• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks a ton for doing this - felt like back in the (insert grumpy old guy's voice) "good old days"

:)

I generally find YouTube works better for me than the Twitch archives... anybody know if the streams will end up there eventually?

I generally find YouTube works better for me than the Twitch archives... anybody know if the streams will end up there eventually?

Well their Crusader Kings & Bloodlines 2 streams were up on You Tube in just over 24 hours, so keep your eyes peeled on one of the Paradox accounts (either Paradox Interactive or Paradox XL I reckon).

Just finished watching the stream, and one question: Why you guys hate sleep so much?
This is looking absolutely amazing. Looking forward to playing it and not sleeping in a few more weeks.

After watching the two streams, I couldn't help but wonder about a couple things:

- City maps: as the devs said, with so many buildings and some of them being so high, there won't be dropships. That, I guess, also means that there is no extraction point, right? So, the missions in city maps would require to complete all the objectives to finish them, meaning, no achieving the main objective and then running to the extraction point before completing secondary objectives. Unless we use the "withdraw" option, of course... but that always seemed to me a bit strange (like shouting to the OpFor "wait, we desist, we wanna run away but we can't outrun you, so could be please stop shooting at us?" :confused:) It's not a big concern for me, as I've only run to the extraction point once or twice, just wondering...

- More star systems (that I don't remember if it's from the DLC or the 1.6 update): if there are like 30 (?) new star systems, I guess the scoring for the Career mode would have been modified somehow... I mean, as it is now, I find quite difficult to visit all the systems and get all the 'mechs and/or reach the maximum MRB score, so with more star systems, this is gonna be even more difficult. Don't get me wrong, I love to have more star systems, and after one career mode trying to get as much score as possible and stressing out, I've decided to ignore the score for the next career mode and just enjoy wandering around doing what I want at any moment. The same goes for the new Mechs, the more there are the better, but harder to fullfil the career points requirements...

What do you think of these changes? And any other big changes to game mechanics?

PS: I tried to look for a similar thread and couldn't find it, so if it exists, I guess the mods will merge them or something (then apologies).

- More star systems (that I don't remember if it's from the DLC or the 1.6 update): if there are like 30 (?) new star systems, I guess the scoring for the Career mode would have been modified somehow... I mean, as it is now, I find quite difficult to visit all the systems and get all the 'mechs and/or reach the maximum MRB score, so with more star systems, this is gonna be even more difficult. Don't get me wrong, I love to have more star systems, and after one career mode trying to get as much score as possible and stressing out, I've decided to ignore the score for the next career mode and just enjoy wandering around doing what I want at any moment. The same goes for the new Mechs, the more there are the better, but harder to fullfil the career points requirements...
There's about 50 new star systems.

As for Career Mode scoring, we also know that 1.6/UW will introduce "multipliers" depending on your difficulty settings, so it's not entirely unreasonable to expect HBS to have also taken the 50 or so new star systems into account for the scoring.

Oh, and the star map will actually show which systems you've visited, so that helps too.

A possibility for the scoring of all mechs and all star systems objectives would be to keep the total needed the same as what is in the base game (or just what was in the base game pre-1.6). I believe that the all mechs score don't include the Flashpoint mechs or the lostech mechs. Some people have completed runs where they had more than the stated points possible for some categories.

Star systems could work similarly. They could keep the total we need to visit to get the bonus the same as it is now. With the addition of more star systems and tracking where we have been, that would actually make the objective easier.

Good point on not being able to land in an urban environment. My guess would be that any evac zones will have to be in more open areas. There were some areas that were far enough away from buildings that I think a dropship could land.

@Revan Katarn ignoring the scoring is probably the best bet.
its what i do.
i dont find it 'fun' to try and get a high score like it is space invaders.
i just go about my thing RP'ing the merc unit i am currently using and after 1200 days i get what i get..no worries.

as for the extraction zones...ya that along with drop pods have me concerned somewhat.
i guess they could make us march to a spaceport...
or make the extraction zone a magic 'dont shoot me' trigger ending mission.
drop pods bother me in that HBS has them behaving nothing like they do in TT or the novels.

After watching the two streams, I couldn't help but wonder about a couple things:

- City maps: as the devs said, with so many buildings and some of them being so high, there won't be dropships. That, I guess, also means that there is no extraction point, right? So, the missions in city maps would require to complete all the objectives to finish them, meaning, no achieving the main objective and then running to the extraction point before completing secondary objectives. Unless we use the "withdraw" option, of course... but that always seemed to me a bit strange (like shouting to the OpFor "wait, we desist, we wanna run away but we can't outrun you, so could be please stop shooting at us?" :confused:) It's not a big concern for me, as I've only run to the extraction point once or twice, just wondering...

Good point.
I could see them putting the extraction zone right at the edge of a map and "resurrect" the old tabletop mechanic of "in order to withdraw, you have to leave the map over a specific map-edge (usually your "home"-edge), so you retreat over the map's edge by reaching that extraction zone.
Come to think of it, is that what you meant with "withdrawl option"?

Another option could be to have _some_ open spaces on the map, large enough for a dropship to land, say, a football stadium or a park.

@Hawk.eye and @Panzer-Killer , I meant the option/button in the top right corner during the missions, yes.

The extraction zone at the edge of the city I doubt it, as HBS mentioned that they wanted to build cities that fill the whole horizon... but the option of having a stadium or something similar, maybe. Otherwise, they will rely on the "withdrawal" button, a new mechanic or no secondary objectives in city maps (unlikely). Will see, I was just wondering :)

@Hawk.eye and @Panzer-Killer , I meant the option/button in the top right corner during the missions, yes.

The extraction zone at the edge of the city I doubt it, as HBS mentioned that they wanted to build cities that fill the whole horizon... but the option of having a stadium or something similar, maybe. Otherwise, they will rely on the "withdrawal" button, a new mechanic or no secondary objectives in city maps (unlikely). Will see, I was just wondering :)

I’m quite sure that HBS will make sure every UW battle map’s slice our ‘Mech Lance will deploy onto will sport, when required by the current mission type, a seemingly appropriate location wherein a Leopard-class dropship may land and evac our assets. :D

They only need the same “landing pad” graphic they currently use really. Plonk it down somewhere on he map, and there’s the extraction zone.
I think the drop pod idea is to allow ally/hostile insertion anywhere on the map allowing for only a single round of warning.

...I think the drop pod idea is to allow ally/hostile insertion anywhere on the map allowing for only a single round of warning.
Excellent point. : )

Without knowing more on what is intended for UW:

Yes, actual dropships over a dense urban area = very, very bad.

I've considered the idea of bringing a Union class down into Central Park in New York.

The drive plume and shockwave from the engines would devastate the park itself, and at the very least leave small mountains of shattered glass from all the adjacent highrises that got all their windows blown out.

You would not want to even SpaceX-style tail-land a Saturn V like that, and the fully configured Apollo 16 at just under 3m KG had a launch weight comparable to a smaller BT dropship.

Other than drop pods for map insertion, it would follow that we'd start on a map edge, assumed to have dropped outside the city and segued straight through the transit time required to reach the battle map.

Likewise; a standard extraction point in the form of a gold hex may simply indicate reaching a point on the map edge where there is a highway, street, or other egress path to leave the map in a strategically safe manner.

Last edited: