(Far too many words on) Victoria 3's Gameplay Loop

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Of course.

Yes. But I don’t think that low literacy rates causing factories unable to hire was the cause of it.

Yes, and the game should aspire to represent that, instead of a “your literacy is above xx% you industrialize, otherwise you don’t” implementation. Chances are they go again with the literacy thing, as it’s simpler to implement and people see to be ok with it. But if offers less interesting gameplay IMO.

Those were very few people. Not your average industrial worker. Even (European) countries with low literacy had plenty of them, or could just hire them from other countries.

And again early industrialization (specially textiles) had the effect of reducing literacy rates. As Richard Rubinger states on “Literacy West and East: Europe and Japan in the Nineteenth Century”
View attachment 965457

Literacy rate of the lower workers (Laborers in Victoria 3) don't have to be high. Rather it is about literacy rate of the clerks, machinists and engineers. Since buildings employ by ratio, not having access to necessary clerks (I.E middle-managers), machinists (foremen and the like) and engineers (various people who design, set up, maintain machines) will limit the employment of laborers in industries (who may or may not be literate).

As I said this is about qualifications for middle & higher positions, not for average laborer making a basic motions with yarns. If you are not aware, you only need >20% literacy in a pop for them to promote to clerks, machinists or engineers. That is obviously very low. If you don't have people to set up factories, manage and maintain them it shouldn't be possible for these factories to run. That is what this is about not how literate average laborer was.

There is also another important factor that I hope devs eventually represent. That is capital accumulation of the pops and their ability to invest using localities, as well as the entire capital relation in terms of core-periphery regions for finished goods and raw materials. Which actually caused de-industrialization in areas like Levant and India in 19th century.

In either case it is about making the game take good account of shifting demographic trends (including capital accumulation) and have that both be a prerequisite for a change and lead to change.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I’m not saying that everything is tied to the means of production, or that all that happened through the world was motivated to serve the interests of industry. Even though one could say that people changed God by gold during that age (that still last until today) I don’t thing every human motivation was purely materialistic. But I think that industrialization enabled many of the changes and events happening back then. For instance, would the settlement of the west have happened similarly without railways? Didn’t the great divergence and the rise of the western countries as indisputable global powers had some influence in the Meji restoration? Would have WWI been the same without the industrial capabilities of the countries involved? Could those countries have mobilized their population the way they did if they had been non-industrial societies? How that affected the rise of fascism? And I don’t thing it was only a technical matter. The change from rural to urban society caused mainly due to industrialization, surely had a big impact on other human facets. As the growth of international trade surely had. And all this also affected the rest of the world that didn’t industrialized. As I mentioned before, the great divergence probably helped the penetration of western culture and ideas in the places where this had not happened during the age of discovery.
All very valid points. I suspect, despite my hyperbole, we are somewhat arguing more about nuance than concept.
Well, I do see change in politics. Yes, all the IG exist at game start, but the IGs that are relevant at game start are different that the ones that are relevant at the end of the game. Different political parties appear and laws get unlocked as technology progresses. The population make up also changes depending on how your economy develops and your laws set up. Countries colonize lands, the importance of trade increases… I do see some changes. With the same logic that you used in your argumentation it could be said that nothing changed in Vic 2 either, because at the beginning I set NFs with some icons on it, and later I set NFs with different icons on it.
This is to a degree fair (though I would argue that NFs were not my principal activity in V2, not in the way that construction + PM management eats up maybe 80-90% of my game time and attention). I think there are a number of reasons I don't feel like the political simulation represents any meaningful change, at least lensed through the IG system:
  • Pops themselves don't believe anything (or at least, not in a way that is visible to the player - they can back some revolutionary movements); just being told that there are people who believe stuff, and here is what they believe, is I think a core part of a political-mechanical fantasy to me. I've genuinely considered "testing" myself to see if I just renamed the IG groups to political identities through a mod (like "Reactionary conservatives" for landowners, or whatever) to see if that changes my narrative reading of the political simulation
  • The agents who do believe stuff, the interest groups, barely change what they believe over the period: landowners (and even "reactionary conservative landowners"!) absolutely did not believe the same stuff in 1836 as in 1936. Their numbers changing (and growing political engagement which tbf is modelled) does not meaningfully encapsulate the kind of changes that happened within populations of the same "type" within this period.
  • Those agents are mediated through the IG group leaders, which gives the whole thing a feeling of the same kind of "elite" politics in 1836 as in 1936. The idea that there was a meaningfully identifiable leader of the dispossessed urban artisans in the 1848 revolutions in each country, and that figure could have been invited into government, seems mad to me.
  • Not so much a change point but a sophistication one - you're obviously right that which IGs matter at game-start and game-end are different; but if, say, only 4 IGs are relevant at any one time, isn't that a rather obtusely simplistic political simulation?
I intentionally didn't rant about how much distaste I have for the IG system and political simulation in the OP, partly because I've done so elsewhere, partly because some of this may be addressed in 1.3, and partly because I wanted to focus on the core-loop of the game rather than the relatively small/rare/high-up loop of political reform - so I think the for the moment I'll try to leave it at that!

Reactions:
If you are not aware, you only need >20% literacy in a pop for them to promote to clerks, machinists or engineers. That is obviously very low. If you don't have people to set up factories, manage and maintain them it shouldn't be possible for these factories to run. That is what this is about not how literate average laborer was.
Tbh I don’t fully understand how the qualification system works. As you say it seems that there’s a minimum literacy that a certain pop needs so members of it qualify for these professions. There’re other factor like wealth and current (and previous?) profession, that together with literacy determine how many members of that pop get qualified each month. Until here is all clear, but then what happens? The number of qualified people increases until the maximum of members of that pop, so everyone in that pop qualifies? I understand that should not be the case, but not sure.

As I see it, (and assuming that just literacy is what’s needed for these jobs), it should work the other way around. Literacy, instead of a lower limit, should be a ceiling. No more than 20% of the pop members should qualify if literacy is 20% (actually a higher percentage of members should qualify if we are measuring also literacy of dependents). But if only 10% is literate, why that 10% shouldn’t qualify?

And tbh 20% of the population qualified to be engineers should be more than enough not to have any worker shortages even in the most technological economy. Which illustrates that we should be taking into account higher education and not just literacy for these qualifications. But that’s another hill to die on.
I think there are a number of reasons I don't feel like the political simulation represents any meaningful change, at least lensed through the IG system:
Tbh I’m not super fan of the IG system. I have come to accept it though.
Pops themselves don't believe anything (or at least, not in a way that is visible to the player - they can back some revolutionary movements); just being told that there are people who believe stuff, and here is what they believe, is I think a core part of a political-mechanical fantasy to me. I've genuinely considered "testing" myself to see if I just renamed the IG groups to political identities through a mod (like "Reactionary conservatives" for landowners, or whatever) to see if that changes my narrative reading of the political simulation
Well they also support political movements (although seem a bit random to me). And you could consider that their support to IGs align with what they believe, although it is too connected to their profession. I understand why they did this though, aside from being more or less plausible to a certain degree, it connects the society make up with politics and vice-versa in an easy to understand way. Maybe they add more factors to determine support of pops to IGs in the future.
The agents who do believe stuff, the interest groups, barely change what they believe over the period: landowners (and even "reactionary conservative landowners"!) absolutely did not believe the same stuff in 1836 as in 1936. Their numbers changing (and growing political engagement which tbf is modelled) does not meaningfully encapsulate the kind of changes that happened within populations of the same "type" within this period.
I have hope that they develop this in the future. After all they have said that early iterations had IGs not being static and changing their approach to certain issues. But they said it was too confusing to the player, so they went to more fixed ideologies, using the leader’s ideology to represent some changes. But this is generally random, and it comes and goes with the leaders themselves. There’re a couple of scripted changes I think, but yes generally they are quite static.

That being said, for your example of the landowners you could consider that this change is represented by the change of who the landowners are. By late game, several of your landowners will be Capitalist supporting different IGs and ideologies than early game landowners. This logic can be generalized to other demographic groups.
Those agents are mediated through the IG group leaders, which gives the whole thing a feeling of the same kind of "elite" politics in 1836 as in 1936. The idea that there was a meaningfully identifiable leader of the dispossessed urban artisans in the 1848 revolutions in each country, and that figure could have been invited into government, seems mad to me.
I kind of enjoy the leaders. To me it makes it feel like there’s people behind all that. I see them just as politicians that support different ideologies, so I’m fine with them.
Not so much a change point but a sophistication one - you're obviously right that which IGs matter at game-start and game-end are different; but if, say, only 4 IGs are relevant at any one time, isn't that a rather obtusely simplistic political simulation?
I’m mostly ok with it, but granted is a matter of taste. We lack some stuff though, like IGs for different faiths or regional or cultural IGs.

As I said before I was not very thrilled with IGs. Having political groups with these names is a bit off-putting and all is tied too much with professions. But after playing I have come to terms with it. I find the political gameplay of Vic3 more involved and dynamic than that of Vic2 (although probably something similar could have been achieved without IGs). They also added political parties that helps with immersion and I hope they develop the system a bit more in the future adding more factors to determine support to IGs and other stuff. But at the same time I understand why you don’t like it, because I share some of the gripes.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Another immensely interesting thread. The level of reflexivity shown by some of us is just incredible. Not only on the game mechanics they experience but also on their own player practices . I'm in awe.

• 1Love
Reactions: