[Feature request][Pathfinding] Fleet picks not the shortest path when asked to transport units

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

JustAnotherHero

Recruit
30 Badges
May 18, 2022
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
As one can see on the screenshots I've requiested units to move from Managua to Galapogos Islands. For that a fleet started to move from straits of Malacca to Managua through Indian and Antlantic oceans (not through Pacific). I'm not challendging here, that a path itself to Managua through Pacific is shorter, but taking an account, that the fleet is going to transport units to Galapogos right after (and that is known ahead of time) the path through the pacific seems to be more optimal, since there is no need to bypass South America.
So if I'm not mistaken in my findings, the requiest would be: if fleet is ahead of time known to be transporting units, then pathfinding algorithm should take into an account sum of path from fleet location to units location and from units location to units destination.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    3,7 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.png
    2.png
  • 3.png
    3.png
As one can see on the screenshots I've requiested units to move from Managua to Galapogos Islands. For that a fleet started to move from straits of Malacca to Managua through Indian and Antlantic oceans (not through Pacific). I'm not challendging here, that a path itself to Managua through Pacific is shorter, but taking an account, that the fleet is going to transport units to Galapogos right after (and that is known ahead of time) the path through the pacific seems to be more optimal, since there is no need to bypass South America.
So if I'm not mistaken in my findings, the requiest would be: if fleet is ahead of time known to be transporting units, then pathfinding algorithm should take into an account sum of path from fleet location to units location and from units location to units destination.
Mabey put this in the suggestions forum.
Or bug reports.

Edit: it was moved to the suggestions forum

Last edited:
Reactions:
> It might choose that path for attrition related reasons

It's a good guess. I can't tell with ease on which path to expect less fleet attriction - I have colonies all around Pacific, Indian oceans and a little bit in Brazil. On the other hand AFAIK army-on-board attriction depends on the lenght of the path and it's not being lowered by friendly shores next to the transporting fleet, isn't it? So I'm expecting a path around South America to be more deadly for the army.

It's a good guess. I can't tell with ease on which path to expect less fleet attriction - I have colonies all around Pacific, Indian oceans and a little bit in Brazil. On the other hand AFAIK army-on-board attriction depends on the lenght of the path and it's not being lowered by friendly shores next to the transporting fleet, isn't it? So I'm expecting a path around South America to be more deadly for the army.

My guess is the simplest at all: the map itself has an edge. It could be the AI handling this function just doesn't realize that one edge connects to the other.

Pretty sure open seas significantly increase naval attrition

VUmzq32.gif
to the Suggestions subforum.