• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

luk3Z

Rebel
1 Badges
May 15, 2007
  • For The Glory
Hello.
After some testing I'm pleased to release this mod.
Any comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Currently mod consist of 2 scenarios:
April 19, 1775 - American War of Independence
July 2, 1861 - American Civil War

Enjoy.

Download (current version 1.4.1 from 07.03.2022):
Mediafire

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Nice work. I don't know if it's possibly but maybe reduce the amount of units you can recruit, cause right know you can just indefinitely spam out units which let's the war go on for too long. Also is it just me or is there a problem with recruiting cavallary, cause i can't recruit it.

Suggestion: Write a little about what the mod is all about. I mean it looks like a US Civil War scenario, but maybe it also has aliens? What's the role of Great Britain? Are there many events? Etc.

In any case, it's great to see some new modding work being done.

New version.
Code:
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Fantasy North & South
# Version: 1.3
# Based on: WATKABAOI 2.09 and partly on: AoI & AoN mods for EU2.
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes since version 1.2:

added:
- added ENG cores on USA states
- added few missing (historical) provinces to ENG
- added 7 manufactories in UK (like in vanilla 1773 scenario)
- added goods manufactory in Washington D.C. (like in vanilla 1773 scenario)
- added missing goods in few provinces
- added Quebec flags & army units
- USA cores on CSA provinces in 1861 scenario

removed:
- removed barracks (CC) from Quebec province (ENG 1775 scenario)
- removed barracks (CC) from Washington D.C. province (USA 1775 scenario)

changed:
- changed ENG AI ferocity to "= no" (via event) in 1775 scenario when ENG AI is losing the war with USA &
  USA control all their national provinces (except New York - is on the island - USA don't have navy)
- changed USA AI ferocity to "= no" (via event) in 1861 scenario when USA AI is losing the war with CSA &
  CSA control 50% of USA provinces (36 prov.)
- changed ENG AI ferocity to "= no" in 1861 scenario
- changed goods in few provinces
- changed manpower in provinces
- changed few city names
- changed few lines in land & naval tech
- speed of land army doubled (more realistic)
- decreased manpower of CSA (to historical value of pop. see below "# 1861 scenario" in "About this mod")

other:
- event option when ENG joning the war on Confederation side (alternative/fantasy Trent Affair)
- all countries now starts without Tax collectors, Chief judges & Governors (you can upgrade them manually)
- _DAYS_PER_PHASE_ = 2
- new CRT
- more fun !

• 1Like
Reactions:
Suggestions:

In the mod file
mod_FNS.txt
add a 2nd line as a remark with the version number of the mod, as other mods like Timur do. It allows to check which version one has installed on a quick glance without starting the game, e.g.
Code:
#The Age of Timur

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mod = {
    name = "The Age of Timur"
    dir = "FTG_Timur"
    language = { "english" }
    style = { "classic" }
    shields = { "classic" }
    remark = "Version 1.12"
    remark = "For FTG by Garbon"
    }

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When selecting the 1776 scenario the the UK has the same scenario description as it does in the Civil War scenario: "During the Civil War (1861-1865)..."

Great Britain gained a lot of it´s possessions only in the Treaty of Paris 1763. I suggest to use "claimcores" instead of "national cores" for the provinces gained in 1763. The same for british cores on the 13 provinces - all those provinces have a divided loyalty and the UK should suffer nationalism/less manpower from them should the occupy and annex them again.

In the starting event is some sort of strange character. It does not read 1775-1783 but:
1608159676382.png

Possible cause: Did you edit and save the event files with something else than the normal editor or notepad? That can cause those artifacts.

Fog of War and empty provinces:
You make the War of Independance both far easier and far harder than historically.
Easier because you deprive Britain of sources of income like Jamaica and their small Mosquito coast trading post
and
harder because the USA would never have achieved independance from Britain without financial and military aid from several states, including the Netherlands, Spain, France and Prussia.

Province 86 - Washington D. C.... In 1775 that city did not yet exist. It was formally founded 1790 and named Washington 1791. It is possible to change the name of a provinces city by event so that should happen later by event.

Last edited:
An error in your files:
England_ENG.inc contains the national and the claimed provinces of the UK. However you have the provinces of the US listed in BOTH - in which case the national core overrides the claimcore and the claimcores are ignored. You have to remove the nationalcores on the province on which you want to have the UK only claimcores:

nationalprovinces = {
45 46 47 48 49 50 60 72 73 74 77 78 79 80 81 82 92 93 94 95 96 97 106 107 108 109 110 111 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 126 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 837 1465 1568 1569 1902 1903 1912 1915 1916
#USA
54 55 61 62 63 64 65 66 68 69 70 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 112

}
claimedprovinces = {
#USA
54 55 61 62 63 64 65 66 68 69 70 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 112
}

Thanks for report. I'll check it ASAP and make update. I am on FTG Discord if you have some suggestions.
I have never used DIscord, my old 32bit Windows and browser do not support it as far as I remember.

Mod updated and added new positions to todo list.

# What's new in 1.4.x:

added:
- added few small/medium forts in few provinces
- added few events for CSA & USA
- added few changes in CSA & USA AI files
- USA/CSA/ENG country descriptions

changed:
- changed USA & CSA Domestic Policy (DP) settings in "1861, April 12 - American Civil War" scenario
- changed CSA money at the scenario start (to avoid fast 'stagnation' after start the game)
- changed ENG cores in N. America from national to claimed in 1775/1861 scenario

Washington was founded only 1790, so after the war with Britian had ended

In AGCEEP the US has an event moving it´s capital that could be used as a template.

Capital before Washington had been Philadelphia where the First Congress met.

Population of Philadelphia is far too high with 285000. WIKI has demographics of 28522 in 1790 so likely somewhat lower in 1776

Washington D.C was a planned city with a very low population and should perhaps be reduced to a colonial city of 5000 before the end of the war. Alexandria as name before the founding of D.C? That is, unless you want Baltimore on the map until the foundation of D.C. which would be approximately in that province.

Suggested changes to files:

United_States_USA.inc

Code:
    city = {
        fortress = { level = 1 }
        population = 285000 --> 25000
        location = 84
        name = "Philadelphia" #First Capital of the USA
        [color=yellow]capital = yes[/color]
        bailiff = no
        courthouse = no
        cityrights = no
    }

city = {
        fortress = { level = 1 }
        population = 36000
        location = 85
        name = "Newark"
        bailiff = no
        courthouse = no
        cityrights = no
    }

city = {
        fortress = { level = 3 }
        population = 38000 #capital --> 5000
        location = 86
        name = "Washington D.C." --> Alexandria
        [color=red]capital = yes[/color]
        bailiff = no
        courthouse = no
        cityrights = no
        [color=red]manufactory = goods[/color]
    }

Suggested Capital moving event, slightly altered from AGCEEP event 324008:

Code:
#(1800-1820) Washington, D.C.
event = {
    id = 324008
    trigger = {
        owned = { province = 86 data = -1 } #Conoy
        control = { province = 86 data = -1 }
        atwar = no
        isvassal = no
        stability = 1 #that means 1 or higher
                  }
    random = no
    country = USA
    name = "EVENTNAME324008" #The New Capital
    desc = "EVENTHIST324008"
    #-#In 1790 Congress designated 260 square kilometers of territory for the new seat of government of the USA. The site of the new capital was largely the result of a compromise between the Southern and Northern states. By 1800 the first Congress session was held, and president John Adams moved into the Executive Mansion (nowadays White House).

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1791 }
    offset = 90
    deathdate = { year = 1820 }

action = {
        name = "ACTIONNAME324008A" #Let us found Washington, D.C.
        command = { type = capital which = 86 }
        command = { type = cityname which = 86 value = "Washington D.C." }
        command = { type = provincetax which = 86 value = 2 } #The site had significant commercial potential
        command = { type = population which = 86 value = 1500 }
        command = { type = stability value = -1 }
    }
    action = {
        name = "ACTIONNAME324008B" #Let us remain in the current capital
        command = { type = stability value = 1 }
        command = { type = domestic which = centralization value = -1 } #part of the reason of the move was to get out of the power of a state
    }
}

If you plan to add more events I would suggest that you adapt either the numbering system of AGCEEP or another mod because if you plan to have more than a dozen events it will become messy if you simply add them one by one.

Balance:
In my opinion Britain should be the worldpower fighting a 2nd rate colonial nation.
1:1 Britain should only be hindered by a lack of manpower to project power over the ocean while the US can concentrate at home. However as long as just the two fight I would say Britain should win in 75% of games.

Only when the historical aid is given (money from the Netherlands, military diversions by Spain re-conquering Florida from Britain, the support of the french navy and army, the drilling of the US soldies by prussians officers like Steuben) should that percentage turn around.

I'm wondering about add mechanism from this old game: https://www.myabandonware.com/game/north-south-yx
So, if you have certain provinces then you will get some extra army by persistent event everz x months. This mechanism could be optional.
I remember that game from my C-64...
The extra army that arrived at the east coast (Virginia?) assumed that you had found european allies in the UK or France who sent support.
The other extra armies appeared when you had enough money which in FtG simply means hiring yourself.

As far as I remember another person who had tested your mod mentioned too many soldiers (in part due to very high population numbers). The USA should IMO not have national cores on all it´s provinces - after all the US had at least some loyalists everywhere. Claimcores for everything would be better.

Edit: I would suggest to reduce the starting army of the US according to WIKI

Instead of

landunit = {
name = "Continental Army"
id = { type = 9430 id = 200 }
location = 86
morale = 4
infantry = 30000
cavalry = 10000
artillery = 50
}

to 27000 split up in 22000 and 5000 with the mayor force in Philadelphia and the smaller in the state of New York.
...adopting the forces already in place outside Boston (22,000 troops) and New York (5,000).

Everything beyond that should need to be mustered and trained.

Last edited:
Nice mod. I can hear how it craves tons of events, and manpower and income balancing.
But why do you call it fantasy?
I have not tried it myself, but maybe it would look prettier if you change the placeholder anarcho-syndicalist shields to transparent (full-green) ones?
CSA unit sprites look downgraded. I see why you chose this (to make them different from the Union sprites), but I am not sure it is a good decision. All EU2 players remember that these sprites are one level lower.

Nice mod. I can hear how it craves tons of events, and manpower and income balancing.
But why do you call it fantasy?
I have not tried it myself, but maybe it would look prettier if you change the placeholder anarcho-syndicalist shields to transparent (full-green) ones?
CSA unit sprites look downgraded. I see why you chose this (to make them different from the Union sprites), but I am not sure it is a good decision. All EU2 players remember that these sprites are one level lower.
CSA units just have grey uniforms to be historically accurate (sprite levels doesn't matter in this mod).
I called it fantasy coz I want to implement more fantasy events which make the game a little bit more ahistorical.