• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
[Not One Ton] - The Harbingers send a small detachment to act as security for Castellan Corporation's metal recycling facility. Two lances of pirates with lightly armed 'Mechs are inbound to try to take advantage of what they think is an easy mark.

[Vernier Independence] - A group of rebels have started rolling tanks and BattleMechs into Vernier City, and the Harbingers are on a contract to support the defenders.

[Act 3, Round 15] is also now finished.

Hi. Any new info? Was a while since something happened here.

Sadly, reality has intervened quite a bit. But in good ways!

Firstly, we just pulled out the minis and got a chance to play through another round. Writing up the reports and paperwork for that round (Round 17) has been taking up as much time as I was spending doing the "catching up". I had to spend more time than anticipated re-acquainting myself with the material, and Round 18 should be underway in December.

Secondly, I had to dig through a thumb drive as I realized I'd lost photos for the Round 16 missions - I still couldn't recover one of those but it was the less-important mission, therefore it wasn't a big crisis. This meant I had to put trying to do the page writeups on hold until I had them, then upload to Imgur albums . . . then review the reports and realize I barely wrote coherent ones. So I had to rewrite.

Third, I've had a small problem of not having the writing "flowing" for the fiction side of things. Not a huge problem, more annoying than anything. The troubles will pass when they pass, and forcing myself to write the other things has been shaking some things loose. I expect to see progress hit "soon" but...

And lastly . . . I was streaming a Career Mode playthrough, five days out of a week for at least an hour, for the last month or so. As this was a portion of the time I'd set aside to do "other things", it meant I wasn't doing them. I'm still trying to do this, but it's going to need to take a backseat after a while.

But there has been some new progress regardless!

[Act 3, Round 16] Was finished being written, and is being put through edit passes as I put together the data for the reports.

Two of the three missions: [Castellan Defense] and [Teething Rats] are now done, save for minor text fixes which I may spot now and then. (The first was my brother doing a defense mission almost out of HBS' style - he did not do so well.) The third should be done after the (American) holiday this week, and I'll likely have the next round's material much closer to being done than it is now. (Which is to say, mostly-raw data.) Writing will re-commence if I can manage to write a side-story which actually works out.

Hi.
Thanks for the fast answer.
I didn´t want you to justify why you didn´t write something new. My post was meant like:
"I hope you are allright, it would be nice to get some information about what is going on. I hope you didn´t stop working on this project"
I know, 2 months is like no time if you work on such a project in your free time. But 2 months are very long if you wait for new stuff to read.
And I wanted you to know that you have fans reading your stuff.

Hi.
Thanks for the fast answer.
I didn´t want you to justify why you didn´t write something new. My post was meant like:
"I hope you are allright, it would be nice to get some information about what is going on. I hope you didn´t stop working on this project"
I know, 2 months is like no time if you work on such a project in your free time. But 2 months are very long if you wait for new stuff to read.
And I wanted you to know that you have fans reading your stuff.

Oh I was reviewing the Dev Diary when I saw the notice :) That's how you got a fast answer. And the justification was not really me justifying but - "Hey, yeah, I'm not dead - just busy."

And it's good to know fans are reading it. The reason it got started at all was the off chance someone would find it interesting. The old HBS forums showed there were a number of people who were reading it, and I'd get the chance to refer back when discussing tabletop things. (Mostly grumbles about how Classic BattleTech's "Strategic Operations" set up repairs and maintenance.)

Today I finally was able to navigate a thorough alteration for one more combat report, which allows me to now add another campaign turn to being completed:

[Act 3, Round 17] has now been completed through the combat reports now being finished. This is the latest of the campaign rounds which have been done, which means we are now current to what is going on with the tabletop.

[Silence the Guns] The Harbingers had been shelled from a base belonging to the 22nd Skye Rangers, and they don't like enemies having artillery in a position to hurt them even a little. Therefore, they launch a strong offensive to either destroy the Thumper cannons or seize them.

[Bail Out] The Fourth Legion of Vega has made a daring play to seize White Reach by simply taking over the government center and forcing the Senate to surrender. After the militia is unable to dislodge the Draconis forces, Commander Sethan resolves to forego officially sanctioned action and ask forgiveness later.

[Anomaly L16] is the first of many more complex combat missions which are handling a major part of White Reach's "storyline". Intrigue is going to increase with regard to many of the factions having specific 'guidelines' to how they behave beginning. And this storyline, while it rests firmly in the state of "bad fanfic" by virtue of being fan-written and not particularly good as it is incomplete, will at the least not contain crazy Lostech making its appearance.*

* That you know of, anyway.

Finished reading all of the Priam Company stories you have up so far. Excellent work! I'd honestly say that it's better than a lot of the official fiction that I've read. :)
It actually feels like a believable world and all of the major players seem to have believable motivations for their actions (oh, and actual personalities!)

I'm going to be tackling the Harbinger stories next and am looking forward to it. :)

Finished reading all of the Priam Company stories you have up so far. Excellent work! I'd honestly say that it's better than a lot of the official fiction that I've read. :)
It actually feels like a believable world and all of the major players seem to have believable motivations for their actions (oh, and actual personalities!)

I'm going to be tackling the Harbinger stories next and am looking forward to it. :)

Thanks for commenting!

The Harbinger story hit a snag, I'm working out the next block of characters before I tackle it. But so much reality hit all at once with distractions, and now I'm juggling a few things which are keeping me busy. But I hope to return soon. What's best is yet to come, because I get to write the major events where I start peeling back what's going on and why.

Started reading Priam Company. Liking a lot so far. But how they got the Griffin? I even re-read stuff but i keep missing where the got this mech...

You know, I overlooked that one when doing the rewrite from the rough draft. Going to need to find an answer which suits, though that's going to be harder to fit into the flow - might just have to edit it out of the first story's end and have it salvaged after the first mission.

Just as an idea.
A salvaged Kuritan mech from the fighting on Twycross mentioned in the story before, in such a bad shape that it was first pressed into service out of pure desperation because every mech was needed. Later sold by the Lyran military after a shipment with parts and even some replacement mechs arrived. Sold especially to Priam Company by those officers who Mikell not really befriended with when he first didn´t take the Mechwarrior offer and later stole the Battlemaster with the paperwork trick. Sell Priam Company a piece of junk to let them financially bleed dry and destroy the unit before it really exists.
Destroying the hard work of other people just to settle a minor score seems just the typical attitude for a selfish career officer with not much competence, but steep pockets and good relations.

Just as an idea.
A salvaged Kuritan mech from the fighting on Twycross mentioned in the story before, in such a bad shape that it was first pressed into service out of pure desperation because every mech was needed. Later sold by the Lyran military after a shipment with parts and even some replacement mechs arrived. Sold especially to Priam Company by those officers who Mikell not really befriended with when he first didn´t take the Mechwarrior offer and later stole the Battlemaster with the paperwork trick. Sell Priam Company a piece of junk to let them financially bleed dry and destroy the unit before it really exists.
Destroying the hard work of other people just to settle a minor score seems just the typical attitude for a selfish career officer with not much competence, but steep pockets and good relations.

I was already thinking along those lines. It's highly more likely Olivia picked it up as "surplus equipment" being sold off and had people working on fixing it up - making it presentable for the mustering in at the end of the first story, but not actually functional.

Hi.
I hope you and your family are well.
I just dropped by and wanted to ask if you are still working on this project?

I *am* well, so is the family, and I am still working on it... but there's a couple things.

See, my job took a trip into the... strained... during the COVID-19 height here in the US. (Yes, my job remained open, it was an essential service. And not in the "we'll just say it is to keep open longer" fashion of essential service.) But this meant extended hours alternating with no hours from time to time and putting some stress on things. This on top of the other stress kinda kept me sitting down to write and having... no mental energies to do it, so I'd get ten minutes into a draft and wind up deleting half of it.

So that was the deal with late Feb through April, which had me instead of actively writing... trying to get all my notes lined up and filling in small portions here and there. May was spent writing a few short fragments in the interest of getting things flowing at a speed other than "pine sap in winter". I've got a rough outline moving forward right now, so hopefully I can spend the second half of June working on it. I'm consciously deciding to do the Harbingers' side of things, which also means - since it's my brother's unit - I'm running everything through him, which usually gets a rubber stamp of "that's awesome". (Until it doesn't. Like a detail about hiring Capellans.)

The other holdup is... well. The nieces are stuck home. They're full of energy. And they have taken to not listening to "no don't touch that". This combination has meant the tabletop has not had a timetable for proceeding any further than it has, which is part of the reason why the fiction is stalled out in my head. (Even though I have a nice buffer of events before catching up with what's published, rough drafts are written rather close.)

TL, DR - Having standard creative-person problems, coupled with not having someone like Mitch yelling at me to get it done.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi.
Glad to hear you and your family are well.
Especially in a time like this with the COVID-19 virus, a pure hobby project falls way down the priority list. That is more than understandable (and who can´t understand it, to hell with you). Take your time, other things are way more important. But after 3 months of no life sign I just had to ask.
Thanks for even considering to answer.

Hi.
Glad to hear you and your family are well.
Especially in a time like this with the COVID-19 virus, a pure hobby project falls way down the priority list. That is more than understandable (and who can´t understand it, to hell with you). Take your time, other things are way more important. But after 3 months of no life sign I just had to ask.
Thanks for even considering to answer.

Well, I have a draft sitting here, but I blitzed a lot of material for the tabletop campaign through when I did - that left me with literally just fiction and filling out NPC entries as potential things to continue on. It's easier to do one than the other, of course, but both have taken back-seats to many other things. As well as other projects which came up and just sort of had to be dealt with.

(... Midgar ain't saving itself.)

Given some recentish conversations about characters though and trying to guide the tabletop to start up again "soon" - I'm just waiting for work to decide to ease up on their schedule so I can have more "mental recovery time" after shift. (The trouble with shifts starting at 2am semi-regularly is how much that kinda winds up taking over your day...)