• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

blklizard

Field Marshal
28 Badges
Mar 7, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Victoria 2
Fight for Asia - A Bengal AAR (Death and Taxes MOD)

Seeing how very little people were interested in my Castille AAR, I assumed that people may want a nation that isn't so popular. I've decided to take on an Indian nation called Bengal. Hope you'll enjoy.

Difficulty: Normal
Lucky nations to Random, all other settings default
Start year: January 10, 1356
Mod: Death and Taxes v9.3

As mentioned in the title, I will be playing as Bengal. My goals are:

-Expand without going infamy limit
-challenge Delhi for control of India
-challenge everyone else for control of Asia
-westernise
-do whatever I want

Rules:
-no cheating (including no reloading)
-will only cancel missions if they are impossible
-did a little modification (crusades will only be 25% infamy and cleansing of heretics will only be 50% infamy)

For you people who wonder how the map looks:

eu336.png

Last edited:
Prologue - Part 1

eu336y.png

The nation Bengal begins its story is a very dangerous era. Peace will not last and wars will ravage the lands. Truces will be the only thing stopping from nations continuing warring against each other. India has been split into many, many different nations. In addition, there are two factions that will spark the wars in upcoming years. The Muslim and Hindu population refuse to acknowledge the existence of each other. The people believe that the only way to solve this problem was to conquer and force conversions. Religious wars will be tearing this great land apart. Massacres and genocides will be a norm and the only way to escape is to wipe out the other side. There is no middle path. This will be the story of India. Bengal, a seemingly insignificant nation, will hope to write this story.

In the times of war, heroes will come forward to bring their nation to the top while the weak will be removed from existence. Bengal has many challenges ahead of her. First, her population is all Hindus which will bring plenty of civil unrest with her borders. Second, she is facing many powerful neighbors that could wipe her out with ease. To her west, the powerful Delhi leads the personal union of six nations: Bihar, Multan, Nagaur, Gujarat, Malwa and Khandesh. At the tip of the Indian peninsula, Vijanagar leads the personal union of Gingee and Tanjore. To their east, heathen religion appear to be a plague. With few allies and many enemies, Bengal will be fighting for her life to earn herself a spot in this region. To survive, this nation must learn to use everything in her arsenal. Diplomacy and force must both be used fully. Even in times of peace, Bengal must be wary of her surroundings. It's never safe to assume that she will get any peace. She must, like the Bengal tiger, will either live or become extinct.

Can you hear that? The land we call India is calling for hope. The hope to unite her to go against foreign enemies and not against one's own brethren. Will Bengal be that hope? Has the Bengal rulers prepared enough to take on their challenge? Will they be able to overcome difficulties to earn their place in history? Or will they be merely be a stain found in a couple of history books? Will Bengal bring prosperity to the Muslim in the region or will she be another nation to be in ruins?

Only time will tell ...

Prologue - Part 2

Legend of Ilyas

There were many tribes living the Bengal region. One tribe was led by a chieftain called Ilyas. He was a charismatic leader who was well-respected in the region. His tribe, along with the other tribes, lived a peaceful existence. With their animist beliefs, they lived in harmony with nature. Conflict was a rare occasion. However, the peace and tranquility was shattered by an invasion by people in nearby lands. The Hindus were aggressor that forcibly convert the populace into Hindus. The people in Bengal region weren't spared either. They were forced to bow down before the invaders and take on the new faith. While there was not much resistance, Ilyas and his followers vowed to free themselves from these chains.

The Hindu invaders went to split the Bengal between 2 brothers. The brothers were kind to the people in Bengal and no conflict arose for many years. Ilyas, seeing that he cannot get the support of many living in Bengal, chose to bid his time and hope for an opportunity. One day, he went hunting in the forest when he encountered a Bengal tiger. With his bare hands, Ilyas was able to take the tiger down. On his way back to his village, he saw a blind man sitting in the middle of the road. This man asks Ilyas to give him the fur of the tiger so he can stay warm for the upcoming winter. Ilyas wanted to show off his prize in the village but he had a kind heart as well. Without any hesitation, he skinned the tiger and gave the blind man the fur. The blind man then said:

"Your future is bright, my son. Your kind heart will protect you from betrayal. Your strength will bring your enemies down on their knees. You will not need to wait any longer. Soon, the two brothers that poison the minds of your people will be gone. Then, you must lead your people to glory. Hindu is a venom that your people must avoid. Islam is path that will lead your people to salvation. Here is a small gift from you. Books on Islam and military tactics will guide you forward. Now go! Time for you to write a new history!"

Following the last words was a flash of light. The blind man was gone and, in his place, were books. Enlightened, Ilyas quickly gathered the books and began studying. As the holy man said, his opportunity came a year later when the two brothers died. Ilyas was quick to gather his followers and unified Bengal. He gave himself the title of Sultan and vowed to make his nation great. He changed Ilyas to his surname while calling himself Shah.

prologue1.png

Prologue - Part 3

With the rise of Shah to power, Bengal became a unified state. The unification was timed perfectly, as some would believe, by Allah. India was fragmented into many tiny kingdoms and states. Located in Eastern India, Bengal found itself in a peculiar position. To its north and east, kingdoms with Buddhism as primary religion looked poised to invade India. To her south and south-west, Hindu kingdoms aimed to drive Muslims out of India. To her west, Muslim kingdoms, like Bengal, looked to solidify their power in India. Surrounded by enemies, Bengal needed a powerful army to deal with any immediate threat. In addition, she needed to attack with precision and speed. With distrustful neighbors, a prolonged war only invited more war. To support a powerful army, Bengal needed a strong economy to support it.

prologue2.png

Bengal was a simple state like many others. Her primary income came in the form of taxes. With her populace being Hindus, tax evasion was a common trend and this directly hurt the economy. Conversion can minimize tax evasion but, that too, required large fund which just wasn't available to this state. The enemies of Bengal weren't willing to let Bengal build her economy up. Therefore, Shah was forced to use what he had to make the best out of the situation. Production and trade efficiency simply have not reached a level to be very beneficial to the state. Two choices were available for Bengal to improve her economic situation: to convert the populace and build up infrastructure or expand and collect more taxes from newly conquered lands. The first option would benefit the state in the long run but the decision would take a long time to implement and will hurt the state's military capabilities. The second option could solve money problems early on but long wars can potentially empty the state's treasure to the point where it would become bankrupt.

Instability only made matters worse for the state. The people of Bengal have not all recognized Shah as their leader and tensions are high between each tribes. A conflict between any tribes hurts the state as a whole and puts her at the mercy of her enemy. Fixing issues from within while taking on external enemies were the challenges facing the first ruler of Bengal. The unified state required a strong ruler and, should Shah fail, then the state could very easily break into fragments and absorbed by neighboring kingdoms.

Prologue - Part 4

prologue3p.png

As a newly formed state, many tribes still hold power in their regions in the form of Federalism. Large tribes control the provinces. During times of war, they were expected to provide troops to the state while having their own militia to defend against the enemies. With each tribe providing their own men and supplies, war exhaustion was handled a lot better as the government were able to deal wit the populace directly. Instability is also better managed with the populace dealing with tribe elders that they are familiar with. However, these tribes demanded the state to lower tax in return. In addition, they also have more control of their production income. These demands had to be met for the tribes to train and provide soldiers for war.

Aristocrats, in the forms of elders in tribes, hold much of the power. Bengal still cannot fully cut itself from its traditional way of ruling. Changing this system would result in instability. In addition, the soldiers, loyal to each tribe, may become very inefficient and could potentially revolt. With the privileged few holding power and land, the state was required to promote serfdom. Peasants, known as serfs, were required to work the land for the owners in return for protection and basic subsistence. These serfs made the aristocrats of Bengal very rich and thus making them powerful in the state. Some say that the a few aristocrats can surpass the sultan in both wealth and soldiers.

The populace of Bengal were very religious ever since the arrival of Hinduism. The sultan, Shah, was a dedicated Muslim and that created a rift between him and his people. The Hindus within Bengal refused to give up their religion and, on more than one occasion, fought back with arms. Unable to tolerate such heathens, the state began a series of policies to force convert the populace. These policies put the tensions at an all time high. The state even went as far as redistributing much of their resources for clergies to speed up the conversion of the population.

With the invasion of Hindus, the idea of trade also got introduced to the tribes of Bengal. Previously, the tribes were able to produce what they needed and stored the surplus. With new and exotic goods entering Bengal, trade becomes a very appealing source of income. At least, this is the case for the merchants within the state. The merchants of Chittagong become so rich and powerful that they were able to 'persuade' the state to build a of Center of Trade there. Being one of the few Center of Trade in India, merchant from all over India and parts of Southeast Asia came to earn a profit. The taxing of merchants have made the province of Chittagong the richest in the Bengal state.

Based on traditional beliefs, the Bengal tribes believed the larger army always wins. Even after the unification of Bengal, the state still based their military on these beliefs. They saw that the system haven't failed them in the past and thus it should work for the present. With a couple of key ports, Bengal needed both an army and a navy. Seeing that more battles will be on land, the state decided to shift more in that position. Despite many of her advantages, Bengal was still a newborn unsure of her future. The government were hesitant to strike and preferred a more defensive stance against their neighbors.

Read through the Prologues, should be interesting. Hope other Hindu states won't declare an untimely war for religious liberation, if you going to start expanding.

Glad I got someone on board. :) You're right about the Hindu states but luckily I got the awesome holy war Casus Belli. I'm more worried about Delhi though. They are the biggest obstacle in my goal in uniting Hindustan. Their personal unions just makes them the boss of India right now.

Chapter 1 - Taking the First Step

"My sultan, did you call me?"

"What are you doing in here? Did I grant you permission to enter?"

"I'm sorry, Sultan. Please forgive me."

"Forget it. I had a dream."

"A dream?"

"Yes, a dream. I dreamt myself riding on horseback leading my army in a siege. We outnumber the enemy 10 to 1. I destroyed their main army barely 3 months into the war and began a siege."

"What happened next?"

"I woke up. Just as my men were ready to break into the city, I woke up and you entered."

"This must be a good omen, sultan. Do you recall where it is?"

"Let me see. During the siege, I sent a messenger in the east direction."

"Then this small kingdom must be west of us. Let me get the map."

Advisor exited to retrieve a rather large map. He rushed back with a big smile.

"My sultan, I think you were talking about Tirhut. A small Hindu kingdom just west of us."

chapter1a.png

"How can you be so sure?

"I was looking through some old documents yesterday and I found that your grandfather once owned those lands."

"You mean that Tirhut is rightfully mine?"

"Yes, sultan. The land is rightfully yours. Your dream confirms that."

"Prepare the men! It is time for us to reacquire our lands."

The advisor rushed out to send news to the soldiers.

chapter1b.png

Tirhut was a tiny kingdom to the west of Bengal. The sultan of the kingdom only thought about how to get women. The news of the invasion from Bengal threw the court into chaos. Tirhut's sultan has neglected diplomacy and, with no allies, had to face the Bengal army alone. The sultan was a coward and would rather hide in his palace. After much pleading from his advisors, he finally agreed to lead his men. However, the sultan decided to set up camp as soon as his army reached a hill near his city. He waited there as prayed that the enemy would not show up. However, Shah did lead his army there and was eager to reclaim his land. It was said that the Tirhut army routed before Shah even gave command for a charge. The siege of Tirhut was short and, within 5 months of his dream, Shah has acquired another province.

chapter1c.png

Chapter 2a - Gaining Momentum

"Well, that was quick. Five months and I got another province. Advisor, where should we attack next?"

"Sultan, should we worry about our economy fir...?"

"What are you babbling about? I couldn't care less about the economy and I don't even know what it is. Anyways, you haven't answered my question."

"Looking through the old documents, it would appear that we have a claim on Cachar in Assam. They are northwest of us."

"Time to attack. Prepare the men!"

"Shouldn't they get some rest, sultan?"

"What rest? We didn't even have a war last time. Tell them that we will get some real action. We will, right?"

"Sultan, it would appear that the Assam is busy fighting their northern neighbors. I would say this would be an easy victory."

"And I was hoping for a grand battle fit for a sultan. Tell the men to just prepare for a quick war then."

"Understood, sultan. About the economy,...."

"We're going to war. Stop talking about this economy stuff. I doubt it's even important."

chapter2av.png

"My sultan, it would appear that Assam has allies."

"Allies, that's a joke. I'll crush them too."

"They have more men than us though."

"That was a good joke. Now I know why I picked you as my personal advisor."

"I'm serious, sultan."

"If that was the case, how outnumbered are we?"

"They have 1000 more men."

"You should've said that earlier. I thought they double us in men. I'll take on their extra 1000 men myself. I guess it's pretty even."

"Shall we head for Cachar first, sultan?"

"Of course, i want see my new province firsthand."

"What is this? We didn't even meet any enemies. Are you sure you declared war on them?"

"I'm sure, sultan. Maybe they are busy with their other enemies."

"Who's that in the distance?"

"It appears to be an Assam messenger."

The messenger approaches and gives the advisor a written document.

"What does it say?"

"My sultan, Assam is willing to give up Cachar for peace."

"They are such party pooper. I'm surprised they took the initiative."

"Actually, I sent them an peace offer soon after we took Cachar."

chapter2b.png

"Maybe we should call you sultan from now on."

"I apologize, sultan. However, we have a more pressing issue at the moment."

Chapter 2b - Gaining More Momentum

"A pressing matter? Wait, let me guess. We need a larger army. I've been thinking about that. Last time I checked, Bihar has more men than us. Recruit troops on the capital immediately. Get 2 thousand men. I don't like it when my enemies outnumber us."

chapter2c.png

"My sultan, I'm not talking about our army."

"What are you babbling about then?"

"The economy!'

"That stuff again. Well, send orders for recruitment anyways. Back to this economy stuff, what is it?"

"Economy determines how much ducats we have. The better our economy, the more ducats we have every year."

"I like ducats. So, what's the problem?"

"We're losing money. We need to fix our economy or else we won't be able to pay and maintain our army."

"That is a pressing matter, isn't it? What can we do then?"

"We have two options in front of us. We could either mint or...."

"What's this mint you're talking about?"

"Mint means that we make our own ducats."

"That's a great solution. Implement it...."

"Well, there is a downside to it. We could gain inflation which will drive prices of everything up. Plus, people are more likely to revolt."

"I thought my people love me. Why would they revolt?"

"If food prices rise, more people will be starving. Starving people revolt."

"I see, what's the other option?"

"We could expand and take more land. More land means more taxes."

"Let me guess, there's a downside to this too."

"Yes, sultan. More land means larger armies and that means larger maintenance costs. We can only support our army if we keep expanding and will face more economic problems if we stopped our conquests."

"Looks like both options are pretty bad. I'll take the expansion option then. By the way, are we still at war?"

"Yes, sultan. It would appear that Nepal and Kamata are still fighting us."

"Where is Nepal and Kamata?"

"They are both north of us, sultan. However, Nepal is further north and their provinces aren't worth our trouble. As for Kamata, they're our neighbors and they have two provinces."

"Excellent, let us attack Kamata then."

"My sultan, our army is now larger than Bihar's. However, I strongly urge you end this war quickly to start saving up ducats."

chapter2d.png

chapter2e.png

"Okay, I'll do that after I get the two provinces from Kamata. What's the progress of our sieges there?"

"I think. Oh look, one of our messengers is here."

"Great sultan and advisor, we have gotten the two provinces from Kamata."

chapter2f.png

"Good, now we just need you to send Nepal peace. I have nothing else to gain from this war."

Messenger rushed towards Nepal capital to send the message of peace.

"What's taking so long, advisor? I believe I'm being very kind to send Nepal a peace."

Messenger enters with a message.

"Great sultan, the Nepal king sends a message to you."

"Well, what is it?"

"Um..., I'm not so sure ...."

"Well, spit it out already. I don't have all day."

"Tell the Bengal sultan that the slaves at my court have more courage than him. If he wants peace, he can come and beg before me. I just might grant it to him if he asks nicely."

"You are dismissed, messenger!"

Shah wasn't going to take on the insult. He vowed to make the Nepal king pay. He led his entire army of 15 thousand men to meet the Nepalese army in Sikkism. The Nepal king, Jayarajadeva, was arrogant when he received the news of Shah's arrival. He actually believed that Shah was going to bow before him and beg for peace. When Shah's army rushed onto people, the Nepalese army was taken by surprise. After barely two days of fighting, the Nepalese army was wiped out and Jayarajadeva was captured. Shah believed humiliation was the only justice fit for him. Thus, they made the Nepal king bow before him and beg for peace. A white peace was agreed and Shah returned back to his capital. In his brief jihad against Assam, Bengal has acquired 3 provinces and continued to strengthen its position in India.

chapter2g.png

chapter2h.png

Chapter 3 - Gaining an Ally

"How's the economy coming along, advisor?"

"The three provinces we got prove to be a great help. However, we are still squeezing everything we have to maintain our armies."

"More conquests, I guess."

"I think we should focus on diplomacy."

"What are you talking about? We're powerful as it is. We can only become stronger if we conquer more."

"There are powerful nations near us as well. For example, there's Deccan to the southwest of us. They would be a great ally."

"How do we get this ally? Do we need to send gifts? I thought we're already short of ducats."

"That is true. It wouldn't hurt if we send a diplomat there."

"You're talking as if Deccan is willing to ally with us. If I remember correctly, they are Shiites while we can Sunnis. Surely you don't think they'll accept us as allies."

"You are right for once, sultan."

A foreign messenger entered.

"Who are you and what business do you have?"

"Great sultan, I'm a diplomat from Deccan. We wish to form an alliance."

Shah looked at his advisor in disbelief.

"We accept this alliance. I hope that both states will prosper from it."

The Deccan diplomat left.

"Looks like anything can happen, sultan."

The diplomat reentered.

"Sorry sultan, I forgot to mention something."

"What is it?"

chapter2ir.png

"We need your help in a war. We are protecting ourselves from the Timurids."

"Tell your sultan that I would gladly help."

"Thank you, sultan!"

The diplomat left for good this time.

"Sultan, surely you're not thinking of ...."

"Don't worry! I doubt we can reach the Timurids before the war is over. I intend on staying on the good side of Deccan."

"That was brilliant, sultan."

"It's about time you realize my brilliance. Now, let me rest."

"Yes, sultan."

Nice updates, hope the hordes don't get too big to ruin your quest for Asia.

Thanks! In Death and Taxes mod, there are no longer any hordes. All the hordes now have the same government ( I think it's tribal despotism or something like that) as The Mamluks.

Nice Expansions. I guess I should stop being a lurker and comment now. If its not too much, Id like a full screenshot of your nation....... Please :p

Sorry but I no longer have the saves from then. However, I did use the starting map and drew out my borders after the first bit of expansions. Behold the Bengal Fish!

bengal1.png

Assam (burgundy nation south of Tibet) annexed Kachar (dark blue) while I annexed Tirhut. Cachar was originally part of Kachar so I liberated them from Assam. The brownish nation to the west of Assam was the foolish Kamata whom I gladly took as a snack.

Chapter 4 - Southwards We Go

chapter4a.png

"Sultan, you wish to see me?"

"I'm getting bored, advisor.The Timurids can't reach us and we can't reach them. There must be something we can do."

"A missionary just arrived at our court, sultan."

"A miss-a-what? Are they foreigners?"

"A missionary, sultan. They come from Judea with the sole purpose of converting people to Sunni."

"They are wasting their time. I'm a Sunni myself."

"That's true but your populace aren't."

"What are you talking a.... Right, they're still Hindus. What are you suggesting?"

"Hire the missionary to convert them."

"How long will this take?"

"They might still be converting a hundred years from now."

"We have to pay them, right?"

"We pay a large sum upfront, then we pay they small sums monthly."

"Therefore, they get paid as long as the populace isn't converted."

"Yes, sultan."

"I wish I were a missionary. I'll be rich by now."

"But sultan, your position is greatly respected."

"Respected to the point that people want my head. Anyways, let's do this. Where should we send our soon to be very wealthy friend?"

"Howrah is a good location."

chapter4b.png

"By the way, sultan. Our army is now larger then Bihar's again." (Sorry, I forgot to take screenshot of finishing accumulating money and getting the mission against Bihar again.)

chapter4c.png

"That's great news! What's next?"

"We need a larger navy than Orissa's."

"What's a navy?"

"I forgot that you never seen the sea, sultan. Navy is a bunch of boats that fights in the sea."

"You lost me there with the sea part. Forget it, I assume it's like an army."

"Yes, an army on water."

"If Orissa was, say, wiped out, our navy would be bigger, right?"

"Yes, sultan. However, ...."

"Prepare my armor! We're having a Jihak or whatever you call it."

chapter4d.png

"It's a Jihad, sultan."

"Why are you still standing there? Prepare the troops!"

"Yes, sultan."

"Sultan, we took over Tripura, they wish to ...."

"Annex them. Their province will make the Bengal fish look complete."

"Fish?"

chapter4e.png

"You won't get it. How's our troops doing in Orissa?"

"Orissa wasn't much of a challenge to us. We have fully occupied them."

"Annex them then!"

chapter4f.png

"We can't, sultan."

"Are you disobeying me?"

"Never, sultan. It's just our God forbid us to annex them. However, we can just let them keep their capital."

"Do that then. Sometimes I wonder why I follow my god."

"What did you say, sultan?"

"I said 'I wonder why god is so forgiving with these heathens.'"

chapter4g.png

"There's some bad news, sultan."

"What is it this time?"

"Apparently, Orissa still has more boats than us after this war."

"They won't after I take their capital. Attack!"

"We have a truce, sultan."

"Another rule God made?"

"Yes, sultan."

"Curses!"

Last edited:
Nice, keep going! Your ruler likes to attack alot!;)

If you've noticed, my ruler is more militaristic (in stats) than anything else. Doubt he enjoys doing paperwork. What else would you suggest him doing to kill time?

Chapter 5 - An Unexpected Turn

"I'm bored. Advisor, can we go to war yet?"

"Not yet, sultan. We need to save up some ducats before we start another war."

"Is there anything interesting happening?"

"Our missionary converted the populace in Howrah."

chapter5a.png

"Good riddance! Now I have more funds for war."

A few days later.

"Sultan, I think you got your wish."

"What do you mean?"

"Deccan is attacked. Should we assist them?"

chapter5b.png

"Who are they up against?"

"The Vijayanigar, sultan."

"What a stupid name. Who are they anyways?"

"They are a state located south of Deccan. They are the strongest Hindu state in India."

"How strong are they?"

"They have a larger army than ours and we're not even considering their allies."

"Accept for now. I just might get something out of it. As for now, let me take a nap."

"Don't you want to head for the battlefield, sultan?"

"Can't a sultan get some rest for once. Leave me alone. You can take care everything while I rest up."

"Yes, sultan."

"Who's the future sultan? You are! You're going to grow up nice and strong."

"Sultan, I managed to get a white peace with the Vijayanigar."

"Can't you see I'm busy? My son is in my arms. He's going to be the future sultan. Show more respect to him!"

"Yes, sultan."

chapter5c.png

"Who's going to be the great sultan? You are!"

"May I be dismissed, sultan?"

"Who's going to conquer India? You are!"

Few months later.

"Sultan, Allah has told us to create a fleet."

chapter5d.png

"What's a fleet?"

"A fleet is a navy."

"Do we have the funds?"

"No, sultan."

"Then it can wait."

Few days later.

"I have grave news, sultan. The sultan of Deccan has died from injuries from the war."

"The war with the Vijayanigar? They still haven't finished?"

"Yes and no. The war concluded with the Hindu state taking lots of land. In addition, he died without an heir."

"How unfortunate. However, they are not having my son. He's mine!"

"You see, sultan. They heard about your greatness and believe that you should rule over Deccan as well."

chapter5e.png

Chapter 6 - Tragedy Comes in Pairs

Dear diary,

I feel so lonely in this palace. It seemed like yesterday when the sultan and I received news of Deccan submitting to his rule. However, that seemed like distant news now. I fear our state is now in deep trouble and I am at a loss as to what to do. I wish God can show me the way but I haven't received any signs. I wish he can just give me something. Anything would be nice. As I'm waiting, the palace remains cold and empty.

I admit that I thought the sultan was a fool when I first met him. Who can blame him. His origin was with a Animist tribe that, not so long ago, had no contact with the civilized world. However, he learned to govern Bengal. Slowly but steadily. As the months went by, I saw him a born leader. His abilities as a general was rather impressive. He knew how to lead his men. Despite his lack of understanding, he still made an effort to improve the economic situation of our state. Overall, he exceeded expectations. At least, he exceeded mine which were set quite high. With the personal union, it seemed that he was destined to unite at least half of Hindustan. Unfortunately, this great man was taken away by a horrible illness. Our medics tried their best but to no avail. The sultan's final words were: "Assist my heir in making Bengal stronger. You're a man sent by God to assist me but I don't have the luck of staying alive long enough. Now is my son's turn to learn from you."

chapter6a.png

Everyone in the state were at a loss with the sultan's death. They, like me, believed he was destined for great things and a long life. While he accomplished the former, he failed the latter. His death was a great loss to the nation. His son was so young and we feared our enemies would take advantage. Apparently, that was the least of our worries.Only 2 years into the regency, the heir suddenly got very ill. Try as we may, we were unable to save him.

chapter6b.png

Now I sit alone. I failed you, my sultan. I should've been more careful about your heir's health. I have let you down. Our state is in disorder as we try to find a new leader. I know that God has planned great things for this nation. As for me, I think my time is up. I have done my duties and, with my failure in assisting the heir, death is the only thing awaiting me. Sultan! I wish to see you again but I feel too much shame. Please forgive me! Goodbye!

Advisor