• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well at least you don't need to worry so much about HRE politics while you focus on the Omega.

Those are some random provinces the Omega controls. Hopefully they won't be able to march over land to you, although blockading the Bosphorus is always an option.

The HRE has been rendered pretty easy to handle, for sure. I was able to easily maintain the favor of most electors (pulling pretty far ahead of Austria) even after the Great Electoral Shift.

If I were the Omega, I would probably try to conquer, at the very least, a land bridge around the Black Sea. It wouldn't technically be necessary with the absolutely staggering amount of ships I can build, but it would make Central Asia more valuable at the very least.

Episode 16: Unleash the Beast

SPOILER ALERT: I play Europa Universalis IV in this episode.

We're at war with the Omega, and as I began drafting this, I wrote "This could go many a way." Not sure what you were thinking there, self.

To be honest, before 1650, I'd say I was playing a relatively standard game. Sure, the sudden death of the Mamluks and Ottomans cut off one of my major trade and expansion options, but we found substitutes (I.E, we leech from the Iberians). Meanwhile, Christian Europe marveled at the disinterest of Omegans in their lands, and they tried to proceed as normal. They probably think of it as a huge advance for Christianity, of a sort.

Khup3v3.png

They probably realized something was up when the Solomonids started taking demonic regnal names, but by then they were too preoccupied with the New World to really care.

Anyways, I bring in an admiral to handle the initially important naval side of the war and unpause. All bets are officially off.

US9z0Ab.png

Fighting fleet is the fightingest fleet of all the fleets on the third fightingest planet in the solar system! Those Martians, though...

Immediate fear sets in, as the Omega shows off about half of their immense fleet. I guess I might need to use the traders as screens.

77RRe7L.png

We can only hope they are cruise ships and not battlecruisers.

My allies are idiots, as they immediately send small land expeditions against the Omega. Maybe I shouldn't have called them in, but you never know what support they might be able to lend.

zSLgqTT.png

Er, the French are doing sort of well, so far. I occasionally accuse the Switzerland of being at least part French themselves, but since they never reclaimed their Savoyard cores in this game, they probably aren't, at least not in this timeline.

Meanwhile, I intercept one of the Omegan fleets, stuck without an admiral and actually smaller than what I can muster! I hope I can pull this off.

JfSt2Jt.png

Could Ludovico overcome the overwhelming force of the great (No Leader)? (No Commentator) doesn't really know.

The results turn out to be amazing. I sink almost the entire enemy fleet while only losing a single trading ship.

zlwpirH.png

(No Author) wrote a poem lamenting the loss of the Armada. Few dared recite it, for the demoniac languages of the Omega are very bad for the human voicebox and lungs.

One ship is captured instead of capsizing, but it's a galley, so I don't even care, and I scuttle it immediately. I still need to expand the fleet further, but naval superiority might be an obtainable goal at this point.

In the interest of staving off any potential drone rebellions, I hire a theologian. Because the Omegan unrest penalty is so powerful, this doesn't completely negate it, but my high Catholic tolerance and such should hopefully offset it a bit. Reformed provinces obviously don't have quite as much acceptance, but they may gradually disappear, since the centers of Reformation have stopped working. This also costs me one of my main sources of papal influence, but as a large Catholic nation with a ton of cardinals, is that really such a bad thing?

VXH3Axa.png

Domenico would probably say yes.

Amusingly, a lady theologian offers her services, but since she has the exact same admin point bonus (+2), I decide to take the prestige boost instead. I'm hoping Domenico doesn't immediately roll over and die, but you never know...

SYI6AsX.png

"I went to university for some years and all I got was this stupid T-shirt!" - Elena Cornaro Piscopia

Our first land battle is all but assured as the Omega starts marching through Austria. It begins to dawn on me that the Omega might have a problem with getting enough generals to properly lead their troops.

EG4pBCO.png

I think (No Leader) might have bitten off more than he can't chew with his lack of mouth, head, and body.

This might win us some battles someday. For now, Omegan troops pour through the Bosphorous and we first clash in Friuli.

FcLHqMw.png

Italian troops are disciplined, especially the infantry, but they're not that disciplined. They are at least lead.

We lose the first battle with approximately equivalent casualties, but (in what would be a running gag if it was actually, you know... funny) France reaches the northeastern parts of Italy at about the same time as we have to run away, so a second salvo breaks part of the Omegan army. Turns out they were dumb enough to split their forces in two (one seeks to besiege Gorizia), and both parts are soon stackwiped!

qhHc0eR.png

Bayonets didn't do them much good.

I do not know why the Omega has settled on a 32 heavy/47 light/32 galley shape for its Mediterranean fleets, but it is emphatically not working out for them. Neither are their leaderless hordes advancing piecemeal into the Balkans. In order to accumulate warscore, I decide the best result is to let Omegan troops slowly cross over into Europe proper, alternately blockading the Bosphorous as needed to prevent too many from invading Italy. If you've ever played as Byzantium, you might recognize something of the anti-Ottoman strategy in here, but the scale here is admittedly a bit different, and deleting Omegan soldiers from the game several thousand at a time may gradually erode their enthusiasm.

France has a different and more audacious plan - they land in Algeria and apparently intend to invade the entire country.

4xfBAQx.png

What fortitude! What stupidity.

They also simply walk into Greece and start besieging its towns, but the Algerian expedition seems ill advised, as another part of the Omega's continental troops (along with some oddly non-annexed Maghrebi vassals) overwhelm the French through sheer numbers.

nEfUDj7.png

I don't think France is going to start a colony in Algeria any time soon.

The Omega also launches their first amphibious invasion of Italy at this point. I don't pretend to understand their goals, but the fleet responsible for landing the troops has more heavy ships than its predecessor. I intercept the Omegan army in Lucania, and yet again the Omega's lack of a general screws them over.

NwuPMJI.png

We also have an advantage in pure artillery.

I believe I'm going to give the Omega a boost to its free leaders (and maybe give them some generals by event) in the next major revision of the mod. There's going to be a lot of balancing changes that should make the Omega deadlier by far. One problem is that the Omega, like all AIs, is kind of bad at managing a scattered transcontinental empire. Humans are better at prioritizing this sort of thing, but if they're like me they often find it very annoying. This is why I've never attempted a game as the United Kingdom in Victoria 2, for instance.

It is now that I manage to finish my Economic Ideas.

ynmJhxj.png

Not bad, given how many goods we produce.

I pick up Weapon Quality Standards in order to further establish superiority over the Omega. Between everything, This is less like fighting a futuristic horde of super soldiers and more like mowing down mindless zombies (which isn't without its appeal). I guess that's another area of revision.

UWqifhP.png

We'll smash them up good.

Anyways, I've accumulated a LOT of warscore against the Omega, especially since my brazen allies have admittedly been pretty helpful. However, if I'm not careful, they might run out of resources or get couped by the Omega. Next episode, I'm going to attempt my own invasion of Africa; I even upgraded my transports in anticipation of this!

4rM4fD8.png

I had to. Flautists make poor sailors.

If I manage to succeed quickly, I will have to find a way to extend this war and further enhance my triumph. I don't want this part of the AAR to end too quickly, even with 1.12 fast approaching.

Next time: I summarize the plans I just gave you in one terse sentence.

Reactions:
I was a bit worried when I saw the size of the Omega navy, but you handled it perfectly. Naval superiority will clearly be quite important.

Well you can't fault the French for trying. It would have been hilarious if they actually occupied that province in Algiers. :p

I pick up Weapon Quality Standards in order to further establish superiority over the Omega. Between everything, This is less like fighting a futuristic horde of super soldiers and more like mowing down mindless zombies (which isn't without its appeal). I guess that's another area of revision.
As noted before, I think a flat +30% increase to morale would help immensely. And more generals, that's a good point.

I was a bit worried when I saw the size of the Omega navy, but you handled it perfectly. Naval superiority will clearly be quite important.

Well you can't fault the French for trying. It would have been hilarious if they actually occupied that province in Algiers. :p

I merely took advantage of the AI's refusal to form a real naval doomstack. If the Omega fought like I did at sea, I wouldn't have lasted even one episode.

Also, the French did manage to occupy Mitidja; they merely got driven out very soon afterwards.

As noted before, I think a flat +30% increase to morale would help immensely. And more generals, that's a good point.

I think the morale boost would be most effective once the Omega stops taking disproportionate casualties in fights, but it's on the list of things I test during the balancing cycle after the release of Common Sense.

Episode 17: The Paper Tiger

Picking up immediately where we left off, we apparently have to wait for the transports we built to finish repairing. Luckily, part of my buildup to 1650 entailed constructing naval facilities all over the Italian Peninsula, so it'll go slightly faster than it otherwise would.

I don't think we'll be getting the 80% victory rate we need in order to get a ticking warscore bonus. My allies keep sending miniscule expeditions deep into Omegan territory - for instance, this French expedition of 8,000 men who can't possibly siege down provinces fast enough to be anything but a light snack for the Omega. By the time I notice them, they've already lost half their strength.

OZBiGDf.png

This raises more questions about the military AI than it answers.

The way the "Show Superiority" wargoals work is kind of questionable; you only need to win 80% or more of the battles in order to be considered victories. However, you could lose your entire army in one battle and still gain up to 25% ticking warscore if you intercepted enough partial enemy stacks while they were coalescing, and then avoided any sort of combat afterwards. The rest of the warscore wouldn't be in your favor, especially since battle score actually depends on the size of the battles, but it's still pretty silly.

The Omega begins to send armadas of fresh troops to Anatolia.

dzd8cMr.png

They probably got levy'd in Africa or the Levant. Then again, this isn't Victoria II, and troops raised anywhere are equivalent.

After they break a few small siege stacks, France sends their main blob of troops through the Caucasus and heads ever further north. I'll have to check on them later; it's time to attempt our naval invasion.

fOhHtuD.png

Little did I know that at the time I would lose track of them after they hung a left at the Volga steppe.

My first division of what will eventually be 90,000 troops lands in Rosetta, in the hopes of reducing attrition by initially sticking to farmlands.

iNnl6Ik.png

Each percentile of attrition is worse than the last.

Before I can do anything, though, the Omega promptly slams some doomstacks into me, and my army is encircled and shattered in the Egyptian desert.

0uvqwI8.png

They will not become faiyumous for these exploits.

Furthermore, Omegans are trying to invade Italy again. That's a problem! For whatever reason, the Omega has military access through a disturbingly large amount of countries, so even sinking hundreds of their ships has not dissuaded invasion as much as I would hope.

ClHeNlh.png

The Omega should be conquering these countries, not merely walking over them!

Anyways, we need even more discipline than before, so we're implementing the absolutism now. It's a national emergency. That makes it okay, right?

ZuGVMNx.png

The Omega does count as a 'national emergency', I think. Maybe government changes should cause stability hits like they did in EU3?

This does allow us to immediately and thoroughly win some battles I don't think we'd otherwise have won.

QeFuayW.png

Or was it the French? We're more disciplined than they are now.

Also, now that I think about it, one benefit of the Omega's vassal cloud is that it provides them with some spare generals in a pinch. This doesn't always actually help them, since their vassal troops tend to be markedly inferior, but it's certainly an option they can take advantage of.

New plan: Congregate in Tunisia, which is much closer to where we need to invade, therefore giving the Omega less time to scramble huge stacks before I can consolidate my own. The plan gets a little screwed up because I end up clicking on Bizerte instead of Tunis proper, but that's close enough for me and it ought to be for the rest of Italy as well.

While I'm doing this, an Omegan legion decides to walk through the Balkans and besiege Salento. I am utterly confused to why this would ever be a good idea, and France understandably stackwipes it.

o9x5TfS.png

Hyperbole aside, the AI should not expect confusing human players to be a viable strategy.

More Omegans die in tragic lobotomy accidents before I can establish my troops in Bizerte. They won't be there for long, though. We begin our dash to Daimetta; casualties from coastal desert attrition are excessive at best.

AWNqflb.png

However, due to reinforcements, the total strength of the army is not affected.

Our monarch is so moved by his general's ability to elicit a forced march that he dies. I immediately have to think up a new and even snarkier way to reference these deaths.

After this, the largest Omegan army yet coalesces, this time in Serbia, and seeks to slaughter us all. Looks like we have to rush!

8ir5Aap.png

For all my superior morale and discipline, the Omega does sometimes keep its morale up pretty well by simply having tons of troops that aren't in active combat.

We besieged Daimetta pretty quickly, even though I was able to get 60,000 of the 90,000 I wanted in the area; it's still far more than enough to assault a level 2 fort. Suez falls about as fast before the Omega starts sending troops lead by random Berbers.

hVnoRyF.png

Walk like an Egyptian, and your legs will give out twice as fast.

Now, I need to protect these two provinces for a little bit so their garrisons can recover; I don't want them falling the moment I leave for Gonder. As in all things, France joins me in Egypt. Perhaps a Napoleon seeks glory in some sort of futile crusade? You never know. Either way, it helps, since my manpower is beginning to decline rather drastically. I started off with about 160K in my reserves and was able to compensate for the occasional stackwipe somewhat effectively before then. By the time I'm established in Suez, we're at 77K.

I spend a little less than a year staving off increasingly worried Omegan troops. As usual, I have only been able to inflict about 2x-3x casualties on average, while the Omega outnumbers me by a factor of 4-5. Furthermore, their manpower is through the roof, and they are drawing ever closer to military tech 22, which will give them a massive advantage for about 5-10 years.
Cls4OuJ.png

Having to retreat would certainly be an issue.

When a stack of almost 100,000 Omegans (plus maybe some random Armenians) shows up near Jerusalem, I decide that the Suez canal provinces have had enough time to reinforce. It's time to rush for Gonder. Manpower is now at 61K.

To prevent myself from slamming into other dangerous stacks, I have to detour through the Nile, and one time I even have to use a retreat to gain more ground. The Omega, for whatever reason, doesn't seem to understand what I'm doing, and orders its own troops to go around the Gonderblob.

06oYgHs.png

Now THIS is Napoleonic!

In a hilarious irony, the Omega never bothered to build extra fortifications in its Ethiopian core. If you had a forcelimit of 500 or so, would you have done so? I think it's a worthy question, but I don't let it prevent me from assaulting Gonder...

28kQKJv.png

"Hey, can we get some water from the lake?" "No. It's... uh... evil water."

Disturbingly, my entire infantry core collapses on this fort. They've presumably taken some nasty casualties from the previous assaults, combat, and attrition alone, but this is a bit much for a level 1 fort. Manpower is now at 53K...

aGyeQjG.png

Holy crudbuckets!

France then accepts a white peace with the Omega, after 9 years. While this was expected, this still puts an even stricter deadline on my work. Everything comes down to this!

It takes two assaults to bring down Gonder after this. The first takes them from 175 to 96 men (presumably horrific, soulless beasts bristling with cannon where lesser creatures have limbs and claws), and only the second assault brings Gonder down. With both wargoals achieved, I look at the peace treaty options. I am able to take the provinces I desire, and even have enough warscore to demand war reparations!

NGN4HHq.png

Wow.
If the Omega knew how soon the momentum of the war would turn in their favor (I'd estimate 1-2 years), they would not have accepted this. I'm also lucky in that I did not mod in greater war enthusiasm for the Omega; that could've been devastating. But they don't know that, and I send the peace treaty, and they accept it...

We have won where even I feared we would not. I leave the game running for a bit just to see how much the Omega is paying us in reparations - it turns out to be a staggering 40 ducats a month. Thusly, does this AAR technically come to a conclusion in 1659, after only two chapters of fierce warfare. I was planning to expand that, but things were beginning to get pretty desperate towards the end. While I could reasonably continue onwards, factor after factor conspires to make this a fool's errand.

1. Remember how I kept talking about the upcoming DLC and patch? I don't feel like continuing a 1.11 AAR after something THAT intense. Furthermore, I'll need some time to actually make the Omega 1.12 compliant, and time after that to implement the wealth of changes I want.
  2. Were I to continue, the Omega would probably immediately declare war on me when the truce expired. I believe the results would be broadly similar - overwhelming naval victories and bloody land warfare rapidly bringing me to about 40 warscore, followed by me making whatever concessions. The Omega has presumably been nerfed, even if only slightly, by their European and Asian holdings all going overseas, but it's not going to weaken them that much. It would be difficult for me to play, but I don't think it'd make for very captivating writing.
  3. I'm moving households very soon. I expect the preparations to take up increasing portions of my time in the interrim. The relatively large bloc of free time I had beforehand was a partial motivator for the update blitz.

I will, however, write a postmortem at some point; it might even be tomorrow if I'm feeling up for it. This is most likely going to be a summary and analysis of the various gameplay issues I and the Omega underwent, and how I suspect future changes would affect other people's Omega sessions.

Reactions:
I think they should rename their capital from Gonder to Mordor because you walked right in and brought the Omega down. Even with that massive army, the Omega forgot to watch its own backyard. Never know when some hobbits might sneak in with a ring of power to throw into a volcano. :p

I'm almost certain that defensiveness impacts casualties from assaulting so that would explain why you took so many losses in the assault.

I think they should rename their capital from Gonder to Mordor because you walked right in and brought the Omega down. Even with that massive army, the Omega forgot to watch its own backyard. Never know when some hobbits might sneak in with a ring of power to throw into a volcano. :p

The Kingdom of Italy would prefer not to label itself hobbitlike, but you have a point.

Nice ending. Bit anticlimactic, but only a bit ;).

E: The loss of 16k infantry at a lvl 1 fort was kinda surprising.

You surely mean into that evil lake :D!

I'm glad it at least ended in victory. It certainly would not reflect well upon me if I could not beat my own creation, although there are some that say it would at least reflect well upon the Omega.

I'm almost certain that defensiveness impacts casualties from assaulting so that would explain why you took so many losses in the assault.

That is definitely useful information. If I knew how to reduce casualties from assaulting in ways beyond merely slamming more troops into the area, I would probably assault forts more often.

Epilogue

As I suspected, "beating" the Omega is in part a question of trying to match its ability to blob, but in part a question of knowing how to exploit the AI. The fact the Omega blobs so heavily and erratically does mean it often has difficult managing its troops, and I am very lucky that it was not able to concentrate its power in the way that a human player easily could've.

Even if it weren't for this, there are going to be a great deal of balance changes for 1.12 and Common Sense. My overall goal is to make the Omega more geographically compact and coherent as a state, as I feel this will make it stronger and more competent without me having to pump up its forcelimits or combat ability. Empowering the Omega is a balancing act, though, since I don't want it to be overly difficult on lower difficulties. Ultimately, I want a significant portion of the difficulty to come from the Omega's behavior, and perhaps less from flat out bonuses. Sometimes, I get the feeling that Paradox wants the same from all countries, but they at least have more access to the actual source code of Europa Universalis IV and are therefore theoretically more able to make such changes.

A few changes would be certain even without the patch and DLC. First of all, like bbqftw suggested, the Omega is recieving a land morale boost. While this won't necessarily help reduce casualties against ultra disciplined armies such as that of Prussia, it may give them more time to reinforce their armies. They will receive a higher leader limit, and I may give them occasional free generals and conquistadors, similar to how they receive explorers. I also might ensure they take Offensive and/or Quality ideas, but implementing too many of these may or may not lead to insane anti-player snowballing. Maybe you feel dirty when I talk about restraining the Omega, but you might thank me some day.

A couple of AI changes are confirmed as well - I'm taking suggestions from both the mod thread and the AAR thread. For instance the Omega's tech group is being adjusted from (100 - 100) to (120 - 120), to prevent them from making protectorates in the Old World. Creating mass megaprotectorates might've worked in 1.9, but the reworks to liberty desire in El Dorado could play havoc with that. Besides, I want the Omega to administer as much territory directly as it can. If I can give the Omega an administrative efficiency buff, I'll do that too; it'll probably be no more than 40% at best since I don't know where it's actually capped. Furthermore, the Omega will definitely switch to all militarist personalities at some point, although whether this kicks in immediately or after the "overwhelming" threshold requires further testing.

A few thoughts on how the Omega will interact with the new 1.12 subsystems:
  1. The Omega is going to have huge gobs of mana to spend on development due to its tech costs, and huge wads of cash to spend on buildings. I'm not sure whether I will give the Omega a boost to its development costs, but it's not out of the question.
  2. Subject interactions might be interesting if the Omega creates colonial nations; the odds of it doing so are somewhat marginal, though, due to there being no guarantee that it will spawn in a place where it stands to benefit from such. This is probably not going to require much modding to deal with, though.
  3. The new fort system, had it been present in 1.11, would potentially have lead my AAR to a much less victorious end. As it is, the Omega may be able to afford an exorbitant amount of active and high level forts. I will keep an eye on this and may look for ways to adjust if it makes the Omega too onerous to attack.

As for future AARs:

• I have played a lot of Darkest Hour since finishing The Australia Project. While I enjoy the game, I'm not particularly interested in modding it for the continuation, although I do seem to remember someone working on a V2->DH converter. This means that the sequel will most likely be played with Hearts of Iron 4, assuming I don't abandon the AAR approach entirely... which, admittedly, is an unlikely proposition. Currently, I want it to take the form of a straight up novel about Liam's father Gregory, and his experiences serving in the Australian military. There'll be a definite emphasis on whatever happens in Indonesia, and I do expect to release any relevant mods publicly, and furthermore to seek community opinion on that.
  • I have some ideas for further EU4/V2/DH AARs in the interrim; whether or not I act upon them depends (rather obviously) on my overall time and interest levels. The most developed concept of these is the long-promised "Death to False Metal", featuring EU4, Hesse, and every metal injoke I can throw in. I'm also interested in doing something for V2's Divergences mod, perhaps involving the whole "permanent revolution" concept being thrown around with the Dual Monarchy and trying to liberate as many nations as possible as a relatively homogenous nation state.

Nice reading, I'm looking forward to your future projects so don't forget to advertise them in your old threads ;).

And metal-themed AAR?

dethklokheader_580px.jpg

Dethklok agrees.

Sometimes you can give the AI all keys to victory and it will still fail ... such is code :p
That was surely an interesting ride for sure despite the lack of real climax toward the end as you approached Gondor (but that Minas Tirith assault sure was fidel to the books. What ? we are not talking about the same thing ? :D ).

I had begun some time ago your Australia project and I shall finish it one day !
And Divergences' AARs are always welcome although the "permanent revolution" is quite hollow for the moment and surely will be for some times (only Scotland can rebel, but well you can always free Europe without events ! :p )