• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tropod

First Lieutenant
3 Badges
Mar 6, 2015
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
Hi All,

didn't notice anywhere in particular to ask following, so here goes.......

As someone who still plays/modds SC4 religiously, never bought SC13/SCS etc, I have a few questions before I part with my hard earned §§ :laugh: that I haven't seen/read addressed anywhere

Neighbour network connections:
-Are they always already established.
-Can these be moved.
-Are they mandatory to have.

City tile playing area (ie dotted lines):
-How exactly do these areas work. I think in one/two videos I've seen they aren't always square/grid like ie on angle, and if so can they be moved. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
-can each city be played next to each other or are they actually spaced apart a little.

Networks;
-Can one way roads direction be changed without demolishing it first.
-Elevated networks <> ground <> underground transition; possible? If not, is it on drawing board.
-Double decker parallel networks & bridges; possible? If not, is it on drawing board.

Modding:
-Menu modd-ability/adaptability in relation to custom content. ie how tied to the menu structure are the assets in the game, can they be relocated if necessary &/or can custom (content) menu(s) be added by players.

Thank you CO for making this game. Now I can shelve my project :rofl:

EDIT: on side note, where's the spell-checker?

Well, can't answer everything, but I can answer the one about the one way roads. Since there is no definitive way of simply "upgrading" a road to a one way, a two-way must be demolished, and a one-way must be drawn in the direction that you want the flow of traffic to go.

I think these are pretty solid answers to most of your questions.

Hi All,

didn't notice anywhere in particular to ask following, so here goes.......

As someone who still plays/modds SC4 religiously, never bought SC13/SCS etc, I have a few questions before I part with my hard earned §§ :laugh: that I haven't seen/read addressed anywhere

Neighbour network connections:
-Are they always already established.
On the maps that come with the game, yes. You can also make your own maps and you must place a neighboring highway before saving it and being able to use it in game.

-Can these be moved.
Yes, once you own the tile that they are on, you can demolish and rebuild them just as if they were any other road that you yourself had placed.

-Are they mandatory to have.
I'm going to say yes...if you just bulldozed that highway entirely, it would probably kill your industry and tourism by cutting off outside traffic. Could you possibly establish airports and trainlines and harbors to take up the task of shipping/receiving goods and all that and safely remove that highway? Maybe.

-How exactly do these areas work. I think in one/two videos I've seen they aren't always square/grid like ie on angle, and if so can they be moved. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
They are squares, the playing area is only a 5x5 grid. I'm not sure what you might've seen that could've looked like a different shape or at an angle, sorry.

-can each city be played next to each other or are they actually spaced apart a little.
Don't mistake these squares for the different regions in Simcity 4, you're playing one single region that you expand as your city grows. You aren't hopping back and out and entering a different "city" as you would in Simcity 4. You could build in the region however you like..as one growing blob of a city or as separate little "towns" or "villages" that are connected by highways.

Networks;
-Can one way roads direction be changed without demolishing it first.
-Elevated networks <> ground <> underground transition; possible? If not, is it on drawing board.
Only underground metro and on ground/elevated railroads right now, but I think they've said they have on ground/elevated metro on their to-do list.

-Double decker parallel networks & bridges; possible? If not, is it on drawing board.
No, I watched a streamer a couple nights ago try to build a double decker road way and it wasn't possible, it was thwarted by the first-laid road occupying the same space he was trying to build on. I haven't heard any official word on this coming i nthe future.

Modding:
-Menu modd-ability/adaptability in relation to custom content. ie how tied to the menu structure are the assets in the game, can they be relocated if necessary &/or can custom (content) menu(s) be added by players.
Not sure on this.

Thank you CO for making this game. Now I can shelve my project :rofl:

EDIT: on side note, where's the spell-checker?

JRSly has given you good answers to my knowledge of the game so far. I'lurk here most of the time, but read a lot.

About the starting road you should also know that it has to connect to your starting tile (which you select in map-making). So you cannot make it a short road only connecting to one edge tile of the map (unless that is your start tile). Maybe there will come different forms of edge connections in the future, for now it must be road.

You are not playing a region where this road leads to other cities you can build (except in your imagination or if you merge screenshots :) ). You are playing one city on one map. You can expand this city over 9 tiles on this map of 25 tiles. These 9 tiles will represent 36 km2 (9x4km2). You can select any tile you want for expansion, the city does not have to end up 3x3 tiles square.

If you are truly on the fence about buying, wait for reviews after launch day. At the moment you can make your mind up with the many steams from gamers with a pre-release copy, the information from CO and this forum of course.

I think these are pretty solid answers to most of your questions.
A correction:
They are squares, the playing area is only a 5x5 grid. I'm not sure what you might've seen that could've looked like a different shape or at an angle, sorry.
The dotted lines are the currently owned area (which can go to 9 tiles unmodded). Whilst the lines will never be at anything other than right angles, they can be in any shape you want within the 25-square confines of the playable area, so you can indeed have a strangely shaped playing area that isn't a square if you so desire.