• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For future reference:

KNtO44J.png

Congrats @roverS3! :D And props to @Wraith11B once more for the excellent hand-off!
The other option being to simply click on the number of replies on the main thread listings!

Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
An excellent recommended reading list, and not just because my works are on it (though that does help raise up the overall quality considerably ;) :) ). Once again demonstrating what a fine choice @Wraith11B was for the award.

Speaking of well deserved awards, congratulations @roverS3 your erudite comments and words of wisdom have been justly recognised.

, I noted that in @Le Jones AAR, A Royal Prerogative, the thread creator only comes fifth in posts in his own AAR... which just boggles the mind.

Apparently I also outpost Pip in The Butterfly Effect by a considerable margin. Impressive, considering he had a decade head start.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Many congratulations.

Apparently I also outpost Pip in The Butterfly Effect by a considerable margin. Impressive, considering he had a decade head start.
The counter is unreliable at best for the older works - on Fjords it claims I've posted 52 times and there are more chapters than that, let alone responses.

Given the number of upgrades the forum has been through it's not that surprising some of the stats and records have gone wonky in places.

The counter is unreliable at best for the older works - on Fjords it claims I've posted 52 times and there are more chapters than that, let alone responses.

Given the number of upgrades the forum has been through it's not that surprising some of the stats and records have gone wonky in places.

Even so, despite its reputation, you've posted over 200 times in butterfly for the past year or so. Scorching fast.

I do like how Paradox now has a 'canon' of forum posts, which only began a few years ago. Nothing before my entrance to the forums counts, which is lovely.

Last edited:
At the very least, I'd expect some ironic title granting to the die-hard communists who fight the hopeless battle against the Establishment

One 200 thousand word anti-capitalist tract later and… nope. Doesn't seem to happen.

It was a bit before my time, but some people used to maintain quasi-chivalric orders that they gave out membership to. Lots of 'cookies for services to X', that sort of thing. (Judging by his signature @BigBadBob used to dabble in the practice, for one.)

I do like how Paradox now has a 'canon' of forum posts, which only began a few years ago. Nothing before my entrance to the forums counts, which is lovely.

The Great Shift was a traumatic event. We lost of lot of good people. Makes it a bugger to go back and find stuff from my early days on here, if I'm ever minded to do so for whatever reason.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It was a bit before my time, but some people used to maintain quasi-chivalric orders that they gave out membership to. Lots of 'cookies for services to X', that sort of thing. (Judging by his signature @BigBadBob used to dabble in the practice, for one.)

Yes, I look upon their awards with jealous eyes, knowing I'm permanently ineligible because you must both write a great aar and finish it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes, I look upon their awards with jealous eyes, knowing I'm permanently ineligible because you must both write a great aar and finish it.

I mean, surely it isn't that hard ;)

...He says, having procrastinated on starting his first AAR for at least 14 years now. (Has it really been that long?)

EDIT: But seriously, if it's any consolation (it probably isn't), I was holding one in reserve for The Little Dux for the longest time. Ged's Existential Nightmare is also looking like a good candidate for one, by my entirely subjective and arbitrary bestowal criteria.

Reactions:
, I was holding one in reserve for The Little Dux for the longest time.

Little Dux will get done someday. I will not let that one die, even though I have to replay the whole game again. Despite the premise, maybe even because of it, its the best bit of writing I've done on this site.

Ged's Existential Nightmare is also looking like a good candidate for one,

Yes...that one might actually get done, true. And in the year it began as well, wonders never cease.

I'm mindful of 5000 posts coming up as well, which writing and finishing Ged should tip over. Astonishing that this is the AAR idea that I actually end up finishing though.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Going off of his member page, he's spent over six and a half days online in total since joining here in mid-2013, which is head and shoulders above my own 44 hours since I joined the boards in late 2008... His posts are in-depth, critical pieces that provoke deep thoughts in writAAR and commentatAAR alike. He's actually already been mentioned, and last received this award eight months ago but this will be his third total award.
I may not have been as efficient with my time on the forum as you have been. Of course, this time has been calculated starting from the most recent forum update this summer. I try to go for a quality over quantity approach for both my comments and my AAR, but I have strayed from that a little recently, sometimes leaving a shorter comment when I don't have the time to go all out. From my experience as an authAAR, I find that a short reply is still a nice confirmation that your work has been read and appreciated, even if it doesn't go into very much depth.

@roverS3 come on up and receive your honors!
The honour is all mine, as one says on such occasions. I guess the third time's the charm. Maybe I get to make a wish now?
Thank you for bestowing me with such a grand title, @Wraith11B . Even if my back still hurts a little:

Clearly, this calls for a flogging as is tradition.

And now for all those who have escaped flogging this week:

Warmest congratulations to @roverS3 - well deserved my friend.
SkitalecS3 isn't going anywhere, even if he may miss an update from time to time.

Oh, and well done Rover! Excellent fan and commentator.
If the dark lord Kelebek says so, it must be true.

Speaking of well deserved awards, congratulations @roverS3 your erudite comments and words of wisdom have been justly recognised.
They remain as of yet unmatched by that expansive masterpiece 'The Butterfly Effect'.

Many congratulations @roverS3!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations @roverS3 !
Congrats @roverS3!
Many congratulations.
Congrats @roverS3! :D And props to @Wraith11B once more for the excellent hand-off!
Thank you very much.

It remains the swiftest updated of all my aars but I would never, ever describe my work as quick when compared to (the ironically currently busy elsewhere) Bullfilter.

Devious deliberations do dwell down dearest darkest dungeon, despite dire desperation directing daring danger during darting darkness. Destabilising depression denotes disabling derangement.
Doctor? Direct Daisy's decreased dosage due disease?
Damn! Death departs daintly dear... dumb duty doth direct decay!

Dawn...deeply disdain.
All right, you have convinced me, I shall have to read it.

I'll now think long and hard on whom to bestow my honorific title to this Sunday.

Last edited:
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
If it looks like Sunday and quacks like Sunday, it must be: A duck? No. It's time to pass on this prestigious award. But first, it's time for some suggestions. The AAR's I've been following recently have all already been mentioned above, so I've taken the decision to list them again, but with my own takeaways:
HOI 3:
- Utsunimiya's War - HoI3(TFH) Japan AAR by @Eurasia is where a bunch of colourful Japanese characters of (questionable) influence gather to discuss how the Sino-Japanese war should be fought, and how Japan should be run. Their only points of unanimous agreement are just how incompetently things are being run by General Utsunimiya and the sitting government, and that the emperor is divine, without fault, and untouchable. There has been intrigue when Captain (retired) RobaS3 found himself under investigation from the Kempetai. There has been an ongoing debate on the usefulness of Battleships whether alongside or instead of Carriers. Meanwhile the war drags on, as reported by Utsunimiya, who has been accused of being biased both for and against the IJA, all the while making small jabs at his 'advisers', and selectively disregarding their advice. It's really a lot of fun, and if you want to join, all you have to do is click on the link, read what's already happened (or don't), and make up your own colourful character. You don't even have to name him or her, but it surely helps to have a premise, something you want to root for, or against, in whichever way you see fit.
- Quick and Dirty 2: A Soviet Resurgence (HOI3 - March 1944 start) by @Bullfilter . The exciting sequel to France: A Quick and Dirty HOI3 AAR, where the Soviet Union tries it's best to drive Japanese forces out of Siberia, all while it nervously builds up forces on it's European Border, and lays the ground work for a Nuclear disaster which is likely to make Moscow into a radioactive wasteland within the coming decade. (making things very 'Dirty' indeed)
- Der Adler, der Wolf, und die Sonne: Die Geschichte des Stahlpakts by my illustrious predecessor, @Wraith11B A look at how the Axis would have fared if the British had forgotten everything that made them the world's foremost naval power. Delight in the destruction of the Royal Navy, in detailed representations of aeroplanes and ships, all to scale, and in the fact that this AAR shows you the perspective of all three major Axis nations at the same time. This is made possible by the AuthAAR's impressive multi-computer multi-tasking skills. (and he's been talking about adding more computers and trying to save the Allied war effort as well...)
- Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936 by @Bullfilter . A blockbuster of an AAR (started barely a month before mine, in January 2017), which intertwines the fortunes of a Comintern (but not Communist) Turkey with a large host of characters, some historical ones, many of them adapted from popular movie characters, and/or given the faces of popular actors of today and yesteryear. A plucky Turkish empire buries the hatchet with it's big Northern Neighbour, and together they face the Axis hordes. It's a story of David versus Goliath, except that David is backed up by a bigger, clumsier, giant of a Bear, and a bald eagle which bankrolls much of the endeavour. Meanwhile spies duke it out in the shadowy corners of Ankara and Istanbul as Turkey has become an international hive for espionage activities by all the great powers, (and many minor ones). No one is who he/she seems, and everyone is a suspect.
- "A wehraboo and a hat in charge of Italy" A story AAR by @Farsky I do believe the title is very well chosen as it is a perfect description of what you can expect when reading this one. Marvel at the Italian 'discount Fallschirmjaeger' Division in North Africa, and the Super Heavy Battleship 'Emperor Tiger' of the Regia Kriegsmarina. An AAR that doesn't take itself seriously in the least, to the great delight of all it's readers.

HOI 4:
- The Thorn of the Rose by @stnylan . A frightening tale of a secret society of vampires. They're all very mysterious and quite vile creatures working within a rigid hierarchy to an unclear end. We have yet to find out where HOI 4 will come into this one, but it's brilliant nonetheless.

CK 2:
- Road of Queens - CKII India AAR by @Eurasia . Greek Bhuddists in India. The Mauryan empire, run by the Disnomia dynasty attempts to expand and thrive in the dangerous North-East of India. With Mongols to the North-West, and Chinese to the North-East, the only real way to expand is into the Indian peninsula. Read tales of the glorious lord Meow-Meow, of endless arranged marriages, and rowdy vassals. Nothing is easy, but despite it all the Empire built by Basileus Niphon and his ancestors will continue to thrive for centuries to come. (unless the Mongols, or the Chinese, or maybe the Aztec come knocking...)

CK 3:
- Ged's Existential Nightmare by @TheButterflyComposer . A tale of Swedish incompetence, Irish stupidity, and annoying UI design. A unique take on the tutorial for Paradox's latest title. I read it in a week, and despite not having bought the game, nor played CKII, it was a thoroughly enjoyable read, though it must be sad that it contains disappointingly few alliterations.

I'd like to thank also everyone who has ever commented, and in particular all those who have regularly commented on my own work. This community is friendly and beautiful place, at least in my experience. Friends like @Bullfilter , @nuclearslurpee , @Wraith11B , @El Pip and many others have warmed my heart and helped me get through some tough times. To all the lurkers out there. You don't know what you're missing out on until you start commenting. You could be enhancing your experience by entering in direct contact with the authAAR, just as much as you would be enhancing the authAAR's experience, showing you appreciate his/her work, and helping him/her with constructive criticism, and support, so have at it.

Please remember to vote in the Q3 2020 ACAs. These awAARds are yet another way to share with the rest of the forum, and with their authAAR's which works you particularly enjoy.

Now onto the main event.

Drumroll please:

After careful consideration of all factors, I have selected @serutan as the next Fan of the Week. Rather interestingly, he has received this award once before, also from me, back in 2018. I still enjoy his short but insightful comments on my own AAR. But what pushed him into the lead this time was his contribution to Utsunimiya's War - HoI3(TFH) Japan AAR, where he has decided to propose and continues to defend the concept of a Japanese Air Force, to the dismay of both IJN and IJA proponents of all different flavours. By picking this dangerous position, he has added spice to many a debate, often butting heads with IJN Captain (retired) RobaS3 (yours truly).

I wish you all good health and an excellent sunday,

RoverS3

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Ged's Existential Nightmare by @TheButterflyComposer . A tale of Swedish incompetence, Irish stupidity, and annoying UI design. A unique take on the tutorial for Paradox's latest title. I read it in a week, and despite no having bought the game, nor played CKII, it was a thoroughly enjoyable read, though it must be said that it contains disappointingly few alliterations.

It's a bizarre little beast. Thanks for the shout out. No idea why I'm suddenly known for alliteration but take heart in knowing that the Irish are at the very least unimaginative name givers. Everything either begins with G or is called Brian. Except John-Paul of course, she who ended up being a crusader queen.

Excellent list of AAR recommendations otherwise. And well done to the new fan of the week!

• 2Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
No idea why I'm suddenly known for alliteration
Devious deliberations do dwell down dearest darkest dungeon, despite dire desperation directing daring danger during darting darkness. Destabilising depression denotes disabling derangement.
Doctor? Direct Daisy's decreased dosage due disease?
Damn! Death departs daintly dear... dumb duty doth direct decay!

Dawn...deeply disdain.
I'm sure you can figure it out...

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Congratulations!

• 1Like
Reactions: