• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

One Proud Bavarian

The Confused
138 Badges
May 23, 2016
Hello there!

I was very excited to find out about this Open Beta and am even more excited now after having tested it.

The Positives:
  • Game runs beautifully - We had two large sessions with ~20 players each time. We used multiple hosts and played one save to see whether this bliss would last a bit deeper into the game - it did!
  • Hotjoining works beautifully in the sense that it is consistent. It even worked when I decided to let the game run while somebody was hotjoining. The joined on the old date and then caught up with the rest of us without any hiccups
  • I was in Observer mode and desperately attempted to crash the game (selecting various character in quick succession, trying to take actions as an observer and many other things) - The game did not crash or desync once while I attempted this
  • the game runs at a good speed and players are reporting only slight action delays sometimes (such as moving a rally point sometimes taking a second after clicking) - This is something I expected, but to a greater degree as it is quite normal for example in HoI4 for actions to be significantly delayed
  • Custom rulers produce no stability issues at all from what we can tell
The Negatives:
  • All in all, we had a single desync caused by someone reforming their religion. This has already been reported here on the forums.
  • We also have experienced very long join times (sometimes beteen 7 and 12 minutes). This has already been reported here on the forums.

Now, there is an aspect that I have not mentioned yet: I have seen reports - from my own group, but during sessions I was not a part of - that sometimes people would get stuck loading into a lobby.
I am not sure, but seeing as I was not able to reproduce it, I suspect that there was some sort of user error involved rather than the game having issues. It currently appears that only the host can see an accurate % of how far the save transfer has progressed, which could wrongfully make people believe they are stuck. I sadly do not have any files that could help you devs verify this either way, my apologies!

This brings me to the last section of this post - Requests that go beyond the observed stability.

The Requests:
  • An option to activate an alert for the host that the game is being slowed down by a player's potato - Currently the host can only see people that have fallen behind by hovering over the date and by seeing it themselves by the game speed going down. Old games (like CK2) had constant and very irritating alerts that could not be turned off, but were nonetheless useful to be on the case of speeding the game up again. Having the option to receive a popup similar to the "PAUSED" popup would be great for hosts.
  • ALTERNATIVELY, a setting that has the game revert to whatever speed the game was on after the offending player has caught up would also do the job.
  • An option to activate an alert when a player hotjoins. I mean this specifically for sessions that utilise the setting that lets people hotjoin without having to ok it. I do want people to join in immediately without me having to ok it, but I would still like to know about it so that I don't have to be confused about why the game is paused automatically in case the player didn't inform me that they were hotjoining.
  • It would be useful for non-hosts to see the % of their save being loaded in. This is of course especially important with the current long loadng times, but generally could keep players from wondering whether their game crashed since it only reads "Initializing"

And that's basically all. The requests are very much not part of the stability test that this beta is, but I still wanted to bring it up as the QoL they would bring could be extraordinarily helpful.

Thank you all for your hard work and thank you for bringing CK3 MP to life via this outstanding update!

Cheers
OPB

• 2Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
I agree with everything you observed, the Open Beta is a brilliant initiative that foster players' involvement and needs as much feedback as possible.

It would be useful for non-hosts to see the % of their save being loaded in. This is of course especially important with the current long loadng times, but generally could keep players from wondering whether their game crashed since it only reads "Initializing"

At first, this made me think that the Open Beta was not properly working. Since the Open Beta's success is dependant on the number of players, and this might make some of them think that the multiplayer doesn't work, I reckon this is an important request.

Reactions:
Hi!
Big thanks for this insanely detailed post, info like this is invaluable to us!

Regarding the issues you mentioned, we are aware of the one about the long load times it is already in our bug database, but regarding the desync, there's no way you have logs related to it available? That would mean a lot as it makes troubleshooting much easier for us. If not, we'll try and track it down somehow in the future I'm sure.

I don't want to promise anything with regard to the requests, but I'll make sure they are known at least!

Reactions:
Hi!
Big thanks for this insanely detailed post, info like this is invaluable to us!

Regarding the issues you mentioned, we are aware of the one about the long load times it is already in our bug database, but regarding the desync, there's no way you have logs related to it available? That would mean a lot as it makes troubleshooting much easier for us. If not, we'll try and track it down somehow in the future I'm sure.

I don't want to promise anything with regard to the requests, but I'll make sure they are known at least!
The desync from our test sessions so far is already reported here incl. logs: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stability-is-great-but-there-are-a-few-bugs.1471522/

I hope this helps!
Thank you for your work!
I hope to have some more tests over the upcoming weekend.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: