather decent start despite the setbacks...

Must say, some of those troop numbers look insane :wacko:

Finland starting with 105,000 men and only 5,000 of those are cavalry :wacko:

Given the consensus I should attack the UoK while I had the Temporary CB I started by moving into place. Troops were carefully shifted to Skane and some more cavalry raised. Troop numbers ~30,000. Skane is one of the very few Scandinavian provinces where cavalry count in combat.

Objectives were Military Access, money and if any of our allies are useful they can have a province.

UoK is already at war with the TO – I hoped that they’d sink each other’s fleets to give me naval superiority as UoK’s rather large army (~90,000) is enough of a problem. I waited until a month before the end of the CB to give longer for naval clashes to wear down UoK fleets.

I used the navy to block the straits from Denmark – 50k of UoK troops were stuck there for the duration of the war. I really needed to do this because our Russian allies stayed home and washed their hair for the entire war.

The 1459 slider move is a move to ‘Narrowminded’ – I’m interested in Conversion events although I expect we’ll just get ‘Heretics’.

1461 Naval 2

10/02/1462 Peace for Smaland and Military access.

Peace1462.jpg

UoK didn’t have any money and I wasn’t interested in rewarding allies who simply didn’t send any troops at all. Smaland is a reasonably valuable province which knocks a largish hole in UoK – I’d like to leave them too damaged to prove a life threatening danger. BB of 5.7 at this point. Using the Fleet to block the Danish narrows worked beautifully, UoK had 70000 troops with a leader stuck in Jutland by the end of the war.

Summer 1465 – Ryazan declares Independence. Here’s a political map of Russia.

RyazanIndependence.jpg

Somehow the Golden Horde has avoided the worst of the Caliphate’s attacks while driving back the Cossacks.

Slider move of 1469 is 1 towards Aristocracy. In Feb 1473 there’s also a free move towards Aristocracy as the ‘Nobles demand rights’ event fires.

There was a fortification event for Smaland in 1471, 75 ducats looked pretty cheap for a level 2 fortress.

Tech has been totally aimed at Infra 3 and a lot of progress made, another few years and we’ll get there. However Land is slipping, we’re starting to get real benefits from the Neighbour bonus. Trade has been a complete disaster, I’ve not been able to get a merchant to stick, probably because minor events keep knocking stab down a point (3 times).

Political Map of the Baltic January 1475

Baltic1475.jpg

The alliance has been renewed with Suzdal and Tver. A possible target to invite to join the alliance would be Halych-Volhynia, currently unallied and unpopular. That’s one for the next player. UoK still has a lot of troops in Denmark so be cautious about moving the fleet from its station in Skane.

There is a missionary underway in Estland at 44%

BB = 4.4/37
Inflation = 0.3
Allies = Tver and Suzdal
Army = 30k of 34k support limit
Navy = 25 galleys and 1 transport with a 260 ship support limit
No CBs

The save is at:

http://www.savefile.com/files/1853430

Final thought – are people from the UoK Calamari?

Very nice! Trapping that large army in Denmark must have made the war so much easier. Strange that they didn't try to lift the blockade; perhaps the war against TO had taken it's toll? Anyway, I hope we will get use of that MA - it's too bad if UoK doesn't dare to attack us now. The only "scratch" with the peace was that we didn't get any money from them. As a side note, if you don't like to share the booty with your allies, sign a separate peace. :) They will get a CB on you, but it's definitely worth it.

Ryazan declaring independence is very good news! We should consider taking Novgorod when the time is right (which is when we get a CB on the Caliphate or one of their allies). Hopefully we'll get enough warscore so Tver or Suzdal gets Moscow.

I don't think we should invite HV into our alliance yet. They seem to be a punching bag for numerous of nations. On the other hand, that'll give us some "free" wars. I would like to hear what you other think about this.

It's not so good that our stability is so low all the time. Perhaps we should mint for a FAA? If we get a CoT in Nyland soon, it shouldn't be so inflation-costly getting the money we need.

Ok Brian, over to you. It'll be interesting to see what happens to Novgorod during your turn. ;) Also, check out the vassal-list from time to time. If we have a potential Orthodox vassal (in Estland for example), it could be a good idea to release the vassal and help it taking provinces from TO.

By the way PrawnStar, I highly recommend using F11 when taking screenshots. You'll save a lot of time! :)

Calamari? Isn't that a squid or something? :p

Last edited:
I take pride in seeing such a large AI Poland in Interregnum - just as a side note ;).

I say taking HV into our alliance would be pointless. The TO will fear attacking any of us due to the considerable size of our alliance, and we aren't really interested in wars against Poland/Hungary, I guess. Let's ask Ryazan to join instead, they may well act as a war provoker against the muslims, allowing us to get Novgorod.

I wouldn't mint for an FAA, I avoid minting at all costs unless in a dire straits during a war or something similar. I'd rather just save the census taxes, after some 10 years we may have enough money. I can do that in my turn (unless, that is, I receive a DoW from someone).

PrawnStar, very well done, especially in the war. The successful blockade was a huuuge relief, I suppose. In a next war against the UoK I would suggest taking Gotland and/or Denmark.

Okay, I'm supposed to add in that stuff about the Novgorod CoT right? I've only really had time to skim this, so I'm not entirely up to date on the issue. Does it matter, now that the Caliphate came along and erased the CoT?

Anyway, I've got the save file and will give it a start tonight.

UoK did try lifting the blockade but two or three ships at a time don't do too much good against 21 :) I got to about 60 W/S but to go higher I'd have needed to take on that stack - no thanks! They were offering five mainland Swedish provinces for peace - if only it had been a defensive war!

I’ve refought that war without blockading the straits to see how it worked out. Not good, the UoK basically zergrushed me

We can’t DOW UoK while having MA – perhaps if we drop our allies they’ll come after us. If it is defensive I’d say take all the Swedish provinces and hope for Gotland and Denmark to revolt away.

Minting only brings in about 15 ducats a month - an FAA would take three or more years to mint for, is that too much? I haven't played enough EU2 recently to make that call but I don’t like the idea.

F11 - for some reason I'd convinced myself that it didn't work in EU2. I don't mind slowing down to do screenies every now and again - I play quite slowly and like to stop and think for a bit every couple of years anyway.

Brian, I think the new event means if we own Novgorod a new COT will spawn in our capital - which is nice.

PrawnStar said:
Brian, I think the new event means if we own Novgorod a new COT will spawn in our capital - which is nice.

Yeah, I understand that now that I've read the event closely and added it in. Meeting the requirements could be a tall order though. I've moved our investments toward trade, just in case...

I've played about half of my turn and it isn't too bad. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to post the first half of my update.

I agree that we shouldn't mint for 3 years, but should have some inflation, so we can make good use of deflation events.

I'm not sure if I understand the logic in the event 100%, but it seems that we wil get a CoT in Nyland if

1. We own Novgorod
2. The CoT is gone, and we have trade 3 before 1500.

So meeting the reqs for 2. will be oh so much harder than for choice 1. :) But I'm not sure though.

We have to either have trade 3 by 1500 or trade 4 by 1540 or trade 5 by 1600 - IMO if we can't accomplish the first, we ought to go for the second. We want that CoT badly. So I'd say that all investments should be directed to trade. We can neglect LT for some time, it won't do us much harm unless everyone around gets to LT 9 too soon - which I doubt.
Ah, and we need to be 7 or less mercantilistic.

Before I give my update, I'll have to say that I've directed all investments to trade since I started my turn in 1475, and Trade3 by 1500 is impossible, and 4 by 1540 is going to be pretty difficult. Even with all I've done, we're looking at Trade 3 around 1530 or so... And of course there is the small matter of taking Novgorod.

LT has gone up to 3 naturally, as has Infra. My only worry is that our neighbors, including TO have made 5 and can assault forts. Anyway, I'm going to start on the first part of my update through about 1490.

The Wars of Tapio II​

Part 1: 1475-1490

As a relatively conservative player, I expected to be able to have a relatively conservative leadoff appearance in this succession game. I assumed control of a Finland in a moderately powerful state, developed into a regional power by my predecessors, but with a severe need of economic growth. War had dominated the previous turns, and rightfully so, as the establishment of proper Finnic authority over national lands controlled by the Teutonic Order and the Union of Kalmar was necessary. Now however was time for a return to stability, growing the economy, and converting the Catholics in the newly conquered lands.

It did not take long for this plan, having met both the enemy and his Majesty the King, to fall entirely. I arrived in Finland only two days ahead of a herald from one of our treasured Russian allies.

fin14750103de8.jpg

I had already set about my work, determined to improve the trading skill of the merchants of Finland when I was summoned to the presence of his Majesty Tapio II, under order to focus on the protection of our allies Tver and Suzdal from the onslaught of the Catholic crusade. We were to go to war against The Teutonic Order, the independent city-state of Danzig, and the newly liberated nation of Ryazan, so-called believers in the true Orthodox faith.

Upon meeting with Tapio II, it was evident that mine would be an administration of war. His Majesty was a bold, powerful man, clearly able to dominate any before him, whether he were the absolute monarch of a major power, or an elected leader of a minor republic. He was a warrior king, an important leader on the battlefield, and did not seek to protect his allies from the Teutonic onslaught, but to rightfully advance the cause of Finland and her allies, taking a large bite our of Teutonic power in the process.

The Teutonic War

kingkekkonenua9.jpg

Tapio II, warrior of the late 15th century

Upon learning of the declaration of war, our navy was sent from the newly acquired territory of Skane, where the lion's share of our army was located, to bring our men to the front with the Teutonic Order. The campaign of that spring would see the establishment of sieges along the Baltic sea, our invading armies largely ignored by the enemy. The Teutons, in a foolish dismissal of Finnic might, had set their entire army into the heart of the realm of Tver, leaving their homeland largely undefended.

The winter of 1475-76 would be a harsh one for the armies of the Teutonic order, as their focus on the overtaking Welikia created massive losses among their men amassed in numbers far too great to be supported on the barren enemy land. Our army, spread in conservative numbers of roughly 11,000 men to each seige, also took losses, though in a far smaller capacity than the enemy. These few thousand men were reinforced in the spring of 1476 and again in 1477.

At this early stage in the war, victory for the Finnic alliance was evident. Ryazan was the first to crack. With their armies routed and their capital under siege, they offered peace for 121 ducats. As Finland would be unable to vassalize them (Tver got there first, and Tapio II was still in Livland) I agreed, figuring the money would be more valuable than seeing the small Orthodox nation annexed. We don't want to see Tver too powerful early on, do we?

1477 brought good news. First of all, a herald from our Bishop in Estland.

fin14770215gu7.jpg

Soon after more good news came in the war. Livland and Memel fell, as the siege of Kurland continued, having survived several attempts from the Teutonic Order to break the occupying force. Meanwhile Suzdal had undertaken a siege of Belarus that would succeed in 1478, along with Kurland. The Teutonic Order offers us peace granting Livland and Memel, but refuses offers seeking the cession of Belarus to Suzdal.

Meanwhile Norway declares war. They send an army into some God-forsaken northern land so they can die in the winter. Nobody really cares. In fact we don't even call on our allies to help. After a year or so of that they make peace adding 50 ducats into our treasury.

The war against the Teutonic Order continues for several more years, with the Teutonic Order unable to regain any ground. They attempt a siege of Belarus which they abandon. Meanwhile Tver sieges and occupies Polotsk. The Teutonic Order sends troops to Skane, initiating a siege that we later break. Danzig shows their might by building a massive army in their only provinces that they proceed to do nothing with. The Teutonic Order patrols Prussia and Lithuania with their remaining army, which we would be unable to break without a new massive investment to recruit troops.

After several attempts to negotiate peace broken over refusals to share the craftsman's secret of Tapio's spectacles, we finally secure a peace in early 1481 that significantly weakens the power of the Teutonic Order.

fin14810221ha4.jpg

A province apiece for each ally. Unfortunately, no money. Livland isn't the wealthiest of provinces, but does not hurt us too much. It is a welcome addition, as it now makes the Gulf of Riga territorial waters, making blockades easier in future wars. Meanwhile Tver takes Polotsk, and Suzdal takes Belarus, maybe not very useful for them, but useful as it is out of the hands of the Teutonic Order.

The Skirmishes of the 1480s

Finland enjoys a rare moment of peace, establishing a tax collector in Livland (others were previously added in Skane and Smaland) while an unexpected visit from the Patriarch brings more good news.

find14821116conug2.jpg

With Skane now properly Orthodox, they could possibly be released as a vassal, though we do not do so at this point, as the King would prefer to keep control of the Sund until the Union of Kalmar is thoroughly cowed.

War resumes again through the 1480s. A call to arms from Tver puts us at war with Smolensk, along with the Cossack Hetmanate. The enemy alliance, at this stage has already been thoroughly defeated by the Teutonic alliance. Tapio II, personally leads a small force south, where Finland quickly takes control of both of Smolensk's remaining lands. (Mozyr, by this point, had been taken by the Teutonic Order). However we are unable to vassalize Smolensk, as they are already vassals of the Cossack Hetmanate. Meanwhile, we do not have an avenue into lands controlled by the Cossacks. We therefore seek an independent financial peace, giving our allies leave to take more out of the defeated nation should they choose to do so. We use the money to fund a relatively inexpensive missionary in Livland.

Meanwhile Norway declares war again, this time more effectively. Having gained military access from the Union of Kalmar, troops enter into Skane defeating our small force there and sieging the city. Fortunately we get them off our back with a white peace.

The Second Teutonic War

We are unable to gain more from Norway, as Tver has once again called us to arms against the Teutonic Order. We advance into Kurland again, putting the province under siege, but are unable to hold it as an army 45,000 strong moves toward the province. Tver overruns and annexes Ryazan, but finds trouble on their southern border as the Teutons attempt to take control of Belarus from Suzdal. In the midst of the war, we find a reason for this sudden eruption of hosilities.

fin14891116eventhk0.jpg

With the hearts of the Russian peoples thoroughly directed toward the diplomatic aims of Finland in the struggles against Western Europe, (Tapio II would be recognized as the father of this policy henceforth known as "Finlandization") the King sought an armistice with the Teutonic Order asking only 100 ducats for the alliance. Tapio, despite his warrior mentality, recognized that there would be far more economically viable times to pursue this struggle, now that a permanent casus belli had been established.

fin14900815bd3.jpg

With Finlandization ruling the day among the minor powers of Russia, word is sent to Suzdal expressing his Majesty's wishes that our diplomatic ties be strengthened.

fin14900822mc2.jpg

By 1490, Tapio II had thoroughly established himself as the key player in the affairs of Northern Russia and the Baltic. Yet, while I was satisfied and ready to resume my original work toward strengthening the power of Finnic merchants, the old monarch, formidable as ever clearly wanted at least one more fight to solidify the power of Finland in the region. My work on trade and economic growth, while still progressing during the eras of warfare had, except for the brief period in the early 1480s come second to the King's conquests.

Yet in one of my final conferences with the old warrior, only months before his death was by far the most intriguing, as he explained his preparation for a conquest that he believed would prove in time bring a whole new era of economic power to Finland.

Part II, hopefully Friday. I've played through 1493, but have an opportunity that I think I can take advantage of, with aim to finish up my turn sometime before 1500 putting me in that 20-25 year range. By the way, when writing the update, Sibelius' Finlandia really adds to the mood. :D

Very nice! Apart from BB for the conversion event :(

I'll comment more after the second update - I've just got up and I have to go to the Dentist :( The problem is not the treatment it's the bill :mad:

My 'background music' is Buffy the Vampire Slayer, my girlfriend is working her way through box sets of all the episodes in the room next door. Thanks Ebay.

Nice turn and report Brian! Tapio II sure looks a lot like Kekkonen. ;) I also enjoy some Finlandia when I'm playing and writing, but that's the drink, not the hymn. :D (cough, not really)

Tver is very aggressive, I must say. I hope they don't accumulate too much BB, or else we may end up in trouble. But right now it looks good. Getting national waters outside Kurland is very good! And it's also nice to see TO even more weakened.

Some good luck with the Orthodox inquisition lately, after the first failure in Österbotten. I think we should release Skåne sooner rather than later, so we can help them getting Scandinavian provinces they can convert more easily than us. According to country.csv, they're not very innovative (4), so they should get enough missionaries to aid our cause. It also looks like our Orthodox neighbours are converting their provinces, like Smolensk did with Mozyr. That's good!

Great to see Suzdal vassalized. I thought it would be nearly impossible, considering their size. Hopefully Tver will also agree to a vassalization.

Even if it's not so important, we should try to get some maps from Byzantium for example. IIRC there's Orthodox nations all the way to China, so it should be possible to map almost all of Europe and Asia with a few diplomats. Byzantium isn't very happy to trade maps though, I tried a couple of times during my turn without success.

Looking forward to part II! :) And hope you survived the shock from the dentist's bill, PrawnStar. ;)

Re Map trading - we could do with sacking Astrakhan at some point - so that we have maps to trade with Eire. I'd rather that we know our way across the Atlantic before we get an Explorer.

How valuable will maps of Asia be if we're not going to fight our way through to the corridor?

As for the Dentist's Bill - the Hygenist wants me to visit every three months - at £68 a time - how can I put this politely, F**k Off!

Ł68 is worse than ridiculous for a visit at a dentist's. I could buy a really nice distortion for my guitar for an equivalent in the Polish złoty. :mad:

With the recent relations boost with Byzantium (catholic crusade) it should be easy to get maps from them. And the idea of getting to the Siberian corridor isn't that bad, by the way. That is, if Interregnum has the connection between Kazan and Igrim that AGCEEP introduced.

A very good turn, Brian. Pity you weren't able to carry out your peaceful plans. The next person, however, should try their best to do so.

The Wars of Tapio II​

Part 2: 1491-99

As of 1491, Finland and her new vassal Suzdal was finally again at peace. Tapio II agreed to an end to hostilities with the Teutonic Order in exchange for a monetary tribute from the Catholic leaders. Yet, for some reason uncertain to the court, likely involving the annexation of Ryazan, Tver was not included in this peace agreement. Teutonic armies stormed through the regions of Polotsk and Welikia. It was only through great fortune that Tver's diplomats were able to gain peace later that year for a token 16 ducats.

The legacy of Tapio II, was at this point in little doubt. He was the constant warrior. The only question that would yet to be determined was that of the value of his conquests. Reception of the addition of the Livland ports and the weakening of the perennial enemies of the Teutonic Order was immediately favorable among fellow statesmen, as was the vassalization of Suzdal, but the economy continued to
grow at a snail's pace, conversion efforts in Livland languished, and there was question as to whether Finland's technology was falling behind the times.

The Merchants' War

Yet despite his conquests, it was not until 1493 that Tapio was able to act in the greatest interest of Finland's long-held goals. Decades after the Muslim conquest of Novgorod controversies remained over the dissolution of the marketplace in the north. Finnic merchants consistently seeking independent trade through the region were repeatedly harassed by Abbasid fanatics, claiming that their trafficking of salt pork and potato vodka was contributing to the degeneracy of the Muslim majority in the region. In speaking with the warrior king on my continued efforts to improve the trading ability of the nation, Tapio was fixated on these incidents insisting that our trade would never have the possibility to grow fully until the Muslims were expelled from the region. The issue dominating his thoughts, fierce king Tapio found his solution to the problem in 1493, only a year before his death.

fin14930529nd3.jpg

While I feared for the tarnished reputation this could give Finland, I could not help but to be intrigued by the plans before me. Indications throughout the diplomatic atmosphere argued that our indignation over Abbasid treatment of our merchants would be regarded for up to two years. Tapio, anxious to see his plan made reality before he passed on, scheduled invasion for the following spring.

fin14930923abblv3.jpg

King Tapio II had the idea, and it was my task to see that it worked with success. Investigation of the status of our soon-to-be enemies brought mixed reaction. First was my concern for the reports the intelligence brought to me of their military skill. While our pikemen were valorous and had over the past three-quarters of a century brought us steady victory over our neighbors, the Abbasids had skills with gunpowder that we would surely not manage for decades to come. This was not deal-breaking news however, as the reports also showed that they had no freedom of military access through the territories of the Golden Horde. Thus, their defense of Novgorod was limited to the garrisons, only a few thousand men, already stationed in their noncontiguous provinces of Novgorod, Muscovy, and Voronezh.

Our strategy was clear. We were to build our troops, creating a force large enough to overwhelm the six thousand man armies in the provinces of Novgorod and Muscovy to the point that our technological disadvantage would not matter. With luck the war would be brief enough that they would not find a way to bring reinforcements to the north. Investing the majority of our treasury, we ordered the creation of two armies of roughly twenty thousand men apiece giving us more than a three-to-one advantage over the Abbasid garrisons, not including the contribution our allies would likely bring.

149402140429eq0.jpg

In March of 1494, snow still on the ground in some of the northern regions, our armies began their invasion. The Abbasid garrisons, unsure of how to respond, fought valiantly to annihilation in Novgorod, and retreated from Muscowy. Our eyes on the prize of Novgorod we moved our forces from Moscow after the initial assault, leaving control of the siege to our vassals. Voronezh, completely ignored in the spring campaign, provided no help to the Abbasid effort. It was during this point in the war, victory clearly at hand, that the aged but satisfied Tapio II left this world, bequeathing the accomplishment of the final peace to his successor Ahti V.

By that autumn, Suzdal had occupied Moscow, while Finnic armies marched through the abandoned marketplace of Novgorod. The Caliphate sent word offering the entirety of their treasury, 243 ducats for peace. Honoring the final wishes of his predecessor that the Mohammedans be driven from Novgorod, Ahti refused. In 1495 our allies Tver, undertaking an aggressive strategy still unknown to our generals, surrounded and charged the fortress of Voronezh, conquering it by might rather than by attrition. Ahti saw this as an opportunity to make a peace that would surely bring Novgorod to Finland. As he prepared the delegation, another emissary from the Caliph approached bringing rapid word concerning his concessions.

fin14950915fc9.jpg

The Caliphate considered their northern conquests as lost causes, indefensible against the advances of Orthodox Christianity. They offered all occupied provinces in exchange for peace, desiring to focus military efforts on their rivalries with the Il-Khanate and the minors of Hindustan. Seeing this as effective recognition of our status as protector of the Russian peoples, we accepted. The three province peace, as that of the Teutonic wars, was balanced among the members of the alliance.

Debriefing:

As this is already a good eight hours later than I intended, I'll end the fancy part of my update here and just include the final five years of my turn in the debriefing for the next player. Little happened of great consequence in this period, except for a brief war with the Golden Horde. (And in all fairness, that wouldn't be a war of Tapio II, but one of Ahti V, or whoever the warmongering Duke of Tver happens to be...) Tver is indeed pretty belligerent and may be something to worry about down the stretch. In this case, though, I was able to gain a peace after only a year, picking up another 100 ducats or so. Our men never really saw battle.

I tried to vassalize Tver, but they refused. Bastards are just a little too big after their gains, or possibly it is their technological strength. Those last few years were not bad though. We brought in a lot of money during this period thanks to some events and some fiscally conservative spending policy (hear that Washington? Vote McCain!) Um...anyway, the result is that we now have some 750 ducats in the treasury that I've left for the next player to spend. My recommendation, now that we have Novgorod would be a refinery to speed up our trade investment. Of course there are other options: we still have several provinces, including Novgorod, to convert, we could build our navy adding some warships for some strength, we could butter up Eire and work toward colonization, we could build a few small forts, or we could wait another couple years and build that FAA we had mentioned before. Something for the next player to decide.

Our trade situation is still pretty rough looking. We are investing about 23-25 ducats/month plus admin skill, and Trade 3 is expected around 1525-6 even if we invest there without exception, depending on how many merchants we can keep in Mecklenburg. That refinery could knock a good years off of that, but Trade 4 in 1540 still looks hard at this point. We may need to invest in Land at some point too, though I chose not to. Our enemies are already at 5 or 6, while we're at 3, but we are getting a decent neighbor bonus.

Political Map:
fin14990201prx3.jpg

The white in Donetsk is Sibir, not Teutonic Order. Suzdal still has Belarus.

Diplomatic Map:
fin14990201dqw3.jpg

Casus Bellis: Teutonic Order
Allies: Tver and Suzdal
Vassals: Suzdal
BB: 7.4/39 (Tver is at 9.1/40 so we may need to settle them down for a while. Suzdal is at a relatively polite 1.5)

Religious Map:
fin14990201rji5.jpg

3 Catholic provinces, 1 Muslim. I didn't think to do this, but we may need to ease our tolerance slider on Muslims for a while to keep Novgorod from going off every few months. Ahti V is pretty crappy for conversions.

LT 3
NT 3
Trade 2
Infra 2
Stab +3
Inflation 1.3% (I agreed we could use a little inflation to make use of any deflation events, so I collected some war taxes to boost our treasury a bit more)
Army: About 41k of 60k limit
Navy: 1 Warship, 24 Galleys, 1 Transport

http://www.savefile.com/files/1857640

Also notice, I had autosave turned off so I missed January 1. The next player will start on February 1, 1499. His first move will necessarily have to be to move the slider some. I'm still not certain what our rules are there. I would have asked, but didn't want to slow things up, so I worked toward our goals set before the game started and moved toward centralization. We'll need to move something toward the other side to balance it. Free Trade, I think? Anyway, if I screwed up the sliders, then fix them in the save file.
I didn't think to ask for any maps (Byzantium is indeed very friendly), and I didn't release Skane, though the option is still available.

Good luck to the next guy, and thanks to everybody who read and appreciated my turn or my corny Kekkonen stuff. See you all sometime around 1590. :D

Alright! That showed the Caliphate who's the boss! I would have thought the big difference in LT would have made the battles harder, but apparently not. So continuing to research Trade 3 seems like the best choice. And I agree that we need a refinery to speed things up. I think we also should find some easy wars now and then, and aim for looting as much as possible. Every ducat counts. :) Even if BB is quite high, we can handle a bit more. I would say the Hanseatic League is an excellent choice (depends on their LT level though). We could use Jutland as starting point for a war.

If we decide to build a refinery, be sure to check the event file - we get a manufactory somewhere (I don't remember where), and it would be a shame if we get that manu in the same province as we built the refinery. Anyway, Arkhangelsk seems like a good choice (but we definitely need a fort there first!).

Since Mega Death is unable to play this weekend, we start at round 2.

Roster:

1. Emperor_krk
2. Olav
3. PrawnStar
4. Brian Roastbeef
5. Mega Death

Before you start your turn, krk, could you post a pic of the DP sliders?

Will comment and post the screenie you asked of later, I cannot do this at the moment. Just wanted to leave a note that I am here and that I won't be able to play until tomorrow morning and I'll be able to write/post the update no earlier than on Monday morning (or rather - I will do it on Monday morning, because before that I will be either 1)too busy learning 2)too busy attending a gig) :(. I hope it's ok?