Federation rework - Questions

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
  • Will it be possible to change federation type, once one is founded. For example, if you are founded as a regular type, and a corporate government joins, could you reform as a trade league federation type?
  • Could you give us a preview/list of the different federation bonuses each federation type has? Right now information is super scant about this aside from the entry level passive; would be nice to have a full list, like you did with origins.
  • Will there be disadvantage for higher levels of centralization? Or is there always incentive to just centralize more and more?
  • Could we get an example of more federation laws? Also fairly scant info here
  • Partly a federation, partly an origin question: the origin that lets you start as a federation--is there anything to prevent your allies from just instantly boxing you in? Also, will different empire types have a different starting federation from this origin? ie: Corporate authority starts as a trade league federation
  • Will there be a "force to join federation" casus belli?
  • Will highly centralized federations require a vote to leave the federation (and failing that a war)? Or is this purely reserved for hegemony federation type?

Last edited:
According several former Paradox employees, the whole Stellaris project is ran by only a dozen of very underpaid developers.
Other non-dev people supposedly on the project are mostly described as a bunch of idler freeloaders.

Now, former eployees are not always the most unbiased source of information about the working conditions of a company.
However, the picture painted there fits very well with what has been delivered in terms of support of existing features of the game, expecially in regards of fixing long-standing issues that are crippling the game to the point of making it unplayable for most.

Since how is structured a company directly affects the game, I for one would like an official comment about how accurate are the problems described.

Can we have an answer about that?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may have been answered before, I'm not sure. I've only been keeping up with some scraps of news relating to federations.

Will we ever be getting the ability to have more control over our subjects? For example, if I'm playing as, say, democratic crusaders, and I end up vassalizing an authoritarian slaver empire, I would like to be able to force them to outlaw slavery. Or, to go even deeper, force them into making it so only their primary species and my own are allowed full citizenship in their empire. As the overlord empire, I don't feel like I have much control over my subjects.

This would be more of a RP centric change as opposed to balance, similarly with the residence versus citizenship feature.

1. Currently the War in Heaven creates a single large Federation for the Non-Aligned powers. This can result in the destruction of every federation that the "head" of the Non-Aligned Powers isn't a member of. This causes problems as-is (the destruction of federation fleets, diplomatic impact from leaving existing federations even between empires that both joined the Non-Aligned league, etc) and with more complex and differentiated federations that build out over time this impact will only increase.

How will the War in Heaven interact with the new Federation system? Will it be moved to no longer a federation, but (perhaps) a vote by the Galactic Senate, allowing existing Federations not to be torn apart?

2. Diplomatic options with Federations can be limited - no defensive pact is normal enough, but you cannot, for example, invite a federation into a war you are planning (or, at least, I couldn't last time attempted on this patch). Is this being addressed?

3. Federations can limit the diplomatic options of their members. How does this present itself to non-federation members in the case of (for example) commercial pacts? Is it possible to do diplomacy with federations as a whole, and vice versa - "united fronts", such as pooling the use of envoys and diplomatic favor in regards to issues, or decide on certain things (commercial pacts, etc) for all members at once?

4. There is a longstanding overflow bug handling relative power for diplomatic interactions; this can tear apart federations in certain cases. Has this bug been addressed, or will Federations continue to be vulnerable to sudden dissolution due to power imbalance?

5. Can federations interact with primitives in a specific manner? Currently new empires spawned from primitives cannot gain significant research boosting without becoming a vassal, but that's the sort of thing a Federation might take an interest in, for example.

6. The AI currently has its own ideas about what it should be constructing for the federation fleet. Will it be possible to (say) create a federation fleet setup in the Fleet Manager and have the AI follow that to fill in the fleet in concert with your planning (if you're the head) or have it be presented to you somehow for you to fill in (if you aren't the head) to keep it more coherent? Or some other way to influence how the AI builds ships for the fleet?

7. There is an issue where the Federation Fleet needs to be upgraded repeatedly to actually upgrade to the correct designs. Has this been addressed?

8. It is very easy for the Federation Naval Cap to be wasteful; with 3 empires each needs ~330 fleet capacity and the diplomacy tree and you've maxed out the contributions. Has the Federation Cap been changed in any way, particularly given the introduction of a Federation type organized specifically around the fleet?

9. For the Federation origin, the teaser image showed a possible situation where the Earth empire could box in one of the other empires. Will there be any changes to hyperlane generation for this origin to prevent situations where one empire will have no directions to expand in?

Zi0m58PMJx0I1FMIMHFA7EWL1vI2ClddP2CRVMaeGPLtWX6UHTE3hIhX9I9GdcbcE_M71tYq4QdZkb38UWb0y54gSHMcwFusdRBbO0KIKoMf7x2DZp2O0qEQE0cC-hWWXE_HMMAX

Will vassal creation be more customizable?

For example it is really painful that as a Megacorp, I can only create other Megacorps.. It would be nice to be able to select even the civics of the new vassal state + it could have a unique origin too.

Will you change or add any vassal mechanics to the game such as for example setting how large will the tribute be ,or being able to elect or force a new leader upon them, or managing their state production output like having them build ships for you or fund your armies at their expense ?

About the Federation Origin, how are you going to handle a start of multiple Megacorps? Wouldn't they be rivals for Trade?

Also, would the AI actively try and get more Trade since it'd be that much more advantageous?

Last edited:
I like the addition of indentured servitude to further customize my empires. My question is, Are you planning to take citizen and slavery types further, either with more types or customization? For example, an extra menu in the species screen that unlocks when a species is designated as slaves, that can lock them into specific jobs. i.e This species is chattel and can only be miners, only be farmers, or work as anything, etc.

Accidentally posted this in the wrong thread before.

Current federations are basically entirely centered around the federation fleet. If you control it, you're getting all the benefits of the federation, if not you're probably better off leaving. There's some deterrance involved in having powerful federation overlords but once the photon torpedos start flying, even powerful allies are inconsistant protection at best. This leads to the strange situation where tiny nations are often better off NOT joining a federation with massive military, while huge expasionist military powers are encouraged to have a tiny ally that they just ignore all game for a passive 500 naval cap. Any plans to tweak the combat ai so we don't get allies sending single ships into huge fleets for no reason? Otherwise being the little guy in a hegemony will remain strategically questionable.

Now, obviously federations are going to give a LOT more benefits than just the federation fleet for the president, but since the fleet is so important in the current version I'd like more information on how it's going to manifest in the expansion.

Which types of federations actually get a federation fleet? Is it just martial alliances? What about galactic unions, or research/economic feds? Do some federation types get better fed fleets than others? Is the existance/size of a fed fleet a policy choice the fed members decide on? Is there a size hard cap that you won't be able to exceed even if you try to spec your fed into building the fed fleet?

How does control of the federation fleet work? Is it the current all or nothing "whoever's the president has total control"? That's a pretty bum deal for everybody else, is the idea that fed fleets are a strict downside for everybody who isn't the presient, offset by other federation buffs and the opportunity to take control of the fleet later on?

Will the Senate and voting mechanics also be worked into governments that have parliamentary or other voting mechanics?

Accidentally posted this in the wrong thread before.
Which types of federations actually get a federation fleet? Is it just martial alliances? What about galactic unions, or research/economic feds? Do some federation types get better fed fleets than others? Is the existance/size of a fed fleet a policy choice the fed members decide on?

I don't know the answer to your other questions (and share some of them), but from the earlier dev diary :

All federations can build a federation fleet, but only Marital Alliance and Hegemony start with one:
Fleet Contribution
Most federations will not start with the ability to build a federation fleet, as their fleet contribution will start on “None”. The Martial Alliance and the Hegemony do start with a “Low” fleet contribution, however. The Martial Alliance is also able to change its fleet contribution law to “High” as early as Medium centralization.

The existence and size (or rather, naval cap contribution to) of a federation fleet is a policy choice, and the range of choices varies between federation types:

It is possible for federations to customize some aspects of its rules. In some cases, federation types also have access to different laws at different points. A Research Cooperative can never have the highest level of fleet contribution, and they also require higher centralization to increase their Fleet Contribution.
upload_2019-10-31_15-24-36.png

Last edited:
According several former Paradox employees, the whole Stellaris project is ran by only a dozen of very underpaid developers.
Other non-dev people supposedly on the project are mostly described as a bunch of idler freeloaders.

If you are out of the loop, you can find what I am taking about here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/...shit_i_was_considering_going_to_work_for_the/

Now, former eployees are not always the most unbiased source of information about the working conditions of a company.
However, the picture painted there fits very well with what has been delivered in terms of support of existing features of the game, expecially in regards of fixing long-standing issues that are crippling the game to the point of making it unplayable for most.

Since how is structured a company directly affects the game, I for one would like an official comment about how accurate are the problems described.

Can we have an answer about that?
Dev Answer: "We can't complain."

The teaser video talks about creating a federation as part of a treaty ending a war. Does this suggest that we'll be able to form federations with our enemiesas a way to end wars? Would that be a CB, or something chosen only at the end of the war?

Imma Try It Out before I ask questions about federation's. Most of my questions come with sectors AI management. What improvements being done to it. Are you playing to go back to customization but with limits. Do you plan to remove ground combat from the game altogether as it's pretty much boring as hell. do you plan to add unit scaling in games so I don't have to use mods.

1. Can Machine Empires become part of anything else than the "normal" federation type. I'm talking about vanilla MEs and Rogue Servitors here.

2. Can Determined Exterminators join Machine only Federations? They are genocidal but get diplo towards metal people.

3. How do Driven Assimilators fit into this? They technically aren't genocidal. Can they join federations? If yes, are there limitations?

1. Can Machine Empires become part of anything else than the "normal" federation type. I'm talking about vanilla MEs and Rogue Servitors here.

2. Can Determined Exterminators join Machine only Federations? They are genocidal but get diplo towards metal people.

3. How do Driven Assimilators fit into this? They technically aren't genocidal. Can they join federations? If yes, are there limitations?
You know DA are already allowed to join or even create federations, right? Indeed, even DE are allowed to create federations; they just won't do so except with other machine empires.

Also, joining any kind of federation have been stated multiple times by now to be open to anybody who isn't locked out of the entire mechanic. It's just that you can't create a federation of a specific type without having the prerequisites.