Finally uninstalling this game after many years and no longer buying dlc.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChillB

Sergeant
32 Badges
Sep 15, 2020
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
It was a fun journey but there are just many problems with the game that i straight out just give up on and im just not enjoying the game anymore.

I started when this game was released and it was amazing and had fun features but over time the game gets directly worse and worse and worse. Alot of things remain unfixed and straight out abandoned or removed instead of improving, alot of things are just straight out RNG. I remember when you had a massive empire in the past... you had sectors and automation you put resources in those sectors and they functioned without much micromanagement.

With the release of the megacorp DLC, sectors have been straight out not working and pretty much abandoned entirely, with this result means that you are going to be micromanaging 90 planets one at a time. Over and over. I played one game where i had 225 planets and i just quit that game cause the micro and constant crime and unemployment pop ups were driving me to insanity. Sectors are still broken to this day every since the release of megacorp and looks like theres no future for this feature. It exists to just exist. The ai to it is now even more awful, spamming housing buildings etc or straight out upgrading every single building to the max so you have an economy crash of -50 gas or crystals or negative minerals. This forces you to micro. Literally forced.

Only way to fix this was to play tall, but guess what... every update seemingly makes the tall playstyle less and less viable then before, pushing wide as superior every time. the admin cap change was proof of that. There is no reason to play tall anymore. When you can just play wide, build admin cap buildings, maintain your admin, get triple the science and resources then a tall empire while suffering no penalty, back in the old stellaris, wide empires were know for their slow tech grow and massive resources, tall empires were known for crazy good science and easy to defend territory. Now its polar opposite, wide empires can make massive tech and massive resources. This puts tall in a very weak spot. Its no point in playing the tall playstyle.

Thus we get to my first point about micromanagement, this pretty much forced meta of "go big as possible" as major consequences. the freaking micro. it ruins every single game i play. When you have micro every planet one at a time and constantly scroll. Dear lord its tedius. It sucks. Its boring. Its lame. And again. The sector system. Still. DOES not WORK. Its crazy how a mod is essential for a semi decent game. Cough tiny outliner. And dont get me started on the pop resettlement garbage. Try resettling pops when you have 150 planets. It is just awful.

Heres another problem. The bugs and bugs and overall AI performance.

To getting randomly calling into a war for no reason by a 2 system AI to getting stuck on a dialog screen forever to invincible fleets after taking a system in war. The game is riddled with bugs, some of these bugs have existed for years and not have been fixed. Especially the invincible fleets and your ships refusing to attack in a single system. I cant tell you how many wars this has costed me. And i cant tell you how many times where im playing solo, no pacts, no guarantees no federation or vassal states and a 2 system or small empire randomly calls me into a massive galactic war cause the notification does not pop up and for some reason auto accepts me... WHY??? JUST WHY? and mind you, these AI usually have massive negative opinion of me. These bugs or just straight out badly designed gameplay mechanics are never fixed.

Lets talk about the AI.... I love myself a random game. I love seeing random empires. I remember when megacorp dlc launched and i created my first megacorp in a large galaxy of 15 ai. I thought i was special.. well guess what. There are like 9 megacorp AI's that match. I create a lithoid empire when lithoids came out. 80% of the empires were also lithoids. I create a necroid and guess what, half the galaxy are also necroids. This not only ruins my immersion but does not make me feel special and the only way to fix the massive rng of AI empires is to create your own and force spawn which ruins the random factor and fun factor for me. I cant tell you the last time i saw a migratory flock, or a decadent hierarchy. Instead the galaxy is riddled with hegemonic imperialists/megacorps/hiveminds. I think its been like over 50 games for me since i saw a single machine empire, even more so for rogue servitor, i saw one ai rogue servitor over the time of 6k hours ive played this game.

The awful war system is another problem but i wont rant about that.

The god awful edict change we never asked for but hurray we got space whaling.

lackluster and straight out annoying and tedius events like the grey tempest which can ruin a game instantly or the khan thats useless and always dies and is never a threat to the galaxy at all.

The awful slow down even on monster computers. Obviously its been way better recently but it will always remain due to the new pop system megacorp released

The rng precursor system. Cant tell you how much i die inside when i get the zroni or irissians or the yuht every game. The precursors used to be fixed to one part of a galaxy so you can keep restarting to get what you want. Do not forget how blatantly overpowered the cybrex has been since it was released and never gets fixed but when first league gave a free ecu that was nerfed asap.

The meta and constantly the same civics and ethics being strong no matter what and we get useless ones added like docile instead of balancing the other garbage species traits. No point playing egalitarian when you can play authoritarian with slaves and outpace everyone. No point playing spiritualist when you can just play materialist and do 100x better in every aspec of the game with robots. No point playing a weak organic hivemind when you can just play a broken machine empire.
Xenophile is still obnoxious to play and i dont even know why the cross breeding thing was added, it breaks and lags the game to hell. And ofc its super weird. When you see a half human snail you know its just straight out vile and disturbing and makes you want to play xenophobe 24/7.

Dont forget every game is practically the same with a different skinned empire and diplomacy is extremely weak in this game. Only fun i get out of this game is destroying everyone. Galactic community is broken too. Unbidden on 25x crisis invading? WELL BETTER DOWN VOTE THE RESOLUTION TO COMBAT IT which most ai do. So you sit there helpless as 5 system useless andy the vassal has his borders to closed to you and you cant get out and save the galaxy. Awakened empires are practically useless and sit there for 100 years after waking up and never touch anyone despite being stronger then everyone around them. Crisis was broken and has not functioned correctly for ages, atleast they fixed it recently. AFTER YEARS SINCE MEGACORP BROKE IT.

List goes on. Im done with the game and done buying dlc. I cant stand it no more. The game for me is gradually getting worse and worse and corporate greed is sucking the game dry with dlc that barely fix anything but add stuff, thus adding more broken gameplay mechanics that barely get fixed. This community is amazing and so is the modders but the company is destroying the soul of stellaris and what made it fun. Obviously this is an opinion of mine. If you like the game, good on you. And im sure you will continue supporting the devs but i refuse to now and i wont.

Maybe i may return, maybe i wont but it was sure a journey thanks

• 44Like
Reactions:
Some of these complaints are exaggerated (no, half the galaxy being lithoids if you're lithoid is not my experience at all, and even "like 9 megacorps" is not the usual galaxy - in fact, I've tested it: if you're a Megacorp, the number is about 1/7 of all empires), but most are valid. My biggest problem is that the Unbidden and Contingency Crisis AI's are still not functional, as I detailed in my reports when Paradox asked for it. My second problem is bad game balance with wide/tall and crime. The balance issues can be fixed with mods (even with my own private mods), but it's one of the issues that shouldn't be left to modders. The issue about many civics/traits being underpowered is also valid. I don't mind the micro that much, tbh,, but sector AI being so bad is a part of overall issues with the AI. Overall, it's true that "alot of things remain unfixed".

At least, there's 1.9.1 with event mods... I've been having some fun games with it, albeit I miss the new story content like Distant Stars and Ancient Relics.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Some of these complaints are exaggerated (no, half the galaxy being lithoids if you're lithoid is not my experience at all, and even "like 9 megacorps" is not the usual galaxy - in fact, I've tested it: if you're a Megacorp, the number is about 1/7 of all empires), but most are valid. My biggest problem is that the Unbidden and Contingency Crisis AI's are still not functional, as I detailed in my reports when Paradox asked for it. My second problem is bad game balance with wide/tall and crime. The balance issues can be fixed with mods (even with my own private mods), but it's one of the issues that shouldn't be left to modders. The issue about many civics/traits being underpowered is also valid. I don't mind the micro that much, tbh,, but sector AI being so bad is a part of overall issues with the AI. Overall, it's true that "alot of things remain unfixed".

At least, there's 1.9.1 with event mods... I've been having some fun games with it, albeit I miss the new story content like Distant Stars and Ancient Relics.
Ive had 7 megacorps.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You may not mind the micro man, but its extremely tedius and its awful. Everyone is different, but alot others including me knows its ruining the game. Even the devs know its bad, thats why next update is changing that but im sure it wont remove all of the micro

• 5Like
Reactions:
Ive had 7 megacorps.
You certainly did, but it's not a typical situation.

As for the micro, I agree that all features should be functional, including planet automation. Either this or pre-building/planet templates.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Skimmed through that wall of text but uh the next update might help the micro and sector stuff. Still I habe been here since the beginning too and I have been struggling as well. Well see with thr next update if i buy the DLC, if sectors micro really is in a better place i might.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Well see with thr next update if i buy the DLC, if sectors micro really is in a better place i might.
Unfortunately they added with the latest DLC, or better species pack, another performance killer in the end game. The Necrophage Conversion kills the performance in the end game, when the empire is big with a lot of pops and a lot of conversion. I think the number of pops are more the main reason for the problems again. Hope they can fix it, as the beta was so far good for performance if you don't have the necrophage conversion.

Reactions:
Skimmed through that wall of text but uh the next update might help the micro and sector stuff. Still I habe been here since the beginning too and I have been struggling as well. Well see with thr next update if i buy the DLC, if sectors micro really is in a better place i might.
Not really a wall of text since i separated it. Sorry you cant take 3 minutes out of your time to read a detailed post that is not 2 sentences.

But yeah, the micro is awful, if this new update fixes the micro and planetary management, id love to play again but i did not play stellaris for clicking planets one by one and sorting jobs 24/7 Really painful to go the galactic empire route and at that point it turns into an economy simulati

Diplomacy is awful and so is the galactic community.

Reactions:
The game has been fundamentally broken since Megacorp came out. Not only did it kill performance with all the additional pop calculations, it dramatically increased micromanagement. But worst of all, the AI lost the ability to play the game. Even the AI mods can't fix it, it's completely incapable of managing it's economy and the game is a joke on the hardest settings after 50 years as the AIs can't deal with the new pop system and how that plays with the (strategic) resource system.

It's been two years, they are obviously not capable of fixing up the AI to deal with the Megacorp changes. I know we paid for it, but at what point do they pull the plug and revert the economic system? They keep adding more content packs and small DLCs but nothing has changed the fact that the game is still fundamentally unplayable and has been for 2 years because of the completely broken AI.

• 7Like
Reactions:
The game has been fundamentally broken since Megacorp came out. Not only did it kill performance with all the additional pop calculations, it dramatically increased micromanagement. But worst of all, the AI lost the ability to play the game. Even the AI mods can't fix it, it's completely incapable of managing it's economy and the game is a joke on the hardest settings after 50 years as the AIs can't deal with the new pop system and how that plays with the (strategic) resource system.

It's been two years, they are obviously not capable of fixing up the AI to deal with the Megacorp changes. I know we paid for it, but at what point do they pull the plug and revert the economic system? They keep adding more content packs and small DLCs but nothing has changed the fact that the game is still fundamentally unplayable and has been for 2 years because of the completely broken AI.

Yep. I quit the game around the time Ancient Relics came out, because Megacorp just murdered the game. I came back recently, and there is minor improvement (especially with certain mods), but at its core the game remains fundamentally broken and frustrating - and Paradox either can't or won't fix it.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Yep. I quit the game around the time Ancient Relics came out, because Megacorp just murdered the game. I came back recently, and there is minor improvement (especially with certain mods), but at its core the game remains fundamentally broken and frustrating - and Paradox either can't or won't fix it.
They wont fix it, they abandon alot of their features and just add new ones and people get all happy "hur new content" thus keeps eyes off the big picture as a whole

• 4Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Thank you ChillB for your very long, and right on the nose comment.

Your sentiment is mirrored by my own experience 100%. The game has lead me down a spiral towards insanity, until I broke the cycle. Seemingly the game has succumbed to a myrid of issues, each itself being a total doombringer, but combined it just makes for a very very unpleasant experience.

We might complain about the luckluster state of the base product on release. But the whole saga has opened my eyes to how adding more things in makes the overall experience worse. I was more thrilled about the game at launch then I am now. If anything the possibilities for the game then seemed ENDLESS. But as the product iterated through more and more pingeonholes, we saw that the outcome would never match our hopes and dreams.

Wait for Stellaris 2, where the cycle begins a new! Though without my financial contribution, as I tend to let the hose beat me only once.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Thank you ChillB for your very long, and right on the nose comment.

Your sentiment is mirrored by my own experience 100%. The game has lead me down a spiral towards insanity, until I broke the cycle. Seemingly the game has succumbed to a myrid of issues, each itself being a total doombringer, but combined it just makes for a very very unpleasant experience.

We might complain about the luckluster state of the base product on release. But the whole saga has opened my eyes to how adding more things in makes the overall experience worse. I was more thrilled about the game at launch then I am now. If anything the possibilities for the game then seemed ENDLESS. But as the product iterated through more and more pingeonholes, we saw that the outcome would never match our hopes and dreams.

Wait for Stellaris 2, where the cycle begins a new! Though without my financial contribution, as I tend to let the hose beat me only once.

I sadly hate to be that guy, but i really dont think there will be a stellaris 2... i believe the game will be milked with dlc until its dying days then outright abandoned all together once profits get low, alot of gems end up with this miserable existence, and i believe stellaris will be one of them. The devs are to worried about adding more and more content and changing the game then fixing outright problems that have existed for a long time THAT WAS ADDED AS NEW CONTENT. Its a cycle that will continue repeating.

Alot of these features end up abandoned in the long run as new content is added like sector ai has pretty much been abandoned... the new pop system keeps getting changed and downgraded as it has caused many problems since megacorps release, the more content that is added. Less the old content will be fixed, harder it will be to fix these problems due to how many problems there are.

I have been playing this game so long, i never thought id uninstall it but the game has gotten to the point where almost every game is the same and riddled with problems. Alot of people deny this and shill but ive been noticing a downward spiral since megacorp. To me megacorp ruined the game, the dlc that came before megacorp improved the game quite abit but that one dlc has led to the spiral of the game that it seems to be getting worse and worse. They overhype the new dlcs but when you play it for the first time after paying 20 dollars, it just feels the same and you get bored cause you realize the changes are really not that good. Think about it, megacorp broke the game, broke the ai, broke preformance... megacorp empire is boring and lame, new pop system made the game cookie cutter with no creativity just rush pop growth, win and honestly the game really never recovered since.

The AI literally cant do anything anymore. AI was really not that bad in the past, i had fun. Awakened empires were scary, so was the crisis. Things functioned better, less bugs, less problems. Now its the polar opposite.

I wont deny i was super hyped for federations, i thought it may be the best dlc next to utopia just reading on it, i followed the hype train. In realism it was again one of the worst dlcs ive ever purchased when i got it megacorp took that cake tho. Galactic community is pretty much broken beyond belief, AI downvote important resolutions like the crisis or the khan or grey tempest ETC. Federations still suck and the only reason for that is cause the AI blows once again. Allying yourself with an AI is like shooting yourself in the foot. Diplomacy in general in stellaris is crazy weak. Not hoi4 weak but still weak. The juggernaut ship is pretty much useless in most situations as it moves slower then a snail and some reason cant be followed by fleets. The meta is fast and hard hitting fleets, juggernaut is polar opposite of that.

The games balance is worse then ever, some civics and ethics and traits must be taken at all times if you want a perfect game. Cough authoritarian slaver guilds technocracy. Cough rapid breeders, intelligent. Useless civics like byzantine bureaucracy or corvee system or efficient bureaucracy. Hive minds still are awful and machine empires are still broken. Robots in general are broken. No point playing a spiritualist over a technocracy that goes robot ascension. No point playing democracy as its still the worst government type in the game and dictatorship is better in almost EVERY regard.

Game has in fact gotten worse.

Reactions:
Mostly agree, last patch was half decent though and what's coming next doesn't seem hugely shit.

They really do need to stop adding things and then abandoning them. Archeology was cool as hell.... Until you saw the same 5 sites every game. Surely they can add some sites for free with a patch or throw a few in with other dlc?

• 13Like
Reactions:
Mostly agree, last patch was half decent though and what's coming next doesn't seem hugely shit.

They really do need to stop adding things and then abandoning them. Archeology was cool as hell.... Until you saw the same 5 sites every game. Surely they can add some sites for free with a patch or throw a few in with other dlc?
They had some cool sites, but nerfed them to hell. Never saw them ever again. Like the dig site for the free titan. At this point i dont think it exists anymore cause i never see it.

Reactions:
I agree with a lot of points, and in fact I stopped playing Stellaris for about a year now.

I think it boils down to two major design direction failures:

1/ Not focusing on empire building through the game, and instead defining empires by their starting combos. In a space opera-themed game, it's true that different empires should start different and play different at the beginning. But they should also develop in different directions, depending on what happens. Ascencions and traditions should have been the start of something. Instead, they became some of the most repetitive parts of the game. In the same way, planets should have been updated so they become proper center of attentions where you spend your time. Instead, they are still just your basic production units, and you spend most of your time on the outliner in the right part of the screen (which is maybe one of the biggest design failures of a game with such beautiful visuals).
Mods try to address those issues, but clearly it's not enough. There's only so much the mods can fix and expand. They need a structure to work with.

2/ Not focusing on internal dynamics. Empires are largely monolithic blocks. I'm not saying that we should have revolt and angry vassals. But in space opera, it's very rare for empires to be monolithic: there are often factions, clans, corporations within each "state". At the very least, there are planets owned by organization (military, religious, corporate) that are exploited for certain ressources that aren't found elsewhere (it's one of the biggest tropes of modern scifi). So the different parts of each empire should interact with each other.

This doesn't mean that those failures can't be addressed in the future, or that the various "broken" things can't be fixed. Still, it feels like the devs struggle to add new things without breaking others, and lately it's not very clear if they had a design direction at all. As a result, it feels like they are just adding layers of modifiers upon layers of modifiers, sometimes adding a new space opera category of empires (without radical gameplay changes). Meanwhile, players get thristy for new events, because in the end that's pretty much the only thing that brings variety to the game.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I think I'm addicted to hope with this game, as gloomy as I often sound on these forums. I always seem to come back to give the game another go, only to be disapointed.

At this point 2.2 has effectively broken the game for half its lifespan. PDX had problems fixing the game before, and 2.2 made it all infinitely more complicated. I don't have much faith in it ever being fixed either. I'm not sure what else to say, as I've been saying it for 2 years now.

• 3Like
Reactions:
this-isnt-the-airport-theres-no-need-to-announce-your-departure.jpg

• 20Haha
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Uninstalling Stellaris is easy. I've done it dozens of times.

• 3Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
2021_01_03_91.png

• 8Haha
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.