Finally I can play a proper Space Dwarf origin...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DaleDVM

Major
47 Badges
Jan 5, 2005
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
For those of you who like to hold a grudge I offer these thoughts... I am looking to role play more than min-max. But it seems the space dwarfs can be a pretty powerful race according to my thoughts below.

- Subterranean Origin is the obvious choice.

Planet type? I suppose Alpine would be thematic but since they are cave dwellers I suppose it doesn't matter?

Ethics... Some degree of materialist is essential. Except for pacifist/spiritualist, I could see them being a small degree of all other ethics... Egalitarian or Authoritarian. Xenophobe or Xenophile, Militarist or not.

- It seems quite a few civics could apply
Master Crafters, Mining Guilds, Warrior Culture, Technocracy, Merchant Guilds, Functional Architecture, Meritocracy, Citizen Service, and perhaps even Byzantine Bureaucracy all seem apropos for dwarfs or dwarves.

Appropriate Traits... Cave Dwellers, Ingenious, Industrious, Thrifty, Natural Engineers, Intelligent, Strong, Conformist, Enduring, Resilient, Traditional
and Negative Traits... Slow Breeders, Non-adaptive, Quarrelsome (which is strangely the opposite of Traditional), Unruly, Sedentary

AND... the reptilian ships seem the most dwarf like to me...

Any other dwarf fans out there? Your input is welcome!

• 4Like
Reactions:
For dwarf ships I like mammal or imperial, both have a utilitarian function over form look.

Reactions:
I would think industrious and master crafters would be almost mandatory for proper dwarves. Warrior culture, Resilient and natural engineers seem appropriate as well.

I honestly have a problem trying to figure out ethics though....I think militarist for starters and I can see just about any other combos being explainable from a RP perspective.

For some reason I'm seeing trade and merchant vibes as well, so take the applicable tradition for that. Too bad there are no brewer jobs that produce trade.

For ships, I like imperial or necroid.

For those of you who like to hold a grudge I offer these thoughts... I am looking to role play more than min-max. But it seems the space dwarfs can be a pretty powerful race according to my thoughts below.

- Subterranean Origin is the obvious choice.

Planet type? I suppose Alpine would be thematic but since they are cave dwellers I suppose it doesn't matter?

Ethics... Some degree of materialist is essential. Except for pacifist/spiritualist, I could see them being a small degree of all other ethics... Egalitarian or Authoritarian. Xenophobe or Xenophile, Militarist or not.

- It seems quite a few civics could apply
Master Crafters, Mining Guilds, Warrior Culture, Technocracy, Merchant Guilds, Functional Architecture, Meritocracy, Citizen Service, and perhaps even Byzantine Bureaucracy all seem apropos for dwarfs or dwarves.

Appropriate Traits... Cave Dwellers, Ingenious, Industrious, Thrifty, Natural Engineers, Intelligent, Strong, Conformist, Enduring, Resilient, Traditional
and Negative Traits... Slow Breeders, Non-adaptive, Quarrelsome (which is strangely the opposite of Traditional), Unruly, Sedentary

AND... the reptilian ships seem the most dwarf like to me...

Any other dwarf fans out there? Your input is welcome!
It really depends on the dwarf flavour you choose. The OG Norse dwarves, the most famous LOTR dwarves, one of the 20 thousand other fantasy dwarves?
It's hard to assign civics and ethics without knowing the basis

you can't have every trait. I take master crafters in civic, and the rest depends on the spin I'm doing. Commie Dwarves will have shared burdens for instance.

For species traits usually I have Unruly as negative, sometimes sedentary, and enduring/traditional

Dwarves don't FTL like everyone else, they just diggy hole through the space time continuum.

• 6Haha
Reactions:
It really depends on the dwarf flavour you choose. The OG Norse dwarves, the most famous LOTR dwarves, one of the 20 thousand other fantasy dwarves?
It's hard to assign civics and ethics without knowing the basis
Which is why I gave a smattering of possible civics/traits. There is quite a variety of fantasy dwarves/dwarfs out there.

The one thing that just about all dwarf races seem to share is being crafters, miners, and a love of gold/jewels.

Dwarves have a warrior culture, but don't often wage wars to conquer new lands. Some are isolationist and very traditional, some are merchants, innovative, and trade their wares. It leaves some options open for sure...

Which is why I gave a smattering of possible civics/traits. There is quite a variety of fantasy dwarves/dwarfs out there.

The one thing that just about all dwarf races seem to share is being crafters, miners, and a love of gold/jewels.

Dwarves have a warrior culture, but don't often wage wars to conquer new lands. Some are isolationist and very traditional, some are merchants, innovative, and trade their wares. It leaves some options open for sure...
I wouldn't go for militarist ethics, as you said dwarves are more about being an unrelenting force defending their homeland than an expansionist power. Xenophobic/xenophile are also rather unfitting, in most settings dwarves have rather mixed relations with other races (typically okay with "good" races other than elves). I'd say fanatic materialist and, depending on your preferred flavour, egalitarian (probably oligarchy?) or authoritarian (definitely imperial)
For civics, Master Crafters and Mining Guilds are basically a must, almost everywhere dwarves are mostly miners and craftsmen. The third civic can really be anything you mentioned (I personally find Memorialists also quite fitting)
Traits are also quite hard to choose, although I'd say slow breeders, natural engineers and at least one of resilient/enduring are very fitting
Hope you like my input on the topic

And been grumpy. Most of it been mild, due most member of their civilisation been the straight talking industrious type. Not Warhammer level where it become their main trait to the point of making massive ledger of every slight.

Reactions:
And been grumpy. Most of it been mild, due most member of their civilisation been the straight talking industrious type. Not Warhammer level where it become their main trait to the point of making massive ledger of every slight.

You're talking as if strategy gamers don't have an extensive record of every time the AI or RNG has wronged them.

• 3Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
My latest space Dwarf empire.. not dwarves... but space deep elves.. they have gone to the ONE PLACE not corrupted by ignorance and daedra... SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

Yes, none of my colonies have pronounceable names.

20220514002356_1.jpg

(The beards didnt fit in the space suits so they shaved)

• 1Haha
Reactions: