Features from Imperator or EUIV that you would add to CK3 ?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ahistoric across 99% of the map. I don’t want Paradox wasting time on an entire navy system just for a tiny corner of the map.
I don't think the mediteranian and northern seas represent 1% of the map. Sure, at the begining the altlantic and nothern seas didn't have any major naval battles. But that changes around the 1000s, which means more then half of the game's timeframe had major naval battles for most of the map. And considering we already have a tech system that simulates the various parts of the middle ages, a naval system would be more of a requierment rather then ahistorical.

Despite what some people think, humanity didn't forget how to build war ships for 500 years and the seas of the middle ages were full of naval engagements with various technologiea specific to the era being deployed. The middle ages were not just about kinghts and the HRE.

Reactions:
Because attrition won't cut it?
Why not?

Because they appear and disappear at will, they dont interact with other game mechanics, same reason monarch points are called mana in eu4
Are you saying that any unit that that's not permanently on the map is "magic"? Are the armies magic because they "appear" when you raise them and disappear when you disband them?

I don't think the mediteranian and northern seas represent 1% of the map. Sure, at the begining the altlantic and nothern seas didn't have any major naval battles. But that changes around the 1000s, which means more then half of the game's timeframe had major naval battles for most of the map. And considering we already have a tech system that simulates the various parts of the middle ages, a naval system would be more of a requierment rather then ahistorical.

Despite what some people think, humanity didn't forget how to build war ships for 500 years and the seas of the middle ages were full of naval engagements with various technologiea specific to the era being deployed. The middle ages were not just about kinghts and the HRE.

Naval battles of the era were mostly ships defending harbours from land invasion fleets. What kind of naval warfare system would you like to see in CK3 that would represent that?

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
There were also naval battles over trade (basically piracy/commerce raiding). Indeed, these were probably the most important European ones (both in the Mediterranean between the Italian city states, and in northern waters with the Hansa).

Which...also doesn't work, because there is no representation of trade at all.

Reactions:
Because men at arms pack such a punch and attrition in pagan land didn't work in ck2 to deter holy warring tribals
Are you saying that any unit that that's not permanently on the map is "magic"? Are the armies magic because they "appear" when you raise them and disappear when you disband them?
There's a monthly cost to men at arms, buildings in provinces give levies and men at arms, your subjects give levies depending on contract opinion or prestige rank
Naval battles of the era were mostly ships defending harbours from land invasion fleets. What kind of naval warfare system would you like to see in CK3 that would represent that?
Byz having a navy that's expensive to maintain
Scandis having a weak navy but ahead of some others getting it
Merchant republics having navies but mainly merchant vessels rather than professional war ships
Thassalocracies along the indian ocean without penetrating too far inland most of the times

Reactions:
What I really want:
Imperator Rome - the map!!!

What should be considered:
Some kind of blend between the dynamic trade systems of eu4 and Rome. Seems necessary if we are to have merchant republic eventually, and the implementation of both naval trade and the silk road in ck2 was... left me wanting...

What I never, under any circumstance, want to see:
Mission/focus trees

Reactions:
From EU 4:

I'm not to sure how it would work but something akin to historic friends would be nice, or more or less the systems they have in place to help a death spiraling nation. AE is also nice. As well as missions trees, may help the AI who afk or aren't to active want to do some stuff as well as give the player something to do. Maybe Hustie as well. just a few things off the top of my head.

Reactions:
The hill I'll die on is that pops are good for games that are inherently about class conflict (Imperator), wildly different categories of "people" (Stellaris) or an era of changing composition of society (Victoria) - but are not particularly useful in a game like CK3 or EU4, which are less about societal change or mass of people in that era than they are about changes amongst the elites.

The creation of national identities, birth of Westphalian sovereignty and formation of national states all fall within EU4 time frame. I'd say the series very much qualifies for pops. Also thinking that history can be divided into eras, where a mass of people (the general population) is relevant and eras where it is irrelevant, is flawed.

Reactions:
The creation of national identities, birth of Westphalian sovereignty and formation of national states all fall within EU4 time frame. I'd say the series very much qualifies for pops. Also thinking that history can be divided into eras, where a mass of people (the general population) is relevant and eras where it is irrelevant, is flawed.
“Birth of Westphalian sovereignty” and “formation of national states” are the exact kind of “changes in the outlook of the elites, rather than the mass of people” that I’m taking about.

There’s certainly an argument for “the creation of national identities” amongst the mass of people during the EU4 era - though I’d say that really happened during the Victoria era - but it certainly wasn’t a thing during CK’s era.

Reactions:
“Birth of Westphalian sovereignty” and “formation of national states” are the exact kind of “changes in the outlook of the elites, rather than the mass of people” that I’m taking about.

There’s certainly an argument for “the creation of national identities” amongst the mass of people during the EU4 era - though I’d say that really happened during the Victoria era - but it certainly wasn’t a thing during CK’s era.
Why are the dutch dutch and not german deutsch, the answer lies in eu4s era

And yet national identities are a fundamentals factor for political events throughout CK's time period.

Many nations did fought fiercely for their Independence during the period (or at the very least did perceive their struggle as one of national freedom) : France during the Hundred Years War, Scotland during the Anglo-Scottish Wars, etc, etc.

In addition, nations frequently played a key role political entities of all size. Be it the small and big Kurdish principalities that spawn as the Abbasid authority collapsed or the largest Muslim "successor" states which usually were formed around a chore united nations the most obvious examples being the Oghuz Turk Seljuk Sultanate up to Malik-Shah's reign and the reformed HRE built by and around the Saxons.

Reactions:
And yet national identities are a fundamentals factor for political events throughout CK's time period.

Many nations did fought fiercely for their Independence during the period (or at the very least did perceive their struggle as one of national freedom) : France during the Hundred Years War, Scotland during the Anglo-Scottish Wars, etc, etc.

In addition, nations frequently played a key role political entities of all size. Be it the small and big Kurdish principalities that spawn as the Abbasid authority collapsed or the largest Muslim "successor" states which usually were formed around a chore united nations the most obvious examples being the Oghuz Turk Seljuk Sultanate up to Malik-Shah's reign and the reformed HRE built by and around the Saxons.
I don’t the existence of countries and cultures during the CK3 era negates what I’m saying. Those things are (rightly) part of CK3.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I would like a distinction to be made from the Imperator between a country's gold that you pay to build new buildings with, etc., and your personal Wealth that you use to interact with other characters in the game, such as bribes.
Implementing such a solution in CK3 would open up many interesting roleplay opportunities, such as defrauding "state" money and feeding it into your private treasury when you sit on the council of your liege. A series of events could be created in which the ruler (player or AI) investigates embezzlement, and if the player was cheating and he was the one who embezzled the money, he could give a liege false leads or direct the investigation towards another person.
On the other hand, funds from a private treasury could pay for the creation of new artifacts, send gifts (if the recipient is not an AI-controlled ruler, e.g. an ordinary knight). This solution could also be used, for example, when you use Adopt Puppy decision. There is no reason to pay for this with "state" money, which also includes paying for buildings or supporting the army.

Reactions:
I would like a distinction to be made from the Imperator between a country's gold that you pay to build new buildings with, etc., and your personal Wealth that you use to interact with other characters in the game, such as bribes.
Implementing such a solution in CK3 would open up many interesting roleplay opportunities, such as defrauding "state" money and feeding it into your private treasury when you sit on the council of your liege. A series of events could be created in which the ruler (player or AI) investigates embezzlement, and if the player was cheating and he was the one who embezzled the money, he could give a liege false leads or direct the investigation towards another person.
On the other hand, funds from a private treasury could pay for the creation of new artifacts, send gifts (if the recipient is not an AI-controlled ruler, e.g. an ordinary knight). This solution could also be used, for example, when you use Adopt Puppy decision. There is no reason to pay for this with "state" money, which also includes paying for buildings or supporting the army.
Maybe for republics and churches, but for feudal holdings it should all be personal wealth. Illegal mints and scamming your liege as his chancellor would be nice events to happen tho

Reactions: