• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

unmerged(45985)

Sweden the snabbmat nation
Jul 4, 2005
Okay, I know that I have two AARs now but I'm making this a bit narrative AAR with less of the in-game situation talk. There haven't been too many Finland AARs ever, so I'm filling that hole with this. I'm trying to maintain high quality and as I'm not too expirienced in narrative writing I would appreciate comments and advice from more expirienced writers.

Campaign: Awakening the giant, 1941
Objectives: Survival or Creating Greater Finland
Difficulty: Normal/Normal
Doomsday?: No

unmerged(45985)

Jul 4, 2005
I will be posting updates a bit unfrequently as I'm doing 2 AARs at the same time and my priority is the Japan AAR.

tankki20xi.jpg

A Babtism of Fire

22nd of June 1941. Somewhere between Mikkeli and Viipuri.

Heikki was standing in a line with the rest of his company as their lieutenant spoke:
“Men, today the Russians violated our peace treaty by bombing Helsinki and Joensuu! They say that we have declared war upon them together with Germany! But we have not! Now it is again time to defend our country against the Russian waves! Do not disgrace the men that sacrificed their lives for our independence in the Winter War!”
The speech was interrupted by an all-so-familiar whistling sound. Heikki dove into the dusty ground with the rest of them, only few men, veterans from the Winter War stayed in an upright position, laughing at the inexperienced young men. Heikki’s sergeant grabbed the back of his service jacket and tore him up from the ground:
“You’ll have enough time to grime up your uniform when we start fighting. Those shells weren’t meant for us. And they were way too far away to hit us.”
Heikki blushed and said embarrassedly:
“Sorry, but I haven’t learned to make difference between the dangerous shells and the non-dangerous shells…”
The sergeant, named Antero, burst laughing:
“There’s no such thing as a non-dangerous shell my boy. But we’re too far away from the front to get hit by those shells.”
Heikki decided not to say anything anymore and the lieutenant started speaking again:
“Germany has offered us their helping hand! They have allowed us into their alliance and we will receive military help from them! From today onwards we will stride forward along with our proud Prussian allies!”
A man next to Heikki spat to the ground and after mumbling some swearing words he whispered:
“Those bloody Natzis. They’re no good. You hear what they did in Poland…”
He didn’t have time to finish his phrase as their platoon’s commander came to them:
“Cut the crap private Vainanen! Now let’s get to the point. We’re moving out! Collect all your belongings and go to the supply depot and leave everything except the necessary items. This is your last chance to replace broken boots or uniforms with ones."

It had taken them one hour to pack things up. Everyone was given ammunition, rations, cigarettes, butter, sugar, a weapon, extra underwear, socks and shirt plus their eating equipment. In addition you could drag personal belongings in you backpack. Most took books, bread or knives and such.
They were herded to the road and then they marched. It was a hot summer day and everyone was wet with sweat in no time. The road was dusty and trucks with soldiers passed by often. Soon a truck passed Heikki and somebody shouted from the truck:
“Hey guys! Isn’t it a nice weather for a walk? I’ve always loved watching the brave men of Finland marching!”
The truck speeded past, and a loud laughter could be heard inside.
“The bloody third company got a truck! Those lucky bastards!” the sergeant cursed and some approving murmurs were heard from the column of marching soldiers. The march was surprisingly brief and they found themselves in a wooded area on a hill. They were about a 100 kilometres from Mikkeli. The men dug foxholes and trenches all day and in the evening they had enforced their positions nicely. If the Russians would come, they would be ready.

Heikki had sentry duty with the sergeant that night. They crawled down the hill and in the warm and annoyingly luminous summer night they reached the hill in front of their positions. Heikki was nervous and his sergeant was a bit nervous too. They went around the hill and as the moon was revealed from behind the sky they witnessed a horrible sight: Over twenty Russian tanks were being prepared for operation just five hundred meters away from their position. The tanks had been covered by the hill and had gone unnoticed. Some engines were on already. The Sergeant grabbed Heikki’s arm:
“Heikki! We must get back to the line!”
They ran through the night and behind them they heard engines roaring and tanks commanders yelling orders.

When they reached the wooded hill they started shouting:
“Everybody up! Tanks! Get up!”
The lieutenant came, with his jacket unbuttoned:
“What are you yelling here? I’m trying to sleep!”
“But, sir! There are tanks just behind that hill!”
“What!” Said the lieutenant with a high pitched intonation, he grabbed a man going past him from the shoulder: “Private! Get me the radio!”
The order was carried out and the lieutenant contacted the HQ:
“This is Lt. Pelkola speaking! We have at least two companies of tanks at our sector. Out.”
A rattling voice replied:
“This is HQ speaking have they made contact yet? Out.”
“No, sir, but they have turned their engines on, I’m expecting company in a few minutes. Out.”
“Man your battle stations and hold them! Out!”
“But , sir, we don’t have anti-tank weapons. Out.”
“You have anti-tank mines and satchel charges. If they were enough for us in the Winter War, they are enough for you now. Out.”
“But sir…”
“No buts! I will arrange an anti tank gun on your sector when there are any available. Out.”
“But…”
The radio remained silent and the lieutenant ordered some satchel charges to be handed out to strategic positions. The anti-tank mines weren’t placed anywhere as it was stupid to start guessing where the Russian would attack.

Waiting for combat was the most horrific thing in Heikki’s life. All he could think about was death. He tried to think about his fiancée at Vaasa, but it didn’t help. Instead, he started fearing for her life too. The roar of the engines came closer and they could see the silhouettes of the tanks against the dark red sky. Five of the tanks started moving towards the hill, rest of them going around the flanks. They could hear rifles firing as the tanks and the infantry were engaged, by the Finnish infantry. Now the five tanks were just near the woods and Heikki gripped his rifle tight. A machine gunners nerve couldn’t take the pressure and he opened fire with his Maxim. The sound was encouraging and a pack of Russian soldiers between two tanks was mowed down by the gun. A tank blasted blindly into the woods, hitting nothing but dirt. The Finnish soldiers rose from their positions and opened fire upon the Russians. The initial volley proved disastrous and a countless enemy soldiers were killed or wounded. The cries of agony and help from the wounded echoed in the woods. The tanks started moving closer and sweeping the ground with their machine guns. The tank in front of Heikki’s position was moving closer and the sound of its engines was overwhelming all other noises. The sergeant took an anti-tank mine and hopped out from his foxhole. Zigzagging he dived into a crater left by an artillery shell, he lay there and waited. When the tank drove next to him, he threw the mine in front of its tracks and then jumped back into the crater. Seconds later, an enormous explosion rang across the air, the tank had been crippled and a faint trace of smoke rose from its engine compartment. Heikki aimed at the tank’s hatch with his rifle. His iron sights were shaking violently because of his shaking hands. The hatch opened and a man’s head and torso rose from the tank. Heikki pulled the trigger, and the Russian fell sideways, toppling on the tank’s turret and blocking the way out of the tank. He could hear muffled shouts from inside the tank as the tank caught fire. Suddenly the Russian infantry charged. More men had arrived up the hill. And the tanks renewed their advance. The Finns fought hard, but they couldn’t take the armoured assault. Bodies from both sides lay in the foxholes and the air smelled of burnt gasoline. The situation was turning into a chaos and Heikki couldn't say if it was a Russian or a Finnish soldier in the foxhole next to him.

As the men started to retreat, Heikki dove to the same crater where his sergeant lay.
“C’mon we have to get moving!”
“WHAT?”
“I said we need to get moving!”
“WHAT?”
“Ah, nevermind.”
said Heikki and grabbed the sergeant from the waist. He resisted but Heikki dragged him as quickly as he could to the rear. The lieutenant was there organising the other platoon to act as a rearguard and ordering the rest to retreat northwest. I let go of the sergeant and we went along with the retreating men. We could hear lieutenant speaking to the radio:
“Sir, position of the JR 5 has been broken. We are retreating to secondary defence lines.”A rattling voice answered with and alarming tone of voice:
“The whole front has collapsed, they’re heading for Mikkeli, do not retreat to Mikkeli!”
The lieutenant nodded with approval and answered:
“Orders understood, out.”

Snake IV

19 Badges
Sep 24, 2005
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Diplomacy
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
Yes, there ain't much Finish AARs, but this one looks likeit will be a nice addition.

unmerged(47162)

Missing my avatar
Aug 4, 2005
very nice beginning! good luck!

unmerged(45985)

Jul 4, 2005
Due to problems with Japan game (having problems with strange teleporting South Africans) I updated this one again.

ryssa39lu.jpg

A Fool’s Mistake​

The Southern Front HQ, Helsinki, 28th of June 1941

Field Marshall Mannerheim was looking at the map. The situation was grave indeed. His reserves in Tampere had taken serious casualties due to the Soviet Union’s belligerent air campaign. Hitler and his generals were promising that the air activity would drop down to minimum when they would capture the airfields in Estonia. It would take too long for them to get there and Mannerheim was forced to accept the loss of those unfortunate men. But that wasn’t his worst fear. The Russians had broken through the thin defence lines in the Karelian peninsula and now had taken control of Mikkeli. Some people thought that the war was lost already, but Mannerheim believed that if he could rally his men they could last long enough for the Germans to arrive. He hated the idea of Hitler liberating Finland. That would put Finland into an awkward situation of owing a favour to the Natzis. The other worrying event was the Russian breakthrough in the Kajaani sector and the loss of Petsamo. His fronts were crumbling and he didn’t deny it. The only good piece of news he had received during the whole war was the breakthrough of VI Corps in the sector of Kem. If the Murmansk railway track could be cut in half, the deliveries of lend-lease goods to Russia would be hampered critically, maybe even stemming the Soviet advance.

While he was totally concentrated to the map and thinking about his next move, he heard a silent cough from behind him:
“Yes, what do you want to tell me, Lt. Martin?”
The young man in a neat uniform and shining black boots saluted the Chief of Staff; a bit blushed of being recognized even without the man even having turned his head:
“Umm, sir. We have received some very strange information from our air force.”
“Yes, go on.”
“The intelligence planes that flew over the Russian bulge (referring to the army that captured Mikkeli) saw very small troops concentrations protecting the roads to Viipuri and Sortavala.”
“Is that so… Do they have photographs?”
“In matter of fact they were finished just a few minutes ago and I’ve brought them to you.”

The young man handed a brown envelope to the Field Marshall and stayed where he was.
“Oh, dismissed" said the Field Marshall, focused on the photos.

The photographs were interesting by themselves. The enemy’s flanks seemed lightly defended and the photographs of the rear showed no major supply dumps or other clear evidence of large amounts of troops in the area. The main things, the crossroads, were very lightly defended, and it seemed that the Russian Generals were confident about the Finns staying in their position. He wasted no time in calling in his corps commanders in Helsinki. The discussion was short and in the end, all the men agreed. They would have to attack the Soviet flanks at Sortavala and Viipuri now, before they would be reinforced. This would leave the Russian army at Mikkeli without fuel for its tanks and without food for its men. The attack was scheduled to start tomorrow and the nimble Finnish armoured forces were summoned for the task…

The Front line, in somewhere between Viipuri and Helsinki, 29th of June 1941

Heikki had been up all night. They had been told about the attack and the vitality of speed in this operation. All he was told was that if it would succeed the ensuing Soviet situation in Mikkeli would be very much like the situation in the battle of Raatteentie (Winter War, Soviet divisions trying to cut Finland in two were encircled and destroyed, Finns got an unbelievable amount of equipment, the Soviets got their asses kicked) with at least five enemy divisions encircled. Their mission was to capture a crossroad, two kilometres from their current, position. The crossroad was heavily manned and it possessed an anti-tank gun. Their mission was to capture it and open the way for the Finnish tanks to the Russian rear. They were given extra rations, coffee and cigarettes, because they weren’t going to receive a warm meal in a few days.

The men were excited to attack after constant retreating and when the platoon commander waved that the platoon would go, everybody started moving in unison. They formed a chain, which was about thirty meters long. They were supposed to walk in the edge of the road which they were supposed to capture. The patch of open land was dominated by tall hay and they could definitely see the hill where the enemy position was. Everybody stayed low and in an hour they had managed to get five hundred meters away from the enemy positions. The sun was high and it blinded the Soviet eyes and Heikki could clearly see the blue flag rising from the otherwise yellow hay. He notified his squad leader. Their objective was right in front of them. The enemy line in the base of the hill, protecting the right flank of the position on atop of the hill. He could see smoke rising from the position, and he suspected that the enemy was having its lunch break.

His sergeant gave the men the last minute advice:
“Heikki, you go with Pasi and Mauno to the position’s flank. Try to lay down some fire with that submachine gun.”
“Yes, sir”
“Don’t call me, sir, please. Veikko, Paavo and Tapio you come from the front with me. And the rest of you, provide us with covering fire.”

Somebody blew into a whistle, a signal for the men to attack. Russians could be heard shouting questions at each other, confused of the strange noise. Their suspicions were cleared when the Finnish battle cry (In this case a mix of “RAAAARGH!” and “KUOLKAA PERKELEEN RYSSÄT!”*translated into DIE YOU BLOODY RUSSIANS*) sounded out, making them shiver with cold and fear. In a loose formation, the Finns erupted from the hay. The Russians were staggering with their weapons, unsure what to do. This was a costly mistake and the Finnish soldiers were halfway through to the positions. When somebody started shouting orders the Russians started firing back, but rising your head from the trench was stupid, as the single machine gun, deployed to the edge of the hay started spitting lead to the positions.

Heikki couldn’t hear anything except for his breath, he ran behind the two other privates, the one in front of him carrying a submachine gun with a seventy round drum clip. The enemy started firing at him and his mates, but it was inaccurate and their zigzagging moves made it even harder to hit them. They were about one hundred meters from the position when a machine gun opened fire. The man in front of him erupted into a mass of blood as he was decimated by a carefully aimed burst of the gun. Heikki dived behind the body, thinking: “Please Lord forgive me for this” as he placed the still bleeding corpse as his protection. He could hear the thuds and smell the blood in the air as he lay there still. His mate, who was alive, was wounded as he screamed for a medic. His screams ended by a loud burst from the gun. Heikki was trying to think. His brains were confused of the fear for death and the rattling noise of the machine gun. He looked behind himself and saw the answer. He had a hand grenade stuffed into his belt. He reached for it at grasped it. It was a “potato masher” grenade. He lifted his head and saw the muzzle flashes of the machine gun. He took a firm grip of the grenade and removed the metal ring in the side of the grenade. 1…2… Heikki jumped into a crouch and in a split second he threw the grenade. He didn’t have time to follow its flight as he found himself again in the bloody soil, but the screams were satisfying, he had hit something. An explosion, he could see a cloud of dust bursting from the machine gun’s position. He stood up and while running he grabbed the machine pistol from the hand s of his dead comrade. He ran and jumped to the trench, surprising a Russian soldier heading for the end of the trench. Heikki pulled the trigger and a hail of bullets was released into the Russian. He didn’t have time to wait for the Russian to die and he kicked him to the side and kept of going. He found the machine gun’s position and witnessed the death throes of its crew. He grabbed the Maxim and turned it ninety degrees towards the Russian flank. He felt immense anger for his dead comrades and he didn’t bother to aim when he opened fire to the Russian flank.

Seemingly a constant hail of bullets from your flank is quite demoralising, at least for the Russians, and Heikki was soon shooting at running enemies. They didn’t even make any attempts to kill him. They just ran. The belt of the machine gun ran out of bullets soon and Heikki started using his submachine gun. His short bursts killed two more Russians. The enemy’s resistance had crumbled so that Heikki’s squad was able to reach the position. Vicious hand-to-hand combat erupted, but the Russians had too few men to win. Soon the Russians had retreated to a nearby wood. The battle for the hill lasted for a few hours and by afternoon the Russians were either dead or in the nearby woods. As one of the company’s soldiers was an ex-artillery sergeant he took the anti-tank gun and started blasting the forest with open sights. A messenger was sent to tell the tanks to move out.

The Russians tried to chase the Finns from the hill, but their attempts resulted in the hillside turning into a mass grave. By nightfall the tanks arrived. A familiar voice could be heard shouting from atop the armoured column:
“Hah, you did the dirty work for us, eh?”
“Sergeant Penttinen!”
Shouted Heikki’s sergeant: “You bloody buggers got rides, again?”
“Yeah, these tank people are hilarious! You wanna hear what one of them told me…”

The bloody third company had slipped away from walking, AGAIN!

Sophianumg@mer

Major
63 Badges
May 5, 2006
  • Magicka 2
  • Semper Fi
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Majesty 2 Collection
Good luck on this AAR!!!
Playing Finland must be really hard...

unmerged(47162)

Missing my avatar
Aug 4, 2005
heh heh...great update! :)

HannibalBarca

Lt. General
41 Badges
Dec 27, 2005
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Divine Wind
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
Very good. I like it. And teleporters are a very devious trick often used by the AI...we all have to live with it sometimes.

unmerged(45985)

Jul 4, 2005
*WARNING* If you're a sensitive German and you don't want to read about some deeds made by german SS-troops (NOTHING TO DO WITH THE HOLOCAUST!!!!) do not read this one. If you're ok with it the just go on. Hope I won't hurt anyone's feelings or anything.

tankki39ae.jpg

A Humiliating Defeat, For the Enemy​

Somewhere in the vicinity of Mikkeli, 3rd of July 1941

The last few days had been full of horrific sights for Heikki. On the 1st of July the Russian troops in Mikkeli had been cut from supplies. The horrible weather made any aerial supply drops impossible and so Mannerheim had decided to make his move. From all sides the Finnish troops attacked and the result was horrendous. Heikki’s company was in the rear troops, taking any prisoners that were sent to them and mopped up small pockets of resistance which would have slowed the main advance down. There were Russian corpses literally everywhere. Men, shot up while trying to search for ammunition, food or whatever. The fact that the Russian morale wasn’t very good made it even worse. They were getting prisoners in swathes and Heikki had had to escort fifty Russians to the rear, alone and armed only with a rifle. Nothing happened, fortunately.

They were walking down a muddy road in a forest. It was raining, like in a cliché war movie. It seemed that God was pissing down on them and smiling at the same time. The rain drummed the deserted Russian vehicles left to the side of the road. Tanks, APCs, jeeps, trucks even tractors, left behind because of the shortage of fuel. He could see charred Russian corpses on top of a brewed up T-34 right in the middle of the road. They had to go around it and in the process Heikki got his feet nice and wet in the mud of the ditch:
“Oh, great!” he shouted in frustration. The rest of the soldiers watched him strangely as he had broken a silence that had lasted for a long time. The sergeant, Antero moved his submachine gun to his back and watched at his map. He watched it for a long time, turning around with his compass:
“We should be near the location soon…” he muttered to himself.
“Near what, sir.” asked a young lad, a replacement, but none of the others could even tease him of it as none of them had had too much fighting experience.
”Near the pocket of Russian troops, private.”
The private swallowed loudly and the column kept on going. It rained still and Heikki’s uniform was getting quite wet. He grasped his slippery submachine gun tighter as the sergeant took his weapon and started pointing out the enemy positions. They could be seen clearly, a log bunker and a series of trenches on a high ground in the side of the road. They hadn’t been attacked yet, because of the fact that this road wasn’t too important for the operation. Somebody in the Russian position had seen them too and a burst from their light machine gun made Heikki hug the mud, Just great!

His sergeant shouted:
”Heikki! You take the left! I’ll take the right! Others cover us!” Heikki just waved his hand in approval. After a concentrated volley from the Finnish troops Heikki dived from the road to the ditch. Splut. His boots sunk into the mud and when Heikki ripped his boots free from the mud they let loose a sound that reminded him slightly of a body function that produced bad smelling gases. He got going and his muscles got extra strength from the rhythmic sounds of bullets hitting the trees around him. Running as fast as he could, Heikki dove behind a large tree’s root. He raised his head just slightly above the root and aimed through his sights. He was in perfect cover and the light machine gun in the pillbox couldn’t shoot at him. He saw Russian soldiers aiming with their rifles, apparently trying to save ammunition. Heikki made sure that there was no mud inside his clip and then started demoralising his eastern neighbours.

As the first bullets cut the air the Russians started looking around, searching for the source of their scourge. Heikki kept on shooting. Short accurate bursts, that either kept the Russians’ heads down for a few seconds or forever. As Antero’s smg joined the chorus the Russians started surrendering. Their hands rose up ad they started shouting strange phrases in Russian, clearly in panic and fright. That was stupid. The men in the pillbox hadn’t finished yet and they considered their comrades’ surrender treason and opened fire. The bullets whipped through the Russians and blood could be seen bursting out of the corpses and forming little clouds that floated back to the ground. Heikki was appalled by their behaviour. He hadn’t seen anything like this before and in his rage his ran to the pillbox. They didn’t see him so he grabbed his grenade and threw it through the pillbox’s firing window. Then he rushed to the other side and barred the door made out of few planks with his own body. The screams were bloodcurdling and one of the men inside tried to get out through the window next to the door. Heikki grabbed his gun and sprayed the man full of lead. The grenade went off. Heikki could feel a sudden pressure against his back and a cloud of black smoke drifted out of the window. He opened the door and was met by a smell of burnt meat and the appalling sight of three corpses pierced by shrapnel.

Only one Russian had survived from the battle and now he was speaking to Heikki. They were having a break in the side of the road and Heikki had found out that the Russian was from Karjala, a part of Suomi ceded to Soviet Union in the peace treaty. He spoke bad Finnish but was very talkative and was already annoying Heikki a lot:
“Me Pjotr! Me a Finland! Just like you! The Soviet is bad! They force me to army! Me say that don’t want to go. They threat to kill me if I not go!”
“Oh, just shut up and let me smoke in peace”, said Heikki. A week ago he hadn’t smoked and swore to the name of staying away of cigarettes. Nowadays he smoked every time he had the opportunity. It really eased his nerves and made the shaking of his hands stop. The Russian was looking sad and asked:
”Can me smoke too?”
Heikki looked at him for a second and then sucked his cigarette inhaling a large amount of smoke. He handed over the rest of the cigarette to the Russian and exhaled the smoke through his nose.
”Pjotr thanks!” the Russian smoked the cigarette like he was in heaven: ”You have good smoke. Russian smoke not so good!”
Heikki watched the Russian for a second and then heard a sound of a motor. A German staff car pulled next to them. Inside it sat a German officer, a military attaché. He spoke fluent Finnish and wore the SS insignia:
“WHAT DO I SEE? A Finnish soldier fraternising with the enemy!”
Apparently enraged the SS-officer stood up from the car and grabbed Pjotr from the shoulder:
“You’re coming with me!”
Heikki watched the officer for a second and then shouted in anger:
”Hey, sir! What are you doing? That’s a prisoner!”
The officer dragged Pjotr to the forest and Heikki could hear Pjotr shouting all the way:
”Me not want to go! Me wants back to Finnish! Let Pjotr off!”
Then:
”What is you doing? Pjotr is a good man! Pjotr no do nothing wrong! Please no shoot! NOOOOOO!”
Series of shots from a Luger could be heard, and a scream. He could hear the officer rampaging through the forest and shouting back to the forest:
”Shut up you dirty Russian!”

Heikki was infuriated, he knew he could do nothing and after the officer drove away he went to the forest. Pjotr was lying in the ground, in his death throes:
”Pjotr do no wrong thing… Ungh!
Then he died. At that split second Heikki had formed his opinion of the Germans. And it wasn’t too sunny.

As they walked back towards their battalion HQ the column of tanks drove past them, a rugged band of soldiers sitting on them quiet. Heikki noticed that it was the third company. His sergeant watched at the column and shouted at the familiar sergeant:
”Not feeling so lucky anymore aren’t we?”
The man looked at him with a serious face and replied:
”That’s not funny you know. I guess that you wouldn’t be too happy after seeing twenty men die on one day…
”Oh, I’m sorry.”
”Just shut up will ya!”

The battle for Mikkeli was a smashing success for the Finns, they destroyed five Russian divisions, two of them armoured divisions. The amount of captured equipment was huge and the defeat crushed the rest of the military reputation that the Russians had left after the Winter War.​

Last edited:

unmerged(47162)

Missing my avatar
Aug 4, 2005
very nice destroying 5 divs! stupid SS...:mad:

unmerged(45985)

Jul 4, 2005
Didn't want to tell about three moths of doing nothingness so I skipped those.

soltut159gz.jpg

A Break​

The Finnish lines in the Karelian Isthmus, 22nd of October 1941

Heikki was sitting in the cold ground, drinking coffee from his cup. His beard hadn’t been shaved for a while and his face was itching annoyingly. It was quite cold and his brand new winter mantle was warm, but his face was freezing. He kept himself near the small fire meant for boiling water. His cigarette was still lit, between his two fingers. He took another sip from his cup and looked around him. Last night it had rained snow, but it was smelting away in the sun. The sun didn’t seem to warm anything else than the snow which was weird. The last three months had been quite quiet. They had tried to attack Leningrad three times, but the heavy fortifications had stopped them and the casualties would have been too high. From what he had heard, this was the only front where the battle lines had stuck into a static war, both sides contesting of a hill or a farmhouse or something. The lines never shifted too much and when the either side tried anything larger than capturing a hill the other side filled the attacking side’s positions with so much shells that you could think that tomorrow the clouds would spit teddy bears instead. He hadn’t gotten any letters from home, yet and the last time he had seen a man from another company had been a month ago. He had been focused in his thoughts for such a long time that his coffee had gone cold already and when he sipped it he had to spit it out.
”God dammit!”he thought and stuck his metal cup into the shrinking fire.
”That should get it warm. Meanwhile he smoked his cigarette. He could hear a horse closing their position and watched to the path.

A man in a mantle with a fur decorated hood and sheepskin boots rode to them. His left arm was in bandages and he held the leather straps in the other one.
”Oi! Where’d you get those fancy clothes?” shouted Heikki, the others laughing at his remark.
The man glanced at Heikki and replied:
”If you care to know, I got them from a dead Russian captain. Got wounded and was reassigned to messenger duty. Now I have some mail from you: who is Veikko Ylijärvi?”
The mail was given out. Heikki got three things; a newspaper from yesterday and a letter from his fiancée and a letter from his mother. Before he opened the letters he looked at the newspaper’s first page. The quality of the paper was second class as the good quality paper was reserved for the army’s use, but the paper was in good condition.

hs8oe.jpg

In middle of reading the paper Heikki felt something burning his fingers. He looked at his hand and saw that the cigarette had burned to the end. Quickly he threw it away cursing and then stuck his fingers into the cold pile of snow. The minor pain relieved and he took the two letters and put the paper into his backpack. He was trying to decide which one to read when his sergeant came up to him:
”Corporal, tell the men to get ready. We are moving off.
“For god’s sake can’t Mannerheim understand that Leningrad is impossible to capture!”
“Shut up! Don’t speak of our commander in that way. Just get the men ready!”
“Okay…”

The men were reluctant to go, but in a half an hour they were moving across a field. And nobody was shooting at them, yet.​

Last edited:

Snake IV

19 Badges
Sep 24, 2005
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Diplomacy
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For the Motherland
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
Hope you will take Leningrad soon before the Germans comes. It must be an entirerly Finnish operation.

unmerged(47162)

Missing my avatar
Aug 4, 2005
how many divs are you going up against anyway? good luck! :)

unmerged(45985)

Jul 4, 2005
hmmmm... I'd say that I'm up against something like 20 to 30 divs. The only problem is that the Soviets haven't done any large scale offensives after I beat them in Northern Finland. I'm kinda sad about that because Germany losing would be a lot nicer story than Germany pwnzoring the whole world